Corporate IT departments relax rules to allow Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmmk View Post

"relatively inexpensive" ? I can go get a mini laptop that actually does Flash, has a keyboard, a USB port and a webcam for half. And it's already supported by IT departments.

It's not compact, it's not quick to type on, it's overpriced for what it is.

And yet consumers don't seem to care about any of those "negatives" of the iPad or "positives" of the netbook. Maybe you are not clued into what the consumer wants.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    bstringbstring Posts: 104member
    It's all in the headline wording. What I read is, "Organizations with secure infrastructure reject iPad access to internal resources, however some IT departments are willing to take greater risks when the opportunity for immediate gains in revenue exists".
  • Reply 23 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kaiser Permanente, an Oakland, Calif., health-care organization, has been testing the iPad in a 37,000-square-foot technology lab for viewing medical images such as X-rays and CT scans.

Anyone know where I can find the original report regarding this item? I'm unable to find it with Google. It is something I really need to find.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

I can tell you that the largest defense contractor in the U.S. has not approved the iPad for connecting to the company intranet and won't have a policy in place until sometime next year.

Well, 2nd largest defense contractor has no published plans to allow iphone or ipad.

Per one of our security focals-

"An iPad doesn't have the security architecture to protect xxxxxx data, so it's not available as a corporate device right now. There is a team out of IT Services which is looking at a way to support iPhones. If they find a solution, hopefully it will also work for the iPad if that becomes a company supported device".

Thats their standard answer, for years.

With iOS 4 released, may make things easier.

But to give you an idea how things work here-

Only managers are special enough to rate a booberry, unless they have VP approval.

We're still using WinXP and IE6!!!

Gonna finally change to Win7 and IE7 next year only because MS said not going to support XP anymore.

Cash rules, and if productivety increase cannot be proved, not gonna pay for an upgrade.

Security... well thats a little more nebulous. But yea, I can see where Booberrys encryption would be prefered.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I know! How can anybody use this thing? I mean, it doesn't make me coffee, so how can it be productive in a business environment?

It's a little known fact that the iPad does in fact support HTCPCP
  • Reply 26 of 77
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

I can tell you that the largest defense contractor in the U.S. has not approved the iPad for connecting to the company intranet and won't have a policy in place until sometime next year.

And that's surprising how? Defense contractors are the closest thing we have to business dinosaurs today. Ossified, bureaucratically-driven businesses with little to no motivation to innovate any more than the next contract requires.

My iPad has completely changed how I do notes and meetings, I consider it an indispensable piece of gear. I take it places I never considered taking my MBP because of the hassle and weight. It has also allowed me to view several apps differently. Apps I had on an iPhone previously, but never used other than a quick try. Now they are an essential part of my workflow and keep everything in synch without a second thought. My productivity has gone up, not magically skyrocketed, but even if it's only a single percent it has paid for itself and then some.
  • Reply 27 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Well, 2nd largest defense contractor has no published plans to allow iphone or ipad.

Per one of our security focals-

"An iPad doesn't have the security architecture to protect xxxxxx data, so it's not available as a corporate device right now. There is a team out of IT Services which is looking at a way to support iPhones. If they find a solution, hopefully it will also work for the iPad if that becomes a company supported device".

Thats their standard answer, for years.

With iOS 4 released, may make things easier.

But to give you an idea how things work here-

Only managers are special enough to rate a booberry, unless they have VP approval.

We're still using WinXP and IE6!!!

Gonna finally change to Win7 and IE7 next year only because MS said not going to support XP anymore.

Cash rules, and if productivety increase cannot be proved, not gonna pay for an upgrade.

Security... well thats a little more nebulous. But yea, I can see where Booberrys encryption would be prefered.

It all boils down to protection of proprietary information in an ultra-competitive market.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

And that's surprising how? Defense contractors are the closest thing we have to business dinosaurs today. Ossified, bureaucratically-driven businesses with little to no motivation to innovate any more than the next contract requires.

