Apple says it takes 3 years to get a new cell tower in San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 81 of 138
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Apple 'says' all manner of things... One learns to discern what's most likely rubbish - Like This!

My guess is that there was at least one cell in San Fran that took over thirty months to approve, so Steve is telling the truth.
  • Reply 82 of 138
    So AT&T has only been in business for three years? They weren't around in 2000? Why didn't they start applying then? Do other cell providers have coverage in San Fran? If so how did they get towers?

Your weak AT&T, just like your network. Fix your s**t. NOW!
  • Reply 83 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phoebetech View Post

I wonder why there are no reports for dropped calls on the Blackberry for AT&T.

The press loves RIM and hates Apple.
  • Reply 84 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desides View Post

I'd imagine that the San Francisco city government is concerned about the physiological effect of the additional cell towers, which would require lengthy studies to resolve. Jobs' comparison between Texas and San Francisco is well founded in reality.

I imagine that your post is well founded in reality.
  • Reply 85 of 138
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

I don't know about that. I hadn't seen a lot of articles promoting RIM products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So AT&T has only been in business for three years? They weren't around in 2000? Why didn't they start applying then? Do other cell providers have coverage in San Fran? If so how did they get towers?

2000? I think AT&T was a different company then, wasn't it Cingular there at that time, before they were bought by AT&T?
  • Reply 86 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

So electromagnetic radiation is an issue.

What is the issue with electromagnetic radiation? Are there signal interference problems?
  • Reply 87 of 138
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I see these by the freeway all the time. Who are they trying to fool really.... Does it make people happier if they see an antenna pretending to be a tree versus just an antenna.

I think the idea is to draw a little less attention to the stark look that would be an antenna alone. Maybe they could design some huge bumpers for these antennae.

It would be interesting reading if someone knows of studies that compare the licensing and safety/health issues in other countries around the world on this.
  • Reply 88 of 138
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

2000? I think AT&T was a different company then, wasn't it Cingular there at that time, and they were bought by AT&T?

Cingular was purchased by SBC, which also purchased the name ATT when ATT was dissolved. It then renamed itself ATT, even though it's really SBC (or was). ATT was broken into the baby bells back in the '80s, then was eventually eaten by one of its own offspring so to speak. Somewhere in this whole thing GTE was absorbed as well (I think by Cingular first in the '90s).
  • Reply 89 of 138
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

If what you and your ilk spew about at&t were even 10% true why hasn't Verizon (goddess of networks) taken over the entire country by now and put lowlife at&t out of business. The following answers are just FUD smokescreens...

1. Stupid people stay with at&t.

2. Nobody leaves because of their contract.

3. They like their iPhone.

People have had plenty of time to leave at&t for the land of milk and honey. People would move if they were as disatisfied as your crowd says they are.

Nope. It's just more bullshit from bullshit artists who think they are tuff stuff by spewing their bullshit. Your bullshit is no different than the bullshit vomited by the Android crowd.
  • Reply 90 of 138
    st3v3st3v3 Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

That's false. When RIM messed up with that hunk of junk blackberry storm, they got demolished too. I feel Apple gets a huge lashing for messing up often simply because of the fanboys. Apple fanboys love to rub how perfect Apple products are in people's faces, and thus people jump on apple issues.

That being said, Apple also has been trying to paint this issue as different than it actually is. The attenuation with all phones is true, but I don't think they accidentally omitted the fact that the iphone 4 sees a bigger decrease in signal than even the iphone 3gs.
  • Reply 91 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Nope. It's just more bullshit from bullshit artists who think they are tuff stuff by spewing their bullshit. Your bullshit is no different than the bullshit vomited by the Android crowd.

Quit your cussing little boy before I put you over my knee.
  • Reply 92 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

If what you and your ilk spew about at&t were even 10% true why hasn't Verizon (goddess of networks) taken over the entire country by now and put lowlife at&t out of business. The following answers are just FUD smokescreens...

1. Stupid people stay with at&t.

2. Nobody leaves because of their contract.

3. They like their iPhone.

People have had plenty of time to leave at&t for the land of milk and honey. People would move if they were as disatisfied as your crowd says they are.

Actually a report (NYTimes I think) shows Verizon catching up with ATT in terms of # even without the iPhone. This is why Verizon don't really want the iPhone, they're in bed with Google/Android
  • Reply 93 of 138
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Someone should sue San Francisco claiming that it is a public safety issue.
  • Reply 94 of 138
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

3 years? Nothing takes 3 years.

