Apple says just 0.55% of iPhone owners have reported antenna problems

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 107
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post


    2) If the 3GS had about the average number of dropped calls on the AT&T network, then 1 additional dropped call per 100 is almost 100% more dropped calls. AT&T's rate of dropped calls in Dec 2009 was between 1.05 and 1.41 per 100 calls. If the 3GS was with those bounds, then the 4 is not doing well comparatively, if it is 1 additional dropped per 100 calls.






    I don't think that the 3GS has "about the average number of dropped calls".



    Likely, it has a lot LESS dropped calls, so I don't think your numbers hold up.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post


    I am wondering why we did not get this burst when the Bold was released.



    Well, that should be a good title...



    As Steve Jobs pointed out, the black line where the weakness exists unfortunately is a large sign. The weak spots on other phones must be found. And then, there's just because people hate Apple, Inc...



    Some of you may not remember that several years ago, numerous people were complaining about brain cancer caused by mobile phones. There again, people on the hit the mobile phone companies side were incredulous that they couldn't hold a phone with the antenna touching their head boosting the radiation to their heads.



    The iPhone 4 has similar risks. If you hold the phone to your head at an angle where the antenna contacts your head, I suspect an increased cancer risk. The odd cancer exposure would be wearing one on a belt clip while exposing ones spare tire.



    The most funny to test one requires a sufficiently well-endowed lady volunteer. Place iPhone 4 in their favorite hiding spot with at least the bar display still visible. The bars should drop just like a Death Grip, maybe a bit less depending on how firmly the subject body parts compress the phone. This location would also increase radiation exposure in that area and we know about the Breast Cancer Claims industry.



    For non-iPhone 4 phones, just wedge between clothing and body. Saw a well-endowed lady with a tight low-cut blouse wedge her phone between her bosom and the neckline once at AT&T Park.
  • Reply 83 of 107
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post


    Ok, waiting for the meat of this.



    The 0.55% call rate is silly. Most people with the problem are probably aware of the situation and have either remedied on their own, or waiting to see what Apple is going to do about it. No sense calling a help line when the whole world knows about the problem and Apple's official response is still pending. So, mention of the 0.55% call rate is silly.



    Using Apple's numbers over 16000 people have called AppleCare to complain. On the internet that's a really big noise. Apple is a victim of its sales success. There are now so many people with iPhones that even if only 0.05% were complaining we'd all hear it.



    However, I agree that most people don't call AppleCare the moment they see a problem and agree that there could be a half million people who either haven't noticed a problem yet or have low expectations for a cell phone and feel it's no worse than other phones they've owned in the past.
  • Reply 84 of 107
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 583member
    Quite a catchy song.



    Pity it is not on iTunes....
  • Reply 85 of 107
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post


    Using Apple's numbers over 16000 people have called AppleCare to complain. On the internet that's a really big noise. Apple is a victim of its sales success. There are now so many people with iPhones that even if only 0.05% were complaining we'd all hear it.



    However, I agree that most people don't call AppleCare the moment they see a problem and agree that there could be a half million people who either haven't noticed a problem yet or have low expectations for a cell phone and feel it's no worse than other phones they've owned in the past.



    haters are going to hate.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukevaxhacker View Post


    Well, that should be a good title...



    As Steve Jobs pointed out, the black line where the weakness exists unfortunately is a large sign. The weak spots on other phones must be found. And then, there's just because people hate Apple, Inc...




    Are you for real? Do you really think most people are looking to find "weak spots" so their phones don't work?



    Apple's "weak spot" happens to be very sensitive, as it is uncovered, and is where many people put their hands.



    What I don't get is the drooling Apple worship from so many people. I mean, I've used Apple since 87', I love their products and will continue buying from them. Just because you like a company doesn't mean you cant criticize it, and just because you do criticize it from time to time does not mean you have to hate it.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post


    Are you for real? Do you really think most people are looking to find "weak spots" so their phones don't work?



    Apple's "weak spot" happens to be very sensitive, as it is uncovered, and is where many people put their hands.



    What I don't get is the drooling Apple worship from so many people. I mean, I've used Apple since 87', I love their products and will continue buying from them. Just because you like a company doesn't mean you cant criticize it, and just because you do criticize it from time to time does not mean you have to hate it.



    Can?t criticize Apple? I think we can safely say Apple is the most critiqued company in the world, bar none. Let?s see, cellular signal bars mean nothing, but no one got upset until the iPhone. All phones have weak spots but no one ever cared to look or get upset until the iPhone. So, why is Apple the only company that people can criticize? Or better yet, why is Apple is the only company people expect to be perfect?
  • Reply 88 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehrhards View Post


    Perhaps it's because on iP4, there is an actual mark showing exactly where to "just touch" to get the signal to drop. That mark doesn't exist on the other phones, so maybe it's harder to locate the spot to touch for attenuation?



