NYT: iPhone 4 antenna problems a result of 'weakness' in software

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Reception problems with the iPhone 4 are a result of "longstanding" problems also found in previous-generation iPhones, but the issue could potentially be fixed by a software fix, The New York Times reported Thursday evening.

Citing a person with "direct knowledge" of the design of the iPhone 4, author Miguel Helft wrote that the problems experienced by users are a result of a "longstanding weakness" found in the "basic communications software" found in all iPhones. The reception problems, that source said, were not a result of a single hardware flaw.

"Instead, the problems emerged in the complex interaction between specialized communications software and the antenna, said the person, who agreed to speak on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter," the report said.

It continued: "The person said the problems were longstanding but had been exposed by the design of the iPhone 4. All cellphones can be affected by the way a hand grips the phone, but well-designed communications software compensates for a variety of external factors and prevents calls from dropping, the person said."

The Times also said that the error could "presumably be fixed with a software update," and that it "appears" unrelated to the software issue patched earlier Thursday, through the release of iOS 4.0.1.

Helft was also informed by the anonymous source that Apple would not announce a recall at its press conference scheduled for Friday, at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. That reiterated an earlier report from The Wall Street Journal, which also reported a full-fledged recall is not in the cards.

The source who spoke with the Times also indicated that Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs did not learn of the software problem until after the iPhone 4 shipped. That is in contrast to a report from earlier Thursday by Bloomberg, which alleged that Jobs was personally informed of the issue last year by Ruben Caballero, a senior engineer and antenna expert with Apple. Apple also officially denied that rumor to the Journal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 166
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    We are waiting. I will see as soon as I download the new iOS 4.0.1.

If no change, I will wait to hear what Apple will say on Friday, then decide whether to return this phone or not.

I still have my trust in Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 166
    Sounds very plausible, though I think that the underlying root cause of the issue is attenuation due to detuning of the antennae by physical contact with a conducting surface (e.g. finger, metal, et al). Of course, the underlying software can determine this and adjust power and reception accordingly. Should be interesting to see what they say tomorrow.
  • Reply 3 of 166
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    If Apple believes that it can be fixed via a software update then fix it. Stop leaking BS to the WSJ and the NYT.
  • Reply 4 of 166
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

If Apple believes that it can be fixed via a software update then fix it. Stop leaking BS to the WSJ and the NYT.

Oh hush... You keep reading said "BS".
  • Reply 5 of 166
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

We are waiting. I will see as soon as I download the new iOS 4.0.1.

If no change, I will wait to hear what Apple will say on Friday, then decide whether to return this phone or not.

I still have my trust in Apple.

Read the article. iOS 4.0.1 is a separate update.
  • Reply 6 of 166
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    hey

Does anybody really care what the NYT thinks or

a some Democratic Senator?

No really guys and gals, I'd like to know if Americans give a rat's ass (have the same distrust as Aussies)

about The Media and Politicians?
  • Reply 7 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Let's assume the above is true - Give them time to come up with a software fix - Perhaps they should extend the warranty as well.

I often wonder if part of the problem is the speed at which the phone switches from 3g to edge is too slow - this would result in dropped calls and lost data
  • Reply 8 of 166
    So...they are basically saying that for all this time Apple has had substandard software running one of the most complained about problems with the phone. I'm not vindicating AT&T...but it sure must have been nice to stand back and let them take all the blame...

It's funny how this is supposed to give me faith my iPhone is not a dud...but it does the opposite...because for 4 generations of iPhones...they are apparently just now getting around to admitting they have a long-running phone/antennae issue...even if it is software.

I look forward to my iPhone 8 when they finally get around to fixing it.
  • Reply 9 of 166
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    The person was anonymous, so whatever, meaningless story

Sorry
  • Reply 10 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post

Let's assume the above is true - Give them time to come up with a software fix - Perhaps they should extend the warranty as well.

I often wonder if part of the problem is the speed at which the phone switches from 3g to edge is too slow - this would result in dropped calls and lost data

I think that would have to due with the substandard software mentioned. But you are right, it is AWFUL at switching between 3G and EDGE...probably at switching from one tower to another as well. I have never had another phone that would continue looking for 3G when it had been EDGE only for miles...and needed a reboot to connect to the network correctly.
  • Reply 11 of 166
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

hey

Does anybody really care what the NYT thinks or

a some Democratic Senator?

No really guys and gals, I'd like to know if Americans give a rat's ass (have the same distrust as Aussies)

about The Media and Politicians?

And, AI is what? Your friend?
  • Reply 12 of 166
    After thinking about it for another 2 minutes...I am kind of worried even more. I sincerely hope they don't make a ton of concessions to try and patch this up via software, further degrading other performance to get this "fixed" without doing a recall.

I'm still having a hard time understanding how the issue that is most talked about could be software. I think they definitely need to improve the software, but the consensus seems to overwhelmingly be that this is a design issue.

I just hope that behind all the PR spin the people at Apple aren't in actual denial about what is going on here...I guess tomorrow will tell.
  • Reply 13 of 166
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The person was anonymous, so whatever, meaningless story

Sorry

No need to feel sorry.

Just know that, if not for Anonymous, we'd never have things like Watergate.
  • Reply 14 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckdutter View Post

So...they are basically saying that for all this time Apple has had substandard software running one of the most complained about problems with the phone. I'm not vindicating AT&T...but it sure must have been nice to stand back and let them take all the blame...

It's funny how this is supposed to give me faith my iPhone is not a dud...but it does the opposite...because for 4 generations of iPhones...they are apparently just now getting around to admitting they have a long-running phone/antennae issue...even if it is software.

I look forward to my iPhone 8 when they finally get around to fixing it.

Betcha every phone manufacturer finds this - albeit not so publicly. Let's see what happens tomorrow
  • Reply 15 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No need to feel sorry.

Just know that, if not for Anonymous, we'd never have things like Watergate.

The sorry was because my first post got deleted by mod, I guess because I forgot the <sarcasm> tag
  • Reply 16 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckdutter View Post

I think that would have to due with the substandard software mentioned. But you are right, it is AWFUL at switching between 3G and EDGE...probably at switching from one tower to another as well. I have never had another phone that would continue looking for 3G when it had been EDGE only for miles...and needed a reboot to connect to the network correctly.

I am an antenna engineer and the NYT reporter is not. Software will not and I repeat, will not compensate for loss of incoming signal strength. Any basic antenna engineer knows that touching an antenna produces attenuation that reduces the strength of the incoming RF signal. I cannot believe a company like Apple could have been so careless or just dumb to think it could get away with a design like this. The idea to prefer styling over good design practices has been violated again for the sake of money.
  • Reply 17 of 166
    I think the issue is whether software can compensate for the effect making skin contact with the antenna while maintaining 100% or better reception (both data and voice) as well as on par or better battery consumption. If it can compensate but only by halving your data bandwidth or by using more battery power then they aren't fixing the problem - they're just shifting the symptom.

As far as I've read, and in my personal experience, a bumper doesn't degrade the signal. If this is the case, then the antenna being exposed on the outside of the device isn't necessary for functionality. Any tradeoffs made in exchange for having an external antenna are made solely in the name of style. Style is all well and good, until it stops just working.
  • Reply 18 of 166
    This is plausible, but I reserve judgment until after the Apple press conference tomorrow.
  • Reply 19 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maczones View Post

I am an antenna engineer and the NYT reporter is not.

The world is suddenly full of antenna engineers with one post.
  • Reply 20 of 166
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Everybody and their mom could be an anonymous source.

Anonymous also cost Dan Rather his job and reputation.