Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    updated

• Reply 62 of 108
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cprail View Post

Wow, Apple really doesn't want me to keep my iPhone 2g... now I can't even put personal stuff on since anyone can write a script and insert it in any webpage to crack my phone.

Problem is: that phone is entirely functional, the battery always tough the entire day no problem, it plays music like it did 2 years ago...and I have no money for a new phone!

What are they getting on Ebay for an original iphone? Usually, you can pay for a new iPhone 4, if you don't count the ATT contract, and, even then, they grandfather you into an unlimited data plan, if you have one already.
  • Reply 63 of 108
    Well, the confirmation is jailbreakme.com jailbreaking your original iPhone!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Me too, but is 3.1.3 actually affected by this bug? It would seem quite likely but I have not seen a definite confirmation either way.

• Reply 64 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'll tell you one thing the jailbreakers did to the rest of us ...

They publicised a zero-day vulnerability in the iPhone and left every iPhone user in the world open to malicious hackers and viruses for the duration. This is actually what the article is about doncha know.

- They also enable massive theft of apps which raises the prices in the app store.

- Roughly 40% of them are thieves and steal apps themselves

- They publish endless dribble to forums like this about the benefits of jailbreaking

Jailbreaking is also still illegal really, given that the recent ruling by the Library of Congress seriously overstepped their authority and decided things that are completely unprecedented (like it's okay to steal Apple's code since it was only a "small amount"?). If they had followed precedent and common law principles, jailbreaking would never have even become the "quasi-legal" thing it is now and remained firmly "illegal."

This is going to be a long, aggravating road for you, isn't it? What with all the dribble and such. lol lol lol
  • Reply 65 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

What are they getting on Ebay for an original iphone? Usually, you can pay for a new iPhone 4, if you don't count the ATT contract, and, even then, they grandfather you into an unlimited data plan, if you have one already.

Unfortunately I don't live in the us, my 2g phone is out of contract (legally unlocked by Orange). I know, I'm in one of few unusual scenarios, but nonetheless frustrating.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Cannot find anything about an update for the original iPhone (iOS 3.1.3) for this security update, anyone find a link?

It seems you are out of luck.
  • Reply 67 of 108
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cprail View Post

Unfortunately I don't live in the us, my 2g phone is out of contract (legally unlocked by Orange). I know, I'm in one of few unusual scenarios, but nonetheless frustrating.

Seems like you can still get a good price on Ebay, particularly with a carrier-unlocked version, which is still in demand around the world. Usually, this means a software update will never lock your SIM card, which makes it even more valuable on ebay, since anyone can update the software (if they wanted to, not that they should), and keep the SIM card unlocked, so you don't have to go through the hassle of unlocking again.

What does a new iPhone 4 cost with the typical contract required by your carrier (Orange?). Does Orange sell you a new one with the SIM card carrier unlocked? I've heard that European carriers do.
  • Reply 68 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Will it brick previously jailbroken iPhones? I sure hope so. Those Jailbreakers don't have any excuse left for what they do to us.

You talk a lot of none sense. i jailbreak my phone to be able to unlock, be able to install apple rejected apps and overpriced apps like tomtom and navigon. I BUY ALL MY APPS AND I KNOW MOST OF JAILBREAKERS DO BUY ALL THEIR APPS
  • Reply 69 of 108
    Apple has never posted End of Life notices for the original iPhone or iPod Touch, so this is VERY atypical for Apple, as updates for Safari are STILL released for Mac OS X 10.4! I would expect security, Safari and QuickTime updates to continue...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It seems you are out of luck.

• Reply 70 of 108
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:

I said "publicised" not "made public."

This is mostly irrelevant and not true. Regardless of their inner feelings or whatever, jailbreakers enable theft (piracy), pure and simple. Whether they mean to or not, whether they agree with it or not, are all irrelevant to the actual fact.

Several app makers have defended higher prices by saying that their apps have been stolen and that's the reason why. Several developers have also gone on the record as "thinking of raising the price" when they found out that 90% or their users were actually thieves. it could also be argued that the ancillary costs of supporting stolen apps (because the developer can't tell who is a legit owner), and the costs of security in general, contribute to the prices in the app store.

