Another alleged next-gen iPod touch part has forward camera space

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Another front panel claimed to be a component for Apple's forthcoming fourth-generation iPod touch has surfaced online, again showing a space for a front-facing camera.



The component on sale at Taobao, a Chinese online store, was first reported on by MIC Gadget. Like previous pictures that surfaced online, it shows a hole above the LCD display that would allow for a forward-facing camera.



Like the last part pictured, the purported iPod touch front panel is labeled "Apple (c) 2010." It is being sold for 650 Chinese Yuan, or $95 U.S. dollars.



The photos provide more evidence for the assumption that the upcoming iPod touch refresh, expected to be unveiled at Apple's annual media-centric event in September, will sport two cameras like the iPhone 4. The fourth-generation iPod touch is rumored to become the second device from Apple to support the open FaceTime standard for video chat.



Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said earlier this summer that his company will ship tens of millions of devices compatible with FaceTime this year alone. Currently, only the iPhone 4 is capable of making FaceTime video chat calls over Wi-Fi.







While the iPod touch lacks a phone number to allow people to connect for a FaceTime call, beta releases of iOS 4.1 show that the media player will identify users by their e-mail address.







On Thursday, AppleInsider revealed that Apple is testing iOS 4.1, the next version of its mobile operating system, on numerous unreleased devices, including the next-generation iPod touch.







«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 39
    Give it 3G capabilities, as well as a data plan similar to the iPad and I'm sold!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    By the end of this year there will be around 20 million+ devices able to run "Facetime". This is the unseen revolution!
  • Reply 3 of 39
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Shit, I guess they are not gonna give me the back facing camera, are they.



    More importantly it means that this will be a video only cam, and will not take stills. Since I doubt I would use Facetime more then once a month if that, that fron facing cam is basically useless to me.



    Hopefully there will at least be a way to hack the cam to take stills. It would be an awkward operation, but if possible will at least give some reason for that camera to exist.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    nceencee Posts: 836member
    Ok, so now I have to decide if I should get my old iPod Touch fixed and a new battery installed, or to wait until next month to see what's new That's a sad face because I won't have an iPod to use until then.



    It comes with me every where. I'm an on the road sales man, and I use the iPod a ton. Mostly because the radio doesn't always work where I'm driving, and because there aren't many stations playing classical music on the east coast. Not to mention the stuff I have loaded to listen to.



    Skip
  • Reply 5 of 39
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Yeah, face time is cool and all...but very limiting right now. I was already to upgrade my 2nd gen iPod touch when i found out it was going to have a back facing camera that shoots video and stills.



    If it doesn't....then I don't plan to upgrade.



    Heck....even the nano can shoot video for almost a year already.



    Deal breaker for me. But let's wait and see what happens shall we? :-)
  • Reply 6 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,415member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post


    Yeah, face time is cool and all...but very limiting right now. I was already to upgrade my 2nd gen iPod touch when i found out it was going to have a back facing camera that shoots video and stills.



    If it doesn't....then I don't plan to upgrade.



    Heck....even the nano can shoot video for almost a year already.



    Deal breaker for me. But let's wait and see what happens shall we? :-)



    Same here. Front and back camera, or this 'touch' never happened, and optional 3G like the iPad is a must.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Same here. Front and back camera, or this 'touch' never happened, and optional 3G like the iPad is a must.



    So everything the iPhone has minus the phone is a must? Then why not just get an iPhone? I don't see 3G on an iPod happening.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Same here. Front and back camera, or this 'touch' never happened, and optional 3G like the iPad is a must.





    Actually, I could live without the 3G. I already have the unlimited 3G plan for the iPad which is alot more enjoyable and useful for surfing the web with than the iPod touch.



    Plus face time is only thru wifi not 3G.



    So I doubt I'd use 3G on a touch. Wouldn't be worth it for me...and certainly not a deal breaker.



    Front AND more importantly Back facing camera baby, that's all I want. Oh yeah, and a faster chip....and retina display. Lol.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post


    Actually, I could live without the 3G. I already have the unlimited 3G plan for the iPad which is alot more enjoyable and useful for surfing the web with than the iPod touch.



    Plus face time is only thru wifi not 3G.



    So I doubt I'd use 3G on a touch. Wouldn't be worth it for me...and certainly not a deal breaker.



    Front AND more importantly Back facing camera baby, that's all I want. Oh yeah, and a faster chip....and retina display. Lol.



    As I said earlier I am willing to bet that there won't be a back facing cam and the front facing will be vid only, no stills.



