Hackers release browser-based 'jailbreak' for iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddy View Post

help me please my i just jailbreaked my iphone and it wouldnt turn on or connect to itunes

dfu restore -

mark yourself as a nonjailbreaker. Never try again.

continue standard apple approved iphone experience-

it is still better than an android!

• Reply 122 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddy View Post

help me please my i just jailbreaked my iphone and it wouldnt turn on or connect to itunes

Just plug it into your computer and have iTunes open and hold the home button, and it should let you restore. If that doesn't work, use the following link bellow.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

Also, next time don't exit out of safari while it's doing it's thing, I'm assuming thats what happened to you as it would seem something interrupted the jailbreak process for you.
  • Reply 123 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

There you go .

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

thank you so much ur the best
  • Reply 124 of 178
    I just jailbreak my iphone 4 with 4.01. I'm trying to change my root password. I cannot open mobile terminal. It keeps closing. Any solutions?
  • Reply 125 of 178
    There is an updated mobile terminal online that hasn't been added to cydia yet, but you don't need to worry if you haven'y installed open SSH. If you're on a Mac you can change it by plugging your iPhone into the computer and doing it through terminal on the Mac.
  • Reply 126 of 178
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Whata great idea! Then Apple could charge companies to be on their list of approved websites! Wow what a money making idea. If companies did not want to pay to be on the approved list then Apple would ban every Apple device from being able to get to their website!!!! Awesome!! Whata great little tightly controlled world Apple would have! they could call it the Apple Internet! or AI if you will..... man talk about a controlled user experience!

And what do you think banning Flash was about?
  • Reply 127 of 178
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

And what do you think banning Flash was about?

I don't know....you tell me...and explain the whole Blu-Ray thing too while your at it.....
  • Reply 128 of 178
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I don't know....you tell me...and explain the whole Blu-Ray thing too while your at it.....

He moves in mysterious ways...
  • Reply 129 of 178
    Thanks! Worked great.
  • Reply 130 of 178
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

He moves in mysterious ways...

lol....someone ought to write a song.......
  • Reply 131 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

There is an updated mobile terminal online that hasn't been added to cydia yet, but you don't need to worry if you haven'y installed open SSH. If you're on a Mac you can change it by plugging your iPhone into the computer and doing it through terminal on the Mac.

Thanks, worked great!
  • Reply 132 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

I need a shoe-I certainly know more than you in this subject matter and probably astrophysics (as that is my major)-You may know some things I don't. Perhaps I would take a class if needed. But as far as this goes-not to fight but YOU just don't get it.

Bricking is sooo loosely used and so outrageously rare that you obviously are a part of the problem-

Perhaps you have a learning disability. All of this is getting boring as the IQs from posts drop like rain.

Dude, this is just gibberish. I don't think you know what the term "bricking" even means.

As for IQ's and qualifications, you're the one that started acting like some kind of "know-it-all" and lording yourself above everyone else, but for the record I'm thinking if I tore up a few diplomas and a degree, I might get down to your level.
  • Reply 133 of 178
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Who cares about whether you think it's fair or not?

AT&T gives you a contract. You agree to the contract. The contract does not allow tethering.

You have 2 choices:

1. Choose a different carrier (and phone).

2. Obtain an iPhone with AT&T contract under false pretenses and violate the contract.

Sorry, but #2 is completely unethical and tantamount to theft. You're taking a service you didn't pay for.

They'll go to Apple, of course. And then they'll write their impassioned pleas in their silly little blogs that the iPhone is junk.

That looks like a serious problem. Safari shouldn't have access to root. I'm sure it will be addressed, so enjoy your jailbreaking now.

If phone companies want you to tether, why don't they allow it? Seems to me that AT&T knows what it wants more than you do?

Is it fair? Who knows? But you signed a contract with AT&T saying that you could not tether. If you don't like it, get your phone service from someone else. It's not like AT&T is the only phone company on the planet.

Really? No one ever bricked a phone by jailbreaking it? No one opened their phone up to malware by jailbreaking?

And no one ever took a jailbroken phone to an Apple Store to ask for help - causing Apple to spend time and money on it?

Apple reported that the cost of jailbreaking is significant. They shouldn't have to deal with that. The rest of us shouldn't have to deal with crap like the reports of malware on the iPhone - malware that only got there by jailbreaking the phone. It makes the iPhone look insecure.

Wow.. too much time on hands!

Just like not buying a flawed iPhone 4 is a choice available to you, not jailbreaking is a choice available to you.
  • Reply 134 of 178
    Quote:

I need a shoe-I certainly know more than you in this subject matter and probably astrophysics (as that is my major)-You may know some things I don't. Perhaps I would take a class if needed. But as far as this goes-not to fight but YOU just don't get it.

Bricking is sooo loosely used and so outrageously rare that you obviously are a part of the problem-

Perhaps you have a learning disability. All of this is getting boring as the IQs from posts drop like rain.

:-) Couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 135 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Apple does not engage in BS or propoganda or lies. Never has, never will.

Jailbreakers crash cell towers. Apple told that to the US government. In my opinion, jailbreakers should be treated as potential terrorists.

Wow.. what news paper/site/channel do you follow? I wish to avoid it!
  • Reply 136 of 178
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    That problem with the jailbreak (breaking MMS and FaceTime in iOS 4) has apparently been fixed.

I've been an iPhone user since a week after the first one released... upgraded to the 3GS last November. I never had a reason to jailbreak or unlock the phone. But I'm awfully glad you can!

I recently relocated to Ukraine for a couple of years. Apparently you can't unlock without jailbreaking the phone first, so I'm doing both... it sux that I have to lose my warranty to have a functional phone though.

Especially since, across the border in Poland, iPhones are sold officially unlocked. You'd think that Apple should allow a formal unlock if you are moving abroad... I terminated my AT&T service, paid the early termination fee, etc. I should be "allowed" to use my phone elsewhere....

The next handset I buy (presumably iPhone 4) will be from Poland, officially unlocked... I'm never buying another AT&T locked phone again. Even if I'm back in the states. I'm buying my phones abroad... people like me who travel for work should never be locked into AT&T's atrocious "international roaming fees"....

I'm done rambling.... :P
  • Reply 137 of 178
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Some valid points but Apple will never cover all the wonderful aspects of a jailbreak as developers continue to amaze with new ideas and we users have new amazing (not all are amazing though) ideas. However-stealing apps is not as widespread in the US as Apple and disinformers would have you believe.

I'm curious where you got your figures. Why should anyone believe your statement that you obviously just made up?

And if you're a developer relying on app sales for your income, if even 10% of your apps are stolen, that's significant. If your salary were reduced by 10%, would you say it's OK because you don't need the money, anyway?
  • Reply 138 of 178
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

Safari is much too safe for anything like that. It has excellent security.

You're joking right?
  • Reply 139 of 178
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

Don't worry. Apple would never void your warrenty just because you visited a certain website.

But that brings up an interesting point. Why doesn't Apple limit the websites people are allowed to visit? That way, we wouldn't be taking these kinds of risks. We could know that if we visit a website that Apple coded into our iPhone as "allowed", we would be better off knowing it would not harm our device.

Judging by your previous posts I think you're actually serious about this. Dude, you are scary.
  • Reply 140 of 178
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yep. It?s one thing to access your system with a direct connect hack, but to access it via a website means that Safari and iOS has a major hole.

Yup, that's the major take away for me. Ack!

However, I may use it on my 3Gs to get tethering. Sweat!