Apple to hold iPhone 4 press conference on Friday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 240
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    A whole event to address the iPhone reception problem. Seems fishy. Something else is up. They could simply do a press release and be done with it. They'll announce something else. This isn't a one pony show.
  • Reply 22 of 240
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    "Hello I'm an iPhone"

"And I'm a Droid"

"Whatcha doing there iPhone?"

(counting money into piles) "PR, PR, PR, PR, PR,fix antenna….."

"Do you really think that amount of money will fix the antenna?"

"You're right, better just put it all in PR"

Letterman's done a top 10 list on the iPhone. What's next, Justin Timberlake making a new video for Saturday Night Live, the double entendre filled "Baby, You're Holding It the Wrong Way"?

My iPhone 4 is awesome, but its tendency to drop calls is frustrating. I shouldn't have to pay $30 of my own money to buy a bumper to fix a hardware defect.
  • Reply 23 of 240
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Is it a coincidence that Daniel Coward want's a recall- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_646368.html

Steve are you listening?

LOL...I don't think anyone will really go that far.
  • Reply 24 of 240
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.

While I agree that the world is full of stupid people, I have to disagree with your notion that Apple doesn't understand how they work. Apple is arguably the best in the industry in terms of their understanding of human factors and the man-machine interface. Similarly, Apple is undoubtedly the pacesetter in terms of marketing, so I think it is an uphill battle to suggest that Steve & Co. don't understand the consumer mindset.
  • Reply 25 of 240
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Of course this can't be related to the iPhone 4G....there is no problem...remember? It has to be about the white iphone and it will have some kind of protective coating around the metal bands.....
  • Reply 26 of 240
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

A whole event to address the iPhone reception problem. Seems fishy. Something else is up. They could simply do a press release and be done with it. They'll announce something else. This isn't a one pony show.

If they don't allow the press to ask questions, the headline the next day will be "Apple Ducks the Press, Announcement Raises New Questions". Apple might be planning to stand there and answer every question from every dumbass journalist and blogger, until the swiftboat is demolished and sinking into the mud at the bottom of the bay.
  • Reply 27 of 240
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This whole debacle shows off Apple's achilles heel. They make superior products because they are a superior company full of superior human beings, but as a result, they just don't get how regular folks think sometimes. Same with the Hockey puck mouse for the original iMac. To a designer, it's beauty, art, etc. but to the average computer user it was a POS that didn't fit in your hand.

An antenna problem doesn't have anything to do with "how regular folks think."

If the antenna issue is a design flaw, it's a mechanical and not an aesthetic design flaw.
  • Reply 28 of 240
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    This is bad.

Very bad.

I almost bet that the answer that Apple is gonna give friday will *not* be a good answer. It won't satisfy the heat.

How do we know this? Easy. It's not Apple sauce. When Apple fucks up they are lousy in the interim until they get the full fix. That one will take time, since the problem here is the "brilliant" design that Ive produced. Oh boy oh boy....
  • Reply 29 of 240
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Great point! Maybe $29.99 gift card toward a case of your choice on apple.com.

a better fix is everyone bring in their iphone 4, and Apple will give you a free strip of scotch tape.
  • Reply 30 of 240
    erybovicerybovic Posts: 37member
    Look where the stock goes to now!
  • Reply 31 of 240
    erybovicerybovic Posts: 37member
    Announcing a Verizon Iphone! Ta dah! Lol
  • Reply 32 of 240
    I hope they do something, I upgraded the beta 4.1 today and wham, not good.

4.1 did nothing to fix the problem in fact I am really sorry to say I think it made it worse on my phone. Before I had to really squeeze hard to get the results everyone else was having so i did not think it was that big of a deal, now after 4.1, I just hold it slightly and the bars drop like a rock!
  • Reply 33 of 240
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erybovic View Post

Look where the stock goes to now!

It could be positive.

They could announce that they have sold 3,000,000 and have received 37 returns.

If they announce they are giving away bumpers or that they have found a firmware

modification that eliminates the problem or some other action that satisfies people,

the uncertainty around the problem will disappear. Then look where the stock goes.
  • Reply 34 of 240
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Well, if the world was full of intelligent reasonable people that like hearing the truth then telling people they are holding it wrong would actually be the *best* way to go, since that's essentially the only problem.

The trouble is that Steve and Co. have no idea how the average dumb-ass consumers reacts to statements like that. So, yeah. It was a bad move I guess.

What a ridiculously sycophantic and look-down-your-nose post.

Normally, you make sense..... (so I'll give you the benefit of doubt).
  • Reply 35 of 240
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    ...when you pry it from my cold dead hands! Seriously, mine works fine. I can't get get the bars or the speedtest scores to drop no matter how much i try to squeeze the life out of it. I'd be very, very surprised if they said all iPhone 4's are affected.
  • Reply 36 of 240
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have solved the issue of antenna shorting with our iPhone 4... today we are announcing... iPhone 5! Now featuring NO antenna, we use the electrical properties of the users own body as the antenna!"

and for it to receive any signal, you have to be a male Homo Sapien of age 10 or more.
  • Reply 37 of 240
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBearDan View Post

I hope they do something, I upgraded the beta 4.1 today and wham, not good.

4.1 did nothing to fix the problem in fact I am really sorry to say I think it made it worse on my phone. Before I had to really squeeze hard to get the results everyone else was having so i did not think it was that big of a deal, now after 4.1, I just hold it slightly and the bars drop like a rock!

Why would you expect the 4.1 beta, a preliminary developer release, to necessarily include fixes for this issue?
  • Reply 38 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Why would you expect the 4.1 beta, a preliminary developer release, to necessarily include fixes for this issue?

Seeing as Apple announced it specifically to address the issue its not a huge leap to assume...
  • Reply 39 of 240
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree there are just some dumb ass people. The iPhone 4 is the best phone out there period. Yes, I own it.

Nobody is complaining that you have to point a remote control at a television and aiming it to far to the right or left lessons the chance of it working properly. Fact is some products require you to hold them a certain way.

There is a similar spot on the left hand bottom side of the Droid Aris. Nobody is complaining about that.

Fact is, most iPhone users aren't complaining about the phone at all because there is nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. Fortune surveyed 25 AT&T stores and found that a total of 11 iPhones had been returned. Obviously the number of people who are unhappy enough to do something other than whine is tiny.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is bad.

Very bad.

I almost bet that the answer that Apple is gonna give friday will *not* be a good answer. It won't satisfy the heat.

Nothing would satisfy the heat. If Apple said that they were releasing iPhone 5 immediately and iPhone 5 was good enough to have a phone conversation with your sister on Mars (at least, that's where I think my sister is from) AND they were going to give everyone a new phone plus a check for $50,000 for the inconvenience, people would still complain.

There are people out there who just like to whine.

Realistically, what I expect is Apple to introduce some hard core lab data done by an independent lab showing the iPhone's reception to be exceptional - with or without a case. They will then report that less than 0.05% of iPhone customers have asked for a refund. Then they will say that they have found that 0.3% of iPhones are actually defective from the factory, about 1/10 the number of defective phones from other manufacturers.

Of course, that still wouldn't shut up the whiners, but maybe it will slow them down a bit.
  • Reply 40 of 240
    It was stated clearly that as a part of 4.1 it was to include the signal fix that apple talked about, 1st I did not expect a real fix but for them to make it worse is a bit bothersome, Apple has always produced such high quality products, so with this round of misteps i'm a little shocked.

No bashing, No trashing, Just the reality, After the update its REALLY BAD, something is wrong there.... you can't argue with facts. Well you could but it does not make sense to me.

Just trying to make a point...