iPhone head Mark Papermaster leaves Apple

1246711

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post


    Apple made a huge mistake in the phone design, they then made multiple mistakes addressing it. They literally are shipping free band-aids to "fix it". I suspect a lot more than one person will be fired. This guy has name recognition; the engineers and product managers nobody will ever hear about.



    And yet that HUGE MISTAKE has made the best iPhone ever and the best smartphone ever which has made it smaller and have the best low-signal usage of any phone I?ve seen tested. There are more than a few reviewers stating they are getting signal in places where they previously couldn?t make or hold a call. I?ll take those kinds of mistakes every day of the week.



    Do you really think next year?s iPhone will be cased in plastic because or do you think they will continue with the antenna as the frame? I?m betting on the latter.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post


    Short list of candidates to replace Mark Papermaster:



    James Rockmaster

    Fred Scissormaster



  • Reply 62 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post


    I did not say that media cant influence people. I said that Apple could not dispute what the media was saying. If there were really no problem; it would have been very easy to dispute. In fact if there were no problem; there wouldn't have been the grass roots ground swell from users to report the problem.



    Apple made a huge mistake in the phone design, they then made multiple mistakes addressing it. They literally are shipping free band-aids to "fix it". I suspect a lot more than one person will be fired. This guy has name recognition; the engineers and product managers nobody will ever hear about.



    is there no massive return of iPhones for not working properly, no recall and only the offer of "a free case if you think you need it" program? Why isn't the stock tanking, why aren't the other cellphone makers continuing their attack of Apple on this? Why are others reporting very little to none of the issue outside the US? IF this is a real issue, Apple would not have gotten away with simply dismissing the issues they way they did and offering a placatory case to those insistent on having one. Why do thousands of consumers daily continue to purchase them? There isn't enough RDF to cover all this by a long shot.
  • Reply 63 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post


    Owning anything pretty much is not license to intelligence nor gives you any inherent right to continuously sputter erroneous crap incessantly. We GET that you are bitter and angry about the iPhone and fearful of buying something that in any way might be called flawed. We also get that you purposefully ignoring all other evidence in order to support your own pet ideas. Please just stop repeating yourself.



    you are in serious need of mental help. both psychologically and logically.
  • Reply 64 of 209
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R View Post


    For a company that went to such lengths to convince the public that there was no antenna problem, firing the guy who came up with the antenna seems... hypocritical?



    Are they now acknowledging there is a problem with the antenna?



    To any truly rational individual the answer to that question is a resounding... Absolutely!
  • Reply 65 of 209
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    ...

    Do you really think next year?s iPhone will be cased in plastic because or do you think they will continue with the antenna as the frame? I?m betting on the latter.



    I'd take you on that bet. Perhaps same construction (as a frame), but definitely insulated, even if the insulation is transparent to preserve the aesthetics.
  • Reply 66 of 209
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post


    I did not say that media cant influence people. I said that Apple could not dispute what the media was saying. If there were really no problem; it would have been very easy to dispute. In fact if there were no problem; there wouldn't have been the grass roots ground swell from users to report the problem.



    Apple made a huge mistake in the phone design, they then made multiple mistakes addressing it. They literally are shipping free band-aids to "fix it". I suspect a lot more than one person will be fired. This guy has name recognition; the engineers and product managers nobody will ever hear about.



    No, you're wrong.



    The fact of the matter is that there really isn't any antenna problem.



    If there was, it would manifest itself very conspicuously in the form of returned handsets. If there really was a problem, we'd see significant returns. The iPhone 4 does not have a higher return rate than other smartphones. Also, iPhone 4 supply can't keep up with demand. When Apple announces quarterly earnings in October, my guess is that iPhone 4 worldwide sales crushes that of iPhone 3GS.



    Why does the media sensationalize the problems of a handful of mostly American users? Pageviews. The people of the iPhone buying world got whipped into a frenzy at the sole benefit of media outlets.



    Again, go look at the return numbers. That's where you would see any evidence of a true problem. It's 6+ weeks since the original release date and there are no numbers because there is no issue.
  • Reply 67 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    you are in serious need of mental help. both psychologically and logically.



    At this point you have simply dropped off the radar for further commentary, due to a serious case of OCD coupled with indefensible argumentativeness.
  • Reply 68 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    I'd take you on that bet. Perhaps same construction (as a frame), but definitely insulated, even if the insulation is transparent to preserve the aesthetics.



    So you’re taking a bet that Apple will or will not have the antenna visual on the next iPhone, but will make changes? Seriously?! Do you not understand that every iPhone has had major technological changes with each revision to improve the device? Since this only happened after a phone was released with an external antenna and there is proof that attenuation happens when you grip any phone the only bet you and others can take is that Apple will encase the next iPhone with plastic like all the other phones out there. Also, do you think all the other vendors will sit idly by as Apple breaks through with more innovated ways to maximize the internal space while making the antenna more sensitive to weaker signals by having using such a large antenna?
  • Reply 69 of 209
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    I'd take you on that bet. Perhaps same construction (as a frame), but definitely insulated, even if the insulation is transparent to preserve the aesthetics.



    Cretin's Law kicked in quicker than usual - How did this thread become about the merits or failure of the iPhone 4's antenna? Isn't that a dead horse by now?
  • Reply 70 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Cretin's Law kicked in quicker than usual - How did this thread become about the merits or failure of the iPhone 4's antenna? Isn't that a dead horse by now?



