Tense Apple-AT&T iPhone partnership nearly ended multiple times

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Anonymous source, huh! A true story or total crap with no merit only designed to sensationalize and inrease hits to a website? I dunno.

If true, and I got that "we don't own suits" crack, I would have said 'Tell Jobs to wear that black tux he wears with no problem when he pals around at award shows with his elitist Hollywood gang then, okay!
  • Reply 82 of 153
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    T-Mobile is a given. I suspect before or when Apple goes to Verizon. T-Mobile will add to Apple's bottom line, and T-Mobile is huge overseas (much bigger then Verizon) so Apple will want to make T-Mobile happy here to preserve it's relationships overseas. Further, T-Mobile is more likely to cater to Apple more.

I for one was a Verizon customer and AT&T customer. I now am a T-Mobile customer using an iPhone. Verizon has to be the worst company on the planet. I honestly don't understand why it has so many customers. I would go without a cell phone before I went to Verizon. AT&T probably is in strong running for second worst. As huge an Apple fan I am, I have stood strong and not signed up with AT&T again.

T-Mobile in terms of customer service has been great to me as has the coverage in the populated parts of Michigan. I'd upgrade to the iPhone 4 today if Apple announced it was going to T-Mobile. People forget before the iPhone was on AT&T, AT&T was way behind Verizon in terms of users. The iPhone greatly increased AT&T's user base. If Apple gave T-Mobile a limited window before opening up to Verizon, I suspect APple would do the same for it.

My unlocked iPhone often gets better reception then my friends on AT&T. Further, I don't have to sign up for a data plan, which I don't need since I am usually by a wi-fi network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quash View Post

Man, where the frak is T-Mobile in these discussions, this is complete bullshit

• Reply 83 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdxapple View Post

This is not a suit, it's a tuxedo.

How about this?

• Reply 84 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Apple should start its own telecom company. Can you imagine calling to complain about your wireless service from Apple telecom and actually getting somewhere? Apple sets the gold standard for customer support - something these telecom giants (read A&TT and Verizon) can learn from. I have wasted countless hours getting nowhere with both of these giant slugs.

You should check out the archive of stories and their associated posts these past few weeks about the antenna and death grip and dropped signal voice and data from some and you might modify slightly your viewpoint.

I liked the post where someone said Apple.com deleted a thread on their website message board regarding negative comments about the iPhone 4. Does that mean as a telecom, Apple would "drop" any negative calls they receive?
  • Reply 85 of 153
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

verizon pre cripples its own networks making sure every one get a tad above shit service

but no one gets dropped calls

to use an iphone on version and stream hulu

get a mifi card or the dongle thing they sell

yet verizon can handle it

verizon can run much of it thru its fios network

fiber

fiber

optic

verizon has really built out nyc

towers and repeaters abound every where except the bayonne nj dead zone

You lost me when you got the the fiber; fiber; optic; verizon can run much of it thru it's fios network, stuffs. Immediately beneath every cell tower is a cable. Backbone capacity isn't the issue with AT&T - it's quite beefy.

-Chris
  • Reply 86 of 153
    glui2001glui2001 Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSF View Post

I bet Verizon won't!

I bet they will! Verizon's probably kicking themselves for all the lost billions they could've made if they jumped on board the first time Apple courted them.
  • Reply 87 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

How about this?

My God, did he shave????
  • Reply 88 of 153
    Many doctors advocate not wearing ties. They spread illness.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kherberos View Post

I love the suit comment. Apple is so right. Die corporate thinking, die !!!

Business suits are so 20th century. Actually some guy came up with the idea in the 19th century !!! At the industrial revolution, because people, not always very aware of the hygiene concept, were coming from their farms to work in the cities. So one bright manager had the idea to impose a standardize dressing, let s call it business suit ... more like a carnival costume.

And the habit staid for the decades to come ... just imagine how ridiculous we would look like to

some one coming from another planet ...

"What's this piece of fabric hanging from your neck for ?"

"It s a what ? A tie ?"

"I bet it there to tie you in to standard corporate thinking"

I have to say, whenever I go in a bank or insurance, or whatever, if the guy talking to me is dressed like that, the suit, the tie, the shiny shoes and everything, my instinct is telling me to be very suspicious. This guy is not doing it out of respect for me, but only to give himself an edge over me, to look superior, I find it actually extremely arrogant.

Just be patient, when Generation X, Y and Z will reach control of the world, for better of for worth,

those sort of silly habits will be shaken hard.

• Reply 89 of 153
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

Funny, Jobs use to wear suits all the time in the 80's. Bow tie!

Yes, back when Jobs thought Apple had to grow up and be more like a "real company", in need of adult supervision under a "real CEO". This led to his hiring John "sugar water" Sculley.

He learned the error of his ways. Lose the tie.
  • Reply 90 of 153
    Where did real journalism go?....where they investigate and interview the people that were actually involved?

I feel like I am being scammed once again......all to increase the 'click' counts on these webs sites.

By the way, if this was true, a few billion dollars of profits between friends makes it easy to forget your past differences.
  • Reply 91 of 153
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Many doctors advocate not wearing ties. They spread illness.

"Put down that tie, you don't know where it's been."

The causal dress mantra has been around since the early days at Apple. Probably it started as a way of showing how "different" they were from other companies. Part of the culture.
  • Reply 92 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Neither Apple nor AT&T wants what's best for you. Seriously.

The difference between them is that Apple understands that their long term success depends on creating great products and keeping the customers happy.

