Android tops BlackBerry, iPhone grows in US smartphone OS share

Comments

• Reply 41 of 273
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Sometimes a simple congratulations is sufficient. Good job Android, RIM, and Apple.

All three are healthy and vibrant, what's there to argue about?
  • Reply 42 of 273
    bcs123bcs123 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Sometimes a simple congratulations is sufficient. Good job Android, RIM, and Apple.

All three are healthy and vibrant, what's there to argue about?

Congratulations indeed! We have seen the smartphone market surge forward with some great phones and operating systems in the last few years. I am still unsure why people are so anti-iPhone, anti-Android or whatever. It's a personal preference thing, right? They all have their ups and downs, and we are blessed to have so many great choices. I chose the iPhone, think its absolutely wonderful. But I am sure there are things Android does better, just as I know there are some things iOS does better.

Tone it down a notch people. I like the rational thought on here, not the 'clinging to your own OS's superiority at any cost' mentality.
  • Reply 43 of 273
    I wanted an iPhone the second I saw (years ago) it but I have a Sprint family account that I can't get out of as did most of the people I knew. Yeah, a lot of people would prefer an iPhone and I understand why--I'm a designer and understand how aesthetics promotes a well designed UI and iPhone still has a better designed UI. As apposed to BB who's UI are terrible. And Android's is non existent. My Evo has Sense which is just ugly.

But now with 2.2 on these faster phones, I have to say that my yearning for iPhone is over. Sprint has two more Android phones coming, US Cellular, Verizon and to make matters worse, AT&T!! Now that's a slap in the face. I will never understand why Apple plays hardball like this. They shot themselves in the foot by only staying loyal to AT&T. that used to irritate me soooo much because I wanted an iPhone.

So now, I only know one iPhone user (who's dumping it for a Droid X next week). My kids have Android phones because Sprint let us have them for $50 each and gave us the same unlimited user plan. Two other family members are getting Galaxy Ss and another is getting a DELL Streak... How can Apple compete with this?

People have to start taking open source development more seriously. I always have.
  • Reply 44 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Actually, ...

... "Droid" is a short-form slang term for an "Android" and was coined at least 70 years ago by what were then called "scientifiction" writers.

An "Android" was a humanoid shaped simulation which replicates the functions of the human body and was (originally) depicted as being of organic construction as opposed to a mechanical or elecro-mechanical one. However, within ten years or so the term was co-opted and became synonymous with the concept of a humanoid-shaped mechanical or robotic device.

In other words, Android, Robot, and Automaton all used to have separate distinct meanings, but we basically just call them all "robots" now. This is primarily because "robot" was the more popular term, (even though the original definition of "robot" required that the machine be intelligent), but also because no one could quite conceive of how to build an Android that wasn't basically an automaton anyway.

Thus "automatons" became "robots," and Androids became just another kind of robot. Interestingly, no one has yet figured out how to make Robots and Androids that conform to the original science fiction descriptions in the 30's 40's and 50's. In fact we aren't even close yet.

*yawn*
  • Reply 45 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by semperlux View Post

I wanted an iPhone the second I saw (years ago) it but I have a Sprint family account that I can't get out of as did most of the people I knew. Yeah, a lot of people would prefer an iPhone and I understand why--I'm a designer and understand how aesthetics promotes a well designed UI and iPhone still has a better designed UI. As apposed to BB who's UI are terrible. And Android's is non existent. My Evo has Sense which is just ugly.

But now with 2.2 on these faster phones, I have to say that my yearning for iPhone is over. Sprint has two more Android phones coming, US Cellular, Verizon and to make matters worse, AT&T!! Now that's a slap in the face. I will never understand why Apple plays hardball like this. They shot themselves in the foot by only staying loyal to AT&T. that used to irritate me soooo much because I wanted an iPhone.

