Millions of Android users hit by malicious data theft app

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 216
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s interesting, for the past decade we?ve been hearing that Macs don?t get viruses because their marketshare is too small to be a concern.

Yet, Macs had viruses well before Mac OS X was introduced, back when they sold a lot less units and had even less marketshare. That doesn?t consider the fact that Mac sales are about double that of the average PC sale which indicates that Mac users may be a better target for thieves due to more disposable income to access.

This completely shatters that pejorative security through obscurity mantra that since Android has less marketshare than iOS devices.

Well, at least Norton has a chance to make some money on smartphones now.

Sure, anything can happen. There are exploits in code and brilliant though unethical coders that find other ingenious ways to circumvent security, but Apple did conceive and implement a foundation that makes this harder.

Oh im sorry did you mean to make sense?

Ok well, lets see.

Windows still commands around 89% installed user base. Its about getting to a vast audience, not about money. Its about doing damage to as many as possible.

The fact that Macs even HAVE viruses completely destroys YOUR argument! Only having roughly 10% marketshare is very much a big reason why we dont see very many viruses on macs.
  • Reply 202 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Love to see the fandroids response to this...

"Serious" users don't use fancy wallpapers by others on their smartphones. It's not a toy.

The info in that article is extremely sketchy, vague, unspecific, and deniable. And the author and editor have managed to totally avoid using the name of the suspect app in an 848 word article! Amazing, isn't it?

I don't trust this "news". At all.

Before anything else this article looks designed to incite distrust towards Android without any hard, checkable facts (to avoid future litigation?). So I suspect this comes from the iPhone camp, who, unsurprisingly and quite correctly, see the onslaught of Android – at the expense of iOS – as a direct threat. Because it is.
  • Reply 203 of 216
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Oh im sorry did you mean to make sense?

Ok well, lets see.

Windows still commands around 89% installed user base. Its about getting to a vast audience, not about money. Its about doing damage to as many as possible.

The fact that Macs even HAVE viruses completely destroys YOUR argument! Only having roughly 10% marketshare is very much a big reason why we dont see very many viruses on macs.

FACT: Mac OS has more marketshare than in the 90s yet it has less viruses.

FACT: Macs many times more units than they sold in the 90s yet have less viruses.

That blows your "security through obscurity" argument out the Windows, but if you want to live in your dream bubble then go right ahead, reality isnt? for everyone.
  • Reply 204 of 216
    Quote:

FACT: Mac OS has more marketshare than in the 90s yet it has less viruses.

FACT: Macs many times more units than they sold in the 90s yet have less viruses.

That blows your "security through obscurity" argument out the Windows, but if you want to live in your dream bubble then go right ahead, reality isnt? for everyone.

I don't feel like getting involved in fanboyish arguments, but since when does an increased market share and number of units mean that the overall ratio has increased? When the Macintosh first launched, it didn't have much competition, but when Microsoft eventually became the standard, dominant OS in the market, malware developers moved to Windows to tap into the larger user base. If Macs became widely used, a.k.a. greater than 7% versus 90%, then malware coders would have a greater incentive to target Macs.

Macs are still pretty obscure right now, so there's hardly any reason for anyone to target a small 7% of the market when they can go for a more lucrative 90%.
  • Reply 205 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mastermind777 View Post

I don't feel like getting involved in fanboyish arguments, but since when does an increased market share and number of units mean that the overall ratio has increased? When the Macintosh first launched, it didn't have much competition, but when Microsoft eventually became the standard, dominant OS in the market, malware developers moved to Windows to tap into the larger user base. If Macs became widely used, a.k.a. greater than 7% versus 90%, then malware coders would have a greater incentive to target Macs.

Macs are still pretty obscure right now, so there's hardly any reason for anyone to target a small 7% of the market when they can go for a more lucrative 90%.

