Apple already testing NFC-enabled iPhone prototypes - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Following the news that Apple recently hired an expert on near field communications, a new rumor suggests that the company is already testing a prototype iPhone that could be used for short-range wireless activities such as making in-store transactions.

Citing unnamed sources, TechCrunch reported Tuesdsay that Apple has already built NFC-enabled iPhone prototypes using hardware from NXP Semiconductor. The report alleged that Apple is already testing mobile payments for use in a future iPhone.

"The existence of prototypes would almost surely suggest that Apple will include NFC in iPhone 5, or whatever Apple decides to call its next iPhone," author Steve Cheney wrote. The report also speculates that NFC could be used for high-speed wireless data transfers and proximity-based features between compatible Apple devices.

This week, it was revealed that Apple hired Benjamin Vigier, who has been working with NFC technology since 2004. His previous role was project manager for mobile wallet, payment and NFC at mFoundry, a company that specializes in mobile payments.

Vigier's official title at Apple is product manager of mobile commerce.

Support for RFID or a number of other NFC technologies could allow a variety of "touchless" technologies, ranging from swipe payments where an iPhone could be used to pay for items at checkout, or sensing of information from kiosks and objects.

Apple's behind-the-scenes interest in NFC is well established, and has turned up in numerous patent applications filed by the company. A recent filing from July described a system that would allow users to rely on NFC functionality in the iPhone to research products and quickly find helpful information, such as an instruction manual.

Last year, reports suggested that Apple had tested Radio Frequency Identification, or RFID, in prototype iPhones. The technology allows a device to sense embedded chips in nearby objects without making direct contact or without using visible light, like a barcode reader.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Just another way to encourage us to spend our money quickly, whenever and wherever.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Once Iphones can be used for financial transactions, can Apple banking be far behind?
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Is this really much different from an RFID/NFC chip implanted in your body? I see Apple Store Big Brother NFC RFID SPY CHIP PROTESTS and PICKETING Coming! Don't think I am kidding... Has Steve Jobs sold-out to the NWO?

• Reply 4 of 29
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following the news that Apple recently hired an expert on near field communications, a new rumor suggests that the company is already testing a prototype iPhone that could be used for short-range wireless activities such as making in-store transactions.

prototype, eh? is that jason chen i see in the corner?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Once Iphones can be used for financial transactions, can Apple banking be far behind?

Maybe, maybe not.

Apple is a hardware company. They use content and services to drive sales of their high-margin hardware. How do you envision that a retail banking arm would help them drive hardware sales and differentiate them from their competitors? Note that this would probably have to be a worldwide operation, not just something limited to the United States.

What would motivate Apple to set up an entirely different business with much different regulations and practices?
  • Reply 6 of 29
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    A korean friend of mine was telling me about this a good 3 - 4 years ago, and it's been on their market even earlier. They just bring their phone next to the register and it scans it. He also said that that there is some kind of national online number that is issued by the government and each person has only one. When you register online for any site you have to type that in, and it is used on these phones as well.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    It's BS. The technology was probably ready for iPhone 4 but Apple held out on us just so they could add something new to next year's iPhone 4S or whatever they call it.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Is Apple becoming the new IBM?!:

"Lexmark was originally a division of IBM, creators of the patented "person tracking unit." IBM's patent describes using spychips in people's clothes and personal belongings to track and monitor them in shopping malls, libraries, museums, sports arenas, elevators, and even restrooms."

http://www.spychips.com/protest/walm...printer-1.html

What about RFID cancer risks?! RFID/NFC is known to be a cancer cause in pets:

http://www.antichips.com/cancer/index.html

Just say
  • Reply 9 of 29
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    I love the doom-sayers. In japan almost every phone is able to pay bills and make purchases it has nothing to do with big brother and everything to do with a fast easy way to take care of business.

When the government get's rid of money all together then you can start to worry a bit more.