I will make this clear. San Francisco is a class act city. Yes, it has some pessimistic [to put it mildly] council members who want every aspect of their long-term plans for preserving a level of social diversity addressed. No, they don't want a bunch of cheap towers. Yes, they want the most blended in towers designers can make to keep the aesthetics of the landscape the same.

No go visit Orlando. What a dump. I lived there as well. It's a dump. Go to Seattle. It's a mix of a beautiful city with dumpy areas. Certain areas are very difficult to get more towers installed. Others are glad to put up any old cheap tower for a quick fix.

Now go to Eastern WA and you'll discover with all the rollling hills and valleys it presents unique landscape challenges for any design of towers. Even in Spokane, where I grew up, you have a lengthy process for such expansion.

We've debated a downtown zone with a developer for more than 25 years. He wants Manhattan pricing for a prime piece of Real-Estate and due to the GOP leaning Supreme Court he's going to get Eminent-Domain pricing. Personally, he doesn't deserve that for a nearly 30 years delay of a critical part of downtown he dictated.

Thanks to Washington State University and the University of Washington bringing a full Medical University on WSU Spokane, people are finally realizing what a prick he has been. He was one architect.

People haven't a clue how land developers with questionable taste can shape the direction of any city. San Francisco is not the exception. It just happens to be a very visible norm.
  • Reply 95 of 138
    You should all watch this video about the iPhone. its short, on point and puts a lot of things in perspective: http://vimeo.com/13406519
  • Reply 96 of 138
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I will make this clear. San Francisco is a class act city.

San Francisco WAS a class act city.

Quote:

No go visit Orlando. What a dump.

Now go ride a MUNI, you can watch a homeless (literally) take a dump.
  • Reply 97 of 138
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

The noisiest ATT customers are in SFO and NYC. In SFO get off your asses and tell your govt you don't want a landline. Stop bitching about ATT if you're too lazy to vote or write your rep.

In NYC ha! Manhattan is slot canyons. Too bad. Get three phones for insurance if you can afford Manhattan.

ATT handles more traffic than all the other carriers combined. That's frikkin heroic. Don't like it stop being a whiny brat and switch.

Bam! Said the guy with the Mac Pro.

I bet you were running all sorts of crazy stuff and still had plenty leftover CPU to fire up the troll hammer! Sweet.
  • Reply 98 of 138
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Cingular was purchased by SBC, which also purchased the name ATT when ATT was dissolved. It then renamed itself ATT, even though it's really SBC (or was). ATT was broken into the baby bells back in the '80s, then was eventually eaten by one of its own offspring so to speak. Somewhere in this whole thing GTE was absorbed as well (I think by Cingular first in the '90s).

You're right, the AT&T "family history" is a twisty one.
  • Reply 99 of 138
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:

I will make this clear. San Francisco is a class act city. Yes, it has some pessimistic [to put it mildly] council members who want every aspect of their long-term plans for preserving a level of social diversity addressed. No, they don't want a bunch of cheap towers. Yes, they want the most blended in towers designers can make to keep the aesthetics of the landscape the same.

People haven't a clue how land developers with questionable taste can shape the direction of any city. San Francisco is not the exception. It just happens to be a very visible norm.

SF looks pretty nice... from the Berkeley Hills above Oakland... all the way across the bay.

But inside the city... It's the decaying 100 year old infrastructure of a city that long outgrew it peninsula... the ultimate example of runaway urban sprawl in California. Those horribly-ugly bunches of power lines over every street are the biggest urban eye sore in the country, and a fitting reminder that your local goverent is more concerned with telling people and businesses what they can't do, than focusing on tangible public works. This is also why SF is almost am hour away from where the real technological heart of the Bay Area - Silicon Valley. San Jose has it's problems, but in comparison - SF is the retarded, redheaded step-brother... One who desperately needs a diaper change... BTW what is up with that piss smell that permeates seemingly every section of the city?

I'd stop longer to investigate, but your wonderful city gov can't manage to figure out how to zone for parking... not surprising you clowns aren't too good with roads, cables, cell towers or any kind of data flow thru. Enjoy your dirty hippy coffee bars, maybe some more revenue from a few drive-thrus might fix some idiocy. Better yet, bulldoze some of those rat traps along 19th avenue for a real freeway.
  • Reply 100 of 138
    buzzmegabuzzmega Posts: 66member
    So, you're saying you can get a cell tower cleared for installation in significantly less time?

I think a lot of people would like to take you up on that.