iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple

1356711

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


    Hey clueless "screamingfist" - before you make a post that really really makes you look so stupid you should check the facts. First, only a handful of people complained. In fact, the OVERWHELMING majority of iPhone4 users say that they get much better reception and fewer dropped calls. The solution is actually quite simple - don't touch an area that is 1/16th of an inch in the lower left corner of the phone. 1/16th!!!!! How hard is that? This is something that was totally blown out of proportion by the media frenzy. As for Apple doing testing, I suggest you check out Apple's website where they show off their $100 million + testing facility. Now grow up, and go troll somewhere else.



    hey dummy,

    so few complained that Jobs had to give a pep talk regarding the matter?

    wise up.
  • Reply 42 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    one hell of a coincidence that [HP’s CEO was just let go, and separately] so many people had [overblown the] problem with the antenae that jobs gave a show about it [to difuse the hysteria, not really] amazing.



    There, fixed that for you.
  • Reply 43 of 209
    oxygenhose - your comments reflect exactly why America lost so much respect internationally during the Bush years. It is NOT America's responsibility to protect any other country from themselves. America was acting purely out of self-interest instead of focussing on what is important to its own people, like building an efficient and effective national telecommunications network. It is the UN's job to sort out international issues. America is now paying the price for meddling in other people's concerns with crappy health and telecommunications systems and crippling debt.

    Wake up, and support really important, innovative companies like Apple and stop trying to lay the blame on them rather than lazy, conservative corporations like AT&T. The future of America lies in companies like Apple, not Microsoft and AT&T. Companies like Apple are helping to restore the international respect and admiration for your country after Bush, Palin and the Republicans trashed it.

    End of Sunday sermon!!
  • Reply 44 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    There, fixed that for you.



    you mean like a Apple Bumper fixed the non-problem?
  • Reply 45 of 209
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post


    ...Are they now acknowledging there is a problem with the antenna?



    It seems that all of Apple's actions following the antenna outcry were consistent with their knowledge of a true hardware issue: 1. Admitting to faulty signal-strength indication algorithm as a sidetracking maneuver; 2. Calling in an emergency press-conference; 3. Appeasing customers with freebies; 4. Commencing a denigration campaign against their competitors; 5. Firing the person in charge of the antenna design.



    I'd use Occam's razor.
  • Reply 46 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    you mean like a Apple Bumper fixed the non-problem?



    The problem they fixed by holding a press conference which detailed the advantages of the iPhone 4?s antenna, their testing facility and on staff experts, giving away cases, reiterating that you had 30 days to return the device, and showing that ?death grip? attenuation was common to cellphones was to fix the media frenzy and public image issues, not to fix the iPhone 4 itself.
  • Reply 47 of 209
    eulereuler Posts: 78member
    I kind of wonder if behind the scenes if SJ had questions himself about the antenna, but this guy convinced him otherwise.



    However, in the long run though I wonder how much of the antenna design was designed aesthically by Jonny Ives vs. Papermaster.
  • Reply 48 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post


    oxygenhose - your comments reflect exactly why America lost so much respect internationally during the Bush years. It is NOT America's responsibility to protect any other country from themselves. America was acting purely out of self-interest instead of focussing on what is important to its own people, like building an efficient and effective national telecommunications network. It is the UN's job to sort out international issues. America is now paying the price for meddling in other people's concerns with crappy health and telecommunications systems and crippling debt.

    Wake up, and support really important, innovative companies like Apple and stop trying to lay the blame on them rather than lazy, conservative corporations like AT&T. The future of America lies in companies like Apple, not Microsoft and AT&T. Companies like Apple are helping to restore the international respect and admiration for your country after Bush, Palin and the Republicans trashed it.

    End of Sunday sermon!!



    don't let my jibes at apple fool you, i support them. i am typing this on a imac, i have a macbook pro 17" and a Mac Pro at the office. a shuffle and a touch. a new apple battery charger.

    i do not however have an iphone. i use an android device. i love os x but i don't like the way apple is handling the iphone, att, and the app store.
  • Reply 49 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post


    I suggest you check out Apple's website where they show off their $100 million + testing facility. Now grow up, and go troll somewhere else.



    Talk about embarrassing. Apple claims to have the best antenna testing labs in the world. And they use it to release a phone with the biggest reception flaw in the wild. If the lab really is the best in the world; it means it is staffed by idiots.



    Somebody has to take the fall. It certainly wont be Steve; after all he's a God isnt he? (No; thats right apple fired him once before)
  • Reply 50 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The problem they fixed by holding a press conference which detailed the advantages of the iPhone 4?s antenna, their testing facility and on staff experts, giving away cases, reiterating that you had 30 days to return the device, and showing that ?death grip? attenuation was common to cellphones was to fix the media frenzy and public image issues, not to fix the iPhone 4 itself.



    That post is proof that Jobs distortion field is stronger than common sense for those foolish enough to believe every word he says. Barnum would be proud.



    Apple would never hold an emergency press conference to squelch the media; unless what the media was reporting was impossible to dispute. They would not spend millions distributing a rubber band fix if one was not required.
  • Reply 51 of 209
    1st1st Posts: 370member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post


    I'm willing to bet he was fired since he was apparently heading the development of the iPhone antenna.



