Liquidmetal created SIM ejector tool for Apple's iPhone, iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

What an odd use for a new supermetal. 99+% of them will be thrown away without ever being touched. I wonder if I can find my old iPhone box and see this thing. It does say something about Apple's attention to detail though.

Yeah, but as a *test* of a new super-metal to see how sturdy it is and if the properties change over a few years or so while you are thinking of buying the rights to it ... it makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    jingojingo Posts: 118member
    I call Bullsh*t on the comment "practically unbendable by hand unless you want to hurt or cut your fingers." I've just grabbed hold of my SIM ejector tool that came with my (UK) iPhone 4 and I've managed to bend it EASILY by hand (and my fingers are definitely not bleeding). Either I'm Superman (not according to my wife) or this metal IS bendable.

Since the tool is now curved and probably no longer suitable for purpose, I want compensation for the misrepresentation - should be worth at least a couple of mill in a US court - or probably zilch in a British one...
  • Reply 23 of 67
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Would be sick if they made a Mac Pro case out of this - the all new, virtually indestructible Mac Pro.

Macbook Air would be even sicker. THey could make it even thinner. Macbook air - magically light, amazingly tough.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Where is the story about LiquidMetal being used to create the next iPhone antenna? That story is on IntoMobile's website since yesterday. That seems the bigger story to me, who cares about a SIM card ejector - the LM antenna could be groundbreaking if true which I would imagine it is. Apple is not spending millions for only some ejector.

IntoMobile LiquidMetal iPhone antenna article:

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/08/14...al-technology/
  • Reply 25 of 67
    I also say bs to the non bendable comment. I've been able to bend them and even bend it back
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Yes, the "unbendable" claim is total crap. Just managed to easily bend mine and then flatten it again using my fingers. Not as bendable as a paperclip, but eminently doable.

Maybe the firm should rename as CrippleMetal (i.e. only cripples can't bend it).

Sensitive, I know...

a
  • Reply 27 of 67
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Maybe the firm should rename as CrippleMetal (i.e. only cripples can't bend it).

So this is a school boy thread judging by the posts. Maybe not quite Cretin's Law but cretinous nonetheless. And you asterion are an idiot. Really.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Wow, they were really put to the test when charged with creating the SIM ejector tool. Since my iPhone4 didn't ship with one of these marvels of engineering, I was forced to develop my own: a paperclip.

I don't get why iPhone 4 didn't ship with this tool in the US.. I'm in Canada and mine came with one.. Does anyone know the reason for this??
  • Reply 29 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It was pretty rigid for such a thin piece of metal. I just assumed hardened steel finished with chromium.

Does anyone know the RF variances and weight compared to other metals like steel and aluminum?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

My guess is Apple is using the metal to make an Iron Man suit for Jonathan Ives. :-)

We need mass produced replacement organs first. Steve may now have an interest in artificial organs after waiting for a donor that might not have arrived in time.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

I call Bullsh*t on the comment "practically unbendable by hand unless you want to hurt or cut your fingers." I've just grabbed hold of my SIM ejector tool that came with my (UK) iPhone 4 and I've managed to bend it EASILY by hand (and my fingers are definitely not bleeding). Either I'm Superman (not according to my wife) or this metal IS bendable.

Since the tool is now curved and probably no longer suitable for purpose, I want compensation for the misrepresentation - should be worth at least a couple of mill in a US court - or probably zilch in a British one...

From what I have read, not all of them are liquid metal - some of them are normal.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

Lighter, thinner, stronger laptops, ipads, and iphones... who needs em, right? cause those are never dropped or carried around

Yes, the chassis is clearly the vulnerable part in a Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

I thought my 3G didn't come with the tool for years until I got my iPhone 4 and saw where it was cunningly placed...

Weird that they don't ship the tool with iPhone 4 in the US, but do elsewhere? Why?

And why have something so over engineered in the first place? Most people will use it once, maybe twice...On the other hand, it's nice to see the use of quality materials instead of monkey metal and squeaky plastics in my kit I suppose?

I'm assuming it was to test it before they invested. If the metal was no good, I'm sure a bunch of people complaining the tool bent out of shape when they tried to eject their SIM wouldn't be a big deal... realistically most people would only need the tool once anyways when they first insert their SIM.

On the other hand, testing it on say the entire backside of the iPad, only to find out it cracks at certain temperatures or something would be much more devistating..
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

Weird that they don't ship the tool with iPhone 4 in the US, but do elsewhere? Why?

Could be something to do with the fact that in other countries there are multiple carriers and you don't want stock that's limited to a single supplier
  • Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rorybalmer View Post

I don't get why iPhone 4 didn't ship with this tool in the US.. I'm in Canada and mine came with one.. Does anyone know the reason for this??

Simple, we here stateside are locked into a single carrier, there shouldn't be a need for us to ever remove the sim card. At least from Apple & AT&T's perspective...

Dim
  • Reply 35 of 67
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I didn't get any ejector tool with my old iPhone 3G.

Why is Apple in bed with this company? Are they planning to make future iPhones with metal backs again? Did someone in the company finally realize making a phone completely out of glass was not a great idea?

The frames of devices could use stronger materials. The iPhone 4's internal frame and antenna is made of metal. Plus, the obvious is a replacement material for the Macbooks as they have to be machined out of a solid block of aluminum. With liquid metal the bodies of the Macbooks can be cast.
  • Reply 36 of 67
    well, I went and hunted mine down cuz I wanted to see how strong it was.

its pretty dang strong. with my fingers I couldn?t cause any real damage to it.

so I put it in a crack and tried to see how far it would bend and it bent pretty far and then snapped with a spark kinda like a sparkler. Pretty crazy.

but I could definitely tell it wasn?t some normal metal.

so satisfying to break "space technology"
  • Reply 37 of 67
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I just pulled out my ejector tool, and the damn thing morphed into a policeman!

Fortunately I live right next to an iron-casting foundry.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I purchased a carrier unlocked iPhone 4. It came with the clip. I didn't even know it was there, it was only when I realized I didn't have a paper clip that I dug through the package and found it. I had the predicatble "Oh, Apple." reaction.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

The frames of devices could use stronger materials. The iPhone 4's internal frame and antenna is made of metal. Plus, the obvious is a replacement material for the Macbooks as they have to be machined out of a solid block of aluminum. With liquid metal the bodies of the Macbooks can be cast.

Casting is certainly cheaper than machining, but does any one know the cost of the material that will go into the casting? What is the largest size cast that LmT have done--couldn't find anything on their web site about size.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    A sim ejector tool? I don't remember seeing this in my or my wife's 3Gs box. Not that I need one, but now I'm curious if I got one and just missed it.