Apple discontinues 24, 30-inch Cinema Displays for 27-inch model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I hope Apple will release a 33" 133dpi 3840x2160 Cinema Display. The new Mac Pro is already powerful enough to drive it.

I doubt it, Apple likes the one size fits all approach and is convinced it is the ultimate authority on who needs what.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    gilwavegilwave Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Nobody needs the 30 inch. This makes a lot of sense. They will make more money by having fewer SKUs. And besides, the desktop is dead.

Says who? We use two 30" displays with Pro Tools for audio recording - one to show the active tracks, another for the effects plug-ins, transport controls and video pane.

I've seen lots of FInal Cut Pro set-ups in post production facilities with similar dual-30" configurations.

A lot of music and film professionals who use MacPro computers like the Apple aesthetic, and while we can buy 30" and larger monitors from other companies, we prefer to stay with Apple designed- and manufactured products.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:

Anybody who needs a bigger monitor will be very happy with the new 27 inch huge monitor.

Not so fast. All you "market savants" forget (or ignore) that we pros have repeatedly said we don't want the shiny, reflective edge-to-edge glass, would prefer a Firewire port over a pair of tiny, crappy display speakers, have no use for a built-in camera, and want the damn screen to stay at the brightness we calibrated it to that morning, not be "ambient light sensitive" to make adjustments on it's own just because someone opened the door to the editing suite.

It's more of a consumer crap intrusion into a professionals' workplace. If you don't get that, it's because you aren't one. Apple's making "greener" products to please jackasses like Al Gore's lemmings and forgetting the folks that got them into the dance.

I'll get my next big monitor from EIZO like my current 24" CG241W, and I won't shed any tears about it costing over $3000 when I'm using it to make 30x that.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Will supplant the larger monitor that is now gone. No worries.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    gilwavegilwave Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Not so fast. All you "market savants" forget (or ignore) that we pros have repeatedly said we don't want the shiny, reflective edge-to-edge glass, would prefer a Firewire port over a pair of tiny, crappy display speakers, have no use for a built-in camera, and want the damn screen to stay at the brightness we calibrated it to that morning, not be "ambient light sensitive" to make adjustments on it's own just because someone opened the door to the editing suite.

It's more of a consumer crap intrusion into a professionals' workplace. If you don't get that, it's because you aren't one. Apple's making "greener" products to please jackasses like Al Gore's lemmings and forgetting the folks that got them into the dance.

I'll get my next big monitor from EIZO like my current 24" CG241W, and I won't shed any tears about it costing over $3000 when I'm using it to make 30x that.

Wow zanshin - don't hold back, let us know how you really feel..
  • Reply 26 of 101
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Nobody needs the 30 inch. This makes a lot of sense. They will make more money by having fewer SKUs. And besides, the desktop is dead.

Many people need a 30 inch monitor. They will simply have to look elsewhere.

Yes, they will probably make more money having fewer SKUs, primarily because the 27" Cinema Display probably uses the same part as the screen in the largest iMac.

The desktop will never die, it will simply end up being a niche market. Over seventy percent of Apple's Mac sales are notebook systems and this figure continues to increase. My guess is that it will stabilize somewhere around ninety percent.

The computer monitor market is a cut-throat low-margin business and Apple is wise to concede this area to others who are willing to duke it out for razor-thin margins.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Will supplant the larger monitor that is now gone. No worries.

Nah, again the margins on televisions are too thin. Better for Apple to release a cost-reduced Apple TV set-top box built on ARM architecture and iOS, rather than try to build a TV display with the functionality built in. People don't change their television sets very often.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    possibly because the non-hobby Apple TV is on its way.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Herbie49 View Post

30' makes a lot of sense for video and photo editing. I hope we haven't to wait for too long for a 30' LED Cinema Display.

Yea it's not gonna happen...

The 30" panels just aren't being built... I suspect that lines capable of churning out that size are all churning out HDTVs instead. Check newegg if you like... I just checked myself and only found FOUR models 2 in the 1400 range and the other 2 well over $2k mark. I haven't checked but I'd bet Dell has also dropped 30" displays from their self branded displays.

Seems odd to me too cause you'd think there'd be a reasonable market for them but sadly not I guess... Or more to the point not enough to dissuade assembly lines from churning out HDTVs. \
  • Reply 29 of 101
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    The inclusion of the megasafe power adapter in all of its monitors shows Apples disregard for the professional market. I guess I could see it if the mini took megasafe but it doesn't.

It is clear that Apple is moving away from the user base that kept them in business through tough times towards the "prosumer" customer IE upper middle class who doesn't need it but has the disposable income.

While the MacPro is a great machine there is really no longer a need to buy an Apple monitor outside of style.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

So, to summarize, because YOU and other PROs (I am one as well) have specific needs (interestingly, your needs and mine are still different even though I am just as much a PRO as yourself) somehow Apple is shoveling crap straight into your office against your will by discontinuing the 30" ACD?