    It's a psychological scab on a beautiful phone - people just can't help but pick it even though they know they shouldn't
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Can?t criticize Apple? I think we can safely say Apple is the most critiqued company in the world, bar none. Let?s see, cellular signal bars mean nothing, but no one got upset until the iPhone. All phones have weak spots but no one ever cared to look or get upset until the iPhone. So, why is Apple the only company that people can criticize? Or better yet, why is Apple is the only company people expect to be perfect?



    You're right, I don't get why everyone holds Apple to a higher standard than their competitors. Crazy really. Thing is Apple danced on the edge this time and lost/almost lost. Apple play a dangerous game of balancing form and function. This time in the eyes of some people they lost. But Apple usually set things right. They've done all they can for now. Were relatively open about it all. I don't think we can ask for anything more right now.



    You can bet they're working on a way of "fixing" the aerial, or coating it. Let's see what Sept brings.
  • Reply 90 of 107
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Hey, where is the big line of people who ACTUALLY OWN AN IPHONE 4 trying to return them? Hmmm seems that vast majority who have one and know about the "problem" still plan to keep it.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    mymoonmymoon Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post


    YOU KNOW HOLDING IT INCORRECTLY WILL DROP CALLS, YOU'RE STILL DROPPING CALLS BECAUSE YOU INSIST ON HOLDING IT THAT WAY INSTEAD OF HOLDING IT IN WAY SO IT DOESN'T DROP YOUR CALLS, AND THEN YOU CAN GO TO DIFFERENT ONLINE FORUMS TO BITCH ABOUT IT.



    You're genius and I admire you.



    Oh, hi Steve!

  • Reply 92 of 107
    mymoonmymoon Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic8Ball View Post


    It's a psychological scab on a beautiful phone - people just can't help but pick it even though they know they shouldn't



    Well put!
  • Reply 93 of 107
    I think the problem was so well known, people were just waiting to see what Apple did. Hence the reason people havent called and complained. Apple always comes through with a quick solution to their probs. I remember when the original iPhone came out and then dropped in price after 2 months, people threw a fit, and apple gave out a credit. When they tested the new phone all were concealed in a case that looked like the 3GS. The two fingers never touched the back bars. Anyway, I'm happy with mine, I have a case and I got it cuz of the glass, not the reception.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    You should all watch this video about the iPhone. its short, on point and puts a lot of things in perspective: http://vimeo.com/13406519



    Aren't there more important things going on in this world than the iPhone debacle..?.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    There are two antennas on that phone. There are two splits. One on the left side near the bottom, one on the top at the right corner next to the jack. The perimeter of the phone is 13.61". They could have located those two splits anywhere, with only the distance between them being constant.





    They chose to locate one where its virtually guaranteed any user in normal use will bridge the split.



    Thats a blunder.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    1.77% return rate



    0.5%5 Apple Care stats





    It proves what 99% of iPhone owners are saying all along. there is a real problem but it's A NON-ISSUE.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Can?t criticize Apple? I think we can safely say Apple is the most critiqued company in the world, bar none. Let?s see, cellular signal bars mean nothing, but no one got upset until the iPhone. All phones have weak spots but no one ever cared to look or get upset until the iPhone. So, why is Apple the only company that people can criticize? Or better yet, why is Apple is the only company people expect to be perfect?



    You know what I mean. If you don't drool Apple, many folks here attack you and jump all over you. I think any company can be criticized, and should be when they goof.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Why does everyone pretend 0.55% of calls to Apple Care about issues is a small number?



    First: If 1 in 200 phones has a defective antenna, that is well below Apple's normal standards.



    Second: Most people with problems probably Google about it or ignore it and move on, not call support.



    Third: It doesn't sound like such a small number when you say "16,500 people called Apple's support about antenna problems within the first three weeks the phone was on the market." That comes to almost 800 calls every day just about that one thing.
  • Reply 99 of 107
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post


    Why does everyone pretend 0.55% of calls to Apple Care about issues is a small number?



    First: If 1 in 200 phones has a defective antenna, that is well below Apple's normal standards.



    Second: Most people with problems probably Google about it or ignore it and move on, not call support.



    Third: It doesn't sound like such a small number when you say "16,500 people called Apple's support about antenna problems within the first three weeks the phone was on the market." That comes to almost 800 calls every day just about that one thing.



    First, the rate is low. You can bet a much larger percentage of buyers call support to complain about any other given problem.



    Second, googling doesn't solve the problem if you have it, and ignoring it doesn't make it go away.



    Third, it is in fact a small number considering the three million already sold.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Umm...



    On one hand, the negligible number of complains from AppleCare purchasers proves the fact, which was clear from the beginning to anyone who heard words The Physics at least once. This is a minor glitch from the usability standpoint, yet extremely puzzling problem from the technical one.



    On the other hand, the number of complaints is not representative at all. You have to have AppleCare on your iPhone and be helplessly confined in your mom's basement to not understand what happens to your iPhone and to not be able help it, while all media and US Senate are dealing with the issue.
Sign In or Register to comment.