This is also a bit misleading at best.

The DCMA actually "outlaws" jailbreaking except for the recent decision by the Library of Congress that modified it. This made jailbreaking "legal," but only under certain specific circumstances, one of which as you correctly note, is the need to move to another carrier. The other is to install legal software that Apple doesn't allow in it's store.

So by definition, 40% of all jailbreaks are still explicitly "illegal" according to the DCMA because they are using the jailbreak to steal software. Some percentage of the rest are likely illegal as well.

Given that iPhone is already sold unlocked in many places and that the exclusivity arrangement with AT&T is about to end, it's likely that the whole "unlocking" reason will go away entirely in a very short time frame as well. So that will leave the only legal reason to jailbreak being the "need" to install some crappy app that was denied from the app store for some lame moral reason, like the boobies app or whatever.

Finally, it's you that don't understand the background here because you totally missed my last point which was that the recent decision by the Library of Congress used an unprecedented measure. To do the jailbreak at all, it's required that you use some of Apple's code. This has always been illegal. This recent decision however said that because it was only a "little bit" of code, it was okay.

For that reason I think it's a poor and possibly illegal decision by a body that doesn't really have the power to make it, and is just unjustifiable in my opinion.

A parallel might be that if I sold bicycles that had a patented anti-theft device built into it, the Library of congress is saying that it's okay for some hacker to use a bit of my bicycle locking technology to unlock the bicycle just because he needs the bicycle for something else. They are saying that a customer, simply by virtue of buying a device has the right to knowledge about every single part of it, how it works, how it's put together and the private IP and secret codes of the manufacturer, simply by virtue of them having paid a hundred bucks at the store for the bicycle.

I, and a lot of other people completely disagree that this is reasonable or (ultimately), legal.

The iphone and ipod enable the theft of music. So does AT&T's data network, my cable network, the company that made my wifi router, etc. etc. Heck GM and Ford should be held accountable for enabling so many drunk drivers too right?

The jailbreak modifies Apple's code. They are not distributing it, selling it or commiting any other traditional violation of copyright. The argument that Apple tried to make is the very new way of looking at rights, not the LOC's view. The ruling was that it is OK to make a small modification to the code to enable legitimate use of the device. If you want a direct anology instead of bikes, lets look at other copyrighted works like say a book. If you buy a book and decide to cross out a couple of sentences on page 53 and make some notes in the margins on page 75, have you caused harm to the author and publisher? Is it reasonable to conclude that your modifications to the copyrighted work that you own and paid for is illegal or should be? That is pure lunacy, and it is no different than modifying a few bytes of code that I paid for from Apple, for whatever reason I have.

Also, your notion that 40% of jailbreaks are still illegal because they are also pitrates points out a huge fault in your ability to grasp logic. Even if you are correct that 40% of jailbreakers have a pirated app, as long as that was not the only reason the jailbroke the phone, their jailbreak is perfectly legal. The act of piracy is what is illegal, not the jailbreak. DUH! Plus, the stats I have heard suggests that most of the pirates are outside the US (as are many jailbreakers) and they are not affected by US laws and regulations. Also your 90% of users of some apps are theives numbers are nuts. Only 5-10% of iphones have been jailbroken, so if your 40% number is true, only 2-4% of iphones have any pirated apps, and only a fraction of them would have paid for the apps they stole if they could not steal them. The financial impact to developers is likely well under 2% of revenue. If there were some $100 apps that went to $101 because of pirates, I might accept that, but a 99 cent app going to $1.99 has nothing to do with piracy. I don't see too many developers adding things to their apps to combat piracy, so it must not be costing them money. And yes, there are simple things they can do to track pirated coppies and disable them if they want to.

"some crappy app that was denied from the app store for some lame moral reason, like the boobies app or whatever."

You are really showing your ignorance with this one. The boob shaking apps were #1 in the Apple app store for a while, not the Cydia store! There are some very high quality apps in Cydia, like SBSettings, various lock screen enhancements, UA faker, SSL, SSH, terminal with UNIX shell, Google Voice, etc. that have been banned by Apple because they do things Apple does not want you to do. They have nothing to do with morality, piracy or boobs. It is so much easier to just paint others as villians and ignore the truth, but it makes you look like a small minded biggot.