    Here is why:

    If they want to keep similar dimentions putting two cameras in is almost impossible. There needs to be a space at the top of the device for the wifi antenna (1/3 of the device currently), a cam ( Another 1/3) which leaves another 1/3, but that is currently skinnier then the middle where the front cam is rumored to be, and will not fit a camera.





    Source: iFixit



    On top of that it has been noted that only a video cam (the size of the nano cam) will fit in the current dimensions.



    Which basically means that the new touch would have to be square and thicker then it is now, which I doubt will happen. Plus it would explain why the previous Touches did not get a rear facing cam: it would be stupid to put a video only rear camera only to have to flip it next year to the front.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Yeah...but we've seen 3rd party covers for the ipod touch that indicate a front and back camera. Plus photos of a back facing camera. Of course they could be fakes.



    But as cool as face time is, it's not universal right now. Having a back facing camera is MUCH more useful at the moment I think.



    As more people get the new iPod touch, then yeah...it'll be cool.



    But to have a back facing cam on the iPod nano, and not the touch is lame. Plus people want to shoot video and stills and then email them to friends. Yeah, you can get that on many cell phones, but to have a dedicated video recorder in your iPod touch, would make the need for a flip meaningless. Especially when traveling abroad, when you don't bring your phone.



    Just my opinion.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    No one seems to have said if this is a Retina Display. Or is it just the cover ?



    I think they'll add both cameras. The new Iphone is very thin, if they can fit it in that they can fit it in the iPod. Carryover iPod design from the previous version must not be assumed.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I'm with you Hoody. I think it gets both cameras too. I guess we'll all find out soon enough.



    But I really can't imagine they won't find a way to squeeze a back facing camera in there. This is Apple were talkin' bout here! :-)
  • Reply 13 of 39
    inklinginkling Posts: 731member
    I agree with several other posters. A decent, flash-equipped camera on the back is more important than a cheap, video-only camera on the front. Face Time is a good idea, but see little reason for Steve Job's obsession with it. If a conversation is important enough to merit video, I'll set up my laptop. I won't subject the party at the other end to a jiggly, constantly skewed, handheld video feed.



    And, since my cell phone has a camera, having GPS built into at least the high-end models of the touch would do me more good than either camera. Since I already have Navigon, a $20 GPS chip would turn an iPod touch into a $200 GPS with driving instructions. Those are the kind of numbers that'd get me to upgrade my iPod touch. I wouldn't spend a penny to put Face Time in my pocket.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    There we have it. Retina iPod Touch.



    None to notice that the LCD is attached to the glass?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post


    Ok, so now I have to decide if I should get my old iPod Touch fixed and a new battery installed, or to wait until next month to see what's new That's a sad face because I won't have an iPod to use until then.



    You could buy a used one off of eBay, then sell it again once you get the new Touch. Net cost: About $30-$50.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post


    I agree with several other posters. A decent, flash-equipped camera on the back is more important than a cheap, video-only camera on the front. Face Time is a good idea, but see little reason for Steve Job's obsession with it. If a conversation is important enough to merit video, I'll set up my laptop.



    Some people won't be so patient.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yeahsper View Post


    There we have it. Retina iPod Touch.



    None to notice that the LCD is attached to the glass?



    All Gizmodo or someone has to do is buy one of these $95 parts. Then they can see for sure whether it's retina or not.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    I honestly think 95% of people with an iPod Touch already have a camera phone. I've got a great camera on my Elm. I don't need a camera on every device I own.



    Facetime, however, is something that I have on NOTHING that I own. It would be a fantastic addition.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    All Gizmodo or someone has to do is buy one of these $95 parts. Then they can see for sure whether it's retina or not.



    Or they can wait until one is left in a bar.



    http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple...he-next-iphone
  • Reply 19 of 39
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Although if I understand correctly, face time on the iPod touch will require a mobile me email account? If this be true, that's a brilliant move on Jobs part to increase Apple's revenue stream.



    I already have a mobile me account, so I'm all set. But I wonder how many people who don't, will sign up for one just to get face time? Probably ALOT! lol.



    But that's why, in the meantime I hope it gets a back facing camera too. Much more useful to me. I want to shoot video and then have a quick way to edit it on the fly and post it to YouTube or email it to friends. The iPod touch would be perfect for this. IMHO. :-p
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post


    If a conversation is important enough to merit video, I'll set up my laptop.



    I think the point is that it doesn't have to be important. It will be convenient so you can do it whenever you want. A lot of people would rather see the person they are talking to if its easy enough.
Sign In or Register to comment.