Australia's Telstra awards iPhone 4 "Blue Tick" for superior reception

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

And maybe you people in the USA ought to start thinking about your laws that force companies like Apple to do deals with lazy telcos like AT&T to get access to decent national telecommunications networks?

At least in Australia the current government is doing something about creating a national broadband network for every Australian citizen and business without being beholden to deals with particular network operators. Our only problem is that we have an election coming up where a moronic opposition party will undo all this visionary work and return us to the last century along with the USA. You need to think really long and hard about how vital a single, unified national broadband network will become for any successful economy in this century. Only then will innovative companies like Apple really be able to show us the future.

Having lived in Australia and the USA, I would say, the USA is one helluva complicated place. It's always a mixture of freedom but trying to work together.

Australia on the other hand, has had a "Just get it done or don't bother trying" kind of mentality. It has been progressive on IT, broadband, education and healthcare -- I know by Australian standards some may have considered these advancements to have slowed down over the past decade in many ways -- but for the list of developed countries, Australia is doing alright.

However, in 2003 I was one of the suckers that signed up for the first 3G service on the telco "Three" and got a terrible, ugly, clunky Motorola 3G phone. Was a pretty lousy experience, but I was an early adopter...
  • Reply 82 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Thanks for the geography lesson, it is good to get some knowledge of the country I live in, I wouldn't have known any of that.

Here is a couple of links for you, please read them, in the second link, please refer to the definition of "West Island"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_words

I apologise for assuming that someone outside of New Zealand would understand a local joke.

My wife wife was born in Christchurch and left New Zealand at 18 and lived in Australia until prior to our marriage. I been there many times to both countries and never heard that specific joke.

I was in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, only last Dec. for Christmas.

P.S. You need to chill "South Sea Pom" :-)
  • Reply 83 of 84
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

My wife wife was born in Christchurch and left New Zealand at 18 and lived in Australia until prior to our marriage. I been there many times to both countries and never heard that specific joke.

I was in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, only last Dec. for Christmas.

P.S. You need to chill "South Sea Pom" :-)

fwiw, i know the "west island" joke... have family in auckland, been there and welli a number of times, south island backpacking some time ago.
  • Reply 84 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

fwiw, i know the "west island" joke... have family in auckland, been there and welli a number of times, south island backpacking some time ago.

I was not doubting him, just saying never heard that specific joke.