Android leader Motorola still well behind Apple's iPhone

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualia View Post

There were other companies that tried to compete with iTunes (Napster, Rhapsody, etc.) and they all failed. Even so, it proves that Apple's ways aren't always destined for failure (and Apple's actual success with the Mac that the Android fanboys ignore proves that it wasn't a failure then either).

It's been two years since the App Store debuted and it wasn't long after it debuted that people saw it as a huge success; if that's a long time, then Android has been around for a long time as well. Considering that Android's supposedly outselling the iPhone and might even have a greater marketshare now, how much more visibility do they need? If tons of ads and higher marketshare isn't giving Android visibility, then I see no hope for the platform. Personally, I think it's that Android phones are merely seen as phones people bought either because of a BOGO deal, because they're kind of like iPhones, or because a salesperson was able to convince them to buy it. Meanwhile, everybody who has an iPhone went to the Apple Store or AT&T specifically to buy one.

Rhapsody was a 14.99 a month subscription service that allowed you to stream content, not purchase it. And neither one of them was an mp3player/media store combo. The only ones that really tried this was the microsoft Zune experiment. The reason itunes took off was because of the ipod, and the reason the ipod took off was because of itunes. That synergy was the genius. Either product, sold seperately, wouldn't be anywhere near the success (even if it was as "perfect")

And I'm NOT talking about just the app store. If the app store was a cold start (apple didn't have itunes before it) and ONLY offered apps/games it would be a shadow of what it is today. Would it still be successful? most likely, but the reason it got so strong so fast is because it was integrated into the already established itunes ecosystem. So no, it wasn't only two years. It was a LOT longer than that.

Visibility in the marketplace, the ease of finding apps you like without knowing exactly what they're called. Currently the android market is very cluttered. Apps like appbrain make it nicer, but they still have awhile to go.

And your personal feelings might be accurate for some of the people who bought it, but nowhere close to all. BoGo is a verizon thing, something they do with ALL their phones (the blackberries were bogo smartphones for over a year before the droid came out). when it went bogo it helped sales for ONE carrier. But that is a single carrier in a single country in the world. It's NOT the reason android is big now.

You can't write off android sales as just bogo purchases/people settling to stay on their network. To say that is to be ignorant of what's really going on. You enjoy the iphone, and that's great. But don't write off everyone else as just "settling" or being "cheap."
  • Reply 102 of 107
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I dunno, your on a Pro-Apple site?

I'm sure there's an "Android Insider" somewhere that you will find your rapturous applause at. Have at it if that floats your boat.

But most "android insider" websites don't post trash like this in some petty need to justify their platform to the choir (readers)

Check out android central. Sure, they mentioned the whole antenna issue, but only when it directly related to something android.

Seriously, this is APPLE INSIDER. Why are they trying so hard to defend apple against android and other platforms when well over 90% of their readers are apple users?
  • Reply 103 of 107
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Why? I certainly don't hold any ill-will towards Motorola but their success with Android means nothing to me.

Wasn't that the point. This is an Apple website for Apple news. Most of us who come here have Apple products. Stories about Motorola's success or otherwise should mean nothing to us. However, Daniel Eran Dilger seems to write as many non-Apple stories as he write Apple stories.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:

Here's the real rub that must just cause people like yourself to just seethe internally - for all your baseless accusations, innuendo and downright ridicule Apple Keeps Growing.

People like myself? Apple owner and user since '90? Somebody who has earned a decent living with Apple products for more than two decades?

If anything might make me "seethe", as you put it, it would be the deliberately blinkered viewpoint of the Apple Faithful? who live in a world of hatred for anything that directly competes with Apple.

Whose irrational knee-jerk reflex is to fantasize conspiracies against an enormously successful multinational enterprise that they believe they 'love'.

Who feel the need to project onto anybody presenting a balancing opinion on this site such attributes as 'Apple-hater', and 'Fandroid', even though they are neither.

People like yourself, in fact.

Yet you don't cause me to seethe. I find myself sighing deeply at times, and shaking my head in disbelief at how poorly you defend your "love" Apple, in descending into insult, and sarcasm.

Quote:

Bottom line - Apples continual success speaks far more than any "convoluted gymnastics". You can scoff all you want - just have fun being continually wrong.

I'm not scoffing at Apple's success. I think Apple has done some quite literally amazing things since its inception, and I will go on record as saying that I believe the company will still be successful in a decade's time.

What puzzles me is what I have ever said on this forum that is "wrong", let alone continually. You might not like what I have to say, but holding a different stance than you do, assuming even that to be true, doesn't make me wrong unless you believe you're omnipotent?

If you have evidence that the numbers I quoted earlier in this thread are incorrect, then by all means, quote and link that evidence. And if they prove my figures wrong, I'll happily admit it. Right here in this thread.

If you'd like me to supply a link to my source for those stats I provided, I'm happy to do so. But so far, tellingly perhaps, nobody has asked. Your call.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Convoluted gymnastics?

Let's make it simple.

Apple makes more money selling phones than almost all the other phone manufacturers combined.

Apple makes more money selling computers than almost all the other computer makers combined.

Apple is the most valuable tech company on earth because of this.

Google don't make anything from Android, their sales are zero as they give it away.

Google makes money by collecting information about it's products users and selling that information to advertisers.

Apple is cutting them out of that market with iAd.

Microsoft is cutting them out of that market with Bing and no doubt will have their own Ad based revenue services on Windows Mobile 7.

The biggest loser from Androids expansion is Nokia who continue to lose market share out of the hundreds of millions of handsets they sell every quarter, raw numbers that make the ten or so million we are talking about here fade into insignificance..

Easy peasy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Apparently it's not as easy as you make out, given the convoluted gymnastics your fellow Apple Faithful? are having to go through in trying to make Apple look good. Maybe if they stuck to arguing Apple's case on its merits instead of spending their waking hours dreaming up desperate attacks on those criticising, they might look remotely credible?

A long shot, but I live in hope.

• Reply 106 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google makes money by collecting information about it's products users and selling that information to advertisers.

Google's Mobile Search Market Share: 98.29%

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...ket_share_9829

"Cutting them out of that market"?

Good luck with that.
  • Reply 107 of 107
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Convoluted gymnastics?

Let's make it simple.

Apple makes more money selling phones than almost all the other phone manufacturers combined.

Apple makes more money selling computers than almost all the other computer makers combined.

Apple is the most valuable tech company on earth because of this.

Google don't make anything from Android, their sales are zero as they give it away.

Microsoft is cutting them out of that market with Bing and no doubt will have their own Ad based revenue services on Windows Mobile 7.

The biggest loser from Androids expansion is Nokia who continue to lose market share out of the hundreds of millions of handsets they sell every quarter, raw numbers that make the ten or so million we are talking about here fade into insignificance..

Easy peasy.

Besides some rather dodgy claims in there, you provide some interesting Apple-related factoids, most of which unfortunately have little or nothing to do with anything I've written in this thread. So I'm not sure how exactly your post refutes my comments if that's what was intended.

Rather, I think it adds weight to my point that when the debate isn't going the Apple way, instinct appears to make the Apple Faithful? throw in unrelated points in order to claim a victory, rather than (heaven forbid) just concede that maybe there really is a groundswell at present that favours Android.

I'm not claiming it'll last, nor am I claiming that any specific handset brand will ever overtake Apple. It might conceivably change in the future, but I personally doubt it, if for no other reason than the Android market is highly competitive now and will only attract more entrants in the future - so more slices of pie inevitably means smaller portions.

That being said, it will depend on the actual size of the pie, and right now smartphone sales are going gangbusters. So who can say?