Apple says iPhone 4 calculates bars wrong, software fix forthcoming

Comments

• Reply 81 of 435
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

This is a sad day for Apple.

26 years ago, Apple threw the hammer at Big Brother.

Now, Apple is Big Brother.

2 + 2 = 5

Nothing is what it seems.
  • Reply 82 of 435
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Apple won't replace ip4's with this issue. Luckily Vodafone will though, so when they get new stock in I'll have a new one to try out. Because I went to them within the 7 day timeframe for ending your contract with no fees, they have also said that if that ip4 has the same issues I can still drop out of my contract as if I was still in the 7 day window. I will keep the phone though even if it has the same issues because it's otherwise a fantastic device.

The problem for the people with a real and major problem is they may be being ignored as it is so hard to separate them out from the hysteria. I truly believe there are ip4s which don't work properly, few, but they must exist. I had the original iPhone and it was unable to make a call inside my house but could outside, I got an exchange over night from Apple no questions and the new one worked perfectly. I didn't have millions of Apple haters clogging the media claiming no iPhones worked properly to contend with back then of course.
  • Reply 83 of 435
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    On a related note, Apple has gotten into the weight loss business. All you have to do is apply this simple free software fix to your bathroom scale!
  • Reply 84 of 435
    woodworkswoodworks Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As I said to someone else, maybe your iPhone 4 is a lemon and should be changed out. The problem with the hysteria is genuine problem phones are being drowned out by the fuss about good ones being used in poor signal areas that think they are in a good area due to the false bars. I am not doubting you at all.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is my SECOND iPhone 4! Apple already changed out my first one after my first one completely lost service when I held it normally. What, am I just unlucky? Seriously, pull your head out of the sand.
  • Reply 85 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

Hey digitalclips, read this and try to understand it: when I hold my iPhone 4 in my left hand, after ten seconds the signal display drops from 5 bars to "No Service" AND I completely lose signal. No voice, no data, nada. When I hold my iPhone 3G or my wife's original iPhone in the same manner, I drop at most 1 bar, and I can continue to use either phone normally. I've done this test a number of times now, in different locations. So can you please stop with the "all phones do that" lie. It's verifiably not true! Repeating it ad nauseum is not going to make it any truer.

Repeating your theory ad nauseum won't make it any truer either.

1. The iPhone 3G's antenna is in a different location, so the same "death grip" won't have the same effect.

2. All phones DO have some form of signal degradation. Every phone I've owned from Nokias to Sony Ericssons have a quiet little note in the manual saying 'avoid touching the phone in this area because that's where the aerial is.' Yes, the iPhones' signal degradation seems to be worse than other phones, but part of the reason why it seems worse to John Q public is because the signal strength reading was too optimistic in the first place. Your phone isn't dropping from 5 bars to none, it's dropping from maybe 1 or 2 bars, it's just reporting the strength wrong.

3. The fact that so many people have differing opinions means this issue might not be as true as you think. I've only noticed reception issues when deliberately holding the phone in an unnatural and uncomfortable position, and I've never had a call drop of data disappear other than in known areas of crap signal, and even then it holds on much better than my 3G did. Oh yes, and I'm left-handed and use the phone in my left hand.
  • Reply 86 of 435
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try thinking of an analogy ... if your car was telling you you had 100 more miles to go on a tank before you needed gas and you kept running out would you feel the car had a problem or the reading? When the manufacturer fixed it showing you now get 100 miles less from a tank full would you feel you had a bad car now?

And that is exactly what Apple is fixing here; the actual reporting of signal strength. But, in your analogy, if it was not uncommon for some drivers to reproduce a problem where when they pressed the gas not only did the fuel gage show a sudden drop, but the gas tank actually emptied itself. In that case, the fuel gage might be faulty, but there is still no gas in the tank. The iOS might be misreporting the signal strength, but the iPhone 4 design still seems to lead to greater actual signal loss than designs with an internal antenna.

Admitting to the accuracy problem is good. Failing to address or acknowledge the actual physical problems caused by the physical design is not.
  • Reply 87 of 435
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    The problem here is the return window is going to close before Apple admits the antenna problem lat alone comes up with a solution that might or might not help. We're over a week in and they've still not admitted the real issue exists.
  • Reply 88 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength," Apple's letter reads. "For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars."

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.

AND/OR

Statistics are like a drunk with a lampost: used more for support than illumination.

Winston Churchill
  • Reply 89 of 435
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -LD View Post

I'm with you. I don't see how this, in any way, addresses the issues. I don't own an iPhone 4 (I'm waiting for the problems to be fixed). But I went to an AT&T store yesterday and could reliably reproduce the problem without "tightly gripping" it. I only needed to bridge the two antennae with one finger. That was enough to drop to no signal after a few seconds. I could make it happen faster if I cupped it in my hand. ... .

Apple made it clear that the iPhone4 behaves as any other phone with regard to reduced signal strength when handled in a normal way.

When handled abnormally as you describe (wow it must be really inconvenient to call like this) everything is possible; try calling under water for example.

J.
  • Reply 90 of 435
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Maybe I'm a little slow or something, but how exactly does this fix the problem that many of are having where when holding the phone, we get dropped speeds and/or dropped calls?