It's clear you have no idea what you are talking about. It is not the contractors being dinosaurs. It is the government they deal with that is the dinosaur in the equation.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I know! How can anybody use this thing? I mean, it doesn't make me coffee, so how can it be productive in a business environment? I respect your deductions on the matter, do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

i'd like a Mac at work but the company doesn't want to spend the money on it. we've had a few Mac people go to helpdesk and they always say that IT won't change anything to serve their special needs. get a PC. as it should be.

i've seen servers and software bought so 3 people can have a smartphone work with MS Exchange because it's some obscure phone that no one uses except those 3 people
  • Reply 30 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Having family in the military, that's not a shock. They are still on Windows XP at work and there are no plans to upgrade anytime in the next 5 years.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfan View Post

It all boils down to protection of proprietary information in an ultra-competitive market.

defense contractors have a long list of security rules they have to follow. that means being able to wipe a device remotely and manage it. like it or not RIM still has the best corporate smart phone management tools
  • Reply 32 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

defense contractors have a long list of security rules they have to follow. that means being able to wipe a device remotely and manage it. like it or not RIM still has the best corporate smart phone management tools

...and many of those rules are mandated by the US government.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmmk View Post

"relatively inexpensive" ? I can go get a mini laptop that actually does Flash, has a keyboard, a USB port and a webcam for half. And it's already supported by IT departments.

It's not compact, it's not quick to type on, it's overpriced for what it is.

You must feel very lonely with your opignion, sorry\
  • Reply 34 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andalou View Post

Is the iPad a great toy, heck yes! Is it a great tool in the workplace, not really.

Not in your workplace, but articles like this show that yours is not a 100% held opinion.

We have car companies writing up bills of sale on the lot. We have restaurants putting their menus and ordering software on ipads. We have hospitals using paperless charting via remote access directly into the main computer systems and so on

I use an ipad every day at work. It holds script pages, story boards, costuming designs. I can get and receive messages from other units as needed. I can create the call sheets for tomorrow, capture maps and driving directions, email it all out to the appropriate folks. And so on.

Textbook companies are going ebook at increasing rates making the ipad perfect for students. Which is why schools are offering the ipad in place of their traditional free laptop. I wouldn't be shocked if in a year or two, Apple's Back to School can be applied to an ipad just like you can upgrade your touch etc.

Westlaw is on the ipad via safari and they will likely do an app soon to capture the folks that find the current experience less than. Blacks has an app already etc. So even those lawyers are finding ways to use an ipad.

It's a brave new world and folks need to realize this and stop thinking old school. We scoffed and laughed at Captain Picard and his PADD but guess what, Apple has given us that very tool (and yes it is more a Picard than the big ugly Kirk version)

Articles like this also show why all those so called 'ipad killers' are going to fail. They are too late to the game. Coming out in November and December when the ipad has been going strong since April is just killing themselves. The market is soaked with ipads and will soon be saturated. Especially since these other guys can't give a firm date. Only a handful of places are so behind the times or anti Apple that they will wait it out (the military and relateds being the main one in this group).
  • Reply 35 of 77
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfan View Post

It's clear you have no idea what you are talking about. It is not the contractors being dinosaurs. It is the government they deal with that is the dinosaur in the equation.

techfan beat me to the reply. Those companies do OK with technology innovation, but their business process innovation is pretty much tied to the requirements set by the government. And then every congressman wants a piece of the pie for their district making it impossible for a single company to become more efficient because they have to work with 20 other companies in 20 different states, each with different technology infrastructure. Making paper the only common denominator for data exchange.*

* Ok, a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rockridder View Post

The only reason, and I mean only reason any IT department would allow an IPAD on the network would be because some gadget happy executives mandated it.

Amen.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    See this is what I can't seem to understand when it comes to the behavior of other players in the mobile market...

