Apple assails iSuppli iPhone 4 part cost estimates

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Since Apple won't supply iSuppli with the actual costs, it's a bit rich to expect iSuppli to be accurate in their estimates. If they want it to be accurate, then Apple could provide the info that allows it. If they want to be secretive about such things, then surely they have no business b!tching* when a company like iSuppli consequently makes what Apple deems to be inaccurate guesses.

I wonder if any other manufacturers use their financial reporting conference call time to bleat about iSuppli? Perhaps somebody could look that up. Say, Daniel... you don't seem to have much to do, judging by this latest piece - you could probably fit that into your schedule.

*A colloquialism for "sniping", present tense of "to snipe" as opposed to past tense, "sniped".

Agreed that iSuppli will be off by a few points even if they have the best possible information anyone outside of Apple could. Apple isn't saying to them "Get your story in order", they are telling anyone who brings to them iSuppli quotes, that perhaps they may not be accurate. It was in response to a question, wasn't it?
  • Reply 42 of 124
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No... You're not.

Sounds like to me Oppenheimer is saying don't hang your hat on speculation - regardless of who's reporting it.
  • Reply 43 of 124
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Agreed that iSuppli will be off by a few points even if they have the best possible information anyone outside of Apple could. Apple isn't saying to them "Get your story in order", they are telling anyone who brings to them iSuppli quotes, that perhaps they may not be accurate. It was in response to a question, wasn't it?

And Apple's response, as for many things Apple, could and perhaps should have been "we don't comment on our costs of manufacture", but they chose instead to have a b!tch about it. There were other things questioned during that conference that they chose not to discuss, remember.

It just makes Apple look nervous. Poor form IMHO.
  • Reply 44 of 124
    Quote:

It just makes Apple look nervous. Poor form IMHO.

Not sure I understand. Why nervous?
  • Reply 45 of 124
    Quote:

But, as long as Apple can sell (essentially the same parts as other companies) at exorbitant prices, all's well within the iFanDom.

Just step back and think for a second, ready "how many other things in this world do you think are overpriced?"

So why not create some other hate nicknames:

PorscheFanDom

DiamondFanDom

CaviareFanDom

MovieTicketFanDom

GasolineFanDom

Now ask yourself how many people in this world buy those things? Why would they buy them for said price if they think its overpriced?
  • Reply 46 of 124
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by modernmagic View Post

Just step back and think for a second, ready "how many other things in this world do you think are overpriced?"

So why not create some other hate nicknames:

PorscheFanDom

DiamondFanDom

CaviareFanDom

MovieTicketFanDom

GasolineFanDom

Now ask yourself how many people in this world buy those things? Why would they buy them for said price if they think its overpriced?

Agreed... though they're hardly hate-based, as they refer to completely inanimate objects and I take none of these things personally - LOL!
  • Reply 47 of 124
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Don't be fooled. Figures which Isupply is providing are estimates and do not take into consideration allowances and special prices received by APPLE. So while they say the cost of the IPHONE4 is approximately $187.50, Apples price may be cheaper.

In any case Apple has NOW products, which are really top of the line and state- of -the -art.

This is the reason for their great earnings. Also they really care about their customers. Just go into any APPLE store or call up and they will really try hard to answer your questions or give you tech support.

Most companies today can't even match the quality and expertise of Apple!
  • Reply 48 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Don't be fooled. Figures which Isupply is providing are estimates and do not take into consideration allowances and special prices received by APPLE. So while they say the cost of the IPHONE4 is approximately $187.50, Apples price may be cheaper.

In any case Apple has NOW products, which are really top of the line and state- of -the -art.

This is the reason for their great earnings. Also they really care about their customers. Just go into any APPLE store or call up and they will really try hard to answer your questions or give you tech support.

Most companies today can't even match the quality and expertise of Apple!

Personally, I appreciate the nice hefty Military Discounts Apple provides...
  • Reply 49 of 124
    Quote:

Agreed... though they're hardly hate-based, as they refer to completely inanimate objects and I take none of these things personally - LOL!

This thread seems tailor-made for you as it gives you another opportunity to trash Apple. You were noticeably absent from all the threads highlighting Apple's success today. Coincidence? I think not.
  • Reply 50 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

This thread seems tailor-made for you as it gives you another opportunity to trash Apple. You were noticeably absent from all the threads highlighting Apple's success today. Coincidence? I think not.

To your opinion... you are entitled, though it does appear that you're taking this all too personally.

Note: Some of us do have other responsibilities during the day.

Have A Nice Night.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about, though I do wonder sometimes if the intention here is to 'moderate' or 'instigate'...

To each their own.

You're doing all the instigation. I'm being very moderate in not throwing you off.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're doing all the instigation. I'm being very moderate in not throwing you off.