And you ignore the time when Apple was nearly bankrupt, had less much less marketshare, a fraction of the yearly sales, and were much more obscure with mostly only ever seeing Macs in some dusty, dilapidated corner of a computer store (if lucky) yet had more viruses presents prior to Mac OS X.

When Mac OS X was out a couple years the argument was that it hasn?t been on the market long enough, but it?s been over 8 years, or is that not enough time to write viruses for Mac OS X? Where is there 7% of the viruses? Where is the accountability for Macs costing double the average the non-Mac PC or that targeting cheap $400 machines to steal personal data would typically yield worse results than hacking a machine from a buyer willing to plop down a couple grand for a machine.

The argument is foolish that Macs are obscure. Even now we have viruses for phones. It?s the nature of things. When your business mode is to create a platform any manufacturer can use and are required to support legacy code much longer than is necessary because of said business model it makes proactive safeguarding considerably more difficult, if not impossible. As a result Android is much more susceptible to more malicious attacks than WebOS, iOS, WP7 or BB OS. It?s the nature of things. The more you spread your kingdom the less overall fortified it becomes.
  • Reply 206 of 216
    Quote:

And you ignore the time when Apple was nearly bankrupt, had less much less marketshare, a fraction of the yearly sales, and were much more obscure with mostly only ever seeing Macs in some dusty, dilapidated corner of a computer store (if lucky) yet had more viruses presents prior to Mac OS X.

When Mac OS X was out a couple years the argument was that it hasn?t been on the market long enough, but it?s been over 8 years, or is that not enough time to write viruses for Mac OS X? Where is there 7% of the viruses? Where is the accountability for Macs costing double the average the non-Mac PC or that targeting cheap $400 machines to steal personal data would typically yield worse results than hacking a machine from a buyer willing to plop down a couple grand for a machine.

The argument is foolish that Macs are obscure. Even now we have viruses for phones. It?s the nature of things. When your business mode is to create a platform any manufacturer can use and are required to support legacy code much longer than is necessary because of said business model it makes proactive safeguarding considerably more difficult, if not impossible. As a result Android is much more susceptible to more malicious attacks than WebOS, iOS, WP7 or BB OS. It?s the nature of things. The more you spread your kingdom the less overall fortified it becomes.

Macs are becoming more prevalent, yes.

I work in a business that is run and operated on Macs. I have no beef with Apple or Macintosh. I think they are great machines! However, you are completely missing the point. Viruses have traditionally been very windows centric because that is, was, and continues to be the DOMINATE OPERATING SYSTEM! Just because the macintosh is exploding in sales right now doesnt mean that all the virus, malware, and spyware writers jump ship tomorrow and start writing everything for mac. It takes time. So what if mac users have more disposable income? If I wanted to create a phishing scam, I would rather target the largest audience because I have a MUCH greater chance of getting many more people to fork over money. A virus writer would rather take the 1000 people with 5 dollars to lose than 100 people with 10 dollars to lose.

For petes sake every Mac head in my company will tell you that the major advantage of being in the minority is not having to be the target of crapware. Sure, UNIX-esque operating systems are inherently more secure, but not completely impenetrable.

As a matter of fact, if you actually look around, Macintosh viruses are becoming a growing concern, because, as you say, macs ARE becoming more popular. Not to mention the fact, even though Macs cant be infected by windows viruses, they can be carriers and spread the infection onto someone who is running windows.

Have you heard about ?OSX.Trojan.iServices.A?? It was a mac trojan distributed with pirated copies of iLife '09.

http://theappleblog.com/2009/01/26/m...time-to-worry/

I wish only the best for Apple and their products. I plan to own one someday, but on the same token, dont be foolish by thinking that macs can never be infected by viruses. You will end up getting yourself, and most likely others infected.
  • Reply 207 of 216
    Quote:

Viruses have traditionally been very windows centric because that is, was, and continues to be the DOMINATE OPERATING SYSTEM!

