AT&T not throttling iPhone 4 upload bandwidth

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milan03 View Post

Tell that to hundreds of att users that expressed themselves on this topic. If this wasnt discussed on macrumors forum, we wouldnt have respectable sites like Engadget, Gizmodo, Tuaw, 9to5mac picking the story up and talking on this issue, and making some positive actions by contacting att and requesting the official statement.

Maybe you see it only as a forum nonsense, maybe that is how you want it to be, but the fact of the matter is that power of internet is much greater, and thanks to those sites, we may get some positive outcome pretty soon.

You entirely missed the point I made.
  • Reply 42 of 94
    milan03milan03 Posts: 15member
    The accident or not, we are paying our bill and as end users, and contractualy tied with ATT, and we can certainly speak our mind if we feel that somethign isn't right.

I'm not sure if I missed your point or you missed mine, but I never claimed that att is purposely capping the speeds. I said that they are capping them. I don't care what is the problem, but until they come out and first of all acknowledge that there is an issue, then give us the time frame, I am an unhappy customer, and experiencing upload speed throttling at 100kbs 24/7 for the last 5 days.

Simple as that.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    mehmeh Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL That?s pretty funny. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I had to check why I'm getting EDGE speeds when my display shows I have a 3G connection. Another software "glitch"?

I think I'm going to test drive the Evo and/or the Droid X (ETA July 15th).

In the mean time I'm going to make some pop corn and have some fun following this thread.
  • Reply 44 of 94
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's far worse than usual. Some of the worst delays have seen the best speeds, and visa versa. Really odd all around.

I just tried again, and got latency of 3341, download of 776, and upload of 55.

Now I used a server from Philly, and got a latency of 2364, download of 974, and upload of 34.

Those upload numbers are so low, that there's got to be a major bottleneck somewhere.

Just for the heck of it, I used a server from Toronto. I got a DOWNLOAD of 72, but an upload of 136. What does THAT mean?

Now to dinner.

According to apple, you are holding it wrong or are in a low service area. Ohhh I like this icon:

What does the apple store say? Did they resolve your problem? Please stop making up stuff or post some proof please. KTHX MOEW!
  • Reply 45 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

It maybe true that although the NOC folks are there over the holiday weekend, the coders are not. No surprise.

But who then is the dork who approved deployment of new software on the Friday before a holiday weekend??

That is just plain stupid.

Well there is little doubt what you do for a living. 24/7 ball and chain. Been there. Come to think of it, still there.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meh View Post

Thanks! I had to check why I'm getting EDGE speeds when my display shows I have a 3G connection. Another software "glitch"?

In the mean time I'm going to make some pop corn and have some fun following this thread.

I only got edge speeds with a 3G icon on ATT. I'm not going into many details but a year or so of fighting with them.

I even asked if they have a speed test server, even though I know that it won't be 100% accurate, and they said NO WE DON'T HAVE ONE. I was just asking, as an engineer, about their methodology for speed problems.

ATT DSL services has a speed test server FWIW. I had to cancel that.

Meh, you might be better off with an Evo if you like a city carrier, or a Droid X for much better coverage, especially driving or in rural areas. Don't forget the Incredible, which is simply incredible, or the Moto Droid, which has a LOT of development behind it!

But let's not get way off topic. Let's try to focus on the ATT issues over this weekend.
  • Reply 47 of 94
    opmiskopmisk Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're assuming that this is affecting everyone, everywhere. This isn't the case. It's sporadic.

I just did my own test again. I went back to Optima Online, the NYC server. Last time, with them, I got absurd times. This time I got 974 download, and 125 upload. The upload is still low, but several times higher than before, and the download is almost 20 times faster.

So there is some problem here, but it also is dependent on the local server being used. With Speedtest, I find that choosing different servers gives me different speeds, sometimes several times as much. That's not AT&T's fault. Certainly not in the sense of something deliberately applied to the network.

As Mods, we have nothing to do with the reportage. Apparently, someone was spoken to about this, as the info was specific.

Check the spreadsheet of speeds at the end of the article from Wired. Look at 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5 compared to dates prior. Certainly doesn't look sporadic to me.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...le+Feedfetcher
  • Reply 48 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Whatever it is, the speeds ARE capped at 100kbps.

No, they're not. 'Capped' implies an intentional limit. As it is, the fact that SOME people in SOME cities get less than that doesn't tell you much of anything.

Quote:

Seriously, you should read the whole post on macrumors forums before assuming that i think that everyone is affected.

AGAIN, there is a list with over 30 markets that is affected with upload speed issue. So, read the whole thing, then make the conclusion. There are about 350 posts on this issue, please do some reading, and inform yourself.

Sorry, I'm in one of the 'affected' markets. 1215 kbps up, 735 kbps down. It's not a universal problem.

Quote:

Tell that to hundreds of att users that expressed themselves on this topic.

350 posts.

Of the 350:

20 - people experiencing a problem (actually, more like 5 people reporting a problem 4 times each)

120 - people saying "I don't have a problem"

90 - people saying AT&T sucks - on general principles

110 - people saying that real men use Android phones

10 - people who write mindless anti-Apple posts simply because it's a Mac forum

Besides, even if all 350 were unique, AT&T has something like 60 million customers. At any one time, I'm sure that there are thousands of people who have problems for one reason or another.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by opmisk View Post

Check the spreadsheet of speeds at the end of the article from Wired. Look at 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5 compared to dates prior. Certainly doesn't look sporadic to me.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/...le+Feedfetcher

You might want to learn a little bit about statistics and random events before making a big deal about one phone with a dozen data points. Out of the 2 million AT&T iPhones, you can probably find one with almost any pattern you wish. Heck, I'm sure there are iPhones that have never gone below 2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up over that time frame. Does that mean that EVERYONE gets the same results?
  • Reply 49 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, they're not. 'Capped' implies an intentional limit. As it is, the fact that SOME people in SOME cities get less than that doesn't tell you much of anything.

