Growing attention on iPhone 4 signal issues presents risk for Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 192
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmheim View Post

anyone else think Apple already knew about this long before they released the phone? because I don't remember Apple ever releasing a custom case on launch day

Do you remember Apple ever releasing a phone with a glass front AND back? Some people find conspiracies wherever they look. What a maroon!
  • Reply 42 of 192
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

I don't know of anyone who so far has been complaining about loss of signal because they don't clutch the phone with their entire hand. However, you have to wonder why Apple would create the "BUMPER" for the phone. As far as I can remember this is the first time they have created a case or semi-case for the iPhone or iPod Touch. It sorta looks like they thought it could be an issue and this was the quick fix.

No..I think that cases are a tremendous profit opportunity and Apple was tired of letting third parties capture it all. The retail price of cases is absurd, not only for the phone, but also for the iPad. $39 for an iPad case that is basically a small piece of sewn cloth? The manufacturing and labor cost on a bumper is probably well under a dollar.
  • Reply 43 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Do you remember Apple ever releasing a phone with a glass front AND back? Some people find conspiracies wherever they look. What a maroon!

Johnny Ive is a maroon for making a cell phone out of glass!!
  • Reply 44 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

If Apple doesn't issue a convincing fix I think they'll be forced to recall.

And do what? Completely redesign the phone so the antenna is inside? Look, the antenna has BENEFITS as designed. That little factoid was never mentioned by Consumer Reports. It apparantly also has DRAWBACKS. That means some people will like it just like it is and other people won't. The solution: don't buy it if you don't like it, or take it back for a full refund if you bought it and found out you don't like it.

Otherwise STFU!
  • Reply 45 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Th risk has already shown up in the price of the stock today: down over 5% on a market-adjusted basis (as I am writing this). The market cap is veering closer and closer to MSFT....

People at Apple had better take this very seriously. I am predicting shareholder lawsuits as well in the next couple of weeks, if Apple's Board does not address this, going over Steve Jobs's head if needed.

For once the drop the stock seems to be a direct result of bad news and not a market trend.
  • Reply 46 of 192
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmheim View Post

anyone else think Apple already knew about this long before they released the phone? because I don't remember Apple ever releasing a custom case on launch day

The iPad, although they may not have been available on launch day, they were certainly announced well in advance.
  • Reply 47 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Johnny Ive is a maroon for making a cell phone out of glass!!

Yeah, right. Then don't buy one.
  • Reply 48 of 192
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So I guess all the independent tests are all 100% wrong. Prove your case that it's a non-issue for all i4 users. There may be some that it doesn't affect. However that is because they live in a place that has strong signal. We all know the bars are bunch of crap, especially how Apple calculates it. If you live in a stong area, your signal may drop from -63 to -91, which is still in the 5 bar threshold. However if you are at -88 and then drop to -110, you are down to 1 bar. For a lot of people, that's enough to drop the call or get worse voice quality. This is a real issue for a significant number of owners. Anyone who believes otherwise is ignorant.

Just because it doesn't affect a person individually doesn't mean it isn't real.

I think the degree of 'real-ness' of it can be easily measured by the return rate of the device. If it is a significant issue for enough people, enough people will return it.
  • Reply 49 of 192
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

And do what? Completely redesign the phone so the antenna is inside? Look, the antenna has BENEFITS as designed. That little factoid was never mentioned by Consumer Reports. It apparantly also has DRAWBACKS. That means some people will like it just like it is and other people won't. The solution: don't buy it if you don't like it, or take it back for a full refund if you bought it and found out you don't like it.

Otherwise STFU!

You?d think people had never bought anything, much less a cellphone, before. There seems to be some sort of mental disconnect that Apple is forcing them to buy an iPhone 4 whether they want to or not.
  • Reply 50 of 192
    bartbuzzbartbuzz Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

that says that a lot of people don't read tech sites or consumer reports or little blurbs on the today show. they buy the shiny new cool apple thing, and when they, too have reception problems the issue snowballs.

It also says people use the internet or watch TV news. The Apple iPhone reception story has been on all the internet as well as the major news and cable channels. It's hard to believe even the laziest consumer hasn't heard all the hoopla over Apple's iPhone 4.
  • Reply 51 of 192
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plagen View Post

That's why there is no point of paying attention to it.

On a short-term (or even medium-term) basis, I agree. I pay very little attention to stock movements on a daily, weekly or even monthly term. On a longer-term basis, I think Apple's fumbling of this issue, if only as a matter of public relations, could hurt their reputation with consumers. Confidence, once lost, is very difficult to get back.
  • Reply 52 of 192
    Quote:

So I guess all the independent tests are all 100% wrong. Prove your case that it's a non-issue for all i4 users. There may be some that it doesn't affect. However that is because they live in a place that has strong signal. We all know the bars are bunch of crap, especially how Apple calculates it. If you live in a stong area, your signal may drop from -63 to -91, which is still in the 5 bar threshold. However if you are at -88 and then drop to -110, you are down to 1 bar. For a lot of people, that's enough to drop the call or get worse voice quality. This is a real issue for a significant number of owners. Anyone who believes otherwise is ignorant.