Thank You, though I always endeavor to adhere to all forum rules/guidelines.
  • Reply 53 of 124
    Quote:

To your opinion... you are entitled, though it does appear that you're taking this all too personally.

Note: Some of us do have other responsibilities during the day.

Have A Nice Night.

Right. The ole I have a life card.

And thanks, you have a nice night, too.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    Quote:

Thank You, though I always endeavor to adhere to all forum rules/guidelines.

You ride a fine line, and go over the edge as well.

When you make comments such as Apple charging 10 to 20 times what their cost is, that's trolling. And you know it. You're looking for angry comments. I don't know where your shadow came from, but it's not looking good either.
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:

Not sure I understand. Why nervous?

Following on from the press conference where SJ spent practically all the session justifying Apple's decisions and attacking the opposition, I'd have thought the confident thing would have been to have resorted to their SOP of refusing to comment on stuff that has traditionally been off limits.

That they felt the need to attack iSuppli*, instead of shrugging it off with their standard no comment stance, smacked of an Apple that has lost some of its usual unassailable confidence.

I hope that clarifies my... um, ... opinion**.

*I understand that iSuppli was not named during the conference call, but DED has chosen to reference iSuppli in his 'smackdown' piece that this thread is attached to.

**(Just in case some Defender of the Faith? feels the need to attack this clarification, I use this word "opinion" to express my impression of the Apple representative's action. Note that this impression is one held by me and in no way implies that AppleInsider, nor its employees or contributors, hold any similar views. In addition, it is explicitly understood that in making my impression known, I am likely to incur the wrath of the Defenders of the Faith?, otherwise known as The Faithful?, and that I will likely be savaged, and reviled as the Utter Troll? that they believe me to be.)
  • Reply 56 of 124
    Quote:

Following on from the press conference where SJ spent practically all the session justifying Apple's decisions and attacking the opposition, I'd have thought the confident thing would have been to have resorted to their SOP of refusing to comment on stuff that has traditionally been off limits.

That they felt the need to attack iSuppli*, instead of shrugging it off with their standard no comment stance, smacked of an Apple that has lost some of its usual unassailable confidence.

*I understand that iSuppli was not named during the conference call, but DED has chosen to reference iSuppli in his 'smackdown' piece that this thread is attached to.

**(Just in case some Defender of the Faith? feels the need to attack this clarification, I use this word "opinion" to express my impression of the Apple representative's action. Note that this impression is one held by me and in no way implies that AppleInsider, nor its employees or contributors, hold any similar views. In addition, it is explicitly understood that in making my impression known, I am likely to incur the wrath of the Defenders of the Faith?, otherwise known as The Faithful?, and that I will likely be savaged, and reviled as the Utter Troll? that they believe me to be.)

Perhaps I've had one too many beers. Good night.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    Quote:

What exactly is the point of attempting to defend yourself? Just say what you want to. If it's absurd, people will tell you so. Perhaps it even is absurd. Perhaps it isn't, but just because people may not agree that doesn't mean that you're automatically right, because you define them in religious terms. Perhaps you're an apostate.
  • Reply 58 of 124
    Quote:

Perhaps I've had one too many beers. Good night.

And good night to you too.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What exactly is the point of attempting to defend yourself? Just say what you want to. If it's absurd, people will tell you so. Perhaps it even is absurd. Perhaps it isn't, but just because people may not agree that doesn't mean that you're automatically right, because you define them in religious terms. Perhaps you're an apostate.

Well I thought it obvious I was having some fun with that, but I was mistaken, I see.

Or maybe it's getting a little too serious around these parts?

I don't know what an apostate is but you're no doubt referring to my "Faithful" comments? That's my way of avoiding "Fanboys", "Fanbois", "Apologists", "Fandroids" and such. It all means the same stuff I suppose, but I thought a refresh was in order. Seems I was wrong about that as well.

• Reply 60 of 124
    Quote:

And Apple's response, as for many things Apple, could and perhaps should have been "we don't comment on our costs of manufacture", but they chose instead to have a b!tch about it. There were other things questioned during that conference that they chose not to discuss, remember.

Now you're just stirring the pot, Chopper. Apple never "had a bitch about it". If you listen to the call, the question was about Apple's margins. All Peter Oppenheimer said was:

"I'm suggesting you don't put a lot of credence in these third party reports."

That's about as far from "having a bitch" as you can get. It an extremely reserved reply.

Apple has no intent of revealing it's costs or it's margins. It will never happen. By the same token, they don't like to be taken to task for excessive margins by people who are just speculating about them.

Jesus people, why do you have to turn everything into a freakin' soap opera? This story is just about the biggest "non-story" I can imagine, yet somehow you manufacture a crisis.