There’s your problem. You’ve come to an erroneous conclusion based on limited data and absolutely no research. Your entire argument is “because its dominate, it therefore is less secure.” That’s post hoc ergo propter hoc.
  • Reply 208 of 216
    Quote:

There?s your problem. You?ve come to an erroneous conclusion based on limited data and absolutely no research. Your entire argument is ?because its dominate, it therefore is less secure.? That?s post hoc ergo propter hoc.

I wish you would read my entire posts. Nowhere have I ever defended Windows. Nowhere have I ever advocated that Its popularity was the ONLY reason it had so many viruses and problems. I was however countering your argument that Macs Obscurity has NOTHING to do with why Macs have very few viruses. I am saying that is ONE of the reasons and cannot be discounted.

I personally use Ubuntu for that very reason. I dont like Windows. I think it is buggy, flaky, and antiquated. I am in no way shape or form a "windows fanboy" I am trying to get you to look past your own fanboyism for just one second and look at the bigger picture and not just one aspect.
  • Reply 209 of 216
    Quote:

I was however countering your argument that Macs Obscurity has NOTHING to do with why Macs have very few viruses.

No, you haven’t, because I’ve pointed out that Mac OS had more viruses with a fraction of the sales and the marketshare they have now. You’ve done nothing to address my point regarding opportunity, you’ve just keep making a clichéd comment that can’t be backed up without falling into a logical fallacy.

PS: Your extremists comments and “fanboy” comments are doing nothing to support any point you might have. This topic has nothing to do with likes or dislikes, it’s about using reason to come to verifiable conclusions, not ones that sound good and have been repeated ad nauseam so they must be true conclusions. Your argument is akin to the adage “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Surely apples aren’t unhealthy for you (I can point out their nutrients), but to say they do in fact keep you from needing a doctor is a fallacy and not made true simply because you’ve heard the frame your entire life.
  • Reply 210 of 216
    Quote:

No, you haven?t, because I?ve pointed out that Mac OS had more viruses with a fraction of the sales and the marketshare they have now. You?ve done nothing to address my point regarding opportunity, you?ve just keep making a clichéd comment that can?t be backed up without falling into a logical fallacy.

PS: Your extremists comments and ?fanboy? comments are doing nothing to support any point you might have. This topic has nothing to do with likes or dislikes, it?s about using reason to come to verifiable conclusions, not ones that sound good and have been repeated ad nauseam so they must be true conclusions. Your argument is akin to the adage ?an apple a day keeps the doctor away.? Surely apples aren?t unhealthy for you (I can point out their nutrients), but to say they do in fact keep you from needing a doctor is a fallacy and not made true simply because you?ve heard the frame your entire life.

http://news.techworld.com/security/5...us-hits-apple/

I have pointed out that UNIX operating systems such as Mac OS X are inherently more secure. I have pointed out that I recognized that Windows is buggy. I have pointed out that Mac OS X is not impenetrable (see above example). I believe we will see more motivation to crack through OS Xs exterior (no matter how tough) as Apples marketshare continues to grow. Apple continues to release security updates for OS X, so apparently there are holes and a real threat. (see above example).
  • Reply 211 of 216
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? Please name the Apple AppStore apps which have sent the same information to China for millions of users as this wallpaper app. It's easy for you to lie and pretend things, now try to prove it.

Somebody has already responded to the question above so I won't repeat it except to point out, again, that apps mining and sending information from your iPhone, (assuming you actually have one - that's not a given), is common practice. Pretending that it's unique to Android is utter lunacy.

As to the comment about pretending and lying, there's not one regular poster on this site who exemplifies those things as you do.

You need to take heed of your own words.
  • Reply 212 of 216
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Hey hey hey... now you've gone too far, I've been to Shenzhen a couple times and have fond memories. Made some good friends there... leave them alone.

Nice! I never got to Shenzhen. I lived in Taiwan for a while and had a blast.

Still not too sure if I would want my personal details sent there without me though
  • Reply 213 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Nice! I never got to Shenzhen. I lived in Taiwan for a while and had a blast.

