Report: Next Apple TV to be renamed iTV, drop 1080p

Comments

• Reply 101 of 231
    Whatever Apple does with their TV thing, all I ask is they (1) make the networking "just work", and (2) get iTunes sync working again.

<rant>

Apple, please. AppleTV networking has earned a special place in computing hell, not far from Windows ME. Good thing AppleTV has been a "hobby" because it would've been a disaster in the mainstream. Apple, if you can't make it "just work" then kill it. If I wanted headaches I'd buy from Microsoft.

</rant>

All better, thank you.
  • Reply 102 of 231
    I don't know it is me or not. Apple doesn't seem to care about high definition quality. why will they drop 1080p which everybody wants nowadays. it's bad sign. do you think if Apple would do something, it will change something or they will be successful? wrong. their decision about high definition quality of TV contents is totally wrong. it's just excuse that their A1 processor can't handle. just like iphone 4 attenuate problem. what a shame.
  • Reply 103 of 231
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MandrakeTheMagician View Post

Drop 1080p !!!!

What a mistake !!!!

So I'll still buy the next DVICO TVIX device.

What part of "this is a rumor" did you people not understand?

It's a rumor, not verified by anything... and it's pretty stupid to boot.
  • Reply 104 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?ve seen that proposed a few times. I never understood how that would be easier or better than an iDevice with the remote control to quickly type in names or navigate quickly via other on-screen helpers. Or just a remote control. I just don?t see trying to tap and swipe a touchpad makes much sense, especially knowing the touchpad requires a physical press of the front feet for tap.

The magic pad also supports touch to tap as well....
  • Reply 105 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

dropping 1080p goes against Apple's philosophy of providing newer, better technologies.

plus, the people that would want an iTV are people with extra money and those people have larger screens and would appreciate the higher quality.

Apple again, driving towards the low end.

low end specs, high end prices. that's the norm right? i can totally see them doing this. i can also totally see me ignoring it just as i do the ipad, or as i like to think of it, the douche magnet. ipad should control my home entertainment center with an IR port that works for all my devices and the itv should allow me to watch content in true high def, otherwise i have no reason to buy it over xbox, or ps3, both of which have content and netflix and hd playback for cheaper than whatever apple is planning. hell, ps3 even has 1080p discs. are they going to aim at people who dont own a ps3 or xbox? boo.

at what point do you look over your shoulder and go, "damn, we have a crapload of money... maybe we should be going the extra mile to get marketshare by making devices NOone can resist?" the lastest stuff out of the mac camp has left a bit to be desired, though it's still somehow better than the pc alternatives. I guess you only really have to beat the best of the worst to be considered great. :|
  • Reply 106 of 231
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

You are among a tiny, tiny minority who might benefit a slight amount form 1080p. But the normal consumer, of which there are millions, cannot see any difference and does not really care about crazy numbers.

Dude, is there anything you think Apple does that isn't absolutely perfect? If iTV or whatever it is called was doing 1080p you would be carping about how the 720p crowd are just "whiners" who are too cheap to get the latest technology and Apple doesn't want them anyway, etc., etc. Give me a break.
  • Reply 107 of 231
    You know, there is one major part of this that isn't being talked about. That is FaceTime. Imagine being able to start or receive a FaceTime call from somebody, on your TV. All they would have to do is integrate a camera into the new AppleTV (or iTV, or bananaTV, or whatever). Those cameras are getting pathetically cheap, especially for this kind of thing. It would also be very Apple-like to include something like that into something that no one thought of before.
  • Reply 108 of 231
    Quote:

dropping 1080p goes against Apple's philosophy of providing newer, better technologies.

plus, the people that would want an iTV are people with extra money and those people have larger screens and would appreciate the higher quality.

Apple again, driving towards the low end.

The 1080P limitation may not be a limitation of the iTV box itself-- rather a limitation of the source from which the iTV is streaming.

I just looked at NetFlix streaming to my iMac 20, and my iPad-- the picture quality is great on both.

I have heard that to notice a difference between 720P and 1080P you need a screen over 50".

Our largest screen is 46" in the family room. We have 27" TVs in 2 of the bedrooms and ATT U-verse.

