Netbook maker reduces shipments due to success of Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

But, but, but, but, but..... no one will ever buy an iPad. It doesn't have a USB port, customer acceisble file system, or Flash, so it's worthless.

Asus must be mistaken.

At one point I said that I couldn't see myself using an iPad. I went ahead and bought one anyway, the 16 gig 3G. I bought an Apple case, a bunch of apps, games and a month of wireless. But it turns out I was right. I really don't use it very much. I have to force myself. Oh well, it's pretty and all but not that useful. I also have an iMac which I use all the time. And an iPhone for on the go. How do other people use it?
  • Reply 22 of 66
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As friends and relatives know I am a Mac guy they are all asking me what I think of iPad, even the die hard PC users! The desire to own one glows in their eyes lol.

I see Mac Rumors is reporting a possible new iPad being field tested!

That sums it up pretty well actually.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

At one point I said that I couldn't see myself using an iPad. I went ahead and bought one anyway, the 16 gig 3G. I bought an Apple case, a bunch of apps, games and a month of wireless. But it turns out I was right. I really don't use it very much. I have to force myself. Oh well, it's pretty and all but not that useful. I also have an iMac which I use all the time. And an iPhone for on the go. How do other people use it?

Want to surf the web, watch YouTube, check your email, play casual games, watch BBC iPlayer/netflix/hulu, listen to music or IM with your friends? Why boot your iMac?

EDIT: unless you need to use Photoshop or other desktop OS apps just use your iPad.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

I am looking for something more advanced... just like Aperture or full Photoshop. I guess netbook would work better anyway.

Good luck.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The tablet running Linux sounds interesting... I'd drop the cash for something running that or Web OS.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The tablet running Linux sounds interesting... I'd drop the cash for something running that or Web OS.

I second that.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

What's the pricing difference though? To me most average notebooks are still a few hundred cheaper than the iPad.

It doesn't appear that the price difference matters. Netbooks are cheaper than iPads and PC manufacturers saw demand weakening even before the iPad's debut.

The netbook market had plateaued and even a more expensive option like the iPad appears to be eating away market share. Netbooks have always exhibited a very high rate of customer returns which shows that many people simply aren't happy with them regardless of the price.

That said, there will always be a small market that find netbooks useful for a limited set of tasks. The fact that performance increases and yet there is less interest in netbooks isn't a particularly ringing endorsement from Joe Consumer though.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It doesn't appear that the price difference matters. Netbooks are cheaper than iPads and PC manufacturers saw demand weakening even before the iPad's debut.

The netbook market had plateaued and even a more expensive option like the iPad appears to be eating away market share. Netbooks have always exhibited a very high rate of customer returns which shows that many people simply aren't happy with them regardless of the price.

That said, there will always be a small market that find netbooks useful for a limited set of tasks. The fact that performance increases and yet there is less interest in netbooks isn't a particularly ringing endorsement from Joe Consumer though.

I think you're right... in fact you've made two good points it's not about the cheapest possible price and it's definitely not about the performance and specs. If it does the job well at a fair price that is what the consumer wants.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Want to surf the web, watch YouTube, check your email, play casual games, watch BBC iPlayer/netflix/hulu, listen to music or IM with your friends? Why boot your iMac?

iMac never shuts down only sleeps. Yeah I know I am wasting energy, maybe, but I have better luck just letting it run rather than booting up and shutting down. I think it is less prone to hardware failure, although I don't have any evidence to support that.

But about the iPad, I find it difficult to hold for a long period of time. My wrist gets sore and on the lap is the wrong angle.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    vexorgvexorg Posts: 69member
    Quote:

I work out of the house and spend the work day in front of my MBP 17" which is hooked up to 3 monitors. That is located in my home office upstairs.

That being said, once the day is done, I seldom use the MBP. I do have a 21" iMac downstairs that my wife uses, but I seldom do much on it.

For the most part, I use the iPad for most non-work activities unless there is something that I can't do on the iPad.

When it came out I bought 1 64 GB wifi model which my older son claimed. (He lives 60 miles away in a college town while going to school). I was pretty doubtful about it at the time, and didn't think we'd get much use out of it since after all we have 2 iMacs and one MBP in the house.

I was wrong. Ended up getting a 2nd iPad and my younger high school age son and I use it all the time - him mostly for games, and me mostly for reading news and books. I like that I can take it bed with me - if the young 'un hasn't beaten me to it.

My wife uses her iMac for web-surfing and email, but has no interest in either iPhones or iPads.

