Apple seeks engineer for 'revolutionary' new Mac OS X feature

Comments

• Reply 81 of 165
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You could always employ a little imagination and envisage a monitor that laid flat on your desk. Like every book and piece of paper you used at high school. It's a good job some people are able to think outside the box, or there would never be any progress...

It hardly constitutes AMAZINg software. But a flat 20" screen would be a nightmare in my view. A touch screen keyboard which would be customizable and application adaptable would be very cool - me thinks.
  • Reply 82 of 165
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    I too am feeling an OSX and iOS convergence coming (or at least a semi-convergence). As some one earlier mentioned, perhaps it is a new type of App store, but instead of running the apps locally, they are all run remotely in a dedicated sandbox that is your account. You can get to any of these apps from your Mac/iPad/iPhone/etc.

Or, maybe this could be just the new program supposedly coming in the new iLife...
  • Reply 83 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sounds amazingly vague.

Better than the standard Microsoft script of "this is what we really need now, but hope to have in a few years if all goes well".
  • Reply 84 of 165
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

New antenna that shorts out when you touch it? lol

Wow....an antenna joke....how original.....get a life troll....antenna jokes are lame now...
  • Reply 85 of 165
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

iOS integration, rapid start, ssd backup drive,

turns on like any appliance

sequestered software, so crashes of total system minimized

no keyboard-laser projected fingers don't touch anything

magic tracpad keyboard

face recognition from the screen, no sign ins.

3d camera support for iChat

eye tracking, face tracking

ota, wireless use of iOS from nearby iphone, ipod touch

HTML5 auto emulation,

chocolate sauce, and M&M's

You should apply for the job!
  • Reply 86 of 165
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

try using dropbox sometime, there is no conscious upload, your shared folder contents automatically sync - and it's seamless and very fast. This would be nothing new.

Agreed. Stupid of Apple to not have something like Dropbox from the get-go for the iPad.
  • Reply 87 of 165
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Apple probably used the word "revolutionary" 3 times when they advertise for janitors.

No, a janitor's job is "magical"
  • Reply 88 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Facetime Facetime Facetime

indeed, facetime must eventually = ichat...

My dream is that there are two or three isight cameras on the front of the mac, and that they average their images to make it look like you are looking into the camera when you talk on a video conference, instead of looking at the image of the person you are talking to (looks like staring into space for the person you're talking to). It would deliver the emotional punch to video calling that the medium is crying out for.

I don't think this fits the job description, but it would be "very apple" to make the interface so intuitive and satisfying.
  • Reply 89 of 165
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Imagine if there was a Final Cut program written in Go. . .Then Final Cut just runs and you use it like an app with local content. If you need an update, you can visit the URL to get a new copy of the code.

This concept completely shakes up the way developers write apps and users use them and buy them and I think it's something that needs to be done.

But . .but . . we users don't want the way we use things to be shaken up. Users are too conservative to appreciate and put to the best use what you've described. OTOH, I think you've got a handle on something revolutionary and awe-inspiring, something that I would definitely love to see implemented.

On the third hand, this might bring about a lessening of software piracy - good news for consumers with (hopefully) associated price drops.

Marvin, thanks for stretching my mind this evening!
  • Reply 90 of 165
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

iOS *is* (or will become), OS-XI except they won't call it that because iOS sounds a heck of a lot better.

Plus, they've run out of cat names.
  • Reply 91 of 165
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Apple probably used the word "revolutionary" 3 times when they advertise for janitors. You are reading way too much into it.

-kpluck

I think the more interesting part of the ad was where it said whatever it was had never been done before.
  • Reply 92 of 165
    Virtualization//Cloud computing the Apple way ( my 2 cents based on job description).
  • Reply 93 of 165
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    I think 10.7 will be the last iteration of OSX, and the last iteration of the desktop paradigm. iOS has already dispensed with it, and OSXI (or whatever they call it) will be the 'revolutionary', possibly 3-D interface where the cloud will be the equivalent of another volume where your music library etc. will be stored.
  • Reply 94 of 165
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

You think?