FWIW, I have been jailbreaking my phones for 2 years, and I do not have a single pirated app or pirated song on any of my i devices. I support the right of content creators to get paid for their work, and I oppose piracy. But to you, I must be just as evil is the pirates huh?
  • Reply 71 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delizazam View Post

You talk a lot of none sense. i jailbreak my phone to be able to unlock, be able to install apple rejected apps and overpriced apps like tomtom and navigon. I BUY ALL MY APPS AND I KNOW MOST OF JAILBREAKERS DO BUY ALL THEIR APPS

You buy ALL of your apps, or just the ones you have deemed not to be overpriced? BTW, I just paid for a copy of TomTom. It was less than $50 and runs on my phone and my wifes. Just an anual update of the maps from GM costs $199 for the DVD! The TomTom app is very reasonably priced given the cost to develope and maintain not only the software, but also the map database, POI database, IQ route info and everything else they do. Putting together the maps for the US with speed limits, turn restrictions, lane guidance and everything else is a big expense. It is not just a simple map, there is a ton of extra data needed to give quality turn by turn guidance. Look at their financial statements and you might get a clue what they are spending.
  • Reply 72 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Cannot find anything about an update for the original iPhone (iOS 3.1.3) for this security update, anyone find a link?

You have the option of jailbreaking 3.1.3 and installing the PDF warnign in Cydia. It is not a complete fix, but it will prompt you if a website wants to run PDF code, which would protect you unless you decide to say yes.

I would do that AND complain loudly to Apple. The jailbreak and patch will give you a level of protection until Apple decides to give you an official patch.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    I've just updated my wife's 3G and it does indeed seem faster. Looks like the 3G speed problems has been dealt with with this update.
  • Reply 74 of 108
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You forgot to blame Adobe for all of this. They, after all, created the PDF format.

As much as i hate Adobe... This hole wasn't in any of their products, just Apple.
  • Reply 75 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by William 3.0 View Post

It's out. Already downloaded for the iPhone 4 and now downloading for my 3G.

Did you experience the massive slowdown glitch from upgrading to 4.0? If so, can you tell us if 4.0.2 resolves it?
  • Reply 76 of 108
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoami View Post

As much as i hate Adobe... This hole wasn't in any of their products, just Apple.

Yeah, the clever exploits comix et al. used were all Apple?s fault.

Because these types of errors will crop up from time to time I really wish Apple would offer an pushed OTA x.x.1 update that will patch these potentially dangerous holes. I can understand the need for a full download if you issuing an x.1 update that changes a large majority of the files, but these could potentially be small fixes to render this jailbreak and any worms that use its method of access ineffective to a lot more users faster.
  • Reply 77 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Maybe jailbreaking is only legal if you write and use your own code rather than illegally modifying Apple's code.

Quote:

Jailbreaking is also still illegal really, given that the recent ruling by the Library of Congress seriously overstepped their authority and decided things that are completely unprecedented (like it's okay to steal Apple's code since it was only a "small amount"?). If they had followed precedent and common law principles, jailbreaking would never have even become the "quasi-legal" thing it is now and remained firmly "illegal."

• Reply 78 of 108
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Do you buy Apps like Tom Tom or do you steal them, in your statement you say you do both.

Steal or buy it's one or the other.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delizazam View Post

• Reply 79 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Will it brick previously jailbroken iPhones? I sure hope so. Those Jailbreakers don't have any excuse left for what they do to us.

what? that's the dumbest thing i've heard all month
  • Reply 80 of 108
    Yes, that is actually a great idea. But it does not cover all the other security issues Apple has updated since iOS 4.0.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

You have the option of jailbreaking 3.1.3 and installing the PDF warnign in Cydia. It is not a complete fix, but it will prompt you if a website wants to run PDF code, which would protect you unless you decide to say yes.

I would do that AND complain loudly to Apple. The jailbreak and patch will give you a level of protection until Apple decides to give you an official patch.