Apple's government Mac sales surge 200%, enterprise grows 50%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds like Techstump operating under yet another pseudonym. \

Na, Techstump would at least make a rational argument at times, no history of that in the above.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    Good I wouldn't take a job where I was forced to use a PC or a blackberry for that matter!
  • Reply 23 of 91
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    And as usual, good news reported causes the stock to go down.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

You will do what Steve Jobs wants and you will like it.

All that Steve wants in this world is for all of us too be happy. Is that wrong?
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

At the government office we're still not allowed to receive a Mac without a special request which is close to impossible to get. Furthermore, they have not incorporated CAC card technology to Macs yet, as far as I know, so secured email cannot be used.

Our IT staff claims that they're working on it, but knowing them, I ain't holdin my breath!!

it is true that apple does very little to help with enterprises dealing with macs. it is still a 'me and my machine' mentality with a little bit of os x server thrown in. nothing on the scale of what MS has done for managing the enterprise.
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:

While Apple had just 4.7 percent of the home PC market in the June quarter, it took 9.7 percent of the market's dollar share. The numbers are even more impressive, Wolf said, in the European home market, where unit share is just 7 percent, but dollar share is 15.4 percent. The Mac's unit (10 percent) and dollar (20 percent) share remain higher in the U.S., "but Europe is quickly catching up," he said.

Looks like we're comparing Red Delicious and Jonagolds here. Apple had 4.7 percent of the home market? That looks like an overall market share. More confusing when this follows: "Europe [at 7 percent] is quickly catching up". Also, if 4.7 percent/9.7 percent are correct, where do Wolfe's parenthetical inserts of 10 percent and 20 percent unit and dollar share for the U.S. come from? Some clarification would be welcome, please.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Best to ignore them altogether, when you respond, the post will show on those who have chosen to ignore. Thanks

Thank you for saying this. People need to ignore all the trolls, but especially, they need to ignore the people who respond to people who respond to trolls. Because those kind of people are worse than all the trolls put together!

So thanks again for telling that guy not to respond to trolls because then people just see the response which is worse then the original troll. Thanks.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

At the government office we're still not allowed to receive a Mac without a special request which is close to impossible to get. Furthermore, they have not incorporated CAC card technology to Macs yet, as far as I know, so secured email cannot be used.

Our IT staff claims that they're working on it, but knowing them, I ain't holdin my breath!!

if only all of these geniuses were IT staff rather than complaining users!
  • Reply 29 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This is the news I have been waiting a long time for. It's a small start but the graphs are moving in the right direction. Oh, the potential! !

There is certainly a lot of potential but we need to remember that Apple already takes 1/3 or all profits from the PC market as is, would find it very hard to match HP's PC marketshare using it's current business model and be an impossible task to be the dominate PC OS with even just 50.0000001% OS marketshare with their current business model of making the OS for their PCs. Even 15% PC marketshare would put them over 50% of all PC profits if they didn't have to alter their business model to do it.

Quote:

But What's up with education? Someone at Apple needs a kick up the butt!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galapagos View Post

I could not agree with you more, This market segment has been Apple's stronghold

for decades and its crucial both in revenue and mindshare. It should be growing at an accellerating pace. There is something not quite clear about this, provided Wolf's numbers are correct

I think we may need to look at this differenty than in the past. It's no longer a requirement for schools to keep an maintain as many PCs when so many have their own. There are recent reports of college freshman having more Macs than any othe PC brand, as I recall. These machines used in education are surely counted as consumer sales (and rightly so) but we may need to include that as a reason for a decline in education sales... not to mention a recnt recession that could still be affecting education funding. I suppose we need to see if non-Mac PC sales are on the rise or if they too have been reduced to deduce a fairly sound reason for the decline.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    [QUOTE=SSquirrel;1700389 just look at the 886% increase for Android over last year. You know, when there were a total of 3 phone models available? .[/QUOTE]

Exactly. These idiots think that 886% is somehow impressive, but the truth is that pretty much nobody uses Android, and that is why it looks so good to see high numbers.