We also have 3 iPhones - 1 iPhone 4, 1 3GS, 1 3G. I guess you can call us fanbois.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Well I know I've shifted all my casual internet/email/YouTube routine from my mbp to my iPad since i got it. That includes picking it up at least 5 times a day to do a quick round of my favorite websites and a quick e-mail check, for starters. Then there's the looking up of all kinds of stuff: wikipedia, imdb, english dictionary (I'm not a native speaker but I read a lot of english books), tv guide. I used to do some of these on my laptop if it was on, or on standby, or just forgot about it when it was turned off. The iPad made the internet almost instantly accessible for me which makes it worthwhile to quickly lookup stuff, show someone a youtube video, or stay up to date on 10 different sites. Last but not least I use it a lot to ssh into my home server to do maintenance and monitoring stuff. None of all this is critical and none of it is impossible on a laptop or desktop (I also have an iMac for development stuff), but all of it is much faster and more enjoyable than having to boot my computer, sit down, use it for 5 minutes, then shut it down again. The iPad is literally within an arms reach most of the time.

I don't use the iPad a lot for games or other very specific stuff because the apps are still a bit lacking, but for all the other stuff I do online it's more accessible than a laptop and more convenient than a phone. For me, the iPad definitely found its use, in fact I'm typing all this on it :-)
  • Reply 32 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Really? Are you buying Christmas presents in August? I mean, I know my wife is. She buys all year long. But I can't believe the majority are already in holiday buying mode.

Your timing is off a bit.

First, they're talking about the third quarter - which means anything before Sept 30 counts.

Second, they're talking about shipments - and since the Christmas season starts around Columbus Day, that means systems shipped in September.

Also, remember that the third quarter includes back to school.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

The problem is netbooks have been on the decline for well over a year now. The iPad may be a contributing factor, but this was bound to happen regardless. The effect netbooks have on the market is driving down the cost of full fledged PCs. Notebooks have come so far down in price, they're able to compete at a $400-600 level while maintaining a "full-sized" notebook performance compared to a limited-performing netbook.

Its not like ASUS is hurting, however. They will continue to sell machines and do well to be within the top 5 PC makers in the world. Besides, I think all of these manufacturers would love to get out of the netbook game. Margins are so low on the components and builds that they almost make no money selling them.

I've always thought of netbooks as being a bad idea all around. Now, there may be good netbooks out there, but the ones I have seen are crappy. Even ones by name brand manufacturers such as Dell and HP.

I have had a number of friend who have bought these largely because they were cheap had unreal expectations and were disappointed. The manufacturers have very low margins, and to make matters worse it cannibalizes some of their more profitable notebook sales. What do they get for that trouble? A diluted brand name from the customers who typically don't think about how little they paid, but how crappy the machine is.

I'm not sure that companies like Asus are not hurting. Yes, they sell lots of computers, but their profit margin is in the 3½ % range. Not much room for error.

Have you seen people you know switch to Apple products? I have. Even long time Windows users who would not have considered it just a few years ago and buying iPhones and iPads in droves. I think that partly Apple has executed very well, making lovely products, but partly that PC makers in the race for the bottom have diluted the value of their own brandnames by putting out cheap low quality products.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:

iMac never shuts down only sleeps. Yeah I know I am wasting energy, maybe, but I have better luck just letting it run rather than booting up and shutting down. I think it is less prone to hardware failure, although I don't have any evidence to support that.

But about the iPad, I find it difficult to hold for a long period of time. My wrist gets sore and on the lap is the wrong angle.

You need a case, if you don't already have one. I find the Apple's case dramatically improve my enjoyment of holding the iPad than when it's bare.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    As long as it is not running Android. Slap me if you want but Android ruins Linux.

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Congrats Apple. With that said, I feel for the early adopters when they release the iPad 2 with a webcam and probably more memory and possibly more hhd space will be annoyed at buying a product that will be so far behind in one year or less (iPhone > iPhone 3G), but those are pains of buying first gen I guess. Webcam, more memory and hdd space - that's what I'm waiting for.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Congrats Apple. With that said, I feel for the early adopters when they release the iPad 2 with a webcam and probably more memory and possibly more hhd space will be annoyed at buying a product that will be so far behind in one year or less (iPhone > iPhone 3G), but those are pains of buying first gen I guess. Webcam, more memory and hdd space - that's what I'm waiting for.

Why? Of course there will be a new model coming out next year. There always is. It may have more features that add on to the current model. Sure. One expects that. Not a big deal. By the time the new model comes out, early adopters will have had theirs for a year.

Does the new model do something so compelling that one has to upgrade? Maybe, maybe not. One can upgrade or just stay with what you have.

The one year cycle is not a bad thing.

