Rumors of Apple charging iPad owners for iOS 4 upgrade are false

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    rdjlexkyrdjlexky Posts: 48member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Early adopters has zero to do with it. It's the issue that they dropped the accounting rules that were tied to paid updates for the ipod touch AND said that at least the first major update would be free for the ipad. To go back on that would be a major PR gaff and they simply don't need that right now when there's still a very vocal group calling for a full iphone 4 recall of ALL units (not just US sold ones) in light of the 'design flaw' etc/

That's essentially what I said. Of course they're going to make the first major update free...otherwise you're basically punishing people for being early adopters.

Quote:

Personally I think that Stuff.tv is just jumping on the "If we mention Apple people will come to our site and other sites will talk about us and drive people to our site and we can make money off the hits" game and the whole 'story' and 'source' are totally bogus.

This I agree with.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post

Are you a iPhone/iPad developer?

Do you work for Apple in any capacity?

Just what credentials do you have that would give you the prerogative to declare so definitely that there isn't a good reason to explain why iOS 4 not available for the iPad until now?

Wait, what? I'm just saying that I don't understand why there is such a long delay. They certainly haven't given one. And the difference in the back end hardware appears to be very minor. It's mostly the front end, a larger screen.

Please do tell why the iOS4 update for iPad justifies an extra 6 months. Does it take that long to make adjustments to fit the larger screen?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wait, what? I'm just saying that I don't understand why there is such a long delay. They certainly haven't given one. And the difference in the back end hardware appears to be very minor. It's mostly the front end, a larger screen.

Please do tell why the iOS4 update for iPad justifies an extra 6 months. Does it take that long to make adjustments to fit the larger screen?

Have you ever worked on major project development? I've worked with Apple on a number of OS projects.

Basically, you draw a line in the sand and say "no new features at this point" and then focus on finishing the product, working out bugs, etc. You may continue to work on the next version, but you don't let the next version interfere with the current version.

The iPad timing was unfortunate. They were already well on the way to iPhone OS 4.0 for the phone, but it wasn't far enough along to use it for the iPad (at least, not without delaying the iPad by several months, at least). So they drew a line in the sand (probably around last November, I would estimate) and chose 3.x for the iPad. The next months were spent debugging 3.x and getting it right. At some point, they could start 4.0 for the iPad (certainly before April), but it takes time to complete the project, especially with QC and testing. Given that most of the iPad people were working on getting the product out the door and fixing any early bugs, there probably just wasn't that much time to spend on 4.0 before April or May.

So, 6 months to complete the revisions, test it, get it out to developers for testing, fix any bugs the developers find, and release isn't all that long. Software development on something this complex sounds trivial, but it's not. Even minor changes take a good bit of time when you have to get developer testing feedback.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Product announcements and various fees etc are not always what "Apple" wants - there is always a compromise between many competing factors in any business decision.

I do wonder though about the so called "accounting issue" related to the iPod Touch upgrade - it was obviously not an insurmountable issue - though I wonder if the entire issues was the accounting department pointing out some balance sheet that didn't have numbers they wanted to see and charging for an upgrade was the easiest way to change the balance in the affected accounts.

Apple had previously charged a nominal fee for certain updates because of an accounting rule that required companies to report revenue over time if the company continued to confer new features after the original sale.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Why is this even a story?

Apple made it perfectly clear that 4 would be free for iPad owners BEFORE the unit even shipped. Did anyone really think that they would back out of that after spelling it out in the release documentation?

Come on, you don't have to print every silly rumor that comes along.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I doubt that they will charge iPad owners for the upgrade.

There's no doubt they will not charge you.

From -> iPad Software License

"Apple will provide you any iPad OS software updates that it may release from time to time, up to and including the next major iPad OS software release following the version of iPad OS software that originally shipped from Apple on your iPad, for free. For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models."
  • Reply 27 of 40
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    If I pay can I get it before friggin' November?

And like one of the commenters above, I don't understand the long delay time either. (And yes, I am a developer.)

Why is iOS 4 taking so long to release? This is especially curious since it's already available on the Touch.

The download comment does make sense either..if the severs can handle eight million iPhones they can handle a few million ipads..
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Amazing that one could not see that besides Apple that has to get it ready and right, it is equally important that developers are involved as well.

