Tense Apple-AT&T iPhone partnership nearly ended multiple times

Comments

• Reply 21 of 153
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Only 2 years left for the exclusivity contract to expire. We will see then if these reports are true.
  • Reply 22 of 153
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Anything we can do to speed up the process?
  • Reply 23 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At one point, an AT&T representative reportedly told one of Jobs' deputies that the company co-founder should wear a suit to meet with the AT&T Board of Directors. That AT&T employee was allegedly told, "We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."

I agree with AT&T on this one. Jobs looks stupid in that same outfit day after day and the other guys just look really uncomfortable dressed like that. It doesn't fit their personalities. Appropriate attire is showing respect for your partners and vendors. Jobs would probably show up to a funeral dressed like that. He doesn't appear to give a rat's ass about anyone but himself. Oh I forgot, he 'loves' his users.
  • Reply 24 of 153
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

Apple really holds the majority of the cards here. Other carriers will likely drop their pants and bend over backwards should Apple shop around for a new carrier.

I bet Verizon won't!
  • Reply 25 of 153
    I don't think any corporate culture would mesh well with Apple, especially these old school telephone companies.

Google would!
  • Reply 26 of 153
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGod 2.0 View Post

I believed this article up until the mentioning the "source" could not be identified. Why is it that every story that these technology news mediums and blogs find can't disclose the person who is giving the information? #imjustsaying. I'm still standing were I always stand with these posts: I'll believe it when I see it...

Confidential sources are as old as journalism.
  • Reply 27 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

yes, they only wear denim and black turtleneck, and now they don't even own electric shavers. I hope they take showers for boardrooms' sake

They are Apple, they don't own soap! (to scared to drop it)
  • Reply 28 of 153
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Funny, Jobs use to wear suits all the time in the 80's. Bow tie!
  • Reply 29 of 153
    I wonder what would happen to this awesome Verizon network if 5,000,000 ATT customers showed up one day wanting to take it to the limit.
  • Reply 30 of 153
    Apple should start its own telecom company. Can you imagine calling to complain about your wireless service from Apple telecom and actually getting somewhere? Apple sets the gold standard for customer support - something these telecom giants (read A&TT and Verizon) can learn from. I have wasted countless hours getting nowhere with both of these giant slugs.
  • Reply 31 of 153
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."

They do rent on occasions though:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Apple engineers allegedly visited the headquarters of Qualcomm to consider the prospect of creating a CDMA iPhone for the rival network. EVentually, the company concluded it would have to rebuild the phone from scratch to fit the new chips inside, making the prospect too costly and complicated.

That might be resolved with Verizon switching to GSM:

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/pre.../2010/5105.htm

GSM is a far more prevalent network format so it makes more sense for Verizon to go GSM so that the same iPhone can work on both networks.
  • Reply 32 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

To me, this confirms the rumors that Apple has had a Verizon compatible phone waiting in the wings for some time now. They couldn't play chicken with AT&T without having that option ready.

edit:

And on second thought, maybe it confirms exactly the opposite. That Apple has put up with AT&T only because they don't have a Verizon solution.

Of course it says the opposite of your initial post. It says that they CAN NOT make a Verizon phone with existing chips unless they redesign the iPHone (bloody well unlikely).

If Infineon comes through with a chip that handles both networks, it would be possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I agree with AT&T on this one. Jobs looks stupid in that same outfit day after day and the other guys just look really uncomfortable dressed like that. It doesn't fit their personalities. Appropriate attire is showing respect for your partners and vendors. Jobs would probably show up to a funeral dressed like that. He doesn't appear to give a rat's ass about anyone but himself. Oh I forgot, he 'loves' his users.

Funny how the people who criticize Apple for 'form over function' jump on Jobs for what he wears.

His function as a CEO has been exceptional. I can't imagine that any shareholders care what he wears - as long as he keeps doing a great job.
  • Reply 33 of 153
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    You guys in the US really are in a mess with this while AT&T aren't you. Here in the UK the iPhone is on 5 carriers now, with the previous exclusive carrier (O2) having lost their exclusivity some time ago now. I gather many other countries also have a choice of carriers with the iPhone, so what's gone wrong in the US? Why are you stuck with only one choice? Is this an uncommon situation or are most phones locked down like this in the US?
  • Reply 34 of 153
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

I wonder what would happen to this awesome Verizon network if 5,000,000 ATT customers showed up one day wanting to take it to the limit.

verizon pre cripples its own networks making sure every one get a tad above shit service

but no one gets dropped calls

to use an iphone on version and stream hulu

get a mifi card or the dongle thing they sell

yet verizon can handle it

verizon can run much of it thru its fios network

fiber

fiber

optic

verizon has really built out nyc

towers and repeaters abound every where except the bayonne nj dead zone
  • Reply 35 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They do rent on occasions though:

That might be resolved with Verizon switching to GSM:

http://www.gsmworld.com/newsroom/pre.../2010/5105.htm

GSM is a far more prevalent network format so it makes more sense for Verizon to go GSM so that the same iPhone can work on both networks.

best post this month

ta da !!!
  • Reply 36 of 153
    dunno why

but i feel good after reading this

• Reply 37 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You guys in the US really are in a mess with this while AT&T aren't you. Here in the UK the iPhone is on 5 carriers now, with the previous exclusive carrier (O2) having lost their exclusivity some time ago now. I gather many other countries also have a choice of carriers with the iPhone, so what's gone wrong in the US? Why are you stuck with only one choice? Is this an uncommon situation or are most phones locked down like this in the US?

It's because they have 2 (?) carriers who use GSM, AT&T and T-Mobile. The others use CDMA. The iPhone works on GSM as that's the technology most carriers in the world use.

There is no CDMA iPhone, so in the US there's only AT&T as T-Mobile uses a different frequency that the iPhone doesn't understand. On a T-Mobile iPhone you only have 2G (in the US at least).

Got to love T-Mobile in the Netherlands, unlimited 3G all the way 8)
  • Reply 38 of 153
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Part of the power of the statement "we're Apple. We don't wear suits..." is that any employee could probably make that statement to an AT&T executive and be confident that Steve Jobs himself would back them up. Not enough companies in this country have that sense of identity and courage.
  • Reply 39 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

best post this month

ta da !!!

This is not a suit, it's a tuxedo.
  • Reply 40 of 153
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    It's so sad that tech news has modeled itself after political news on Fox and MSNBC. Religion politics tech.