Report: Next Apple TV to be renamed iTV, drop 1080p

Comments

• Reply 121 of 231
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

a smaller, cheaper device that uses network streaming rather than Apple TV's hard drive for local storage

Nooooooooooo!! What about outside the US where the internet still sucks?

We need to go the other way and have TBs of local storage so our iPod/Pad/Phone-only users can have local media/email for sync/streaming.

McD
  • Reply 122 of 231
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The broadcast HD is so highly compressed it's of lower quality than the average upscaled DVD. anyone who thinks they are getting 1080p over the wire from CBS or PBS is dreaming or uninformed.

Some people just look for one simple number and they think that it means everything. 1080 is bigger than 720, so it must be better, right?

Wrong.

Apple will show everybody that numbers and specs and all that geek mumbo jumbo doesn't really mean anything - it is the User Experience. And at that, nobody in the world does it like Apple. Especially not the TV Companies.

Apple is poised to change the entire industry, from the ground up, disrupting all the existing paradigms, and all the whiners care about is one number. Pathetic.
  • Reply 123 of 231
    I think 720 would be fine for what this device will do, but who really knows?

I don't think this will replace the AppleTV because that ship has sailed, but it may be a streaming only device and concept, thus the need to keep the data rates lower. This could very well replace your cable service as well. All on demand TV, game, app and cloud serving media network... oh, and throw in facetime on the TV!!!!

The AppleTV is just a fancy cable adaptor anyway. The storage part is becoming insignificant and sometimes actually gets in the way of what you want to do, which is to view content. You should be able to buy or rent content from one outlet and have it instantly show up on any device you have under your name without having to worry about storage or losing or transferring a file, or having the file become obsolete or incompatible.

Sounds pretty cool.

Buy that Apple stock now!
  • Reply 124 of 231
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

That Wii-mote controller clone Apple filed for might come in handy running the iOS without touch.

I've been saying the same thing for ages

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._apple_tv.html
  • Reply 125 of 231
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MandrakeTheMagician View Post

The difference between 720p and 1080p is just HUGE

No it isn't.

From 480p to 720p there is a 167% increase in pixel density.

From 720p to 1080p there is a 125% increase in pixel density.

The difference between the retina display an other leading smart phone screens is around a 21% increase in pixel density.

So the jump from "HD" to "Full HD" isn't as big as the jump from "SD" to "HD"... but it almost is. I suppose it depends on how you define "huge".
  • Reply 126 of 231
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Too much iNames! This is getting very old. Apple TV sounds very nice.

This coming from iVlad?!
  • Reply 127 of 231
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Why drop 1080p only to be forced to reintroduce it later? I hope that is not true, other then that sound like a pretty good idea.
  • Reply 128 of 231
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple sells HD content in iTunes as 720p. Higher resolution 1080p is an alternative HD standard, but video experts note that the difference in resolution is not visible to users at a normal TV viewing distance unless the screen is larger than 55 inches.

Depending on what is meant by "normal TV viewing distance", this statement is just plain wrong. I sit seven feet from my 50" plasma; the difference between 720p and 1080i broadcasts is dramatic.
  • Reply 129 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MandrakeTheMagician View Post

Most consumers can't even tell the difference between 720p, 1080p and upscaled DVD ???????

Are you kidding ??? Just open your eyes ....

The difference between 720p and 1080p is just HUGE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup.

no 1080P

FAIL.

For that reason, I think that rumour is wrong.
  • Reply 130 of 231
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

From 480p to 720p there is a 167% increase in pixel density.

From 720p to 1080p there is a 125% increase in pixel density.

The difference between the retina display an other leading smart phone screens is around a 21% increase in pixel density.

So the jump from "HD" to "Full HD" isn't as big as the jump from "SD" to "HD"... but it almost is. I suppose it depends on how you define "huge".

