Millions of Android users hit by malicious data theft app

Comments

• Reply 121 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by notafanboy View Post

Until Jobs and his minions start believing that apple owners have enough intelligence to change the batteries in their products, Apple and it?s fanboys should stop bashing any other product, including Android.

How soon we forget about that "great" antenna design on the eyeFone 4.

Yep, millions of minions. Who don't have to change batteries because *gasp* the batteries don't need to be replaced! And then they don't have phones that blow apart everytime they're dropped because there's no way to build a slim device that has a battery with decent life AND a secure coverplate to keep it in place. Nearly every touch-screen smartphone is an incremental of the benchmark established by the iPhone. Poor guy. Too much time under the bridge, the sunlight hurts the eyes a bit doesn't it - you need to get out more.
  • Reply 122 of 216
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think it's fair to blame Google for this. People know it's an open marketplace, so it's their responsibility to check out the developer, make sure they're reputable, before installing something. They have to think of their phone as same as a PC in that respect.

Exactly.

Android = Windows of mobile. Insecure, crappy, bloated.
  • Reply 123 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gristan View Post

>Recently I have switched to Verizon when I got my HTC Incredible. The phone is awesome and smart phones rule, but the poor sound quality, poor reception, and more dropped calls than I care to remember with Verizon makes me despise them. I love the incredible for what it can do. But I hate Verizon for what it can't.

>P.S. I also got to play with a friends iphone 4. The first thing I tried was to block the reception since it had no bumper. I found that to be an impossible task. The thing had full bars!

>Today I was playing with HTC Desire and I could easily kill the signal using the "iphone death grip" on it. And it was a total surprise to me. 4 bars to zero in a few seconds. No wrestling, just a normal grip.

First time I heard about the iPhone's issue I was like OMG, but apparently quite a few phones out there share this issue. It's a pity that nobody treats other phones' deathgrips seriously. Frankly, it's ridiculous. Seems that no-one cares about other phones.

Meanwhile I do not care how big an issue it is on other phones, finger vs. a completely casual left hand grip is ALL THE SAME to me. Since the issue is there, one way or another, I'll be getting an iPhone 4.

Fingers vs. grips - all the same, since they effect the exact same, so called "normal use".

You have to remember that the average phone maker is bringing out dozen of phones each year as compared to the one per year Apple product line. This means that if they can deliver 80% against user expectation they are doing OK - as long as they sell phones. HTC took a hit on the smartphone side - because Apple raised the bar and the other makers have to speak to the bar -not ignore it and hope that they offer something "good enough". This has Motorola working overtime to erase a dismal past few years and throwing a lot of their resources into the Droid effort - good for those who are carrier or Android loyal but it is still built on their current hardware framework - which means using their existing antennas. These were "good enough" until someone started calling out Apple for signal attenuation and suddenly "good enough" isn't. Not a bad thing.
  • Reply 124 of 216
    Before all you fanboys jizz your pants, appleinsider posted inaccurate information. Here's a more updated information that appleinsider probably won't post in the original article

Quote:

But later, Quentyn Kennemer was able to write,

"MyLookout chimed in with us to clarify some details.... Specifically, the app does collect data from your phone, but only the device's phone number, subscriber identifier, and voicemail number fields are retrieved. SMS and browsing history are not touched by any of the apps they analyzed throughout their Blackhat conference."

Kennemer then continued, "Your voicemail's password is also not transmitted unless you included the password in your phone's voicemail number field."

Way to post FUD info appleinsider. Continue to jizz away apple fanboys, it's not as bad as you make it out to be.
  • Reply 125 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harmoniousDISCORD View Post

Hello all. After reading the three page discussion that's taken place on this site concerning the app that may/may not have been collecting personal data, I felt compelled to create an account and ask a few questions.

Now I understand that this site is about as Apple-biased as you can get, but come on.. do you guys spend all day just looking for things wrong with Android? Is it an insecurity thing or do you really think iOS is the best thing since sliced bread? Your hatred of all things Android is absolutely ridiculous! I mean, it seems like somebody that worked at Google killed your best friend or something. I don't think there could be any more bitterness and hatred here.

See? Just because I use and love Android doesn't mean I have to spend all day searching for faults in other OS's. Sure, I love that I can sideload apps onto my phone without having to root it, and I actually prefer the Android Marketplace to the App Store (even though there is a higher chance of there being dangerous apps on it). The way I see it, I would rather be able to decide for myself if something is safe than have somebody else decide for me, and that's exactly what Android lets you do when it tells you what information an app has access to. Don't blame Android because people don't pay attention to warnings. If you see a calculator app is going to have access to your passwords, IMEI, stored passwords, and credit card, you probably shouldn't download it.

Who'da thunk a site named APPLEINSIDER would be biased??!! Dur. Contributors here don't have to look all day long for Android stuff - it gets reported and recorded in AI for general comment, if it's relevant. Your commentary smacks of the worst kind of defensiveness - spoken to in volumes by the effort you took to prove to the posters here how even-handed you are, how you like some parts of the iPhone, but not others. It is not in dispute that the app in the article collected info - so no "may/may not" about it. Whether it was the deep delve that was originally claimed is in dispute - and that's OK. I don't expect any balance on the threads over in Androidland and I expect all kinds of diatribe about perceived and imagined faults of the iPhone, Apple or ATT - and get it in reams of screen drivel. It's OK - my expectations are met - you have highly unrealistic expectations and went to great lengths to prove it. Just stop. These are not the commenters you are looking for. This is AI - a site about Apple, complete with a fine set of internalized trolls and clueless idiots to match any on the Android fan fora.

