Apple's new $69 Magic Trackpad allows multi-touch gestures on desktop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    What is the capacity of the batteries and what is the charge time? Can you use 3rd party batteries?
  • Reply 22 of 143
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Apple TV running iOS4 + Magic Trackpad. Sign me up.
  • Reply 23 of 143
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

But somehow I doubt the trackpad will be very good for gaming - can't hold down a button & move at the same time, possibly pushing the second button along the way. E.g. when strafing & throwing grenades.

Besides functionality, your best bet for gaming is wired peripherals, unless I missed something lately.
  • Reply 24 of 143
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Outrageously overpriced, but I want one.
  • Reply 25 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

You don't need them. The wireless Apple keyboard is more practical and it is probably conceived that small for that reason (using it in unusual positions like while on the couch).

Sometimes you need a mouse/trackpad. I don't want to be lying on the couch with two input devices.

A full keyboard on the couch is overkill for the minimal amount of typing that you'll be doing.
  • Reply 26 of 143
    royleeroylee Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

I think this could actually be the perfect remote for couch surfing/navigating of your mac or apple tv.

It depends on if/when Apple will build onscreen keyboards that will work with this trackpad.

Was hoping this came out with the revamped Apple TV with iOS. This would be perfect for controlling that from the couch.
  • Reply 27 of 143
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Sometimes you need a mouse/trackpad. I don't want to be lying on the couch with two input devices.

A full keyboard on the couch is overkill for the minimal amount of typing that you'll be doing.

Well, if we talk about really minimal typing then I agree.
  • Reply 28 of 143
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Outrageously overpriced, but I want one.

Why is this Outrageously overpriced?!

Precisely machined aluminum and glass don't come cheap. Have you ever designed and solicited quotes from machine shops for something like this?

Apple is delivering really great value lately, if you VALUE tight tolerances and high quality materials. If you are fine with injection molded plastic then I guess I understand that you may think Apple's hardware is overpriced...
  • Reply 29 of 143
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I wonder how popular this device will become. There will be some people who find it useful, but I can't help but think there are a lot more people who won't find a need for it.

Sort of like the iPad, huh.
  • Reply 30 of 143
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

What is the capacity of the batteries and what is the charge time? Can you use 3rd party batteries?

The Apple Charger + Batteries is actually a very nice deal. I just picked one up. It comes with 6 AA incredible batteries, plus you can charge your own 3rd party rechargeable batteries.

From the site:

More charges. Less waste.

The Apple Battery Charger sets a new industry standard: It has the lowest standby power usage value — or "vampire draw" — of any similar charger on the market.1 That's the energy most chargers continue to draw after their batteries are fully charged. But the Apple Battery Charger senses when its batteries are done charging and automatically reduces the amount of power it needs. In addition, the reusable batteries that come with each Apple Battery Charger are designed to maintain a high charge capacity for hundreds of charges, so you no longer have to buy new batteries or toss them every few months.

Standby Power Usage

After your battery charge cycle is complete, the Apple Battery Charger reduces its power intake to 30 milliwatts — that’s more than 10 times better than the industry average.1

30 mW

Apple Battery Charger

315 mW

Average Battery Charger

The smarter way to charge.

When the Apple Battery Charger recharges your batteries, it not only maximizes battery performance and lifespan, it also conserves energy. Thanks to an intelligent power management system, the Apple Battery Charger uses less power once your batteries are fully charged, making it one of the most energy-efficient rechargeable battery solutions ever. The Apple Battery Charger can recharge one or two batteries at a time. It's optimized for Apple-supplied batteries and it works with AA NiMH batteries from other companies, too.

Fully loaded. And then some.

