BMW to support Apple's new iPod Out feature of iOS 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new feature of iOS 4 that enables iPhone and iPod touch devices to present a full featured control panel on an external display for use in automotive integration is getting official support from BMW.

The new "iPod Out" feature was originally profiled in April after developers noted support for the extended new "iPod Accessory Protocol" in pre-release betas of iOS 4.

At the time, it was speculated that the feature would enable the integration of a "video screen to show the menus and custom physical buttons that would produce the notifications to allow the user to move through those menus and select from them," presenting a simplified display nearly identical to the iPod classic and nano.

According to a YouTube video posted by BMW, the car maker will be adding support for the new feature in its BMW and Mini cars starting next year.

The video notes that unlike existing iPod car integration systems that provide basic playback controls, the iOS iPod Out feature exposes more advanced features such as Genius Mixes and presents a familiar Apple interface, "which is one of the main advantages of the system," the company notes.

The company says it hosts the new iOS feature in a "BMW automotive experience," which includes a navigation dial and buttons placed near the driver's right hand and the car's dash-integrated video display.

The video notes that engineers at BMW's Palo Alto technology office in "Silicone Valley" have been working on the project for three years in tight integration with German engineers in the BMW Research and Innovation Centre's Project House in Munich.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    That's really cool. Some companies ( Volvo, Mercedes ) put a lot of effort into to placing the information where you can see it and be safe driving. And it's always a pain trying to get a car's systems and a 3rd party's systems to place nicely together. It's a factor when I buy a new car.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Here's to hoping BMW will be able to do a software upgrade on compatible models when this feature becomes available early next year, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, it's nice to see vehicle manufacturers embracing external 3rd party technology in this manner. Personally, I think it would be awesome if Apple designed BMWs next iDrive system. Not that the current one is bad, it's a significant improvement over the 1st generation iDrive system, but an Apple designed iDrive system would be sweet.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

That's really cool. Some companies ( Volvo, Mercedes ) put a lot of effort into to placing the information where you can see it and be safe driving. And it's always a pain trying to get a car's systems and a 3rd party's systems to place nicely together. It's a factor when I buy a new car.

Common guys its 2010!!! all this stuff should be part of the HUD system.

HUD + augmented reality is where its at!!!

I should never have to take my eyes off the road. When I'm looking at the car in front of me i should see snoop dog on that car via HUD and hit play or pause or rewind.

Common Cadillac show these fools how its done!

lol
  • Reply 4 of 33
    This is going to be what all cars will goto eventually. Why do you need multiple devices in a car when we are quickily getting to the point that a portable device can handle everything you need? Google Earth on the iPad is the best GPS I have used to date.

I am very happy BMW is taking the lead on this. It means it will be done right!
  • Reply 5 of 33
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Well great for those who can afford a band spanking new Bimmer. How about something for the rest of the vagabonds?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Wait - is this the same BMW that earlier settled on Windows CE for their automotive technology platform? How did that work out for them?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i can't wait for a better auto-audio system, and apple will no-doubt have the best out there. the music box in my infiniti is great AFTER you take about a hundred hours to import and categorize cd's... and there's no genius feature, just "play by category" with four poorly named categories.

off-topic, but the infiniti nav gets outdated FAST and the software updates cost as much as a flagship garmin does.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Wait - is this the same BMW that earlier settled on Windows CE for their automotive technology platform? How did that work out for them?

BMW stopped using Windows CE when they switched to VxWorks in 2003. I can't comment on how bad it was as I didn't get an iDrive equipped vehicle until 2007. That system, though still based on the 1st generation iDrive layout, was quite stable, never crashing for me. In 2008, BMW switched to QNX and I can say that the current iDrive system is a marked improvement over the previous one. Still, an Apple-designed iDrive system would be pretty sweet.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i can't wait for a better auto-audio system, and apple will no-doubt have the best out there. the music box in my infiniti is great AFTER you take about a hundred hours to import and categorize cd's... and there's no genius feature, just "play by category" with four poorly named categories.

off-topic, but the infiniti nav gets outdated FAST and the software updates cost as much as a flagship garmin does.