Don't confuse your own professional needs with the design parameters of a successful consumer electronics product in the year 2010. There are plenty of monitors that fit your specification. Apple doesn't make them, but I suspect you have plenty of other non-Apple gear in your rig, so what's the difference?

All that said: I make plenty of money with my Mac as well and I don't mind the glass, in fact I like it's durability & clean-ability. I certainly don't mind the convenience features (speakers & cameras). For truly critical color judgment there is a whole color department where they have millions of dollars of highly sophisticated equipment for judging, predicting & adjusting color so I don't worry about ambient light adjustments on my display.

So I get it. You're pissed off about something dumb. I get it. You are going to talk down anyone who disagrees with you by dismissing the professionalism. I get it. You are going to post your displeasure on the internet and needlessly tie the whole weird thing to Al Gore. I get it. You are super-awesome! I'm so please with myself for taking the time to lower myself to your level and write this.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new 27-inch Cinema Display will mark the end of the 24- and 30-inch models once supplies run out, leaving the company with just one standalone monitor offering.

David Moody, vice president of hardware marketing, confirmed to Macworld that Apple will sell the 24-inch and 30-inch Cinema Displays only while supplies last. After that, the 27-inch screen will be the only option for customers.

Announced on Tuesday, the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display will begin shipping from Apple in September. It sports a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution with 60 percent more screen real estate than the company's 24-inch LED display. It costs $999 and features a built-in iSight video camera, microphone and speakers, powered USB 2.0 hub, and universal MagSafe connector.

The display also features a new ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the display brightness based on external lighting conditions. With this, the hardware only uses as much energy as necessary to provide an optimum viewing experience.

The 16:9 display also features edge-to-edge glass on its front, and sits on an aluminum stand that makes tilting easy. It also uses in-plane switching, the same technology found in the iPad and iPhone 4 LCD displays, which allow a viewing angle of up to 178 degrees.

So, no more 2560x1600 resolution and you only have a choice of glossy mirror? I guess there is always Dell.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Rather presumptuous of you to tell me what I need, don't you think?

I placed my order for another 30" Cinema Display with my local Apple store just moments ago. I will store it and keep it as a spare. I have stated my reasons for this in other threads, so look there for as to why this makes sense for me. YMMV
  • Reply 33 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I want to do video editing on a jumbotron. 30m even better.

30m? Wouldn't that be like editing photos at an IMAX? While that would let you do some serious precision work, I wonder how much effort it would take to get your mouse from one end of the screen to the other. They would also need some amazingly high resolution.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

You are super-awesome! I'm so please with myself for taking the time to lower myself to your level and write this.

So why did you?
  • Reply 35 of 101
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    I think Apple is shooting themselves in the foot here - well maybe in the little toe. They need to have a display for under $1000. This is just to high for mere mortals.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:

...and want the damn screen to stay at the brightness we calibrated it to that morning, not be "ambient light sensitive" to make adjustments on it's own just because someone opened the door to the editing suite.....

Strangely, this is a question my local genius have been unable to answer the same way each time I pose the question. I would enjoy your take, or anyone else's...

At home I often plug my latest model 17 MBP into a current mac 24 inch monitor. For home use, the size, performance and convenience of the apple 24 is great.....

BUT

when I do dual screen, and try to turn down the lights in my study, by MBP screen dims, but no way I can make the apple respond to ambient light. is it SUPPOSED to ? If so any idea how i might achieve it? Not to be condescending, but i find more genii on this forum than my local store

You cannot see a dimmed 17MBP next to such a bright 24 inch display.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    Smart...Apple has always had a minimalist approach to their product line. I like it. Less packaging, shipping costs. The upside of this sort of efficiency is more resources and efforts can be directed to new products, improving current products and software.

You want less control on inventory, look at the myriad of models of Dell, HP, Sony, etc.

Good for Apple!
  • Reply 38 of 101
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I think Apple is shooting themselves in the foot here - well maybe in the little toe. They need to have a display for under $1000. This is just to high for mere mortals.

Maybe they just need to free up some counter space in the stores??? :P
  • Reply 39 of 101
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    I use my 30" monitor with my 12" Macbook Pro, and love it. I take the MacBook on the road, and plug it in at home.

I too do NOT want a shiny, reflective edge-to-edge glass monitor. Also, I need the large monitor for my work.

I too see the need for a smaller monitor. I do NOT like this call from Apple ! !
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Quote:

It's only dead for teenagers who want to waste time texting while driving down the hiway.

Does this mean the end of the matte screen for professionals? Surprising since Apple finally bent on the MacBook Pro displays. Well, some of them anyway.