    He only started on 2009, the antenna must already in the making (product test need at least 3 month to 6 month, plus MFG launch to market and design phase), not enough time... Need at least 18-20 month to be responsible. Well, interesting for everybody to just easily find the link.. I don't believe it...
  • Reply 52 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post


    That post is proof that Jobs distortion field is stronger than common sense for those foolish enough to believe every word he says. Barnum would be proud.



    Apple would never hold an emergency press conference to squelch the media; unless what the media was reporting was impossible to dispute. They would not spend millions distributing a rubber band fix if one was not required.



    You obviously have no marketing or business sense if you don?t think that a media fueled frenzy can affect sales regardless of validity of the issue. It?s happened before and it will happen again. the nature of most people is to act first, think later and media fuels and feeds off of this fact to make a dime.
  • Reply 53 of 209
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Why would someone whose expertise is in chip design have anything to do with the antena design?



    And is it time to get worried now that all the chip design experts, PA semi talent and now Papermaster, have departed?
  • Reply 54 of 209
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    one hell of a coincidence that this guy was involved with antennae, so many people had so little problem with the antenae that jobs gave a show about it, and then this guy left. amazing.



    No, very very few people had problems with the antenna. As a matter of fact, it's a handful of mostly American users. It was more of a media/PR issue than anything else.



    If the antenna design was truly faulty, it would be reflected in real numbers: phone returns. The iPhone 4 does not have a significantly higher return rate than other smartphones.



    Again, Papermaster was a senior engineering VP for all mobile devices, not just the iPhone. He wasn't the engineer who designed the antenna. People make mistakes. Gray Powell made one and he's still at Apple. It is far more likely that Jobs and Papermaster didn't get along. The antenna issue might have been the final straw for Papermaster (or perhaps how he reacted internally to other staffers), but I doubt it was the main reason for his departure.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Why would someone whose expertise is in chip design have anything to do with the antena design?



    And is it time to get worried now that all the chip design experts, PA semi talent and now Papermaster, have departed?



    Engineering managers spend a lot of time in budget meetings. Here in Silicon Valley, the HR folks consider your career as an engineer over when you join management because your job is managing people and budgets, not engineering issues. Papermaster *was* an engineer, but he's management.



    As for departed engineering talent, Apple probably assumes that there will be some talent drain. People who like working at startups don't always like working at Fortune 500 companies.
  • Reply 55 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Why would someone whose expertise is in chip design have anything to do with the antena design?



    And is it time to get worried now that all the chip design experts, PA semi talent and now Papermaster, have departed?



    Excellent points.
  • Reply 56 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    you mean like a Apple Bumper fixed the non-problem?



    You are a mimicking a clueless mindless media consumer that can't think an original thought unless someone puts it in your head for you. If that is Jesus Diaz under a different moniker - I liked the shots of you out East when you supposed ran away to Spain. But you are still playing echo to a dying meme that was not borne out by the larger body of evidence, You have gone beyond trenchantly amusing (like a troll scratching his privates) to boringly repetitive and wrong to the point of embarrassingly bad. That is, you are making the trolls look intelligent and insightful.
  • Reply 57 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You obviously have no marketing or business sense if you don?t think that a media fueled frenzy can affect sales regardless of validity of the issue. It?s happened before and it will happen again. the nature of most people is to act first, think later and media fuels and feeds off of this fact to make a dime.



    I did not say that media cant influence people. I said that Apple could not dispute what the media was saying. If there were really no problem; it would have been very easy to dispute. In fact if there were no problem; there wouldn't have been the grass roots ground swell from users to report the problem.



    Apple made a huge mistake in the phone design, they then made multiple mistakes addressing it. They literally are shipping free band-aids to "fix it". I suspect a lot more than one person will be fired. This guy has name recognition; the engineers and product managers nobody will ever hear about.
  • Reply 58 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    don't let my jibes at apple fool you, i support them. i am typing this on a imac, i have a macbook pro 17" and a Mac Pro at the office. a shuffle and a touch. a new apple battery charger.

    i do not however have an iphone. i use an android device. i love os x but i don't like the way apple is handling the iphone, att, and the app store.



    Owning anything pretty much is not license to intelligence nor gives you any inherent right to continuously sputter erroneous crap incessantly. We GET that you are bitter and angry about the iPhone and fearful of buying something that in any way might be called flawed. We also get that you purposefully ignoring all other evidence in order to support your own pet ideas. Please just stop repeating yourself.
  • Reply 59 of 209
    Short list of candidates to replace Mark Papermaster:



    James Rockmaster

    Fred Scissormaster
  • Reply 60 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post


    Why would someone whose expertise is in chip design have anything to do with the antena design?



    And is it time to get worried now that all the chip design experts, PA semi talent and now Papermaster, have departed?



    The chip engineers that were and are at Apple that predate the PASemi acquisition, and the fact that Apple was on record as being primarily interested in the IP, not the staff. The timing of the PASemi staff exit is in line with a transitional strategy for the IP to APple and a reasonable assurance that Apple has the insider data they need to use it. Anyone with experience in corporate acquisitions recognizes this timetable. As far as Papermaster is concerned - I wondered if his background at IBM would be a problem at Apple - that is a HUGE cultural shift to make. Chances are Apple had some specifics they were after with Papermaster and as things worked neither he nor they were comfortable with the results. The whole antenna blow-up was well outside timing and control of Papermaster's role. But then media hacks want controversy not dull boring reality - so yeah it must have been the "Antennagate Fiasco" that drove Papermaster out of One Infinity Loop into the cold California sun.
Sign In or Register to comment.