Apple's new iPod touch rumored to have 5MP camera, FaceTime

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new report alleges that Apple's next iPod touch, expected to arrive this September, will have a 5 megapixel camera, capture HD video, feature FaceTime connectivity, and include a gyroscope, like the iPhone 4.



U.K. retailer John Lewis said the information is based on "noises we're hearing from suppliers," according to electricpig.co.uk. Though no mention was specifically made of a forward-facing camera at the company's presentation in London, it did say that FaceTime calling over Wi-Fi would be possible "so you can communicate with friends at zero cost."



The purported details of Apple's new iPod touch were revealed at the John Lewis "Xmas in July" event. The retailer also claimed that the new iPod touch will include a camera flash for improved pictures in the dark, like the iPhone 4. It also said that users would be able to upload their HD videos directly to YouTube from the device, over Wi-Fi.



Finally, John Lewis also said the new iPod touch is expected to include both an accelerometer and a gyroscope. The hardware addition already found in the iPhone 4 allows a new, more precise control method for game titles on the App Store.



The company made no mention whether the iPod touch would receive some of the other additions of the iPhone 4, namely the 640-by-960 pixel Retina Display, or Apple's custom-built A4 processor.







Apple was originally rumored to add a camera to its iPod touch at last year's annual September iPod event, but the feature was allegedly pulled due to bad parts with the camera modules. But the Cupertino, Calif., company did add a video camera to last year's updated iPod nano.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 76
    successsuccess Posts: 1,039member
    But will it have a blu-ray player?





    Btw, I'm first so suck it.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    There should be at least one model of the iPod touch that is exactly the same as the iPhone except for the actual phone features. Everything else should be identical, including the A4 process, the Retina display, GPS, compass, two cameras, gyroscope, accelerometer, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Same camera found in the iPhone 4 would be nice.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    mcdaviesmcdavies Posts: 43member
    That's a stretch. I'm hoping for GPS. Just for my running aps if nothing else.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    markkmarkk Posts: 13member
    Can't wait, this might finally be the apple product that I preorder, my 2g is feeling sluggish
  • Reply 6 of 76
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    It seems weird that the nano has had a camera all this time and the touch still does not.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post


    There should be at least one model of the iPod touch that is exactly the same as the iPhone except for the actual phone features. Everything else should be identical, including the A4 process, the Retina display, GPS, compass, two cameras, gyroscope, accelerometer, etc.



    That's interesting, but what would the difference be in price - given what AT&T pays Apple for iPhones?
  • Reply 8 of 76
    iancass79iancass79 Posts: 80member
    Why wouldn't it? Why would apple not allow FaceTime to other things than the iPhone? They're proud of it and I think they want as many as possible to be able to use it. For example, right now I can talk to my wife and buddy only because they have iPhone 4 now if it went to the new touch, tons of people I know could take advantage of it.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post


    That's interesting, but what would the difference be in price - given what AT&T pays Apple for iPhones?



    Something less than the GSM features and licenses cost; it could be a high end iPod (if there's even a market for that). But I'd rather see Apple to sell the phone unlocked ($600) like they are required to do in some EU markets.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post


    Why wouldn't it? Why would apple not allow FaceTime to other things than the iPhone? They're proud of it and I think they want as many as possible to be able to use it. For example, right now I can talk to my wife and buddy only because the have iPhone 4 not it went to the new touch, tons of people I know could take advantage of it.



    Why not add FaceTime to desktop Mac OS X as well? since it is WiFi only anyway - and tons of Macs out there already have built-in camera - would allow video chat with far more folks. Maybe even an option to forward a FaceTime chat request from one device to the other.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    I've always wondered how FaceTime would work to devices that doesn't have telephony, such as computers and iPod touches. How does the initiating device know where to call? I thought that FaceTime uses telephony for discovery and handshaking. Does anyone have a good take on this?
  • Reply 12 of 76
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Apple has so many sleeper hits it's crazy... think they'll build FaceTime into iTunes soon?
  • Reply 13 of 76
    iPod shuffle will get a camera, can't see it happening for the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    yeah bring on the video
  • Reply 15 of 76
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Henriok View Post


    I've always wondered how FaceTime would work to devices that doesn't have telephony, such as computers and iPod touches. How does the initiating device know where to call? I thought that FaceTime uses telephony for discovery and handshaking. Does anyone have a good take on this?



    interesting info here - http://youshottheinvisibleswordsman....pen-standards/ - doesn't really answer the question - but leads me to believe it should not be too tough a technological terror for the Moffs to create.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    iancass79iancass79 Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


    Why not add FaceTime to desktop Mac OS X as well? since it is WiFi only anyway - and tons of Macs out there already have built-in camera - would allow video chat with far more folks. Maybe even an option to forward a FaceTime chat request from one device to the other.



    I wonder if they will let this move to being useable with iChat? I was surprised that they didn't do this in the first place. I don't understand the technology behind it right now. Seems much more complicated than it needs to be.



    You have some good points too about how it should be used.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    gqmacgqmac Posts: 4member
    ... the iphone4 is pretty much an ipod if you hold it correctly!
  • Reply 18 of 76
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    This rumor is a nice one. If true, this would not only make the iPod touch lot more useful to the buyers, but also become a true communications device. It's strategically important for Apple to remove the operators out of the equation as they go forward.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gqmac View Post


    ... the iphone4 is pretty much an ipod if you hold it correctly!



    Nice one! :-)
  • Reply 20 of 76
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    I too hope that the Touch moves very close to the iPhone feature set.



    Lack of camera and GPS are becoming more and more of a detriment to Touch usefulness as more and more apps make use of those features. A built in microphone and Bluetooth handsfree are essential as well - with a good VOIP app (where are you Skype?) could be extremely disruptive to the cell carriers. Let's hope.



    The unsubsidized iPhone is ridiculously overpriced. Yes all those features would raise the price, but to $600? Puhlease.
Sign In or Register to comment.