Rumors of new 7-inch iPad from Apple persist

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

The current iPad is absolutely too heavy to use while laying on your back on a bed/couch and trying to read a book. A smaller and/or lighter iPad would be much appreciated.

And comparing the weight of an iPad to a laptop is a moot point, because you don't lay on your back and try to hold a laptop above you to read something.

You're trying to hold it over your head? Why?I read from the iPad in bed almost every night. I have never thought it was too heavy, and I'm by no means a weightlifter. Maybe because I'm used to reading books, which weight about the same? I don't know -- criticisms like this are puzzling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

type in "iPad too heavy" into a google search and see what comes up.

Huffington Post

PC World

CNet Reviews

Business Insider

There are a lot of people complaining about the weight. Everyone I know who owns one has "mentioned" that it is on the heavy side.

Most people are surprised at the weight when you hand it to them, but that's not the same as it being too heavy. A plastic case would be lighter, but do you really want plastic instead of aluminum?
  • Reply 42 of 137
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If I was making the 7 inch iPad, it would ship it with anti-glare display and some lighting trickery where you can switch it to grey-scale and back. Drop the price to $399 perhaps.
  • Reply 43 of 137
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

there are so many great reasons to have a 7" screen I shouldn't even have to mention any (cheaper starting price, retail sales, lighter, pocketable, WOMEN, CHILDREN, .........).

So women are weak? How is a 7" tablet easily pocketable? Maybe if I'm wearing cargo shorts, but then it would bounce against my leg constantly. When we go to the Apple store my 4 year old happily goes over to the iPad table picks it up and starts playing Plants vs Zombies. She doesn't seem to be struggling with the weight. Then again, she eats green vegetables and salad. Go figure.
  • Reply 44 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

So women are weak? How is a 7" tablet easily pocketable? Maybe if I'm wearing cargo shorts, but then it would bounce against my leg constantly. When we go to the Apple store my 4 year old happily goes over to the iPad table picks it up and starts playing Plants vs Zombies. She doesn't seem to be struggling with the weight. Then again, she eats green vegetables and salad. Go figure.

Yes women are weak, that's exactly what I said. But if you want to actually get technical, then yes, women are physically weaker then men on average.

p.s. I can't believe you make your kid eat green vegetables and salad, you must be proud of her
  • Reply 45 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

1 - There is not a demand for smaller tablet devices - there is a demand for smaller e-readers. The iPad is NOT in the same category as a kindle or nook. It has created and defined it's own category entirely. "Never, ever forget that."

2 - Since when have sales been inhibited in ANY way, whatsoever?

3 - The low $499 entry point for the iPad shocked (and pleased) everyone. Price is not an issue (see #2, above). Just like Apple "doesn't know how" to make a $500 laptop that isn't a piece of junk, it also "doesn't know how" to make a $250 tablet that isn't a piece of junk.

4 - Don't point out that the real world isn't represented by a bunch of techblog commenters, then go and say that Apple should listen to those same people since they're the ones clamoring for a different sized tablet. Get real. "Joe Consumer" has ALREADY weighed in on the iPad, and he is very, very happy. "NEVER, EVER FORGET THAT."

then people like me will just buy a kindle and apple loses a sale that they otherwise would have. i have used the ipad and its too big and heavy and expensive for ereading and to 'weak' for 'real' work. imo.
  • Reply 46 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Check out my post at very start of thread. iOS is headed for far more than even 7". You are 100% correct though, people are unbelievably myopic or perhaps blinkered would be closer, when it comes to technology and especially to change.

Oh, yes, I enjoyed reading that a lot. I too am chomping at the bit anticipating what apple is going to do with the amazing foundation they are creating. I really want to be able to start my steamer from my iPhone when I get off work and have some rice, fish and veggies ready to eat when I get back. I'm especially excited about the iOS TV possibilities, particularly for the apps. And just to bring it back to the iPad, a smaller form factor would get developers started on an interface that's even more friendly to the longer viewing distance of a TV.
  • Reply 47 of 137
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

Yes women are weak, that's exactly what I said. But if you want to actually get technical, then yes, women are physically weaker then men on average.

p.s. I can't believe you make your kid eat green vegetables and salad, you must be proud of her

Yes I'm aware that women tend to have less muscle mass than men, but you had the weight concern right before kids and women, so it looked like you were tying those aspects together.

Usually I don't have to make her. She's almost 5 and her sister is almost 2 1/2. They both love salad (so long as they have ranch) and certain vegetables just disappear. Her sister loves green beans and spinach.
  • Reply 48 of 137
    I agree the current iPad is too big and heavy. That's why I took mine back and bought an iPhone 4.

The iPhone 4 makes the iPad look obsolete.

I really don't get the iPad at all. It's just a big iPod Touch with no phone, no camera.
  • Reply 49 of 137
    Speaking of iPads...These guys are giving away a 16GB WiFi iPad everyday until Aug. 25:

http://www.diabetescare.net/flash_article.asp?id=444951
  • Reply 50 of 137
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    This rumor is highly unlikely as Apple asked developers to natively size their applications for the iPad's 9.7" screen. Are they going to ask them to do it again for a 7"? I doubt it.
  • Reply 51 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

This could only lead to fragmentation:

480 by 320 iPhones/iPod touches

960 by 640 iPhone

9.7" iPad

7" iPad

Too many devices with different resolutions is not good! Just look at the android market to see that for yourself.

Exactly. I remember my family's first TV! It was about the size of a microwave oven with a Black & White 7" screen, and 13 (count 'em) push-button channels (including channel 1).

Too bad the industry didn't standardize on these little beauties...

• Reply 52 of 137
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Heck, the Dell Streak is 7.7 oz. and it does just about the same as the iPad.