This seems to be ONLY a fix to display the way bars are displayed on the screen. Or am I reading this PR wrong?
  • Reply 91 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

What inadequate signal strength are you referring to? Anand's tests (and Apple's tests, although you'll probably ignore those) show that the iPHone 4 has GREATER sensitivity than other phones, not less.

...and Anand's report also shows it suffers from GREATER actual signal loss when 'held wrong'. It's only fair not to cherry pick from the analysis. More honest that way.

It is a much better antenna than previous models. It is also more susceptible to signal loss. Thankfully, it is so much better an antenna, that even with lower signal strength, it results in better call quality. But, that doesn't change the fact that it's design can result in greater signal loss and so result in dropped calls and loss of signal.
  • Reply 92 of 435
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cousin Dirk View Post

2. All phones DO have some form of signal degradation. Every phone I've owned from Nokias to Sony Ericssons have a quiet little note in the manual saying 'avoid touching the phone in this area because that's where the aerial is.' Yes, the iPhones' signal degradation seems to be worse than other phones, but part of the reason why it seems worse to John Q public is because the signal strength reading was too optimistic in the first place. Your phone isn't dropping from 5 bars to none, it's dropping from maybe 1 or 2 bars, it's just reporting the strength wrong.

but part of the reason why it is worse to John Q public is because the iPhone 4 is the only one with a totally exposed external antenna.

Fixed that for ya. This is basic engineering.
  • Reply 93 of 435
    Quote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this is my SECOND iPhone 4! Apple already changed out my first one after my first one completely lost service when I held it normally. What, am I just unlucky? Seriously, pull your head out of the sand.

Then logic dictates you need to move to a stronger reception area ... your bars are currently showing an incorrect level according to all reports I read. The ability to block a signal can only occur if the signal is below a certain strength. Either that or be thankful for the extra sensitivity it has and use a bumper or hold it differently.
  • Reply 94 of 435
    Makes sense and is consistent with my experience comparing my 3G with my iP4.

And in someways could be a blessing in disguise for my US chums. If this doesn't motivate Apple into going multi-carrier in the US then i don't know what will.

At least we in the UK have a choice to move to a different carrier. Whereas it's a pretty tall order to move home for the sake of a decent phone reception.
  • Reply 95 of 435
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The problem here is the return window is going to close before Apple admits the antenna problem lat alone comes up with a solution that might or might not help. We're over a week in and they've still not admitted the real issue exists.

No problem at all. Just return it now.
  • Reply 96 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

but part of the reason why it is worse to John Q public is because the iPhone 4 is the only one with a totally exposed external antenna.

Fixed that for ya. This is basic engineering.

Which by all accounts actually gives it greater sensitivity. If you don't want to take advantage of that then you need to accept the blocking. Frankly if I were told, you can actually get a signal where you otherwise couldn't BUT you have to hold it funny, I would. I used to have to drive 15 miles to get a signal in the New Hampshire mountains when we went there each summer, so changing the grip in a weak signal area seems a breeze! ( BTW, that was pre iPhone and I had some other carrier I forget now at the time)
  • Reply 97 of 435
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Nop, the measurement was calibrated with the bars shown on the iPhone4. The problem is that according to Apple (and I'am sure they are sure) the bars shown where wrong. And there goes your calibration.

Maybe someone should sue Anand for such 'ignorant' measurements and presenting results that are wrong. They should have used the actual signal strength shown in db's on the iPhone but that wasn't possible in the short time frame.

Excellent work of Apple to find the cause of the problem this fast, between a bombardment of confusing and conflicting information. This is really difficult to do.

J.

No, Anand used the actual signal strength reported by the iPhone NOT the bars. The bars, as admitted by Apple, use a flawed algorithm to display the actual signal strength. But the signal strength itself can be accurately reported numerically, which is what Anand did.
  • Reply 98 of 435
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    OK I just visited the ATT store yesterday. Indicated 5 bars there and I had no problem w downloading 3g webpages. Left store, went 50 yards away (no buildings or obstructions anywhere around and same 5 bars indicated) and- download stopped cold while touching bottom left antenna (decreased to 2 bars shown). Downloading resumed immediately after lifting finger. Duplicated again to verify results. So -- you tell me this is a software fix? Don't believe it.
  • Reply 99 of 435
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:

Presmabley you were able to get the replacement befoe Mon/Tues of this week as they now aren't giving anyone replacements for this issue. I think what happened to you is likely to happen to me too, but I'm going to get a replacement just in case it does actually improve it.
  • Reply 100 of 435
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

And that is exactly what Apple is fixing here; the actual reporting of signal strength. But, in your analogy, if it was not uncommon for some drivers to reproduce a problem where when they pressed the gas not only did the fuel gage show a sudden drop, but the gas tank actually emptied itself. In that case, the fuel gage might be faulty, but there is still no gas in the tank. The iOS might be misreporting the signal strength, but the iPhone 4 design still seems to lead to greater actual signal loss than designs with an internal antenna.

Admitting to the accuracy problem is good. Failing to address or acknowledge the actual physical problems caused by the physical design is not.

The main issue here is the drop from 5 bars to zero. If it was a drop from 2 or 1 bar to zero then you won't be hearing anyone complaining because it is expected and no one would have noticed it. I have been using GSM phones for the last 15 years abroad and in the US and it is normal for a phone to drop 1 or 2 bars when you hold it in your hand.