Apple filing shows touch-screen iMac with adjustable stand

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Maybe some could use it like a 'Surface'. That's probably the most visible use of a Microsoft product out there.

( I'm talking about all the news and weather reporters.)
  • Reply 42 of 50
    I'm not sure how I feel about a touch screen laptop. I remember HP was talking about making one last year and it never came out. The idea seems cool but a lot of ideas seem cool. There have been tablet PCs in the past and they never caught on.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think I?ve seen any display-based technology that can be as accurate as Wacom or other input-only panels. I think it might be a result of the touch panel needing to not interfere with the display panel below it, but that is just my assumption.

The Wacom Cintiq has a display with full stylus control.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

I believe DaHarder was being sarcastic.

"Intuitive" and "efficient" are characteristics not usually associated with MS.

Then you're unfamiliar with his posting history. He's of the "if it competes with Apple, it's probably pretty good" school.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Then you're unfamiliar with his posting history. He's of the "if it competes with Apple, it's probably pretty good" school.

No, I'm not...
  • Reply 46 of 50
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    If this patent becomes a product, I have no problem with it as long as it extends the Mac experience, rather than replace the Mac/Mac OS X. The iOS is a great OS for touch applications, but it's certainly not a replacement for a full, general purpose computing OS like Mac OS X.

The idea about iOS as a Dashboard replacement is intriguing. I had not thought about that before, and it makes a lot of sense. Dashboard is basically dead because all the developers went over to iOS, and it could make a whole lot of sense for it to take over for Dashboard. Their functionality is basically the same except for the fact that Dashboard widgets were designed to be used by a mouse.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    carymgcarymg Posts: 72member
    Fucking brilliant !

I'd always been against the idea of a touchscreen iMac -- "Your arms'll get tired quick.", I thought ....

But bringing the iMac to you instead of you going to the iMac ....

Typical Apple simple-yet-genius design philosophy ....

Go, Jony ! [it is "J-O-N-Y"" this week, isn't it?]

• Reply 48 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qualar View Post

The Wacom Cintiq has a display with full stylus control.

Nice, but damn that is pricey. I quickly looked over some reviews; nothing stuck out that it?s worse than for drawing than a typical Wacom.

I had hoped Apple would include a ?similar? option in their notebook trackpads.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Interesting....

but I feel like if you wanted touch controls on the fly, and you had to flip down you're whole iMac (say 27") that would be too much.

Maybe a special version iMac that has iOS on top of OSX and is slimmer with SSD standard and no optical bay, perhaps a smaller screen for touch?
  • Reply 50 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

Actually the posts about other uses is correct. Steve said it and It's practically carved in stone: There will always be MAC Pro type Apple towers with extended keyboards so we can get our work done. Someone has to write software for the devices.

Steve also said he doesn't see any future in Tablets and Smart Phones and that the future was task specific devices that connect back to one main machine. So you have to really only believe what Steve says as it's just to promote what Apple currently sells. Still can't see a world without iMacs and Towers.