...I don't.

Well THATS CHEATING. ... If you're actually gonna take the time to read AND comprehend the words of an article prior to making a comment then they'll be forced into pulling you're forum posting privilages.
  • Reply 95 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't think this is right at all.

For starters it makes no sense at all to integrate iOS into Mac OS-X. It's like advocating that all Windows Vista needed was to integrated into a DOS environment. Touch-screen desktop computing makes little sense to begin with, and the fact that you can't pick up your desktop and roll it around to activate the compass, gyroscope or tilt sensors makes the whole thing ridiculous.

Secondly, they don't need to hire some new genius just to do that. It would be fairly straightforward to do the coding, just like running Classic used to be.

Third, the mention of HTML and web technologies makes it sound far more likely this has something to do with the server farm apple is almost finished building. While the common wisdom was that this farm would be used for iTunes streaming, it could also be that they will use it instead to do that "portable home folder" idea that's been floating around for a while.

I like the way you're thinking... However something seems to be screaming LOOK AT THE SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGIES Apple has acquired over the not too distant past.
  • Reply 96 of 165
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    What if Apple was about to do an end around on the cable companies using iTunes and those data centers. 1080p is great but 720p is very good for TV and all a person would need is an internet connection. I believe that 720p can be streamed as long as there is enough servers. Imagine that you like to watch the American channels but not all of them and in fact only few shows, but you do like world content, but can't get that. With Apples' connections it could be easy to feature all the content and have people signup just for what they want to view. All of this handled through the iTunes account. in most cases it would be cheaper than cable, and if packaged correctly, better. Also games could be distributed like this as well as applications. Currently there is no to little competition for cable TV, but the internet is changing that and Apple is in a perfect place to take advantage of that.
  • Reply 97 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

maybe we will finally get the virtual assistant from the knowledge navigator. well i can hope...

THIS .... Oh and look back five or so months ago and notice the company Apple purchased. I'll link to a video if I can find it... Of the new software ... Not knowledge navigator...

Video Presenation from 2009 - http://vimeo.com/5424527
  • Reply 98 of 165
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

New antenna that shorts out when you touch it? lol

Wow, you wet through the whole registration process just to make that one incredibly lame comment. Good job.
  • Reply 99 of 165
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonBee View Post

I read the first few lines of this article and came to the same conclusion.

This should get interesting. I like the open nature of OS configurations as we have them...but a new day is coming. I will go out on a limb and state for the record that I think the iOS, for better or for worse, is the future of consumer computing, and possibly enterprise desktop computing.

The revenue options/revenue streams are not like anything the industry has ever experienced to date and I'm sure they're working hard on Apple's lead to bring those options to the desktop where everyone truly live and works.

JB

iOS integrated into OSX but as a sandboxed closed/curated 'enclave' inside OSX. So you can run iOS apps in your desktop, and still keep the full flexibility and openness of OSX.

Why the hell would Mr. Jobs have Apple do such a complicated thing? Because this, after laying all the groundwork these past 10 years, is where Apple pivots and converts all those iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch owners who are still using PCs into Mac owners. The selling proposition is hard to resist. All those apps you have on your iOS device? You can now run them on your Mac and switch seamlessly between devices without missing a beat.

Now there will be other things, mostly to do with cloud computing but the iOS integration is the piece de resistance.

Which brings Apple closer to the future I predicted for them: Your desktop in your pocket. An iPhone running the iOS enclave when you are out and about, but connect it to a large monitor and keyboard and the iPhone becomes a touch pad while MacOS emerges from behind iOS.

You heard it here first. In fact if you have been paying attention, you heard it here a few months ago.
  • Reply 100 of 165
    Yesterday I caught something about steve jobs tweeting about "AppEase" as part of the 2011 Ilife suite...

"iLife '11: Introducing AppEase. Make an app in a snap. 11:05 AM Jul 26th via Twitter for iPhone"

I found that while reading an article on why idvd does not show up for ilife 2011, maybe there is need for someone to work on this application.