CDMA iPhone, AMD-powered Apple TV with iOS, 7-inch iPad rumored

1246711

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    How exactly would iOS work on apple TV? It's a completely different category of device to iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.



    I jailbroke an early AppleTV. Its OS is basically the same structure as iOS -- OS X with features tailored to the device.



    For example:



    -- a single window "in your face"

    -- simple UI* that does not require a kb and mouse

    -- UI disappears entirely when content is presented.



    * The AppleTV UI lends itself to a remote multitouch device: MagicPad, Magic Mouse variant, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad.



    AppleTV could double as a game console supporting multiple remote touch devices (above) as multiplayer controls (or a single control, that is passed from player to player.



    Games and other apps developed for the iPhone or iPad could run on apple TV.



    The family sits around the AppleTV and:



    -- updates their calendars

    -- plans the weeks menu / shopping list

    -- assigns chores and allowances

    -- plays Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk, Clue (Hint: Miss Scarlet in the BoardRoom with the Tassle)

    -- watches a movie, TV show, home videos

    -- watches highlights of the kids soccer games

    -- sorts and massages their photo albums

    -- plays background music

    -- plays Wii-like games - maybe even use the Wii controller (or similar device)

    -- monitor what's going on at the front door, the pool or the baby's room

    -- accept a FaceTime call from grandma



    My AppleTV has no music, photos or videos stored on the device. These all reside on a [headless, kb-less, mouse-less] Mini with 2 2-TeraByte external drives. The mini serves as a media library-- streaming to the AppleTV over WiFi. The mini also acts as a ServeToMe media server that streams content over WiFi to local iPads and iPhones running StreamToMe -- kinda' an in-house NetFlix!



    http://projectswithlove.com/streamtome/faq.html#4



    I hope that they open the AppleTV to developers with an SDK.



    iOS for the AppleTV makes a lot of sense.



    .
  • Reply 62 of 207
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    The iPod Touch has iOS and the iPad has iOS. dumbing down the iOS won't save money, in fact the OS is probably the cheapest aspect of the iPad. That would be pointless.



    Any iDevice bigger than the current iPhone/iPod touch has to be using "iPad OS" or better.
  • Reply 63 of 207
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    There is no room in the pricing scale for a cheaper iPad. Not to mention the smaller size would be a nightmare for developers.



    The smaller size would be zero issue for developers if the screen resolution was the same, as rumored.
  • Reply 64 of 207
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


    With gaming so profitable and successful on the iPhone and iPad, I wonder if this new AMD chip will be for gaming? Are we talking Wii level performance or higher? I can't imagine it would be anywhere near 360 or PS3 level, but then again, those systems are 5 years old now. Anyone have any stats on the AMD chip?



    I don't know about this chip, but I can tell you AMD's mid-range mobile chip (HD5650) is quicker than PS3/X360.



    I'd be amazed if they couldn't achieve Wii-level performance.
  • Reply 65 of 207
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post


    Don't see it and yes I know I'm not the center of the universe. Smaller cheaper? iPod Touch comes to mind. Just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot gained or lost whichever is the case by a 7" model that isn't already met by the iPod Touch or the iPad at its current configuration.



    And, a 7-inch iPad or iPod Touch would essentially combine all the disadvantages of both models with none of their respective advantages.
  • Reply 66 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exscape View Post


    My thought exactly. Not only UI wise (touch interface), but the underlying architecture (ARM vs x86) is all different too.



    iOS already runs fine on x86 through the iPhone simulator.



    .
  • Reply 67 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    How exactly would iOS work on apple TV? It's a completely different category of device to iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.



    You don't have a 54-inch multi-touch plasma TV?
  • Reply 68 of 207
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    And, conversely, a giant, 7-inch, iPod Touch would, for very similar reasons, not work well either without developers having to redesign their app UIs.



    Again, no need to redesign the UI. 1024 x 768 is just that, you don't redesign an app for 1024 x 768 if it's on a 15" or 17" monitor, what would the difference be? Smaller pixels is all, UI remains unchanged. 7" at 1024 x 768 with $150 or so off the entry level and you've got another winning product.
  • Reply 69 of 207
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


    And, a 7-inch iPad or iPod Touch would essentially combine all the disadvantages of both models with none of their respective advantages.



    Never read a paperback book, understood why the smaller form factor is carried around by more people than a hardback? OPEN YOUR MIND. 7" - fits in a handbag, roughly the same size as a paperback book, slays the market.
  • Reply 70 of 207
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post


    Which is why it's unlikely that Apple would keep the Touch with the current size and bring out a 7" iPad. If Apple decides that a smaller touchscreen device is needed than the current iPad, I think they'd sooner bring out one device, probably still call it the Touch, and not have two similarly priced devices filling a similar niche.



    Right now the Touch and the iPad perform many of the same functions though the Touch compromises screen real estate for portability. The question is, does Apple have the formula right?



    In the case of the iPad, I'd say yes, provided they can get the weight down in future versions. In the case of the Touch, not so much.



    i would tend to agree. The Touch was originally the alternative to the iPhone, for people who didn't want to buy into ATT. However, the Touch is so popular now that eliminating it entirely for say a 5" or 6" screen may be the answer. Iit probably would piss-off some people at first, but I think that's the best argument I've heard...and keep the same price-points as the current touch.
  • Reply 71 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GaspinRasputin View Post


    I don't understand the need for a smaller iPad...



