Apple's rumored iTV rebranding makes UK broadcaster 'furious'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 149
    Trademarks don't apply in other universes. Since Apple exists above our plane of existence, ITV has no legitimate claim
  • Reply 102 of 149
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I do not want to sound ignorant here, considering I know there are number of Brits in this forum, but who the hell is iTV, I have traveled outside the US and even in the UK and never hear of these guys, I hear and watch the BBC and also SkyTV but never once have I ever came across iTV. I think these guys have inflated egos to think they have world wide brand recognition.

Sorry guys there only a few brands that have world wide recognition and even Apple is not top in that list and I know I never seen iTV in that list.

ITV is the number 2 broadcaster in the UK after the BBC but they are not what they used to be. You might however know some of their shows that have crossed the pond such as American Idol, Americas Got Talent and Millionaire.
  • Reply 103 of 149
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Talk about getting your knickers in a twist...

Sheesh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You only have to look at recent problems with the iPhone 4 to see not everything Apple produces is gold dust,"

There was a recent problem with theiPhone 4?
  • Reply 104 of 149
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hexor View Post

Amazing how Apple can tick off people with a non-existent product.

+1.
  • Reply 105 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Amazing how people get ticked off with a non-existant Apple product

What? You you didn't like that he spelled 'existent' correctly?
  • Reply 106 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

Hmm, but the T is not capitalized.

It would be funny though if brand names were case sensitive.

They aren't. However, a logo design (wordmark) with a lowercase letter could be trademarked.
  • Reply 107 of 149
    Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar was known as Mac OS X 10.2 in the UK due to a disagreement with the automobile manufacturer.

They printed different boxes as well.
  • Reply 108 of 149
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What? You you didn't like that he spelled 'existent' correctly?

No. But I sure didn't like that I spelled it incorrectly.

Thanks for the catch.
  • Reply 109 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i agree. apple would be gnashing their teeth and unleashing the law hordes (like they have done many times before) if this was reversed....

If what was reversed? A rumor?
  • Reply 110 of 149
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomHicks View Post

Just want to try again to clarify this, as this is being missed:

It is highly unlikely that anyone at ITV has spoken to anyone at The Mirror about this. The Mirror (along with other UK tabloids) make up a lot of stuff. "The unnamed source" will most likely be "the author of the article".

No-one at ITV is over-reacting to this.

In fact they would probably be thrilled. What better free publicity eh?
  • Reply 111 of 149
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

This whole Apple TV series of events just shows how ridiculous the media has become in its Apple coverage.

1) They create rumors where the Apple TV can apparently do amazing new things (run iOS apps, ,be impossibly small, output 1080p).

2) They then create a new rumor that Apple wont do all the things the earlier rumor was supposed to do.

3) They then create a rumor that Apple will change its name.

4) A freaking international company starts throwing hissy fits based on this new rumor.

And, the worst part is, people are falling for it, and attributing rumored actions to Apple's actions. It seems people no longer tell the difference between what Apple does, and what Apple has been rumored to do. Its even more remarkable considering how large a percentage of these rumors dont even come close to reality (how long had we been hearing of a tablet mac?)

+1, what a great post. Just wanted to add that number 4 is also inconclusive as it is based upon "a channel insider" which is an anonymous source. We don't have anything tangible other than anonymous sources for anything about this.

4) They then create a rumor that an international company is throwing hissy fits based upon this new rumor.
  • Reply 112 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar was known as Mac OS X 10.2 in the UK due to a disagreement with the automobile manufacturer.

They printed different boxes as well.

UK is ok with Jaguar now they only have to call it 10.2 in India now!
  • Reply 113 of 149
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    And in other news Apple's semi-conductor division PA Semi has announced their new line of chips iNTEL.

How would that go down!?!? :-)

Mind you as I implied at the time of Jobs announcing iTV (as he called it then), ITV shows is an old and tired channel with nothing of interest. Can't imagine why they are still going and certainly can't imagine what tosh gets shown on ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=109
  • Reply 114 of 149
    Quote:

Thanks for the catch.

No worries.

I didn't read your post well enough. I only caught the misspelling, not the people/Apple you changed.

But I had the same thought
  • Reply 115 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

ITV is the number 2 broadcaster in the UK after the BBC but they are not what they used to be. You might however know some of their shows that have crossed the pond such as American Idol, Americas Got Talent and Millionaire.

Please ask them not to export any more like that will ya!
  • Reply 116 of 149
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

As I comment previously, iTV is a registered trademark owned by kokos, Theodore C., 2801 Turtle Creek Blvd., Dallas, TX 95219.

http://www.trademarkia.com/itv-76688968.html

Regardless, as many have already mentioned, this conversation is basically moot unless Apple takes the first step.

iTV is not a registered trademark. It has been filed, but hasn't gone through the whole process to become registered. I highly doubt it will go through.

There are numerous other filings for ITV, including the one from the "furious" ITV Network Limited in 2006.

Apple has aggressively gone after the iPrefix, and has been quite successful to date. For some reason, they chose not to go after iTV when they launched the Apple TV. This could be for a variety of marketing reasons (keeping it as a hobby). It could also have meant that Apple didn't want to fight for the name back then. It may have helped to get a few fights under its belt before going in for the iTV name.

I don't see any live registrations for ITV that would cause a problem for Apple, and the filings are all post iPrefix. While it may be messy for Apple, it's not impossible, and Apple may want to fight for it to further establish the iPrefix.

Of course all of this is speculation based on a rumor...sooo....
  • Reply 117 of 149
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

"We all take our ITV brand very seriously and we'll do everything in our power to protect it."

Anyone who's ever seen ITV knows how awful everything on it is, so I don't see how they manage to get on their high horse with this.

ITV is base level mainstream reality TV dreck, but sadly it's just the kind of rubbish that's very popular now.

Regardless of how tabloid and brainless the channel is, they've been around since the 1950s and there's no way they'd ever let Apple get anywhere near the 'ITV' name anywhere on planet earth. Remember ITV stuff is also exported all over the world too.

So in short, the new Apple TV will not, under any circumstances, in any country, be called ITV. It will not happen. At all. Ever. End of discussion.
  • Reply 118 of 149
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    lol it's called a rumor for a reason.
  • Reply 119 of 149
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ed Pummelon View Post

What's the matter with all of you? I assume most people on here are resonably intelligent, so why is this even being discussed? Do you all think there are fairies in the bottom of your garden as well?

This was printed in the Mirror - they couldn't write a true story if you held a gun to their head.

The whole thing's a crock - they don't even have a named source. There's no story, and frankly Appleinsider should have higher standards than repeating crap that comes out of British tabloids.

Don't kid yourselves that anything in this article has ever happened.

Thanks for mentioning. Meanwhile, Lindsay Lohan is having Elvis' baby.
  • Reply 120 of 149
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    iDontCare ... it will be figured out and as usual, you have a bunch of people reacting to a rumor which might make a decent 30 minute sitcom on iTv or iTV or itv or whatever.