For me "huge" isn't 1080p though I can appreciate the quality. Huge to me is VHS to DVD. The only time I've been amazed since is when looking at specifically plasma TVs in HD.

There gets a point where where I'm just fine with a picture. 720p was that point. Maybe I'll get amazed in another 5 years when 4k comes out.
  • Reply 131 of 231
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

For me "huge" isn't 1080p though I can appreciate the quality. Huge to me is VHS to DVD.

The resolution increase from DVD to 1080p is more drastic than from VHS to DVD.
  • Reply 132 of 231
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Why do people keep going on about 1080p just because it's a higher number? We're talking about video streaming here, which is limited by consumer bandwidth.

Because people claim streaming/downloads are a competitor to Blu-ray,a nd since I have poor bandwidth Blu-ray is my choice of product as I prefer the quality.

Quote:

If you can see the difference then you're too close to the TV.

I didn't realise you were my mother, I can sit as close, or far away from the TV as I choose.

Quote:

This $99 720p streaming box will be a huge hit and help combat online piracy because it's the one type of service that can rival the convenience of P2P downloads. With P2P downloads, they are free but the download out of order so you can't stream it so you have to wait - that's no good if you decide to watch something right away. With the instant box, you pick, click it and watch it and Apple use high quality encoders so it's good 720p.

It won't combat online piracy, the reason most people pirate movies are because they don't want to pay for them, getting them to buy isn't going to fix it.
  • Reply 133 of 231
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The resolution increase from DVD to 1080p is more drastic than from VHS to DVD.

That may be true in specs but it's not the way it affected me. The move from VHS to DVD struck me immediately because the picture went from blurry to sharp. When I initially saw a Spiderman on a 1080p screen in a Sony store 3 years ago I thought "That's pretty nice".

My point is that specs can say one thing while the experience is another. Some may have a different experience but I suspect I'm in the majority.

I wonder what will happen a year from now when people are complaining why the iTV doesn't support 3D.
  • Reply 134 of 231
    If you stay at 37 "or below 720 is fine. You need 1080 at 40 or above.

You also need the new LED TV not the old cheep on sale LCD's

I have a friend who just purchased a Sony 55 3D for $ 3500.00

I'll be visiting him for all the Who Dat Saints games.
  • Reply 135 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

No networking issues here. And it is used daily for music and video.

Google for "apple tv network problem" and "apple tv sync problem" sometime.

Interestingly I spent way too much time last weekend trying to get mine to sync with iTunes again. Never did get it to work.

Anyway great that YOURS works, just saying that the networking needs improvement because problems aren't uncommon.
  • Reply 136 of 231
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

This coming from iVlad?!

I was wondering when someone was point to point that out.....
  • Reply 137 of 231
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    And again another rumour thread goes wild on speculation and hearsay.

How about instead of all these experts in this thread going on about 720this or 1080 that, why don't we wait until we have some more solid proof?

And for those that are saying stupid crap like "thats it, unless they release it as 1080p im boycotting Apple products", my response is so long and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Lets wait until we get some more sources for these rumours before we jump to conclusions. Because so far it seems to just be Engadget's Apple link bait.
  • Reply 138 of 231
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The only time the average viewer will even come across 1080p or 1080i material is if they buy a BluRay disc of a recent movie and have a very good player and the latest TV.

Or over the air like I do in the kitchen. I have the Viewsonic 23" full 1080 and the quality OTA is amazing. I like the picture quality maybe even better than my 52" Sony on cable.
  • Reply 139 of 231
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    If true, that means hulu plus, safari, netflix, pandora, tunein radio, and a few other cool apps will finally come to the apple tv without having to hack the device.

That's a plus.
  • Reply 140 of 231
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    It's all rumor (and it's been going on for a long time). However, if it proves to be correct, and a new "iTV" device lacks 1080p output/playback it would be a failed product level mistake. I would be incredibly disappointed in Apple for building such a disaster, and it would definitely not make it to my 'to buy' list.