Software fix coming for iOS vulnerabilities

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple confirmed Wednesday that it has developed a fix for the two security vulnerabilities that allow jailbreaking of their iOS software.



An Apple spokeswoman said in a statement, "We're aware of this reported issue, we have already developed a fix and it will be available to customers in an upcoming software update." No release date was given for the update.



Previously, Apple had announced it was "investigating" the issue.



iPhone Dev Team hacker "comex" was the first to exploit the security flaws, allowing users to jailbreak their iOS devices. Early users of the browser-based jailbreak exploit reported problems with FaceTime and MMS services, but the issues were quickly addressed by the iPhone Dev Team.



The vulnerabilities have attracted significant attention this week. Several security firms have issued notices labeling the vulnerabilities "critical." A German government agency warned users Wednesday to avoid opening PDF files on their devices until a software fix is released.



This isn't the first time the German government has expressed concern over security on the iPhone 4 and iOS. In June, a German official asked for clarification on Apple's use of personal data collected from German iPhone 4 users, as reported by The New York Times. Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger, the justice minister for Germany, requested information from Apple outlining the kind of data collected and the reason for its collection.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,182member
    Saw that coming. How many potential jailbreaker's are going to update though (until 4.1 iff it has compelling reasons)?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    How about posting a fix for breaking the car stereo integration???



    My 3GS worked flawlessly with my car stereo until iOS 4 upgrade...tried every possible forum thread fix that has been suggested...NOTHING works. Opened a BugDev report and sent in logs so hopefully they fix it but it has been taking forever. Until then, I just use other audio in my vehicle that is non-Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post


    How about posting a fix for breaking the car stereo integration???



    My 3GS worked flawlessly with my car stereo until iOS 4 upgrade...tried every possible forum thread fix that has been suggested...NOTHING works. Opened a BugDev report and sent in logs so hopefully they fix it but it has been taking forever. Until then, I just use other audio in my vehicle that is non-Apple.



    what about downgrading to 3.x
  • Reply 4 of 30
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    what about downgrading to 3.x





    Yep, let's go backwards so things work...
  • Reply 5 of 30
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post


    what about downgrading to 3.x



    Or just not go to the site set up to jailbreak your phone?



    Or, having gone to that site, don't tell the site that it's OK to jailbreak your phone?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    One fix at a time Apple.... One... Fix... At... A... Time
  • Reply 7 of 30
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ... A German government agency warned users Wednesday to avoid opening PDF files on their devices until a software fix is released.



    This isn't the first time the German government has expressed concern over security on the iPhone 4 and iOS. In June, a German official asked for clarification on Apple's use of personal data collected from German iPhone 4 users, as reported by The New York Times. Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger, the justice minister for Germany, requested information from Apple outlining the kind of data collected and the reason for its collection.



    So... Germans are haters?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 797member
    HAVE NO FEAR!

    When APPLE is finished with its security fix, your iphone will be safer than before. APPLE wants their software to be more secure than we do.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    One fix at a time Apple.... One... Fix... At... A... Time





    why don't you tell that to the 4.5 Million Android losers who got infected by a Spyware-Wallpaper app?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    Saw that coming. How many potential jailbreaker's are going to update though (until 4.1 iff it has compelling reasons)?



    Not me. I am staying jailbroken, and for only ONE reason...tethering. AT&T's tethering "feature" is unacceptable. I could live with either:



    1. $10 a month with unlimited, OR

    2. FREE with a 2GB cap



    As it stands, I will use tethering for free due to this pricing nonsense.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    They really need to get around to fixing the proximity sensor. I can't make a call without it hanging up, muting me, or trying to start facetime. You would think this would be a bigger story, but I guess not since it's been easier just to bash the antenna design.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    Not me. I am staying jailbroken, and for only ONE reason...tethering. AT&T's tethering "feature" is unacceptable. I could live with either:



    1. $10 a month with unlimited, OR

    2. FREE with a 2GB cap



    As it stands, I will use tethering for free due to this pricing nonsense.



    Did you ever get a chance to download Handy Light from the app store?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Does this affect OSX too? I would believe if iOS is vulnerable then so is OSX.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post


    Does this affect OSX too? I would believe if iOS is vulnerable then so is OSX.



    I believe it's been patched already and included in the most recent security update.



    But I could be wrong...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post


    I believe it's been patched already and included in the most recent security update.



    But I could be wrong...



    You are not wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post


    How about posting a fix for breaking the car stereo integration???



    My 3GS worked flawlessly with my car stereo until iOS 4 upgrade...tried every possible forum thread fix that has been suggested...NOTHING works. Opened a BugDev report and sent in logs so hopefully they fix it but it has been taking forever. Until then, I just use other audio in my vehicle that is non-Apple.



    What kind of car stereo hookup are you talking about? I assume you're not talking about a cassette adapter that is plugged into your headphone jack on your iPhone, right? I don't see how that could get screwed up, because then your iPod function wouldn't work, and people would be freaking out if that were the case.



    Also, has anyone experienced some pixel issues toward the top of the screen after jailbreaking, either on the bootup screen or on the main screen? If so, does it last or does it happen only after the first time you boot up right after jailbreaking it? I don't want mess up my good looking screen just to upgrade to iOS 4.



    3GS

    FW 4.26.08

    3.0.1
  • Reply 17 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,645member
    The tone of this article seemed to question Apples intentions with respect to a fix. It is almost like people think that Apple wasn't about to bother. It is a significant security hole of course Apple will plug it someday.





    Dave
  • Reply 18 of 30
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,553member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    Saw that coming. How many potential jailbreaker's are going to update though (until 4.1 iff it has compelling reasons)?



    They'll just wait until 4.1 is jailbroken like they always do -- it's only a matter of time.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    Saw that coming. How many potential jailbreaker's are going to update though (until 4.1 iff it has compelling reasons)?



    4.0.1 is super stable while jailbroken. Having been jailbreaking devices for 4 years, I can say I'm very impressed with the iPhone 4/jailbroken.



    Finally, Apple has put out iPhone hardware/software that is powerful enough to handle both its own function, and little extra via jailbreak, and see no hit to performance whatsoever. Gross amounts of free memory, without any problem, no slow animations, everything stable, clean, functional.



    In short, I won't be updating my phone til at least 4.2, and only after another equally smooth jailbreak is released.



    It's really a shame that this is truthfully such a potentially dangerous hole, because its the smoothest jailbreak i've ever seen, and its really working well. I don't know for certain if the method of jailbreak has anything to do with how well it has been performing, but hopefully they are unrelated, as it seems this method might be short lived if patched with 4.1
  • Reply 20 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LABachlr View Post


    What kind of car stereo hookup are you talking about? I assume you're not talking about a cassette adapter that is plugged into your headphone jack on your iPhone, right? I don't see how that could get screwed up, because then your iPod function wouldn't work, and people would be freaking out if that were the case.



    Also, has anyone experienced some pixel issues toward the top of the screen after jailbreaking, either on the bootup screen or on the main screen? If so, does it last or does it happen only after the first time you boot up right after jailbreaking it? I don't want mess up my good looking screen just to upgrade to iOS 4.



    3GS

    FW 4.26.08

    3.0.1



    Yes, I've seen that pixel issue on my iPhone 4, but its only on the Apple logo screen, so i think its just a graphic, not a defect. Try putting a solid black image in your photo library and you'll see its not the screen. I think the devs may have done that intentionally to denote a jailbroken device, but forgot to pull it before it went up.
Sign In or Register to comment.