Sorry, I'm in one of the 'affected' markets. 1215 kbps up, 735 kbps down. It's not a universal problem.

350 posts.

Of the 350:

20 - people experiencing a problem (actually, more like 5 people reporting a problem 4 times each)

Besides, even if all 350 were unique, AT&T has something like 60 million customers. At any one time, I'm sure that there are thousands of people who have problems for one reason or another.

Im not getting your point. At all. Are you happy that customers are getting 100kbps for the past 5 days? Or what exactly is it? Also I didnt get your area. I could claim that I'm from LA and getting capped but that would be a lie.

And just to clarify something... When you connection is at 100kbps constantly, and you see in the speedtest how your upload starts at about 800kbps, then by the end of the test drops to about 80kbps, you realize that the soft cap has to be put on those markets. Now I'm not trying to get into the reason why they've done it, if they are upgradin, having outages, or something else, but the fact of the matter is that our upload is maxing out at about 100kbps 24/7. Tested it on my unlimited plan, my friends's metered plan, metered + tethering plan, iPad, etc... Not trying to flame here, but where did you guys get the info that AT&T is not throttling the speeds down for selected markets? Just curious..
  • Reply 50 of 94
    opmiskopmisk Posts: 2member
    Quote:

350 posts.

Of the 350:

You might want to learn a little bit about statistics and random events before making a big deal about one phone with a dozen data points. Out of the 2 million AT&T iPhones, you can probably find one with almost any pattern you wish. Heck, I'm sure there are iPhones that have never gone below 2 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up over that time frame. Does that mean that EVERYONE gets the same results?

Just as you obviously didn't read the macForums link, you certainly didn't hit the Wired link. Try it again bro, and this time, when you examine the spreadsheet, tell me you don't see a pattern in EVERY city listed for the days following July 2nd ( that would be 7/3, 7/4, and 7/5, if you're having trouble following ).

And, since you're obviously qualified to weed out who the 'data experts' are, I'm sure you'd be more than happy to explain the apparent pattern.

Additionally, I've not had a single upload speed over 100 kbps since 7/2. That is 'throttling'.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    jayhammyjayhammy Posts: 63member
    This doesn't make sense at all. I'm getting 1.10 Mbps down and 0.78 up on my Droid Incredible in Albany, NY on Verizon. I'd be interested in seeing what AT&T customers are getting in this area. This is a little slower than normal both up and down at this time of night.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    mehmeh Posts: 5member
    I'm sure you "experts" are not helping by running speed tests. You're only making things worse! AT&T's network is overloaded as it is. Let AT&T fix the issue and let's see what excuse they give.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Im not getting your point. At all. Are you happy that customers are getting 100kbps for the past 5 days? Or what exactly is it? Also I didnt get your area. I could claim that I'm from LA and getting capped but that would be a lie.

The point is that you are looking at a very small number of data points out of tens of millions of users. AND, those data points are self-selected.

Why not wait for real facts and evidence rather than the self-selected complaints from a few people who are having problems?
  • Reply 54 of 94
    Quote:

The point is that you are looking at a very small number of data points out of tens of millions of users. AND, those data points are self-selected.

Why not wait for real facts and evidence rather than the self-selected complaints from a few people who are having problems?

Well, with your posts titled AT&T NOT thottling speeds, we might have to wait till the next iPhone release to get this problem solved. You're are helping, clearly...
  • Reply 55 of 94
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    It's not just iPhone 4, and it's not just upload speeds. I'm experiencing the same issues on an iPhone 3G, and I suspect everyone is seeing some degradation in download speed too.

I've been getting less than ~150kbps down and less than 100kbps up (typically much less.)
  • Reply 56 of 94
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Something seems to be going on.

Could it be that AT&T has discovered that the poor transmission capability of iPhone 4 is harming the 3G network when it tries to upload fast, and they are capping to limit the damage?

Suppose I'll also add that I think it could just be an accidental throttle. But it certainly looks like a throttle of some kind, with numerous devices (but apparently not all?) in widely dispersed areas suddenly hitting the same number, starting at the same time.
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

Could it be that AT&T has discovered that the poor transmission capability of iPhone 4 is harming the 3G network when it tries to upload fast, and they are capping to limit the damage?

Negative.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    Quote:

The accident or not, we are paying our bill and as end users, and contractualy tied with ATT, and we can certainly speak our mind if we feel that somethign isn't right.

I'm not sure if I missed your point or you missed mine, but I never claimed that att is purposely capping the speeds. I said that they are capping them. I don't care what is the problem, but until they come out and first of all acknowledge that there is an issue, then give us the time frame, I am an unhappy customer, and experiencing upload speed throttling at 100kbs 24/7 for the last 5 days.

Simple as that.

When you say that a company is "capping" speeds, that strongly implies that it is a deliberate action. I believe you know that, and are now dissembling.

The point it that it's not likely that this is intentional. There is no reason why AT&T would do this after so publicly enabling HSUPA.

Will they acknowledge this? I hope so. Will they fix it? I would expect so. But it's better than having service go out entirely.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post

I'm having a hard time understanding why people are trying so hard to make this an iPhone 4 issue. This is happening to other devices too. I personally am experiencing it on an iPhone 3G, and it has been reported for android users and iPad too. You can't chalk it up to just the iPhone 4, just iOS 4, etc.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meh View Post

Don't go to the EVO. In order to get a halfway useful battery life, you're going to have to turn 4G, 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth off. Doesn't leave much. It also has a terrible screen.