Apple seeks engineer for 'revolutionary' new Mac OS X feature

Comments

• Reply 101 of 165
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

try using dropbox sometime, there is no conscious upload, your shared folder contents automatically sync - and it's seamless and very fast. This would be nothing new.

Ideally you want something like this built into the heart of the OS.

I think we have now reached the point where a true "internet" operating system makes sense. One that expects to be connected by a fast connection most of the time and one that expects to be just another portal into your data along side a whole bunch of other devices you own (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, etc). The era of the lone home PC is over. The future is multiple devices all connected online.
  • Reply 102 of 165
    ...just on a lark...The Beatles on iTunes?
  • Reply 103 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Which brings Apple closer to the future I predicted for them: Your desktop in your pocket. An iPhone running the iOS enclave when you are out and about, but connect it to a large monitor and keyboard and the iPhone becomes a touch pad while MacOS emerges from behind iOS.

I really don't think so. This sounds like the old idea of a single CPU and dumb terminals. You forget how cheap and widespread fast CPUs are becoming.

Big companies used to own a single computer. Then we got the computer on every desk. Today each one of us has multiple computers (including desktops, laptops, games consoles, phones, iPads, etc). This is just going to increase.

Instead of using the iPhone to drive the display, just put a CPU in the display and let it access your data via the network.
  • Reply 104 of 165
    Don't know what it's worth in real use, though. But they could do that.
  • Reply 105 of 165
    Quote:

iOS integrated into OSX but as a sandboxed closed/curated 'enclave' inside OSX.

Bingo, sir*.

[Why does everyone feel that they have to copy and misuse every single yuppie-MBA buzzword that someone of importance uses. Before April 2010, no one used "curate" and suddenly it's the buzzword du jour. What do you think "curated" means? Try using plain English and drop the pretentious and incorrect use of currently-popular buzzwords.]

* Dilbert!
  • Reply 106 of 165
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Whatever it is will have a serious connection to cloud computing, despite some folks having qualms about bandwidth. Apple's dropping at least a billion into the North Carolina server farm, and that presupposes plenty of confidence in a robust Internet and bandwidth for streaming, cloud apps and computing, storage, etc. You have to figure that the NC center will have plenty of excess capacity at the outset to accommodate growth in usage. The next OS X will further leverage the Apple ecosystem for those who take advantage of its devices. In the end, it's always about enhancing the user experience. If this works out as Apple expects, don't stop with North Carolina. Look for more centers elsewhere in the country and the world, and who better has the cash to spend. Has it crossed anyone's mind that - big as it is - North Carolina may just be a pilot project along Apple's long term growth map for online offerings?
  • Reply 107 of 165
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Bingo, sir*.

[Why does everyone feel that they have to copy and misuse every single yuppie-MBA buzzword that someone of importance uses. Before April 2010, no one used "curate" and suddenly it's the buzzword du jour. What do you think "curated" means? Try using plain English and drop the pretentious and incorrect use of currently-popular buzzwords.]

* Dilbert!

It's the term that Mr. Jobs himself uses about iTunes and the app store and already has an accepted meaning within the context of this discussion. So your lordship might disapprove of its business school origins but it does what words are supposed to do, which is to refer with much economy of effort to a commonly accepted meaning. Yes, it strays from the original meaning of the term but no one, not even you, gets to decide if that's allowed or not. You don't even know what single word in 'plain' English should be used in its place that exactly captures what 'curated' conveys in this particular context.

Do you think that words have kept their original meaning throughout the generations and all words were not at some point in time coined by someone, somewhere but instead existed since even before the dawn of civilization? Then you are a fool, a hidebound, narrow-minded, mutton-headed dolt of perilously little learning and even less imagination. Words have ever been coined, adopted, adapted, even stolen and misused to label new objects, actions, situations, and contexts. But I'm sure if you squint and think really hard you will realize that you already know that since you are, after all, an expert on the English language.
  • Reply 108 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

Douche

I think you mean iDouche
  • Reply 109 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Wow, you wet through the whole registration process just to make that one incredibly lame comment. Good job.

Good story bro.
  • Reply 110 of 165
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

iOS integration, rapid start, ssd backup drive,

turns on like any appliance

sequestered software, so crashes of total system minimized

no keyboard-laser projected fingers don't touch anything

magic tracpad keyboard

face recognition from the screen, no sign ins.

3d camera support for iChat

eye tracking, face tracking

ota, wireless use of iOS from nearby iphone, ipod touch

HTML5 auto emulation,

chocolate sauce, and M&M's

You know, you do have something there..
  • Reply 111 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I really don't think so. This sounds like the old idea of a single CPU and dumb terminals.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Instead of using the iPhone to drive the display, just put a CPU in the display and let it access your data via the network.

Aren't these two statements somewhat contradictory? What does CPU in the display and access via network mean if not a terminal?
  • Reply 112 of 165
    Quote:

iOS integrated into OSX but as a sandboxed closed/curated 'enclave' inside OSX. So you can run iOS apps in your desktop, and still keep the full flexibility and openness of OSX.