Still not too sure if I would want my personal details sent there without me though

Shenzhen is no picnic. It's impossible to avoid throngs of begging amputees and prostitutes pulling your arms just about anywhere near the border, and robberies and kidnappings are common. I feel very lucky I got away unscathed.
  • Reply 214 of 216
    shaoshao Posts: 39member
    Quote:

You're ignoring, of course, the fact that the issues are entirely unrelated.

i disagree. a system that allows purchases to be made to my credit card, without permission from me highlights more than username / password insecurities. How can such a blatant hole in the itunes system have existed for so long, and be exploited so much, and across many nations. I'm sorry if you feel i'm a fanboy for defending the victims of poor reporting by appleinsider, but if you cannot see that apple's walled-garden system failed on so many more levels you are truely the one that should be tarred with the fanboy brush.

Quote:

OTOH, you have the Android flaws being discussed here where the users's personal information is being sent to China without permission.

incorrect

the application states perfectly clearly that personal information will be accessed by this application when it is installed. Indeed, this is a clear differentiator between the apple store, and the android store - users are notified upfront of the permissions requested by an application, and can choose not to install it, or install updates. This is a good thing. When i install an app on my ipad i see no such declarations of intent, and therefore have no idea what the app might be doing.

Quote:

Surely even an Android fanboy can see the difference, no?

indeed i can. it is you, sir, that are affected by the RDF

Quote:

ROTFLMAO. Whining self-defense. Basically, he says it's OK for the app to send your personal information to China because other apps do it, too.

no. my point was to highlight the hypocrisy in appleinsider's poor reporting, and double standards. I apologise if this simple logic flew over your head.

On an unrelated note, i like your association that simply because it is sending information to china it is a bad thing. ideals of privacy don't have to align with your fear of those pesky commies, you know! :-P

Quote:

Really? Please name the Apple AppStore apps which have sent the same information to China for millions of users as this wallpaper app. It's easy for you to lie and pretend things, now try to prove it.

Please go back and read up on subsequent stories about this application story, that have been posted here. and then please retract your spout of lies and nigh on racism.

1) the phone app doesn't send the information this article from appleinsider says it does

2) it was downloaded by 100s of 1000s, not millions

3) i linked stories of itunes apps that were stealing money from people's accounts. infinitely worse, my unlearned friend.

Quote:

Oh, and I love the part about needing 8 permissions to run a wallpaper app.

1) it's not 8 permissions, it's 5

2) the fact the android marketplace notifies you of the permissions required by an app IS A GOOD THING!

3) 'backgrounds' is an app that requires 8 permissions. 'backgrounds' is also an app on the itunes app store. you can get it for your beloved iphone. It is accessing more personal, and phone specific information than that application being reported on here. That, in my book, makes it worse.
  • Reply 215 of 216
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    This is hilarious. In every security competition over the past few years the mac has been pwned first. Most malware is written by people in Russia and Asia where there are few apple computers, why the hell are they going to bother trying to get hold of a mac to write malware to target a less than 10% market share in the rest of the world. The mac is certainly not more secure. All this crap about open source meaning insecure is BullSh*t too. It is a commonly known fact that Linux is more secure than mac and windows. People seem to forget that open source means that anyone can spot and patch vulnerabilities (those that are clever enough anyway, probably not the vast majority of apple fanboys then...). If anyone finds a vulnerability in OSX or Windows they can report it and then wait up to a week or more for someone else to patch it. How on earth can that be more secure....? Apple take a particularly long time with this.

Now back to smart phones. I am surprised AppleInsider has not posted a story on this PDF vulnerability in ALL versions of iOS http://gizmodo.com/5603319/new-apple...full+(Gizmodo)

A vulnerability is going to be found in Apple software just as much as anyone else in the market. Get over yourselves you stupid fanboys.

Posted from my macbook pro after reading on my iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 216 of 216
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Google: Android wallpaper apps were not security threats; developer's suspension lifted

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16666...wallpaper_apps