But just like specs, these numbers mean nothing. That is why Apple doesn't release stupid percentage figures because they mean nothing.
  • Reply 31 of 91
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Thank you for saying this. People need to ignore all the trolls, but especially, they need to ignore the people who respond to people who respond to trolls. Because those kind of people are worse than all the trolls put together!

So thanks again for telling that guy not to respond to trolls because then people just see the response which is worse then the original troll. Thanks.

You're welcome!
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galapagos View Post

But What's up with education? Someone at Apple needs a kick up the butt!

I could not agree with you more, This market segment has been Apple's stronghold

for decades and its crucial both in revenue and mindshare. It should be growing at an accellerating pace. There is something not quite clear about this, provided Wolf's numbers are correct[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Especially when you consider the massive growth of MacBooks in use by students themselves. It seems very off. I wonder how they define education? Perhaps only direct purchases by educational establishments. The actual use of MacBooks in Education per se is way up by every metric I have seen.

I think that these are Mac sales only.

The education sector includes a lot of iPads and iPod Touches, too.

• Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:

Troll elsewhere will ya!

Name one thing I said that isn't true.

Hello to everyone who put me on the ignore list. Ahh hah hah!
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Looks like they need to pick up their sales to the education market. After all, that is where early impressions are made. Oh, well. I guess budgets are tight and the schools go with the cheapest models.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Na, Techstump would at least make a rational argument at times, ...

I don't recall that ever happening.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

All that Steve wants in this world is for all of us too be happy. Is that wrong?

No. Just over-rated and convoluted.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Well, it's only a small fish in the PC market, it is pretty equal to other players in phone, and is essentially the only player in the tablet market.

I wonder what the government is using all the macs for. Not to say that this growth is bad, but Macs are on the expensive side, and I hope these are not just for personal use or have windows on them to run government apps (which all seem DOS -like with black screen and green letters).
  • Reply 38 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Well, it's only a small fish in the PC market, it is pretty equal to other players in phone, and is essentially the only player in the tablet market.

I wonder what the government is using all the macs for. Not to say that this growth is bad, but Macs are on the expensive side, and I hope these are not just for personal use or have windows on them to run government apps (which all seem DOS -like with black screen and green letters).

You also have to consider TCO which may include how long a single unit can be used for over, say, a $400 Dell, the cost of buying or developing additional software, etc. It very well might be the most exonomical option for certai uses. I believe they've been using iPods for many years over much more expensive dedicated translation assistance devices

Also, check out the cost to performance ratio of a Panasonic Toughbook. Now imagine what a US government designed and built PC would cost per unit or taxpayers.
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I woud not be surprised if the Macs were used to develop iOS apps -- especially iPad iOS apps.

I've read that iPod Touches are being used as translation devices in Iraq.

I personally have used Jibbigo -- and could easily see the Feds using a similar app for Farsi, Urdu, etc...

... Please speak into the iPhone Mr. Bin Ladin!

We won a $1 million contract in the mid 1980's selling 99 computers and 11 LANS to the US Army Command and Control College at Ft. Leavenworth, KS. (No they were not Macs-- you could not get color displays on a Mac at that time, nor CoBOL, Fortran, etc.)

These were used for officer training, war games, etc.

I can see this same use being done on a Mac Server, Airport Extremes, and iPads for about $64,000 worth of hardware (Retail prices).

I know nothing, here, but I suspect the Feds are gobbling up iPads as fast as Apple can supply them.

There are almost unlimited uses for specialized iPad apps for government -- and they do require an infrastructure of Mac gear to program and support them.

If it is still like it was when we were selling Macs (1984-1989), selling to the governments (Local, State, Federal) was different, but not impossible. There are lots of ways to make single-source, no-bid sales! If you have something that the governments want or need, they will find a way to buy it.

• Reply 40 of 91
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds like Techstump operating under yet another pseudonym. \

Yes, but (as pointed out several times before), he's here now as SendMe.