That is, Apple's success is directly tied to doing what's best for me.
  • Reply 93 of 153
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

All partnerships have issues. Each wants what is best for their customers.....sometimes they are in conflict.

Welcome to Business 101.

Maybe for their own self interests, but rarely for their customers.
  • Reply 94 of 153
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Verizon lost a bunch of money in Q4, but that was a one-time thing related to trimming some fat. Otherwise they are quite profitable.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/v...increasing-re/

What is more interesting is the link you provided.

http://gigaom.com/2010/03/04/u-s-mob...e-still-rocks/

It is true that AT&T is growing at a slightly faster rate than Verizon, and if things continue like this, AT&T will eventually catch Verizon. But Verizon's churn rate is slightly below AT&T's, while the rate for Spring and T-Mobile is double that of Verizon or AT&T. Are customers switching from Verizon to AT&T, or is AT&T soaking up customers from the 2 smaller carriers? It looks like the latter to me, but I haven't seen enough information to decide for sure.

From my limited experience, the Verizon customers I know are pretty loyal to that company.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Verizon purchased Alltel after the first iPhone came out and that alone boosted their subscription base 20%. For several quaters now data has shown AT&T growth higher than that of Verizon. Verizon actually lost money in Q4 last year. Here's Q4 last year, Q1 this year also shows greater subscriber growth at T.

http://gigaom.com/2010/03/04/u-s-mob...e-still-rocks/

• Reply 95 of 153
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Maybe for their own self interests, but rarely for their customers.

Self interest gets you nothing if your customers are not well served.
  • Reply 96 of 153
    It isn't clear that AT&T's exclusivity with the iPhone has been great for the company (AT&T). In the short term, they have made a lot of money. In the long term, their reputation as a competent company has been severely damaged. Here is a paragraph from the current Wired article on AT&T/Apple making the rounds:

"Much of AT&T’s growth can be attributed to its exclusive arrangement with Apple — if customers want an iPhone, they have no choice but to sign up with AT&T. But someday, when that agreement ends, iPhone customers will have the opportunity to jump to a rival network. If a significant number defect, it will be hard for AT&T to argue that its iPhone experiment was worth it."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

I bet they will! Verizon's probably kicking themselves for all the lost billions they could've made if they jumped on board the first time Apple courted them.

• Reply 97 of 153
    The guy you are celebrating here is not part of Generation X, Y, or Z. I am part of generation X, and I am not looking forward to us taking over the world. Some great, great things were done by the older generations that you disparage.

Quote:

I love the suit comment. Apple is so right. Die corporate thinking, die !!!

Business suits are so 20th century. Actually some guy came up with the idea in the 19th century !!! At the industrial revolution, because people, not always very aware of the hygiene concept, were coming from their farms to work in the cities. So one bright manager had the idea to impose a standardize dressing, let s call it business suit ... more like a carnival costume.

And the habit staid for the decades to come ... just imagine how ridiculous we would look like to

some one coming from another planet ...

"What's this piece of fabric hanging from your neck for ?"

"It s a what ? A tie ?"

"I bet it there to tie you in to standard corporate thinking"

I have to say, whenever I go in a bank or insurance, or whatever, if the guy talking to me is dressed like that, the suit, the tie, the shiny shoes and everything, my instinct is telling me to be very suspicious. This guy is not doing it out of respect for me, but only to give himself an edge over me, to look superior, I find it actually extremely arrogant.

Just be patient, when Generation X, Y and Z will reach control of the world, for better of for worth,

those sort of silly habits will be shaken hard.

• Reply 98 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Just be patient, when Generation X, Y and Z will reach control of the world, for better of for worth, those sort of silly habits will be shaken hard.

I started wearing a suit and tie to business meetings when I discovered that they would pay me an extra 100K a year to do it. I don't care what generation you are, if you want to be successful in business, you have to play the game. Go get yourself a cool neck tattoo and a pierced lip ring. You should be able to easily pull down six figures.
  • Reply 99 of 153
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pdxapple View Post

This is not a suit, it's a tuxedo.

Apple disagrees with you:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone

Jobs looks stupid in that same outfit day after day and the other guys just look really uncomfortable dressed like that. It doesn't fit their personalities.

I actually think he looks worse in suits, which is probably why he doesn't wear them.

I personally don't like people in suits or wearing suits. To me it suggests someone is being disingenuous. Someone in casual clothes however, they aren't making an attempt to gain my confidence by manipulating my perception of them, they prove themselves by their actions.

Corporate suits will congratulate each other, mimic each other and then stab each other in the back at any given opportunity. Give me a guy in jeans and a turtleneck any day. The respect aspect is dogmatic. You can't show much more respect than simply being polite. Lawyers wear suits and artists wear jeans - if I want to be around people who are passionate and genuine about what they do, I hang around with people in jeans.

People in suits are there because they have to be there, people in jeans are there because they want to be there. I can't think of any situation where I should be wearing a suit that I wouldn't rather be somewhere else.

There are exceptions of course as there are with everything but suits generally don't get my vote.
  • Reply 100 of 153
    rkrickrkrick Posts: 66member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

You should check out the archive of stories and their associated posts these past few weeks about the antenna and death grip and dropped signal voice and data from some and you might modify slightly your viewpoint.

I liked the post where someone said Apple.com deleted a thread on their website message board regarding negative comments about the iPhone 4. Does that mean as a telecom, Apple would "drop" any negative calls they receive?

The site you are referring to is for support questions and answers not a general forum to post opinions, they have every right to delete such posts.