Just because it doesn't affect a person individually doesn't mean it isn't real.

First of all, we don't know what CR tested because they published squat in the way of test results.

Second of all, ANY cell phone will drop a call if it's in a weak signal area. Period. Does this phone drop more calls? There's absolutely no proof of that. Does it hold a call better if you hold it a certain way? There's no proof of that either.

So what are the facts? Can't SOMEONE do a decent, objective job of testing and tell us what the facts are? Because CR sure as hell didn't!
  • Reply 53 of 192
    Giving away those God Aweful Ugly rubber bumpers does NOT fix the problem, it just covers it up, and I feel there has been enough cover up on this defect already.

It is past time for a 100% Total Recall and for Apple and jobs to admit to the world and all their fanibois that the iPhone 4 is a broken product.

There has not been a cover up like this since Watergate.
  • Reply 54 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

On a short-term (or even medium-term) basis, I agree. I pay very little attention to stock movements on a daily, weekly or even monthly term. On a longer-term basis, I think Apple's fumbling of this issue, if only as a matter of public relations, could hurt their reputation with consumers. Confidence, once lost, is very difficult to get back.

I doubt it. First, the "fix" hasn't been released yet. Second, a truly objective test of the pro's and con's of the antenna has yet to be done. CR's test didn't say word one about the improved reception when the phone is held properly. And the bit where they make fun of Apple with the duct-tape fix? Real professional, that.
  • Reply 55 of 192
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

Giving away those God Aweful Ugly rubber bumpers does NOT fix the problem, it just covers it up, and I feel there has been enough cover up on this defect already.

It is past time for a 100% Total Recall and for Apple and jobs to admit to the world and all their fanibois that the iPhone 4 is a broken product.

What, do you work for Microsoft or something? What total BS!
  • Reply 56 of 192
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

funny how the 40 or so people i know ALL have reception issues. We can ALL replicate the death grip - i can do it standing four feet in front of my microcell and drop to no signal in about two minutes.

So why don't you all just return the phones and shut up moaning?

Problem solved!
  • Reply 57 of 192
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

We all know the bars are bunch of crap, especially how Apple calculates it.

The bars aren't crap, its user ignorance of what they mean that is the problem. How Apple was calculating it isn't "wrong" either... 5 bars meant "strong enough signal for a clear call", and that's it. Says nothing about it being strong enough if you held it differently, nor anything at all about cell or network loads.

As for how big an issue this actually is... sadly, it doesn't really matter, if there is a big enough stink about it. Its not clear to me what Apple can/should do about it, either. Giving away bumpers isn't an answer, really. Even admitting blindly that there is a problem isn't clearly the right thing as this opens the door for all sorts of actions and responses. I suspect it will take a bit more time for Apple to collect some statistics and study the situation a bit more so that they can come forward with a clear problem description and a well thought out solution to it. Knee jerk responses (which is pretty much what everyone is advocating) are a bigger source of trouble than just staying quiet. It hasn't even been a month yet since the device hit the market, and thus far its only officially in 1 country.
  • Reply 58 of 192
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1stkorean View Post

There has not been such a dumb comment on AI since I can remember.
  • Reply 59 of 192
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I doubt it. First, the "fix" hasn't been released yet. Second, a truly objective test of the pro's and con's of the antenna has yet to be done. CR's test didn't say word one about the improved reception when the phone is held properly. And the bit where they make fun of Apple with the duct-tape fix? Real professional, that.

I'm not sure what part you are doubting. Erosion of confidence is a serious matter for a consumer products company. Despite what you or I may think of CR's testing, no question this is turning into a PR fiasco for Apple. No matter what the fix turns out to be, Apple needs to get on the ball, and they need to do it now, not next month, not next week -- right now. They are already way behind the curve.
  • Reply 60 of 192
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdanboy View Post

I don't know of anyone who so far has been complaining about loss of signal because they don't clutch the phone with their entire hand. However, you have to wonder why Apple would create the "BUMPER" for the phone. As far as I can remember this is the first time they have created a case or semi-case for the iPhone or iPod Touch. It sorta looks like they thought it could be an issue and this was the quick fix.

Apple released cases before. I received my iPad case long before I got the iPad. They even sold socks for iPods.

I think that the conspiracy theory is unlikely. Far more likely is "look at those people spending $25 - 100 on a cell phone case. We want some of that!"

Quote:

What, do you work for Microsoft or something? What total BS!

I'm guessing he works for Google.