CDMA iPhone, AMD-powered Apple TV with iOS, 7-inch iPad rumored

Comments

• Reply 81 of 207
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

"on my lap"

Many people hold the iPad up, either with both hands for reading, like a book, or with one hand whilst using the other for touch control.

In that case, 1.5lbs over an extended duration can be tiring.

It's not about going to the gym, that's a ridiculous statement to make.

Thank You!
  • Reply 82 of 207
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's not about going to the gym, that's a ridiculous statement to make.

It was a joke. You highlight your stupidity and blinkered vision. Well done.
  • Reply 83 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

With gaming so profitable and successful on the iPhone and iPad, I wonder if this new AMD chip will be for gaming? Are we talking Wii level performance or higher? I can't imagine it would be anywhere near 360 or PS3 level, but then again, those systems are 5 years old now. Anyone have any stats on the AMD chip?

As for iOS on the big screen, it makes a lot of sense, but only with properly retooled apps. When paired with a motion sensing Wiimote style controller a lot of games would work pretty well, leaving the touch screen ones off limits unless more significantly reworked. Combine it with a cable killing subscription plan (admittedly, this would be something of an epic achievement if anyone pulled it off), and you'd have a pretty compelling box.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The AMD Fusion could do near-PS3 level graphics at 1080p. If CPU and GPU is utilised thoroughly and intelligently. A Radeon 5500 series GPU, for example, can do 1080p PC games at low detail settings. On a Fusion chip, I really can imagine near-PS3 or PS3-level graphics...

AppleTV can become cloud-streaming and gaming and apps. Apple just has to pull the trigger. I think though it may not happen in first-half of 2011. Not until Fusion is a bit more proven, perhaps. By mid-2011, ARM+PowerVR(??) may have very compelling packages that can do 1080p games at PS3-level graphics.

Concerning the supposed AppleTV, if Apple is indeed pursuing touch-based gaming on the big screen (I don't see it being any other way), who wants to place bets. I'm thinking game apps (made for and downloaded on AppleTVs) will connect to future Touches/iPhones via bluetooth, with said devices becoming fully touch-based "controllers" while the game itself is on the TV. Would be pretty far out, huh?
  • Reply 84 of 207
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The AppleTV UI lends itself to a remote multitouch device: MagicPad, Magic Mouse variant, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad. AppleTV could double as a game console supporting multiple remote touch devices (above) as multiplayer controls (or a single control, that is passed from player to player.

I'm still saying Wiimote clone. Touch sucks when there is a disconnect between the device and the screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Concerning the supposed AppleTV, if Apple is indeed pursuing touch-based gaming on the big screen (I don't see it being any other way), who wants to place bets. I'm thinking game apps (made for and downloaded on AppleTVs) will connect to future Touches/iPhones via bluetooth, with said devices becoming fully touch-based "controllers" while the game itself is on the TV. Would be pretty far out, huh?

Bet taken

I think they will have something that looks a lot more like a Wiimote than a Magic Trackpad. Maybe they will blend them together somehow, but I think it will be distinctively more Wiimote than Trackpad.

I've had a PC of sorts connected to my TV for over a decade now and I've used every controller imaginable... and nothing even comes close to the Wiimote as an all-in-one controller
  • Reply 85 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And, a 7-inch iPad or iPod Touch would essentially combine all the disadvantages of both models with none of their respective advantages.

Well this is purely speculative, but I bet you can't list many of these "disadvantages" out.

Personally, I see the reverse.

- All the disadvantages of the iPhone (and it's not like there are a lot), basically come down to things being too small or not having software that allows me to do anything besides consume media. The web pages are sometimes too small to read, there is a lack of good writing software, etc.

- All the disadvantages of the iPad to me are disadvantages because of it's large size, it's weight, the huge bezel and the impossibility of using it productively in a mobile environment. It's too large to type on effectively without putting it down on a table like a laptop, it's too heavy to hold in one hand for long periods of time, etc.