So now, I only know one iPhone user (who's dumping it for a Droid X next week). My kids have Android phones because Sprint let us have them for $50 each and gave us the same unlimited user plan. Two other family members are getting Galaxy Ss and another is getting a DELL Streak... How can Apple compete with this?

People have to start taking open source development more seriously. I always have.

That's interesting, because I don't know many people at all who don't have an iPhone. I think Apple will compete just fine with all the options out there. There's a lot of computer manufactures, not so many OS's, but Apple has managed to excel in that space. Sure, there are lots of good competitors, but Apple has a great phone and will continue to innovate and sell.
  • Reply 46 of 273
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

Congratulations indeed! We have seen the smartphone market surge forward with some great phones and operating systems in the last few years. I am still unsure why people are so anti-iPhone, anti-Android or whatever. It's a personal preference thing, right? They all have their ups and downs, and we are blessed to have so many great choices. I chose the iPhone, think its absolutely wonderful. But I am sure there are things Android does better, just as I know there are some things iOS does better.

Tone it down a notch people. I like the rational thought on here, not the 'clinging to your own OS's superiority at any cost' mentality.

Agreed. You have to give credit to Apple for revolutionizing the smartphone world or we'd all be stuck with WinMo bricks and BBs. Apple was the distruptive technology when the iPhone first came out, but now it seems it's Android's turn. Who knows what future OS will come around and blow both out of the water. Just remember that Android was pretty much a Linux baby experiment when it first came out and look where it's at today.

Competition creates more innovation and development and most importantly, choice. You're happy with iOS, I'm happy with Android. The result is two happy people with devices that, at the end of the day, can communicate with each other. Where's the downside in that?
  • Reply 47 of 273
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In fact, everyone who loves their Android phone should be thanking Apple for entering the market or they?d be stuck using something like this right now.
    LOL

Blackberry's not that bad. I just don't like copycats.
  • Reply 48 of 273
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In fact, everyone who loves their Android phone should be thanking Apple for entering the market or they?d be stuck using something like this right now. LOL

I am also glad Apple entered the GUI PC business 25 years ago. But they got their asses handed to them by Microsoft in the 1990s. The question is: is Apple going to accept 5-10% of smart phone sales but with a huge chunk of the profits, or should they (and will they) adopt a different model to try to dominate the market? I don't think Steve Jobs is happy with they way things turned out in the PC business, even though Apple is far more profitable than Dell and HP. How that past history will affect the future of the iPhone will be interesting to watch.
  • Reply 49 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Where's the downside in that?

I've got nothing...
  • Reply 50 of 273
    Apple's primary problem is they can't produce enough. They're selling everything they can produce. That distorts the numbers.

That said, I find comparisons of market shares to be fairly useless from just about any relevancy point of view, whether it's profits, market value, apps, user experience, etc.

I hope Android prospers as a platform. That will be a good thing for consumers. One writing on the wall is, however, increasingly clear: RIM had better reinvent itself yesterday, or they're headed south fast, a la Nokia.
  • Reply 51 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I don't think Steve Jobs is happy with they way things turned out in the PC business, even though Apple is far more profitable than Dell and HP. .

iPhone

iPad

iTunes

Pixar

iMac

MacBooks

OSX

iOS

Sh*t, I bet Steve is pretty freaking happy right about now.
  • Reply 52 of 273
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by semperlux View Post

Agreed, and my experience is very similar.

Yesterday morning I OTAd my DROID to Android Froyo/2.2 and asked the spouse to use it for the day instead of the usual iPhone4 just to see what the reaction would be.

All I heard this morning was, 'Wow, this phone is really fast'... 'can I customize my home screen to do what Launcher Pro Plus does?' ... "I noticed that you have a choice of MMS, music players, and other programs, is there anyway for me to change the ones on my iPhone?"... and on and on... though sadly the answer to all questions was, "No, Apple doesn't ' allow that kind of thing with their core apps".

