Software fix coming for iOS vulnerabilities

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I also have the pixel issue, but I assumed it was a way of hiding code in the bootup image that causes it.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Not me. I am staying jailbroken, and for only ONE reason...tethering. AT&T's tethering "feature" is unacceptable. I could live with either:

1. $10 a month with unlimited, OR

2. FREE with a 2GB cap

As it stands, I will use tethering for free due to this pricing nonsense.

Yes, we know. There are people who will steal what they want if they think the price is too high.

Most criminals are smart enough not to advertise it, though.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

I also have the pixel issue, but I assumed it was a way of hiding code in the bootup image that causes it.

Correct! They are storing the jailbreak code in the frame buffer so it shows up as a bunch of colored pixels on the boot screen. There is nothing wrong with your phone and no harm is down by using those pixels.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or just not go to the site set up to jailbreak your phone?

Or, having gone to that site, don't tell the site that it's OK to jailbreak your phone?

What are you talking about? The poster was talking about his phone not working with his car stereo after he upgraded to iOS 4 - and wants Apple to fix that issue. He said nothing about using a jailbreak on his phone. Someone then responded that moving back to 3.x might restore his ability to use his phone with his car stereo. Again, nothing to do with a jailbreak.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

why don't you tell that to the 4.5 Million Android losers who got infected by a Spyware-Wallpaper app?

Jeez, it is really pathetic that you continue to repeat this deceptive and debunked lie, that wallpaper app you mention isn't a "spyware", so check the facts and stop being a tool spreading ignorant FUD. Kthxbye.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What about the proximity sensor?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

why don't you tell that to the 4.5 Million Android losers who got infected by a Spyware-Wallpaper app?

Fact check:

Quote:

Lookout Clarifies Accusations Against ?Suspicious? Wallpaper App

Now at first glance, the story came off a little scary and was quickly picked up by over a dozen major news outlets, all jumping on the ?Android has no control? bandwagon. And then today happened.

AndroidTapp and Android Central contacted the developer of the app in question, finding out that the report is apparently, complete BS. In fact, they have thrown together a step-by-step visual guide plus an interview explaining the absurdity of the claims made by Lookout who has now clarified their claims after their initial stance was called into question.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/30...wallpaper-app/

See also the only publication that bothered to interview the developer, which includes links to Lookout's backpedaling from their original claims:

Android Wallpaper Apps Falsely Accused of Spyware and Stealing Sensitive User Data [FUD]

http://www.androidtapp.com/android-w...user-data-fud/
  • Reply 28 of 30
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    This is how Apple never wins. Currently their OS is in secure, once it's plugged though, Apple will be seen as anti-open, because it blocked a method to jailbreak the phone.

• Reply 29 of 30
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

This is how Apple never wins. Currently their OS is in secure, once it's plugged though, Apple will be seen as anti-open, because it blocked a method to jailbreak the phone.

It will always be like that. Remember, the act of jailbreaking itself is essentially finding a security flaw within the device, and exploiting it to inject code into the OS to cause it to do things its not intended to do. That's *exactly* how malware works on any other platform.

Now, I'm not saying jailbreaking is the equivalent of malware. Hell, my 3GS is jailbroken right now. But yes, every jailbreak exploit is a security exploit, and its Apple's job to fix their OS to make their customers safe. If the good guys can jailbreak, the bad guys can do whatever they want.