Just the fact that there were fifteen hundred new APIs added to the new OS is a reasonable answer to justify the additional time. I would think that it would be prudent of Apple to allow the primary (tens of thousands of) users, not just the handful of selected developers who had the privilege to get early access to the new SDK, an equal opportunity and sufficient lead time to discover, try, vet, debug, comment, etc., on all the new features

I can accept, though reluctantly, for an first timer to suggest that the "…the difference in the back end hardware appears to be very minor. It's mostly the front end, a larger screen."

But not from anybody else.

In addition, having followed AI from the beginning and hearing all the crap how bad the iPhone apps are, to imply that the solution by making a font/graphic enhancement to improve the visual effects, would console the ignorant critics wallowing here is equally ludicrous.

I don't think that there is a developer amongst us who doesn't want to create a Pages or Numbers like Apple has done for the iPad. Most of us realize that we don't have all the resources to do so. But dammit, we can dream. In the meantime, the majority of us are in the same race and am pleased that Apple sets the same rules for us as they do for themselves.

And for those that want a little more on what is involved: http://developer.apple.com/videos/iphone/profiles/

cc/Services 2010BL/AI/MOD-2
  • Reply 29 of 40
    It is overly clear that apple has ZERO intention to charge for updates on iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads. Apple couldn't be more clear! So, why waste time with this rumor? Why waste time on most of the rumors?

Guys, give up on all these rumors.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    There has definitely been a concerted effort to smear Apple's reputation.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

who cares. iOS 3.2 is fine. what will iOS 4 bring that makes the iPad better?

Print?

Local file system?

iDisk type sync to MobileMe?

integrated iDisk access with extensions that launch apps?

multi-tasking?

I'll put some thought into it.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

who cares. iOS 3.2 is fine. what will iOS 4 bring that makes the iPad better?

multitasking?

folders?

common inbox?

I don't need any of that. I'm happy with 3.2
  • Reply 33 of 40
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

As an iOS Developer, it does not surprise me at all that there has been a delay. Why the delay, I can only speculate, but if I were to guess? I would have to believe they are hard at work on additional functionality that others have suggested in other threads. While my focus is still primarily on the phone, IMHO Apple has oversimplified the transition from iPhone to iPad, at least from a developers standpoint. There is more to it than that.

Having said that, I have just painted a huge bullseye on my chest.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post

Just the fact that there were fifteen hundred new APIs added to the new OS is a reasonable answer to justify the additional time. I would think that it would be prudent of Apple to allow the primary (tens of thousands of) users, not just the handful of selected developers who had the privilege to get early access to the new SDK, an equal opportunity and sufficient lead time to discover, try, vet, debug, comment, etc., on all the new features

I really don't understand what I said that offended you so. I think you have an unrealistically high expectation of people, and frankly, you seem to be a pretty angry person.

My thinking was that the underlying code for those APIs already had considerable testing and outside developer use, just not on the iPad. Not that any further changes don't need to be tested, it just seems like most of the work is already done.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    olddaveolddave Posts: 2member
    Leaving the update until fall, makes it more difficult for hardware/software companies to copy the new features if they are planning a fall or winter release.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Back to the original premise of the thread....

"FUD to the left,

FUD to the right,

debug, rewrite,

Fight! Fight! Fight!"
  • Reply 37 of 40
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

As an iOS Developer, it does not surprise me at all that there has been a delay. Why the delay, I can only speculate, but if I were to guess? I would have to believe they are hard at work on additional functionality that others have suggested in other threads. While my focus is still primarily on the phone, IMHO Apple has oversimplified the transition from iPhone to iPad, at least from a developers standpoint. There is more to it than that.

Having said that, I have just painted a huge bullseye on my chest.

Actually that is a great point. People are thinking iOS4 on iPad is just to bring it to parity with iPhone. But it could be a leapfrog kind of thing with each iOS release for iPhone and iPad. That is, iPad could get like a 4.2 while iPhone is at 4.1... Going into the end of the year I foresee iOS 4.2 for iPad in September and before or after, iOS 4.1 for iPhone. In the middle of 2011, we'll have to see which iDevice gets updated first to iOS 5.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

I thought the only web sites that made stuff up in order to get page views ended in "*modo."

I'm looking forward to the day when "No modo" becomes slang for "Buh Bye!"
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

multitasking?

folders?

common inbox?

I don't need any of that. I'm happy with 3.2

I need all those, especially folders. I can't imagine going back to before folders on my iPod Touch. How archaic.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I need all those, especially folders. I can't imagine going back to before folders on my iPod Touch. How archaic.

Yeah all of those are good. Unified email in-box is must have for me.