Why the hell would Mr. Jobs have Apple do such a complicated thing? Because this, after laying all the groundwork these past 10 years, is where Apple pivots and converts all those iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch owners who are still using PCs into Mac owners. The selling proposition is hard to resist. All those apps you have on your iOS device? You can now run them on your Mac and switch seamlessly between devices without missing a beat.

Now there will be other things, mostly to do with cloud computing but the iOS integration is the piece de resistance.

Which brings Apple closer to the future I predicted for them: Your desktop in your pocket. An iPhone running the iOS enclave when you are out and about, but connect it to a large monitor and keyboard and the iPhone becomes a touch pad while MacOS emerges from behind iOS.

You heard it here first. In fact if you have been paying attention, you heard it here a few months ago.

Yup you guys on the forum seem to be have the right idea. I'm totally looking forward to something like that. Guess Apple will still have 'copied' the feature(s) for some folks, but we've stopped caring what those people think a long, long time ago.
  • Reply 113 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't think this is right at all.

For starters it makes no sense at all to integrate iOS into Mac OS-X. It's like advocating that all Windows Vista needed was to integrated into a DOS environment. Touch-screen desktop computing makes little sense to begin with, and the fact that you can't pick up your desktop and roll it around to activate the compass, gyroscope or tilt sensors makes the whole thing ridiculous.

Secondly, they don't need to hire some new genius just to do that. It would be fairly straightforward to do the coding, just like running Classic used to be.

Third, the mention of HTML and web technologies makes it sound far more likely this has something to do with the server farm apple is almost finished building. While the common wisdom was that this farm would be used for iTunes streaming, it could also be that they will use it instead to do that "portable home folder" idea that's been floating around for a while.

I think you're a bit off, Prof. First things first, iOS:Mac OS X is NOT DOS:Windows.

Secondly, it doesn't have to be touch screen necessarily. Also, iOS is not about gyros and tilt sensors, those are HW features that belong to the device that the OS supports for applications for that device.

Third, I don't think that it is straightforward. I guess all I can say is that if Apple says a job is tough, it is tough.

Fourth, you're right that web technologies mentioned makes it almost certain that the server farm is involved, but I wouldn't limit my thinking to iTunes. It could be for a few things. The size and cost of the server farm that Apple is building hints at a much larger application than just that. Amazon and Google's server farms are about half that size usually. And they serve their own cloud computing platforms, like mail for hundreds of millions of people.
  • Reply 114 of 165
    mrt77mrt77 Posts: 3member
    I think you get both - on MacBookPro close the screen and BOOM it's iPad with iOS, open the screen it's MacBookPro..alternatively you can touch the screen in OSX as well - magical!
  • Reply 115 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Aren't these two statements somewhat contradictory? What does CPU in the display and access via network mean if not a terminal?

A dumb terminal doesn't have any processing power worth speaking of. It needs to be driven by something else.

But "dumb" devices are being replaced by "smart" devices. We now have smart phones, web enabled TVs, fancy in car systems and the trend is increasing. We really don't need to connect an iPhone to do the processing (as tundraboy was suggesting), when the device has enough CPU power on its own.
  • Reply 116 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrT77 View Post

I think you get both - on MacBookPro close the screen and BOOM it's iPad with iOS, open the screen it's MacBookPro..alternatively you can touch the screen in OSX as well - magical!

Sounds like one of those Windows laptops that turn into a tablet when you close the screen - you know the things that almost no one wanted to buy.
  • Reply 117 of 165
    coordscoords Posts: 7member
    I know what it is... Virtual Steve!
  • Reply 118 of 165
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    I think Apple plants stories like this one so you guys do the brainstorming for them.
  • Reply 119 of 165
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

But, I really think it could be App Store for Mac.

That would certainly explain the data centre. Steam, after all, is able to sell PC games from the cloud, and they are some of the biggest apps there are.
  • Reply 120 of 165
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Exactly what I'm thinking. And this would make audio and video rental/purchase transparent. Buy a movie, it shows up in your iTunes' "Purchased" page, and you can watch it. Objects like movie and music files could be remote-only. No need to download a copy to your local disk, which would take up space even though it might only be rarely watched, then have it get backed up by Time Machine, and be forced to copy it to a new Mac when you upgrade. It's still your copy, but you watch it through the cloud.

Cloud storage, as everyone keeps saying, would also reduce storage requirements on your local device, whether it's a desktop, laptop, or handheld. This brings down cost and complexity over time. And 10 years from now, Apple's profit center might need to shift from hardware to software and services (and yes, iAd). Hardware costs and margins are relentlessly dropping. It's the nature of the industry. By setting up a cloud-centric OS and device ecosystem, Apple is preparing itself for that future.

That certainly makes sense as a big part of Apple's base is iPads and iPhones now.