Keep on Keepin' on chickenlittles
  • Reply 10 of 29
    this plays into a fantasy i had....about an itunes record store....like the old ones. I could go in, check out new releases, listen to samples with headphones and then buy an album or track by having it bleeped (for lack of a better term) to my iphone. I like itunes alot...but I couldnt tell you how many great bands I heard just by being in the record store browsing in the 90's....and some chosen becuase they are on a label that features the music I like or just because of the artwork.....I miss those days....I really feel like thats the missing piece to music buying being an enjoyable experience....
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I just hope they start talking to Boris Johnson and Transport for London about getting this linked to my Oyster swipe-card, or even the new cycle hire scheme.

Awesome...
  • Reply 12 of 29
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 397member
    Did it ever occur to you that iPhone can already be tracked accurately via GPS? The NFC reader technology here allows the phone to read other nearby objects, and to communicate with something like a cash register using a very close proximity link. There is nothing in this technology that takes away any more privacy than you've already lost by using a cell phone.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Deductive reasoning and logical thinking are not well cherished attributes in this forum.

Also, you would fit in better with the dim-witted xenophobes if you forgot that the rest of the world exists when the World Cup or the Olympics aren't on TV. Remember, if it doesn't exist in the United States, it doesn't exist, period. When you discuss the iPhone, you must only focus on the Apple-AT&T relationship.

Be as narrow-minded and myopic as possible. Picture yourself at the center of the universe. Ignore all other usage cases. Yours is the only one with any validity. Apple is designing devices only for you, not for the overall marketplace and certainly not for Joe Consumer. They have zero obligations to their shareholders, it's all about pleasing you.

• Reply 14 of 29
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What about RFID cancer risks?! RFID/NFC is known to be a cancer cause in pets. Just say

And what on gods green earth leads you to believe cancer risk has ever been a sticking point with corporations OR governments when it come marketing to the general public? I'm living... Err dying proof that it doesn't mean a gosh darn thing.. So long as the government is getting it's vig they'll turn a blind eye again and again.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ridikulas View Post

It's BS. The technology was probably ready for iPhone 4 but Apple held out on us just so they could add something new to next year's iPhone 4S or whatever they call it.

I disagree. The RFID chipay have been ready but Apple doesn't release tech until they have a solution ready (e.g. FaceTime). They've got numerous patents relating to this tech and they won't release it until it's ready.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

What about RFID cancer risks?! RFID/NFC is known to be a cancer cause in pets:

http://www.antichips.com/cancer/index.html

Just say

They also said the same things about cellphones and there is no conclusive opinion about this since it's been around for such a short time. If you feel this way I suggest you stay away from cell phones altogether.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    And what freedom loving American wants 1984 care of Apple RFID?! The people will NEVER be ready for 1984.

But the lemmings and sheep -- well that's a different story -- they are the reason this country is in the mess it is in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I disagree. The RFID chipay have been ready but Apple doesn't release tech until they have a solution ready (e.g. FaceTime). They've got numerous patents relating to this tech and they won't release it until it's ready.

• Reply 18 of 29
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I'm confused why people are so pissed about this? We have those chips in our credit cards and Chicago CTA cards and our work badges. No one is sticking these things inside of you. They will go on your phone and make your phone your credit card. I don't see why I would oppose this.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I don't think Apple would release one end of a technology without the other end being ready. FaceTime is a perfect example, in which Apple didn't just arbitrarily throw a front-facing camera on the phone without the accompanying software being ready.

Maybe Apple provides the POP hardware and/or software to retailers that works with the new iPhone. I doubt they'd just throw the NFC-enable iPhones into the wild and hope everything sorts itself out.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I'm confused why people are so pissed about this? We have those chips in our credit cards and Chicago CTA cards and our work badges. No one is sticking these things inside of you. They will go on your phone and make your phone your credit card. I don't see why I would oppose this.

Some commenters here have limited knowledge or experience with such technology or aren't aware of its prevalence, admittedly rather limited here in the United States yet much better adopted abroad.

Some of it has to do with ignorance, some with narrow-mindedness, some with poor logic, and some with a lack of a global worldview.

I'm willing to guess that most of these "furious" commenters have done little travel outside of their state of residence and have a very limited set of experiences from which they draw upon. By no means does AppleInsider have a monopoly on these numbskulls. Sadly, their ilk are quite prevalent in most general technology sites.

As a matter of fact, AppleInsider seems to have a slightly higher level of commenters than most tech sites I read although I fear that may be changing.