Each Apple Battery Charger comes with six high-performance AA NiMH batteries: two for your keyboard, two for your mouse or trackpad, and two for charging. Unlike many other reusable batteries, these batteries have an incredibly long service life — up to 10 years.2 Which means you can finally break the cycle of buying and disposing of those toxic, single-use alkaline batteries. The batteries that come with the Apple Battery Charger kit also have an extraordinarily low self-discharge rate. Even after a year of sitting in a drawer, they still retain 80 percent of their original charge.3 That way you always have backup power when you need it.

It’s a beautiful fit.

The Apple Battery Charger is as well designed on the outside as it is on the inside. It has a sleek, compact shape so you can plug it in between tangles of desk wires or pack it neatly in your computer bag when you travel. And like Apple power adapters, the Apple Battery Charger is designed with a removable AC plug, so you can replace it with plugs that fit different outlets around the world.

What’s in the box

Wall outlet charger

Six rechargeable AA NiMH batteries
  • Reply 31 of 143
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:

Are you talking about for the AppleTV? Why not just use the remote app for the iPhone?

I plan to get one to replace a my trackball for my desktop. I prefer the trackpad in my laptop over the trackball because of multitouch and can't use a mouse (causes carpal tunnel symptoms).
  • Reply 32 of 143
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Goodbye Magic Mouse. Getting ready to go to the store right now.
  • Reply 33 of 143
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I'm wondering if MagicPrefs, BetterTouchTool, MouseWizard, etc. will eventually support the new Magic Trackpad...

My initial knock against the Magic Mouse was the loss of Expose functionality I've always had with my Mighty Mouse.

Edit: Never mind my basic lack of reading comprehension.

Quote:

The entire surface of Magic Trackpad is one large button, so you can click and double-click anywhere. Magic Trackpad also supports a full set of gestures, including two-finger scrolling, pinching to zoom, rotating with your fingertips, three-finger swiping, and activating Exposé or switching between applications with four fingers.

• Reply 34 of 143
    tpf1952tpf1952 Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Goodbye Magic Mouse. Getting ready to go to the store right now.

I just ordered a TrackPad from the Apple online store. I've been wanting one of these for years!

I've been using a Cirque trackpad as a substitute. Because the Cirque offers no support for Macs, it's a far cry from equalling what an Apple trackpad can do. Can't wait.
  • Reply 35 of 143
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The new Trackpad looks pretty light. One thing I found I couldn't do on the Magic Mouse was the sideways swipe because the mouse would move everytime I tried. Now, if the Magic Trackpad is even lighter, does it have a very sticky rubber surface on the undercarriage?
  • Reply 36 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The new Trackpad looks pretty light. One thing I found I couldn't do on the Magic Mouse was the sideways swipe because the mouse would move everytime I tried. Now, if the Magic Trackpad is even lighter, does it have a very sticky rubber surface on the undercarriage?

Probably the same surface as on the bottom of the keyboards.

The issue with the mouse is that you expect to be able to move it. A trackpad or keyboard doesn't need to slide around. I'd be surprised if this was a problem.
  • Reply 37 of 143
    BTW, based on how I use my MBP at home, I could definitely see having a mouse and a trackpad (and a Wacom ) on the same desktop computer.
  • Reply 38 of 143
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

easy, if you're on the couch with the keyboard on your lap, put the trackpad next to your leg...this is actually more ergonomic than it sitting at a desk. I can't see using this trackpad without resting my wrist on it somehow...
  • Reply 39 of 143
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Great! Exactly what I was waiting for! Can't wait to test this!

I emailed Steve last December about how I loved my new iMac 27" and the wireless keyboard and mouse but that it was a pain to have 2 things on my desk instead of one. I told him it would be great to have a wireless keyboard/trackpad.

Now if they could just attach the 2 it would be perfect.
  • Reply 40 of 143
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I emailed Steve last December about how I loved my new iMac 27" and the wireless keyboard and mouse but that it was a pain to have 2 things on my desk instead of one. I told him it would be great to have a wireless keyboard/trackpad.

Now if they could just attach the 2 it would be perfect.

Just apply a bit of crazy glue and butt them up against each other.