We also have 2 iPads.

We don't buy anything from U-verse-- just basic Internet and TV.

When NetFlix comes to iTV, I suspect we will buy 3 additional iPads so each family member has one.

The iPad is an excellent device when used as a personal TV.

We have a Mac Mini (2 2-TereByte External Drives) setup as a media server: Ripped DVDs, Ripped CDs, Photos; Home Movies, Podcasts. We can stream these to the AppleTV through iTunes. Also we can stream these to the iPads with StreamToMe.

When NetFlix comes to the iTV, we can cut back on buying and ripping DVDs to store locally-- as NetFlix fleshes out their streaming catalog, it makes more sense to stream most things. Likely, we will always have some ripped DVDs as some of titles will never come to NetFlix-- Old TV series like: Two Fat Ladies, Fractured Flickers, etc.

Last evening I was at a long soccer practice (almost 3 hours). I took my iPad 3G, and over 3G was able to watch:

1) A liveCast over Stickam-- a friend is a singer composer and has a live show every Tuesday

2) part of a NetFlix movie

3) some short (5 min or less) home movies over remote StreamToMe.

Everything worked without a hitch-- that's using the (supposedly) crummy AT&T 3G service in the East San Francisco Bay area.

So, this idea of "anything you want to watch-- wherever, whenever" is becoming practical on a personal device. You can take it with you, and it dutifully resumes where you were-- regardless that others are "viewing their own thing" at the same time.

I also see great potential for games on the iTV with satellite iPads, iPhones and iPod touches.

Say, you have Scrabble: Monopoly: Clue; Yahtzee-- where the main board is on the big screen, and each player has his own device to play his turn.

MultiPlayer action games ala Wii, should be Fun and inexpensive.

• Reply 109 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

It wouldn't be the first time Apple copied another product's name.

I think this goes all the way back to the use of the name Apple and Macintosh.
  • Reply 110 of 231
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    What if these rumours are both true and false regarding 720p? What Apple will release a new TV in the Mac Mini aluminum casing that can do 1080p and HDD for local storage, as well as other features as the flagship device for your big screen TV, but also releases a small TV that can only 720p and has local storage, expect for the OS, that is designed for the smaller TVs we tend to have in other rooms of the house. This could be the $99 TV that was rumoured.

Along with an TV SDK and App Store for the iOS BackRow UI this could the way Apple could capture the home theater market in ways that no other vendor could compete with.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Dude, is there anything you think Apple does that isn't absolutely perfect? If iTV or whatever it is called was doing 1080p you would be carping about how the 720p crowd are just "whiners" who are too cheap to get the latest technology and Apple doesn't want them anyway, etc., etc. Give me a break.

He?s fraking with you. From what I?m told he?s and old troll from his forums that got banned so he?s going to the extreme other side writing the exact opposite of what he thinks about Apple and their products.
  • Reply 111 of 231
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Whatever Apple does with their TV thing, all I ask is they (1) make the networking "just work", and (2) get iTunes sync working again.

<rant>

Apple, please. AppleTV networking has earned a special place in computing hell, not far from Windows ME. Good thing AppleTV has been a "hobby" because it would've been a disaster in the mainstream. Apple, if you can't make it "just work" then kill it. If I wanted headaches I'd buy from Microsoft.

</rant>

All better, thank you.

No networking issues here. And it is used daily for music and video.
  • Reply 112 of 231
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    They're getting closer in some respects here while leaving out some of the things they got right.

1) Adding apps is essential. Make it an iPad for your living room because its not going to go over as a pure media player.

2) Consumers might not need 1080, but they want it. I everyone went by their true needs, Apple wouldn't really need a Mac other than the white Macbook.

3) Don't think volume can replace quality on the game front. If you're going to try to compete with the Wii, X360, and PS3, they're not going to care if you have ten million casual games.

4) Apple really really needs to renegotiate their deals with the movie studios. Features and price points need to match physical media. iTunes extras with the same content with the DVD/blu-ray need to be standard with purchased movies.