Forgive me for asking, but didn't your Infiniti come with an iPod/MP3 adaptor? My car lets me import songs onto the internal HDD as well, but what's the point when I can dock my 160GB iPod Classic and have my entire music library with me wherever I drive?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

On my Lexus, I simply plug my iPod into the USB port and then the controls appear on screen. I can choose by playlist, artist, etc. With the HUD option, I can see the songs without taking my eyes off the road.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Forgive me for asking, but didn't your Infiniti come with an iPod/MP3 adaptor? My car lets me import songs onto the internal HDD as well, but what's the point when I can dock my 160GB iPod Classic and have my entire music library with me wherever I drive?

I don't have the Nav or HDD system, but I do have the iPod connector on my 2008 G37. I hate it. Navigating the playlists is slow. I have this big display area, but for some reason Infiniti decided to squeeze everything in the top third of the display. And the worse is that the car keeps the iPod from sleeping, which drains the iPod's battery. Then when you turn on the car, the radio starts playing and when the iPod finally boots back up from a dead battery, the iPod suddenly takes control of the audio.

I would SO love to have an Apple designed audio/display system.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Not sure how much this differs from current technology. I mean great you can see album covers and have better control, but I want to see my apps in the screen, be able to watch video (when stopped of course ; ) ) be able to see maps or Navigation app, or IM. I want full integration and show no evidence that thats where its going in the video. It was more like full integration of your iPod music player, woopee!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

I want full integration and show no evidence that thats where its going in the video. It was more like full integration of your iPod music player, woopee!

The article is about the "iPod Out" feature. It is not about total integration of an iPhone/Touch.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Here's to hoping BMW will be able to do a software upgrade on compatible models when this feature becomes available early next year, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, it's nice to see vehicle manufacturers embracing external 3rd party technology in this manner. Personally, I think it would be awesome if Apple designed BMWs next iDrive system. Not that the current one is bad, it's a significant improvement over the 1st generation iDrive system, but an Apple designed iDrive system would be sweet.

Do you remember when Apple worked with Motorola to create the ROKR?

Apple used the collaboration to gain knowledge and expertise in cellphone design.

A short while later, the iPhone was introduced.

Here's hoping that Apple has it's own parallel project in the works.

Personally, I would love to see an iPad sized touchscreen integrated into the dash.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It’s too bad these features take so long to add to their cars.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    j3ssej3sse Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The video notes that engineers at BMW's Palo Alto technology office in "Silicone Valley" have been working on the project for three years in tight integration with German engineers in the BMW Research and Innovation Centre's Project House in Munich.

Unless there is a lesser-known area between San Francisco and San Jose that produces breast implants... I think you might have meant SILICON Valley. Given the readership, I'm surprised I'm the first person to point this out.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Judgegavel View Post

Not sure how much this differs from current technology. I mean great you can see album covers and have better control, but I want to see my apps in the screen, be able to watch video (when stopped of course ; ) ) be able to see maps or Navigation app, or IM. I want full integration and show no evidence that thats where its going in the video. It was more like full integration of your iPod music player, woopee!

The system in my car can play DVDs when I'm stopped. To be honest, I haven't tried to access a music video from my iPod Classic to see if it would play on the iDrive screen like the DVDs do. Hmm, seeing IMs appear on the screen would be kinda neat, but I think it might prove to be too much of a distraction.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Do you remember when Apple worked with Motorola to create the ROKR?

Apple used the collaboration to gain knowledge and expertise in cellphone design.

A short while later, the iPhone was introduced.

Here's hoping that Apple has it's own parallel project in the works.

Personally, I would love to see an iPad sized touchscreen integrated into the dash.

Now that would be sweet indeed.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    I personally am not a fan of the IDrive system but I think its a perfect companion for iPod integration. It is somewhat reminiscent of the click wheel from the original iPod.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

Common guys its 2010!!! all this stuff should be part of the HUD system.

HUD + augmented reality is where its at!!!

I should never have to take my eyes off the road. When I'm looking at the car in front of me i should see snoop dog on that car via HUD and hit play or pause or rewind.

Common Cadillac show these fools how its done!

lol

I'm sure HUD is on the radars of many car companies. However, I'm betting that the holdup is the DOT. Their safety standards require years of testing before such things are granted approval for use on cars. They're like the FDA of cars.