    I think this rumour is total BS given the timing, but one reason for a smaller iPad would be that it's better for data entry. The current model doesn't allow for typing of any speed, but if it were smaller, you could comfortably thumb-type on it in portrait mode which is generally speaking, the fastest way to enter text on a mobile.
  • Reply 72 of 207
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    The iPod Touch has iOS and the iPad has iOS. dumbing down the iOS won't save money, in fact the OS is probably the cheapest aspect of the iPad. That would be pointless.



    No need to dumb down the OS.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    they could develop and interface with the new Magic Trackpad. They do have a remote that already works with the current aTV. Plus they have apps for the iPhone and Touch that interface with aTV.



    That would suck. No doubt Apple could make it suck less... but it would still suck.
  • Reply 73 of 207
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post


    You don't have a 54-inch multi-touch plasma TV?



  • Reply 74 of 207
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post


    Not sure how you're holding your iPad, mine sits in my lap, i type with two hands with the pad supported in my lap, or on the arm of my sofa. Think you're doing something wrong there - go mute your own argument. Also, who does significant amounts of typing on an iPad - i read for 3 - 4 hours in an evening, check my email, listen to music and keep a check on facebook, no issue. Smaller would fit in my partners handbag, she'd grab one in a second.



    your argument was mute because you where trying to compare the functionality/UI of a lap-top to that of the iPad.



    I've used it in my lap on the couch, typing is a pain, the device doesn't have a good viewing angle when flat and when my legs are elevated, the device slides down to my crotch and typing because almost crazy-bad.



    checking email, and responding = typing

    facebook, myspace, twitter, forums (like AI) =typing



    why the hell am i explaining myself to you, it's my freakin' opinion alright? Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Reply 75 of 207
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post


    "on my lap"



    Many people hold the iPad up, either with both hands for reading, like a book, or with one hand whilst using the other for touch control.



    In that case, 1.5lbs over an extended duration can be tiring.



    It's not about going to the gym, that's a ridiculous statement to make.



    It was a joke - didn't realise i had to put a LOL after something so that all you mensa candidates could understand sarcasm.



    Really - most people hold it up? Well that's not how Apple demonstrate it in use, and it's not how anyone I know uses one. You hold it like a book, or on your lap, or on a table in a coffee bar. Why on earth would you hold it out in front of you - is that how you read a magazine also? Must be very weird watching people read in your world...
  • Reply 76 of 207
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post


    The smaller size would be zero issue for developers if the screen resolution was the same, as rumored.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post


    Again, no need to redesign the UI. 1024 x 768 is just that, you don't redesign an app for 1024 x 768 if it's on a 15" or 17" monitor, what would the difference be? Smaller pixels is all, UI remains unchanged. 7" at 1024 x 768 with $150 or so off the entry level and you've got another winning product.



    As was pointed out in a much earlier post, scaling 1024 x 768 down to 7" on a touch screen device would totally mess up the UI. Buttons would become too small, absolute spacing between buttons would decrease, etc., etc., etc. It may sound good to you on paper, but it just won't work well in practice.
  • Reply 77 of 207
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hmm, For AMD Fusion to be on the TV running iOS then iOS will need to be ported to x86. This could mean a whole range of machines for Apple and it?s a great way to do a linear move of AMD chips into the Mac lineup, but I?m not so sure that it makes sense for an TV that will not have a HDD, be energy efficient and still need to run High-Profile 1080p content. An Apple A4 ARM with Imagination GPU and coprocessor seem to be the best fit.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    How exactly would iOS work on apple TV? It's a completely different category of device to iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exscape View Post


    My thought exactly. Not only UI wise (touch interface), but the underlying architecture (ARM vs x86) is all different too.



    Seriously?! You don?t see how a small, lightweight OS is better than using Mac OS X for the AppleTV? Or are confusing yourselves with the iOS = CocoaTouch and Mac OS X = Aqua (for Macs) and BackRow (for TVs), because that argument doesn?t make sense. iOS is a lightweight OS that can run with very little RAM and be stored on a couple hundred MBs of NAND.



    CocoaTouch is what doesn?t make sense and that was not stated as being included. I assume it will be an evolution of the 10-foot UI known as BackRow or a new 10-foot UI to suit the new OS and evolved media extender appliance market.
  • Reply 78 of 207
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    Dude, if the iPad were any cheaper, it would be cheaper than the iPod Touch.



    iPad 16GB WiFi = $499

    iPod Touch 64GB = $399



    There is no room in the pricing scale for a cheaper iPad. Not to mention the smaller size would be a nightmare for developers.



    that's just because of storage space, take that away and you have a $250 price difference, since they don't make a 16 gig touch anymore.
  • Reply 79 of 207
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    your argument was mute because you where trying to compare the functionality/UI of a lap-top to that of the iPad.



    Nope, i was responding to the original poster who suggested that you'd use the two in a similar way. I am fully aware the intended functionality is different.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    I've used it in my lap on the couch, typing is a pain, the device doesn't have a good viewing angle when flat and when my legs are elevated, the device slides down to my crotch and typing because almost crazy-bad.



    checking email, and responding = typing

    facebook, myspace, twitter, forums (like AI) =typing



    why the hell am i explaining myself to you, it's my freakin' opinion alright? Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm wrong.



    Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. You are not, however, entitled to express your opinion as standard/common use 'fact'. Make it more clear that it's your opinion and not a statement of design flaw, when countless others don't appear to share your issues.



    Rant over.
  • Reply 80 of 207
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    they could develop and interface with the new Magic Trackpad. They do have a remote that already works with the current aTV. Plus they have apps for the iPhone and Touch that interface with aTV.



    But the app was developed by one person, who is now working "on other things"
Sign In or Register to comment.