I feel for the guys who buy Android phones, which are topped 3 weeks later. And they have to hope that the manufacturer does not decide to blow off OS f/w updates for the phone you have because they have so many new models that they are working on that take priority over something they have already gotten their money from, and has essentially gone end of life.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

I heard someone on office elevator who was uncomfortable with large laptop so I told her that she may need a netbook and she said: "I need my iPad!". So I asked her: "So what productivity applications can you run on iPad?". I heard lowered voice: "You are right, I need a netbook". Even if Apple comes up with MobileMe/Internet document and productivity suit, it will take a lot of time to be fully featured and working the way one needs to work while in office or on the road. No "basics only" accepted here.

Maybe she had not heard about iWork. Maybe you haven't heard about it either.

Quote:

On top of that: can you really upload your pictures to storage and manage them with iPad? Really? I am looking for something more advanced... just like Aperture or full Photoshop. I guess netbook would work better anyway.

Yes, really. Of course you can always come up with a personal definition of "storage and manage" that blows out just about anything short of a high end desktop, but if the comparison is a fair one, then the answer is yes.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

I've always thought of netbooks as being a bad idea all around. Now, there may be good netbooks out there, but the ones I have seen are crappy. Even ones by name brand manufacturers such as Dell and HP.

I have had a number of friend who have bought these largely because they were cheap had unreal expectations and were disappointed. The manufacturers have very low margins, and to make matters worse it cannibalizes some of their more profitable notebook sales. What do they get for that trouble? A diluted brand name from the customers who typically don't think about how little they paid, but how crappy the machine is.

I'm not sure that companies like Asus are not hurting. Yes, they sell lots of computers, but their profit margin is in the 3½ % range. Not much room for error.

Have you seen people you know switch to Apple products? I have. Even long time Windows users who would not have considered it just a few years ago and buying iPhones and iPads in droves. I think that partly Apple has executed very well, making lovely products, but partly that PC makers in the race for the bottom have diluted the value of their own brandnames by putting out cheap low quality products.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree.

The only part I disagree with is the idea that cheap notebooks 'diluted' the value of their brand names. People don't go, "Man, this Mini 10v makes me never want to buy a Dell again." No, they say "Man, this netbook sucks. I'm going to get a real computer instead." I think the average consumer doesn't care who made the netbook, only that they realized perhaps it wasn't for them or they should have saved up and bought something with a bit more power.

Me? I've owned an iPhone for two years (though I'm switching to the Droid X soon), and thought about getting a 13" MacBook Pro. But I realized that I could save a good $700 and buy a really nice, gamer-friendly Windows 7 laptop and be just as happy with it. They have a nice screen, tons of storage space, better-than-average battery life, and still cheaper than a 64gb iPad.

So perhaps ASUS is feeling competition from the iPad in there netbook sales, but frankly speaking, if you bought an iPad, you already either don't want a netbook or were disappointed by one. Its not even in the same market or category, really, given the price difference.

I feel people are just fed up with low-performing, cheap computers. They want a real computer instead. That's hurt netbooks more than anything in the last two years. The iPad is just the icing on the cake.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julesburt View Post

Disclaimer - I'm an Apple fan. Mac's iPhones, iPads etc...

Surely though some of these PC Netbook are powered just fine?? I have a couple of blogger friends who use them (mainly in wifi free cafe's) to produce video blogs, video uploads / edits etc...and they also use the built in camera for creating some of these video blogs too...

I never hear them complaining that their Netbooks are underpowered etc...and they can actually import and edit video - unlike me on the iPad! Perhaps they didn't just spend $500 though??

Are all netbooks garbage really - if you don't mind the small form factor?

I think netbooks are OK for ultra portable computers. I have seen and worked with couple and they did all the usual tasks fine. Features like native DivX/XviD playback, big HDD, capability to copy photos/videos from camera etc, in my eyes, puts them in completely different category from iPad and Android tablets.

I don't even think competition from iPad is hurting them. There is natural saturation of that market segment - when you look at typical netbooks, they haven't changed much once they evolved from 7 to 10" and from Celeron to Atom... which is reducing reasons for netbook upgrade/replacement to virtually ZERO. Plus, more and more brands are coming out with their offerings - I have recently seen Viewsonic netbooks, for example.

Additionally, part of netbook market is shifting to ULV market. ULV Core 2 duo netbooks, while more expensive and bigger (11 - 13" usually) are actually the only upgrade alternative for people who need to replace their netbooks for something stronger yet still highly portable.

And finally - I think Asus is coming out with a couple of tablets for this holiday's season? Others will follow. Dell Streak is already out and, according to Anandtech.com, screen size is just about right, Android 1.6 being major if not the only let-down for this device (which Froyo update should sort out nicely).

Bottom line - really big number of reasons for netbook market to slow down, iPad maybe being one of them but hardly the one. However, this is Apple Insider - so this reasoning is sort of understandable