Personally, That's what I (and many others) like most about Android-based smartphones... C H O I C E

Android is infinitely customizable in almost every way, designed to function/look the way most beneficial to the user, not just an appliance that forces the user to accept what has been given to them.
  • Reply 53 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

As a consumer, why would that be important to me?. Actually, why would either question be important to me?. As a consumer, the only important question is if i want to buy your product. As a shareholder, which company makes the most profit is important. As a developer, which company has the most market share is most important.

+1 Insightful

And thus the developer migration continues....
  • Reply 54 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Agreed, and my experience is very similar.

Yesterday morning I OTAd my DROID to Android Froyo/2.2 and asked the spouse to use it for the day instead of the usual iPhone4 just to see what the reaction would be.

All I heard this morning was, 'Wow, this phone is really fast'... 'can I customize my home screen to do what Launcher Pro Plus does?' ... "I noticed that you have a choice of MMS, music players, and other programs, is there anyway for me to change the ones on my iPhone?"... and on and on... though sadly the answer to all questions was, "No, Apple doesn't ' allow that kind of thing with their core apps".

Personally, That's what I (and many others) like most about Android-based smartphones... C H O I C E

Android is infinitely customizable in almost every way, designed to function/look the way most beneficial to the user, not just an appliance that forces the user to accept what has been given to them.

My point exactly. We need a choice of os. I have no need for all the 'freedom' android provides. I think the integration of hardware and software in ios is far preferable. But it's just that, preference. I don't think either one needs to move to be more like the other. Both have big fans that love what they do.
  • Reply 55 of 273
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    With the "PC business." When his team released the Mac in 1984, he was not imagining less than 5% of worldwide sales or even 10% of US sales. The reason he is "freaking happy" now is that Apple has innovated way beyond the traditional PC space. But he is making up for some absolutely atrocious business decisions made in his absence.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

iPhone

iPad

iTunes

Pixar

iMac

MacBooks

OSX

iOS

Sh*t, I bet Steve is pretty freaking happy right about now.

• Reply 56 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

+1 Insightful

And thus the developer migration continues....

What developer migration?
  • Reply 57 of 273
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    A good thread peeps. Congrats to all for the reason demonstrated and lack of irrational rhetoric on all sides.

Let there be many more threads like this one.

Chopper.
  • Reply 58 of 273
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This.

Apple has already screwed up by playing hardball with Verizon. If the iPhone had been on Verizon, then you wouldn't see Verizon pouring all this money and marketing into Droids.

The fact is that Verizon is pushing these phones extremely heavily. Not just through tons of marketing, but also with their BOGO schemes. More importantly, its giving enough sales to manufacturers like HTC and Motorola to justify their involvement in Android.

This is not the end of Apple. If the iPhone hits Verizon (or Sprint + TMobile, which will be a similar additional marketshare) within the next year, they can still choke off Android. However, Apple is really letting go of many opportunities here.

With all due respect, the world is bigger than the US. Apple sells many iPhones and iOS devices around the world. Their "oversea" revenues are starting to rival "domestic" revenues. Whether/when Apple expands to a second US carrier is insignificant compared to when/whether Apple expands to more carriers in China.

Look at Nokia - their US market penetration is tiny but they remain the largest handset company in the world and has the greatest sales volume in almost every category.

All to say, if you want Apple to rule, think China and India.
  • Reply 59 of 273
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

With the "PC business." When his team released the Mac in 1984, he was not imagining less than 5% of worldwide sales or even 10% of US sales. The reason he is "freaking happy" now is that Apple has innovated way beyond the traditional PC space. But he is making up for some absolutely atrocious business decisions made in his absence.

Don't know about that. Imagine if Apple did not falter, would they have the "starter company" chip on their shoulder right now? The near-death experience might have been the best thing that ever happened to Apple.
  • Reply 60 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bcs123 View Post

What developer migration?

He agrees that market share is the most important. But isn't the install base of iOS over 100 million?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.