Although I don't believe these rumours at all, and think it won't happen for at least a year or more, a 7" "iPad Pro" is a total sweet spot for a real mobile computer IMO. Small enough to put in a large pocket but large enough to read on easily. Small enough to allow for typing while walking, but large enough so that you can actually use good software to do it.

It's such a no-brainer to me that I'm seriously looking at buying Android devices whenever they come out in this form factor. So far the Android slates are all such crap that it isn't worth it, but this is a form factor that Apple might have to compete in earlier than they planned as many other manufacturers are coming out with models in this size.
  • Reply 86 of 207
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

How exactly would iOS work on apple TV? It's a completely different category of device to iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad.

Quit thinking of the Apple TV as some be-all, end-all media center that will play everything and do everything and it makes perfect sense. People have been trying to make the current Apple TV into that sort of device without much success.Think of the Apple TV as an iPad without a screen and with an HDMI port. Think of what the iPad does as a content consumption device and put it on your HDTV. Or think of it integrated inside an Apple branded HD display.

In my opinion it makes sense.
  • Reply 87 of 207
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'm still saying Wiimote clone. Touch sucks when there is a disconnect between the device and the screen.

The Wiimote clone sounds like a good idea, but couldn't an iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4G (?) with a gyroscope be suitable for using as a wiimote clone as they would combine the Wiimote style motions to control the TV as well as the touch-based input.
  • Reply 88 of 207
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    Best reason that I can think of for a smaller iPad is expanded markets.

How about one for retailers where they take your order?

After watching the sales people at the Apple store take and process orders on the Touch and phones, I think a larger version would be great for them. IMHO
  • Reply 89 of 207
    Quote:

Any iDevice bigger than the current iPhone/iPod touch has to be using "iPad OS" or better.

iPad os is just a fork of iOS 3 (3.2, to be exact). This allowed the iOS developers to work concurrently on two varieties of iOS fot the iPad and iPhone 4. The iPad iOS will be factored into iOS 4.x in the fall.

It's currently a PITA for developers, but there is really only 1 iOS.

• Reply 90 of 207
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Cortex A9, Fusion...

Why are the Chinese so ignorant of the A4? The new workhorse is doing exactly what it's been expected to. Amazing power efficiency is in place. Why to ditch? Just because the guy who led the development could not get along with Apple's corporate culture? Or have they not heard of yet?
  • Reply 91 of 207
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

The Wiimote clone sounds like a good idea, but couldn't an iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4G (?) with a gyroscope be suitable for using as a wiimote clone as they would combine the Wiimote style motions to control the TV as well as the touch-based input.

An iPod Touch with an IR receiver (or a big glowing "PS-Move" ball) would do the trick... or they could have a Wiimote with a touch surface on top instead of buttons.
  • Reply 92 of 207
    I welcome any increase in effective screen resolution on the iPad, but I don't know if I'd buy a 7" model just to get a sharper screen. The smaller form factor would be better for reading books in bed, but that's a smaller part of what I use the iPad for. What I'm really hoping for is the current iPad dimensions with a large increase in resolution. Going from my iPhone 4 to the iPad's grainy screen is almost painful. Of course, it would become a lot more difficult to power 3D games at that resolution (component cost, heat, battery life).

AppleTV is a brilliant product, but is in bad need of an update. I think iOS would be fine, but don't believe the streaming-only design approach is likely because it would limit the user base to only those homes with decent broadband (America lags the world there). Granted, all content on ATV is purchased and downloaded, but downloading once and storing locally is very different than streaming-only. If anything, I would imagine Apple would enable the USB port for external storage; I just can't imagine my kids streaming the same Monsters and Aliens from Apple's servers again and again and again. And hopefully they would build in support for a home media server so I wouldn't have to leave my energy-sucking computer running 24 x 7 to host the iTunes library.
  • Reply 93 of 207
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

iPad os is just a fork of iOS 3 (3.2, to be exact). This allowed the iOS developers to work concurrently on two varieties of iOS fot the iPad and iPhone 4. The iPad iOS will be factored into iOS 4.x in the fall.