If you wish I can throw you a bone as condescending as your comments, but it's unneccessary and not worth my time. Get over yourself. Enjoy Android. Don't sweat the Apple fansites commentary - see its real easy. Move on.
  • Reply 126 of 216
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

IMO this is the one major difference between the application stores. With Apple you are guaranteed that when you install an application it comes from the developer you think it does (because they are all signed). You have no such guarantee with the Android application store.

All Android applications are signed
  • Reply 127 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

So, a more open platform has disadvantages (not that something like this can't happen with the Apple model), but that doesn't mean a closed platform doesn't also have disadvantages. It is strange how people can't see that while Apple's closed model has some major advantages, like security, that it doesn't mean it is perfect. It is possible for Apple's closed model to remain secure and yet allow more flexibility.

Are you REALLY giving any creedence to those few in this forum that actually are idiotic enough to make the claim of perfection for the platform? Is that REALLY necessary?? And who in here has said that the closed model isn't a mixed bag, just like Android is a different mixed bag. There are decided personal preferences - but that's ALL they are - experience has proven all of this pretty conclusively by now I would have thought.
  • Reply 128 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

there's no way to build a slim device that has a battery with decent life AND a secure coverplate to keep it in place.

Check out Samsung Captivate and you'll be surprised. It's 0.39" thick, has replaceable battery and secure battery compartment lock
  • Reply 129 of 216
    I am very much laughing in the face of all the Droid trolls.
  • Reply 130 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

I am very much laughing in the face of all the Droid trolls.

As Apple fanboy you have to, otherwise you'll find that there are a lot of good devices beside Apple's ones. Keep laughing and be blind!
  • Reply 131 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

Check out Samsung Captivate and you'll be surprised. It's 0.39" thick, has replaceable battery and secure battery compartment lock

and the battery life in regular useage is what? See- address the entire argument, not bits and pieces. A Hyundai Elantra has four wheels and can drive on the highway - that makes it as good or better than a Dodge Viper - right? The Captivate might be a really good smartphone - and that's OK. I prefer my iPhone - because after repeatedly going to the ATT store and trying out all the other options the iPhone still is a much better use experience FOR ME. If you have found a phone that fits your needs - goody! You are now a happy consumer - why sully your experience with posting drivel in obviously fan-laden fora?

It's OK to be a fanboy - if that makes you happy, but pissing in other people's wheaties is just dumb and post-adolescent angst. Why are you so bloody threatened by personal preferences at variance with your own? Isn't the very critical "anti-fanboy" behavior you are practicing here just another form of fanboyism? It's not bad that this happened on the Android platform - because just like all the issues called out about the Apple platform the scrutiny will help the platform (hopefully) get better.
  • Reply 132 of 216
    Android phones should not be allowed in the Enterprise.
  • Reply 133 of 216
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:

IMO this is the one major difference between the application stores. With Apple you are guaranteed that when you install an application it comes from the developer you think it does (because they are all signed). You have no such guarantee with the Android application store.

Every single app in the Android Market is signed.
  • Reply 134 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Android phones should not be allowed in the Enterprise.

And should not be allowed because...
  • Reply 135 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

It is not in dispute that the app in the article collected info - so no "may/may not" about it.

Yes, it's disputed. That an app has some permission doesn't imply that the app is collecting data.
  • Reply 136 of 216
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Every single app in the Android Market is signed.

Well bugger me... that removes one of the last differences I thought existed. Turns out both stores are pretty much the same thing!
  • Reply 137 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

And should not be allowed because...

• Reply 138 of 216
    qualiaqualia Posts: 73member
    Wow. Fanboys are still treating replaceable batteries as some sort of killer feature? Even though hardly anybody would ever be carrying around an extra battery unless their phone's battery was completely awful? Even though there are cases out there that act as a second battery for the iPhone?

And this idea that an app that stores information on your phone or allows you to tether it is equivalent to an app that SENDS INFORMATION to somebody in China is ridiculous and shows that Android fanboys don't understand that details matter (but I'm not surprised as these are the same people who think that making Gnome/KDE full of chrome and gradients makes them just as good as OS X and Windows).

I feel bad for the people who the average consumer with an Android phone: Google just wants to sell their information, the phone companies just want to fleece them, and even the Android community looks down at them with contempt (read the reactions of fanboys who think that it's the user's fault that they click yes to a vague warning that almost every app they install gives). Hopefully, for their sake, the iPhone will be released on more networks soon.
  • Reply 139 of 216
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Great argument, if it was one.
  • Reply 140 of 216
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Well bugger me... that removes one of the last differences I thought existed. Turns out both stores are pretty much the same thing!

There are two things to consider.
    1. What does signed mean in comparison to the Android and iOS app stores?

2. Does the average customer know that if they bypass the Android Marketplace and install an app they downloaded from another site that it?s not going to be signed and could potentially be harmful?