4A) Rentals. Apple's trying to compete with cable Video on demand when the industry norm now is kiosks. Do you really expect anyone to ditch their DVD or Blu-Ray player when Red Box and the like are charging $1 for 24hr DVD rentals and $1.50 for Blu-Ray when Apple's charging $4 for SD and $5 for HD? Movie rentals are not a Macbook. Users aren't going to pay twice as much here for the Apple logo.

4B) Give the customer a few more rights. The ability to re-download lost content and some more rights with the Videos because the DRM there is outrageously oppressive.

5) Realize one size does not fit all here.
  • Reply 113 of 231
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

You know, there is one major part of this that isn't being talked about. That is FaceTime. Imagine being able to start or receive a FaceTime call from somebody, on your TV. All they would have to do is integrate a camera into the new AppleTV (or iTV, or bananaTV, or whatever). Those cameras are getting pathetically cheap, especially for this kind of thing. It would also be very Apple-like to include something like that into something that no one thought of before.

It sounds awful and invasive.
  • Reply 114 of 231
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

It also shows that the source doesn't actually know anything. Because the Apple TV has never been 1080p. It has always been 720. That is one of the biggest gripes from folks about calling the files HD, as those folks feel that only 1080 should have that name
  • Reply 115 of 231
    God, I just hope they don't try to lock it down too much.

If they do, people will still seriously consider a WDTVLive+.

Please let us play stuff directly from Netflix and our own media servers and can-drives.

Maybe the next round of XBMC, Boxee or Perian?...

@Joe hs: Imagine that (esp. on a US website and about a US company). And in a country smaller than Florida with 1/6 our population, you guys still manage to be the most ethnocentric tossers on the face of the planet. Worse even than the French. I hope for all the Imams your INS lets into the country, that the surveillance cams in downtown London all stream 1080p to the bobbies trying to outlaw photography.
  • Reply 116 of 231
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He?s fraking with you. From what I?m told he?s and old troll from his forums that got banned so he?s going to the extreme other side writing the exact opposite of what he thinks about Apple and their products.

Thanks for the heads up.
  • Reply 117 of 231
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Wow, all the Apple fanboys defending Apple for (allegedly) removing 1080p, when just about every single HDTV related products on the market supports 1080p, astounds me.

Let's consider the facts.
    1. Nearly every 40-inch or larger HDTVs on the market have 1080p resolution.

2. Best selling HDTVs are 40-inch or larger.

3. Most devices that connects to HDTV via HDMI supports 1080p.

4. If you sit close enough, you can tell the difference between 720p (1280x720) and 1080p (1920x1080) even on smaller 40-inch HDTV.

5. Larger percentage of TV programmings (e.g., Animal Planet, Cartoon Network, CBS, Cinemax, CNBC, CNN, Discover, Food Network, HBO, MTV, NBC, Nickelodeon, Showtime, Spike, Starz, Syfy, TBS, TNT, Universal, USA, Weather) are shown in 1080i, which are deinterlaced to 1080p on 1080p sets. Among the major networks, ABC, A&E, Disney, ESPN, Fox, Fox News, Fx, and History are 720p.

No one has a problem with Apple choosing to stream iTunes Store movies and TV shows at 720p, which is the norm among other streaming services (e.g., Hulu, Netflix) as well. But in time, more and more users will have the bandwidth for 1080p (and some services like YouTube have 1080p already). And some of us use 1080i camcorder and SLR for home movies, time shift TV programs to 1080p (e.g., El Gato or TiVo Desktop), or convert Blu-Ray to 1080p for disc-less viewing.
  • Reply 118 of 231
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    No it isn't.

Quote:

The difference between 720p and 1080p is just HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply 119 of 231
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Apple sez: "Here's a check, now be quiet for a while..."

All things considered that would have to be a mighty big check.
  • Reply 120 of 231
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Drop 1080p !!!!

What a mistake !!!!

You're right but from a marketing view-point only - "Full HD" sells.

The 720p/1080p resolution is rendered secondary by bit-rate constraints that download/streaming demands. 1080p may look better than 720p at 12-50Mbps that Cable/Sat/BD delivers but the same doesn't hold at 3.5Mbps which is what the Movie studios are currently providing Apple. Besides aren't us Apple fans supposed to be able to see through the marketing specs?

McD