It's currently a PITA for developers, but there is really only 1 iOS.

While they no doubt share a lot of code, I would not be surprised to find that these remain separate development branches because of distinct device differences.
  • Reply 94 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The Kindle is doing well?

Yes the Kindle is doing well, especially and almost exclusively among women*. I almost never see Ipads on the train which I find both curious and telling. It appears that as an e-reader and when compared to the Kindle, the Ipad is just too heavy or bulky to hold, more so with a case, which is almost always present.

* Kindle adverts are also strongly marketed towards women, at least those on rotation in my area.

That being said, a 7" Ipad could pose a real threat to the Kindle and it's cousins and would likely be marketed as such.
  • Reply 95 of 207
    Quote:

Funny, just a few hours ago today, I was thinking of posting a poll about who thought Apple was "secretly" compiling iOS for x86. But as someone mentioned, iOS and OS X share so much in common, I'm sure there's R&D going both ways:

iOS on ARM

iOS on x86

OSX on ARM

OSX on x86

Well, I believe that iOS "is" OSX on ARM (minus Cocoa plus CocoaTouch).

I understand going with AMD since: Apple has had a few clashes with intel, and the AppleTV can afford a non-low consumption chip (it is plugged to the wall). I can see Xcode building "universal binaries" for ARM and x86... And not every app is supposed to support all hardware, just as there are currently many iPad-only apps, etc. Bundling ALL the different sizes of the graphics resources AND both versions of the code could make the binaries quite heavy, though. I guess mostly games could be universal; utility apps are kind of more device-specific...
  • Reply 96 of 207

... As others have posted, here, the iPad has given us a lap display-- and even a lap keyboard!

I've along been a proponent of a lap mouse...

... or even a lap JoyStick!

Think of the possibilities!

Wheee! Or is that "Wii-ii-ii"?

• Reply 97 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Yes the Kindle is doing well, especially and almost exclusively among women*. I almost never see Ipads on the train which I find both curious and telling. It appears that as an e-reader and when compared to the Kindle, the Ipad is just too heavy or bulky to hold, more so with a case, which is almost always present.

* Kindle adverts are also strongly marketed towards women, at least those on rotation in my area.

That being said, a 7" Ipad could pose a real threat to the Kindle and it's cousins and would likely be marketed as such.

Nevertheless, the new black Kindle looks more sleek and 'manly'. I guess reading books is still 'a little gay' in the U.S.

(Braces for flames in 3... 2... 1...)
  • Reply 98 of 207

• Reply 99 of 207
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Although I don't believe these rumours at all, and think it won't happen for at least a year or more, a 7" "iPad Pro" is a total sweet spot for a real mobile computer IMO. Small enough to put in a large pocket but large enough to read on easily. Small enough to allow for typing while walking, but large enough so that you can actually use good software to do it.

Amen, I say. The most often cited advantages of dedicated ebook readers over the iPad are weight, size, and cost. These few factors are keeping Kindle, Nook, et al in the game. All three factors are addressed by a 7" iPad. I see this move as a natural one for Apple in order to consolidate its dominance in the tablet market. While HP and Android play catch up with the original iPad, Apple changes the game a bit. Typical of Apple's recent strategy.
  • Reply 100 of 207
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I'm happy for you that you have information that has heretofore not been available to the rest of the population. Amazon hides its Kindle sales figures from the public.

Estimates hold that the Kindle has sold around 4 million units in its lifetime... roughly the same number as the iPad has sold in the 6 months since it was brought to the market. It's also estimated that the iPad will sell at least 2 million more units this year (that's on the conservative side) and another 11-12 million units next year, almost triple the estimate (and I mean that literally) for 2011 Kindle sales.

Your anecdotal evidence aside... the iPad seems to be eating the Kindle's lunch.

Why the need for a 7" iPad when the current size seems to be doing so well.