Google... Android on cellular and Chrome on the desktop and Chromdroid on the tablet perhaps... lol

Microsoft... Who knows on that silly kin phone.. something else on Zune.. something else on other phones and eventually Win Mobile 7 late this year give or take. Oh yea some other OS for xBox...

HP... Microsoft on some yet to ship tablets... Palm OS on some OTHER yet to ship tablets... and did I hear WinMobile or was it Android on phones?

NOW! I'm not sure if they have some grand scheme to takeover the world based on a crazy fragmentation-theory or are they simply running those corporations by the seat of their pants and simply REACT based on whatever is currently hot in the news.

And people wonder WHY the iTunes App store is so SUCCESSFUL *and* PROFITABLE (sorry for the poke at the android market place but their customers don't buy their software)...

iPhone = iOS

iPod Touch = iOS

iPad = iOS

AppleTV reboot ... no question about it, it'll be iOS at its core.

multi-Hundreds of millions of devices ALL with long established iTunes Accounts and ALL able to purchase and run software from the iTunes App Store.

Sorry but as much as I call Apple out for some of the crap I don't like with the App store management... They got the right game plan... No doubt about it...
  • Reply 38 of 77
    "50 attorneys equipped with iPads, and plans to issue them as an alternative to laptops next year"

Really begs the question....did they ever really need a computer? Attorneys have to do a lot of documentation. I can see an iPad as another device but not a alternative.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Anyone know where I can find the original report regarding this item? I'm unable to find it with Google. It is something I really need to find.

There's a brief reference in today's WSJ:

http://bit.ly/9Fbs2q
  • Reply 40 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not in your workplace, but articles like this show that yours is not a 100% held opinion.

We have car companies writing up bills of sale on the lot. We have restaurants putting their menus and ordering software on ipads. We have hospitals using paperless charting via remote access directly into the main computer systems and so on

I use an ipad every day at work. It holds script pages, story boards, costuming designs. I can get and receive messages from other units as needed. I can create the call sheets for tomorrow, capture maps and driving directions, email it all out to the appropriate folks. And so on.

Textbook companies are going ebook at increasing rates making the ipad perfect for students. Which is why schools are offering the ipad in place of their traditional free laptop. I wouldn't be shocked if in a year or two, Apple's Back to School can be applied to an ipad just like you can upgrade your touch etc.

Westlaw is on the ipad via safari and they will likely do an app soon to capture the folks that find the current experience less than. Blacks has an app already etc. So even those lawyers are finding ways to use an ipad.

It's a brave new world and folks need to realize this and stop thinking old school. We scoffed and laughed at Captain Picard and his PADD but guess what, Apple has given us that very tool (and yes it is more a Picard than the big ugly Kirk version)

Articles like this also show why all those so called 'ipad killers' are going to fail. They are too late to the game. Coming out in November and December when the ipad has been going strong since April is just killing themselves. The market is soaked with ipads and will soon be saturated. Especially since these other guys can't give a firm date. Only a handful of places are so behind the times or anti Apple that they will wait it out (the military and relateds being the main one in this group).

People are so cocksure of the iPad and its future. It will be a sucsess however the iPad will have less time before its "Android" starts out selling it.

One of the biggest reasons (not the only) the iPad is successful is that we are finally at a point where you can have a powerful enough device, that can be the size of the iPad, and last for 10 hours because technology is finally able to support it. Using Star Trek as a perfect example, these type of devices were invisioned log ago by many, not just Apple. Microsoft tried to push the technology for years, but every piece of their technology then was not ready.....battery life, small powerful cpu's that used very little power, wifi and wireless were either very slow or not around...all the early Microsoft tablets were hampered by technology.

The point is if Apple can make these devices now because the technology is finally ready, so can many others. Sure others will fail, but the Droid X or EVO are very good examples of how these others will make the iPad, just one of many, many capable tablet devices in the near future. Once a technology is mature, the price point begins to dominate the marketshare and success. Think DVD players. I remember when Sony was the player to get, at some point you did not care what label was on the DVD player and the lowest priced player that met your needs got your money.