    Damn, your right, I?ll post no more on that lame duck topic on this thread.
  • Reply 71 of 209
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So you?re taking a bet that Apple will or will not have the antenna visual on the next iPhone, but will make changes? Seriously?! Do you not understand that every iPhone has had major technological changes with each revision to improve the device? Since this only happened after a phone was released with an external antenna and there is proof that attenuation happens when you grip any phone the only bet you and others can take is that Apple will encase the next iPhone with plastic like all the other phones out there.



    Maybe not plastic. Glass? That would be fresh.



    I am not arguing about the technological advances, but exposing the bare antenna was likely not one of them.



    Time will tell.
  • Reply 72 of 209
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    Cretin's Law kicked in quicker than usual - How did this thread become about the merits or failure of the iPhone 4's antenna? Isn't that a dead horse by now?



    Sorry to be off topic, got carried away replying to another poster.



    And no, apparently it isn't. Firing the head of the iPhone division resumed the flogging.
  • Reply 73 of 209
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post


    I'd say this speculation is so far off base its squarely in fantasy land. His division is the most successful and dynamic at Apple right now, and the iPhone 4 is their most successful product, there's no reason to punish him unless... this success was almost completely despite his management abilities. If he wasn't their ideal choice... that should tell you something right there, Apple seems to have an excellent track record with hirings.



    I'll bet you an iPhone, that he was just not a good fit for Apple's management team and as a manager required too much oversight from above for his division. Probably just too IBM/corporate to jive with the lean/mean team pushing constantly to keep product after product fresh. Probably a very, very intense job - great for the right person, terrible for the wrong one. When you send your armada out, your don't want the first mate and officers having to constantly bump heads with a captain of your flagship, just to get the damn thing outta port.



    I think this is probably the closest to the truth. But really, we know nothing about the dynamics and personalities at that level of Apple's management. What we do know is that whatever the reason, these kinds of people move on when its best for number one. No matter how much they screwed up at their job they'll manage to land another top level job with a nice fat pay check. Maybe the guy was no good at his job, maybe he didn't gel, maybe he felt the challenge wasn't worth it, maybe he lost interest, and maybe Jobs didn't like him. All conjecture - we have no idea. He headed a hugely successful division at Apple and will sail on to greener shores, regardless of his shortcomings if he has any.
  • Reply 74 of 209
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Damn, your right, I?ll post no more on that lame duck topic on this thread.



  • Reply 75 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Seriously! First reply states it's because of the iPhone 4 antenna, 2nd reply states that Apple is wrong for putting all the blame on Papermaster for "Antennagate".



    Personally, I think if an engineer who loses an iPhone 4 doesn't get fired that Papermaster didn't get fired for helping make Apple's best phone, especially after the lengths Apple went to get him. The truth is probably dull so it probably won't ever be considered on Internet forums.



    Good point. The purpose of spin is to make it "interesting". The reasons for Papermaster's leaving is not public information. That's all we know. I'm kind of surprised AI would speculate; they don't need to: The resident supply of forum trolls will dutifully provide that entertainment



    Eventually, this thread will devolve into people posting pictures of their Macs or dictionary quotes. You know the drill. Flame on!
  • Reply 76 of 209
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    The answer is maybe, not absolutely. There are two possible "coincidences" here. One is the antenna issue. The other is HP's CEO problems. I think we have to see where Papermaster ends up before we can decide which of these was right. But doesn't it seem too obvious for Apple to fire the guy right after the antenna brouhaha? Seems like it would be worth it to them for a few hundred grand a year in salary to shuffle positions so as to not make it look like they were admitting there was a problem.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    To any truly rational individual the answer to that question is a resounding... Absolutely!



  • Reply 77 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


    No, you're wrong.



    The fact of the matter is that there really isn't any antenna problem.



    ...



    Again, go look at the return numbers. That's where you would see any evidence of a true problem. It's 6+ weeks since the original release date and there are no numbers because there is no issue.



    What I am looking at is apple spending a lot of money to ship free rubberbands. A lot of people are taking advantage. Why? They like an ugly rubberband on their phone? No; to fix a design flaw. And lets not forget about Steve Jobs holding a press conference to admit the flaw. Ignore his lame attempt to claim other phones have the same problem. Evey example he gave is easily disputed with real evidence. Apple however cannot dispute the problem because it is a real problem. An Embarrassing one.



    Yes; apple lemmings are still buying the flawed product. They dont care about having to wear a rubber band. Thats OK with me; although I think its pretty funny.
  • Reply 78 of 209
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post


    The answer is maybe, not absolutely. There are two possible "coincidences" here. One is the antenna issue. The other is HP's CEO problems. I think we have to see where Papermaster ends up before we can decide which of these was right. But doesn't it seem too obvious for Apple to fire the guy right after the antenna brouhaha? Seems like it would be worth it to them for a few hundred grand a year in salary to shuffle positions so as to not make it look like they were admitting there was a problem.



    To read any kind of admission into Papermaster's leaving is ridiculous. Either he couldn't take the heat in the kitchen and decided to leave or else it wasn't hot enough for him - how can we know. By all means, I love speculation like the next guy but to deduce anything with certainty is foolish. I reckon it was his boyfriend that told him he spent too much time at the office and he had to make a choice. I mean, why not?
  • Reply 79 of 209
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    They say great minds think alike, but in actuality the truly great minds think like no one else.



    Seriously though, doesn't this news seem a little coincidental to the timing of HP's "reorganization"?



    Bingo!
  • Reply 80 of 209
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post


    apple lemmings are still buying the flawed product.



    The only thing flawed is your argument. May I suggest a course in reality, coupled with critical thinking?



    Don't hurt yourself.
Sign In or Register to comment.