Apple profits soar 77% on record sales of 3.47 million Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Why is it despite Mac sales figures going up in leaps each quarter, Mac market share on

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-m...e.aspx?qprid=9

has barely moved over the past 12 months. Why is use of Macs not surging like Google Chrome?
  • Reply 22 of 109
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Good, but not great. FWIW, Andy Zacky's predictions were high across the board. The markets may see this as a miss, not a hit.

overall the market seems to be happy, up 3%.

Pretty much in line with "Good but not great".

At least it didn't fell off a cliff like goog.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Why is it despite Mac sales figures going up in leaps each quarter, Mac market share on

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-m...e.aspx?qprid=9

has barely moved over the past 12 months. Why is use of Macs not surging like Google Chrome?

Unlike Google Chrome, Macs are not free...

• Reply 24 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    100 million iOS devices - Amazing!
  • Reply 25 of 109
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Amazing numbers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

New iPod Touch

New Apple TV

What else?

- New (smaller, lighter, thinner) MacBook Air?

- Will the new MacPro wait until Jan'11

- An incremental update to iMac?

- Smaller, lower cost iPad variant?

I would like to see AppleTV with FaceTime. Don't ask me how they can do it though.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    Quote:

Unlike Google Chrome, Macs are not free...

True, but that would only work if Macs weren't selling. But if sales are surging I would have expected the % usage share to surge too. Unless loads of people are buying Macs and not using them
  • Reply 27 of 109
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

True, but that would only work if Macs weren't selling. But if sales are surging I would have expected the % usage share to surge too. Unless loads of people are buying Macs and not using them

The numbers that were linked to include all OSs, mobile and traditional, in one big pot. Apple sells more iOs than Mac OS, so that alone would, I think (didn't spend a lot of time looking at their numbers), keep their Mac OS numbers down in that presentation. And, I didn't see individual numbers for Chrome there.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    So now can we get a dividend? Just a little one? Please?

-- an Apple stockholder
  • Reply 29 of 109
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:

New iPod Touch

New Apple TV

What else?

- New (smaller, lighter, thinner) MacBook Air?

- Will the new MacPro wait until Jan'11

- An incremental update to iMac?

- Smaller, lower cost iPad variant?

: You are realistic, wise move.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Windsor Smith View Post

So now can we get a dividend? Just a little one? Please?

-- an Apple stockholder

No. I don't want dividends. Dividends are for utilities and staid old fossils like MSFT. Apple is a technology leader that needs to continue growing. I like the $40B in the bank. I love its price appreciation.

MSFT responded to demands for dividends, and pays, what, 3¢ a share (correction: 13¢.... big deal). Its share price has been flat ever since (of course, being a has-been of a company is a factor too).

No dividends.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    Wasn't the iPad supposed to cannibalize the Macintosh? No wait, the iPad is supposed to be a dud.

• Reply 32 of 109
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Amazing numbers.

I would like to see AppleTV with FaceTime. Don't ask me how they can do it though.

As Gruber wrote FaceTime can free us all from the chains of providers of fixed telephony service, at least.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

No. I don't want dividends. Dividends are for utilities and staid old fossils like MSFT. Apple is a technology leader that needs to continue growing. I like the $40B in the bank. I love its price appreciation.

MSFT responded to demands for dividends, and pays, what, 3¢ a share. Its share price has been flat ever since (of course, being a has-been of a company is a factor too).

No dividends.

Agree wholeheartedly.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Yet Leo Laporte and Co. keeps saying, "Apple doesn't care about Macs.", "Apple will replace OS X with iOS". To say this is to not know Apple and they should get someone else to host the show, for krists sakes.

Andy Inhanko keeps correcting them but they don't frikkin learn.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

MSFT responded to demands for dividends, and pays, what, 3¢ a share (correction: 13¢.... big deal). Its share price has been flat ever since (of course, being a has-been of a company is a factor too).

No dividends.

Such utter nonsense. Dividends are for companies throwing off more cash than they could realistically reinvest in expanding their business, a situation which perfectly describes Apple. The comparison to Microsoft is useless.
  • Reply 36 of 109
    "Apple now has $45.8 billion dollars in cash. That's a lot of cash -- up $4.1 billion from last quarter."
  • Reply 37 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

"Apple now has $45.8 billion dollars in cash. That's a lot of cash -- up $4.1 billion from last quarter."

They've been building cash reserves at a rate of over $1b a month for several years now. Some seem to think it would be virtually criminal for Apple to give even some small fraction of that growing cash hoard back to the stockholders. Beats me why.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Such utter nonsense.

You vote your shares, Dr. I'll vote mine.

I'll win.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

'

Isn't it kind of ironic to see AAPL in a position where they can buy Nokia for cash?
  • Reply 40 of 109
    Quote:

You vote your shares, Dr. I'll vote mine.

I'll win.

No, actually, you lose. We never get to vote our shares for or against a dividend, but I suppose you didn't know that.

Either way, I never do seem to get a response to substance of the matter, which tells me a lot about who gets it and who doesn't.