See, when you come out with nonsense like this, you lose any credibility you might have had.
  • Reply 53 of 137
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

This could only lead to fragmentation:

480 by 320 iPhones/iPod touches

960 by 640 iPhone

9.7" iPad

7" iPad

Too many devices with different resolutions is not good! Just look at the android market to see that for yourself.

Don't computers, TVs come in different sizes too? Even the Kindle comes in two sizes now. So, why not the iPad? IN fact, there could be several sizes, just like the iPods. The fill specific needs and fucntions. The issue of diferent resolution does not seem to be a problem. Small and very big computers can view the same sites. It is up to the company to include scaling features.

The Macs have those (Check your System Preferences). Even the images seem to be properly proprotioned, The MacBook Pto have twelve (12) variants of these to fit all sorts of WxH ratios, including extended. and did not encounter any funny mirror image effects

Similarly, webstes should be configured to adjust to different sizes. Knowing this, people creating websites must ensure that the images are optimized so that there is not too much degradation in the image rasolution, even with very large screens. Screen image optimization creates such images, and yet the "size" of the image files need not be in M

I tied the iWorks figures creation in the "Numbers", and you can expand or contract the resulting graph images with no effect in quality of the image.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

The iPad is the perfect size. Why in the world would Apple make something the wrong size? I don't believe this rumor.

Have you ever met a UPS or Fedex messenger,or physicians, researchers with big lab coat pockets, but not as big as what you now call the "perfect" size of the iPad?

There are many potential applications of the iPad. the size must similarly adjust, if not also for convenience of the user.

CGC
  • Reply 54 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not believing this rumour yet either, but not for reasons of the size.

An iPad this size could easily be an "iPad Pro." A tablet for doing work on instead of watching movies and reading magazines. The smaller form factor would be necessary for that.

Depends on what types of "work" you want to accomplish. Many manipulations would benefit from more screen real estate and/or the larger size-- Things like:

-- on-the-spot picture or video editing

-- on-the-spot tele-strating of events

-- collaborative proofing of video post production

-- map kiosks- "You are Here, where do you want to go"

-- orchestra music stand sheet music presentations

-- story boarding, white-boarding, flowcharting

-- tele-conferncing / FaceTime

-- larger work areas for Keynote, Numbers, Pages

-- larger painting, drawing, sketching area

-- larger area and more cameras displayed for remote security application

... to name a few!

• Reply 55 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Exactly. I remember my family's first TV! It was about the size of a microwave oven with a Black & White 7" screen, and 13 (count 'em) push-button channels (including channel 1).

I remember the TVs with the round picture tubes. What about those plastic magnifier lens?
  • Reply 56 of 137
    Quote:

1 - There is not a demand for smaller tablet devices - there is a demand for smaller e-readers. The iPad is NOT in the same category as a kindle or nook. It has created and defined it's own category entirely. "Never, ever forget that."

3 - The low $499 entry point for the iPad shocked (and pleased) everyone. Price is not an issue (see #2, above). Just like Apple "doesn't know how" to make a $500 laptop that isn't a piece of junk, it also "doesn't know how" to make a $250 tablet that isn't a piece of junk.

4 - Don't point out that the real world isn't represented by a bunch of techblog commenters, then go and say that Apple should listen to those same people since they're the ones clamoring for a different sized tablet. Get real. "Joe Consumer" has ALREADY weighed in on the iPad, and he is very, very happy. "NEVER, EVER FORGET THAT."

Ahahaha.

When Apple ships their 7" iPad, they will probably sell more of them than the 9.7" model in the long run.

Again, you should go read the studies about iPad pricing, who is buying this device, and purchase hesitancy due to pricing.

Historically, the larger and more capacious model has not been the top seller concerning Apple notebooks and iPods. Never, ever forget that.
  • Reply 57 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

In short the 7" iPad would be no more portable than the current iPad yet be less enjoyable to use. Apple can't even keep up with demand for the 9.7" model so killing that particular set-up would be incredibly dumb. Adding a 7" model would be rather pointless.

Ahh... for portability, the 7" form factor would be about half the size and easily fit in large pockets (cargo pants, cargo shorts, jackets), camera bags, and especially most women's purses!

• Reply 58 of 137
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Work? People actually buy gadgets/toys with work in mind? Really?

I have the current iPad, but I would lay down cash for a 7" iPad in a heartbeat. Not because I need it or because it's lighter(lol), but because I want to.
  • Reply 59 of 137
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

1. Didn't many experts, especially bloggers, claim that there was no market foe the iPad also? Thus, many tech experts predicted it will fail?

I remember TechStud saying that he did not know anyone who woould want an iPad. So, I countered, he must not have many friends.:

For the same reason that you stated, teh iPad is not the same as the Kindle -- because is multifunctional -- then so must the size of the iPad adjust optimally to such multifunctions, as I courntered in prior post.

By the way, where is the survey that indicates there is no demand for it? How can theey even survey more objectively, until the product is already out?

3. The iPod Touch is not a piece of junk either, and cost only $199 entry, with no subsidy from the phone companies. Just like the iPhone, and the iPoad prior to it, the iPad prices will go down. It is called "economy of scale",

And, wheere in the world did people think that 9.7" is the perfect size? For what? I would not mind a larger iPad, also? Others urely may want slightly larger iPad, either for convenience or for some specific applications.

CGC
  • Reply 60 of 137
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Ah-haaa!

At last... I will be vindicated!

Prior to the introduction of the iPad, I always said it would be the size of a single folded sheet of paper. Just large enough so that people could still "palm" the device in one hand and "touch" with the other.

Hey, I love the iPad, but it actually is too large and (more importantly) heavy for my taste. But that's definitely just my own experience of it.

VENGEANCE IS MINE!!