Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Um, it's sarcasm?

NO. I was curious.

Yes. You got it.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

But the iPad does most everything better than a laptop.

I own several MBP laptops and an iPad and the iPad does nothing better then my MBP.

It has no real file system, you can't print, iWorks is a pain to use and the iPad is the first Apple device I have ever had that makes it harder to transfer files.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Well this turms the IPAD into a netbook. But wait, If I wanted a netbook or Laptop thats what I would have bought to begin with.

Its a nice accessory for those that want a physical keyboard and don't mind the additional weight.

Why do you assume that someone would leave it attached full-time?

You buy a netbook and you are stuck with a netbook full-time. With this you have the option of a netbook when that's appropriate (ie, long emails, etc) and the option of a tablet when you don't need the keyboard. Doesn't look like it would be very hard to take the iPad in and out as necessary. And it even doubles as a stand even if you don't need a keyboard.

They only flaw would be that I'm not sure you are allowed to use bluetooth devices on flights, as that seems to be a logical place to use this type of accessory. Perhaps a wired keyboard option would be better? (The downside being that you couldn't use any other dock accessory at the same time.)
  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:

But the iPad does most everything better than a laptop.

Not really. I have both. But I think before taking iPad to work.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:

So now those netbook fanatics have no excuse whatsoever. This is the last coffin nail in the netbook category.

Buh Bye, Acer!

Acer got a tablet coming, mind you! Apple must be pissing. lmao
  • Reply 26 of 84
    tdwstdws Posts: 16member
    It's fine to bring out a keyboard setup like this, but at the moment, keyboard combos aren't implemented fully -- for example, you can't "Open Location" with command-L when you are in the browser. Lots of other combos aren't there either. I unpaired my Bluetooth keyboard because of this problem; I really hope Apple fixes it in the near future.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

its not as elegant as one thinks

remember palm pilot, they had a fold up tiny BT keyboard for data entry

thats all one needs to be light and compact

something a student can use without the bulk

I don't recall a BT keyboard for the Palm OS devices (although, maybe I was just done with them by that time and missed it) but they did make a nifty little folding keyboard that you docked the device on and, although it didn't have the best feel for a keyboard (a bit flimsy), was great for inputting a lot of text. The whole keyboard folded up into a little box-like thing that was small enough to fit in a pocket, quite nice.

I like the virtual keyboards, though. Sure, you lose some screen real estate, but you don't have to carry extra stuff around, and they work quite well.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Ughh! Is Steve Job's the only person in the tech industry with any taste?
  • Reply 29 of 84
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Why did you buy iPad if you wanted a real netbook?

Because I Can...

Note: I already have several netbooks/ultra-portables anyway, it's nice to have choices... Next Up = Samsung Galaxy Tab 7!
  • Reply 30 of 84
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    If only this had a trackpad, then the iPad could be jailbroken and have 'mouse' installed.

netbook one minute, tablet the next.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Ughh! Is Steve Job's the only person in the tech industry with any taste?

I know- have you seen Dell and HP's all-in-one offerings? yeeuuchhh!
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, it does, in part, and your statement a) promotes the idea that one is either consuming or creating, that an activity is one or the other, and b) ignores the fact that there is plenty of creative activity going on on iPads. Using consumption vs. creation as a classification system, and looking at actual user activity, one can claim that a PC (including Macs) is more for consumption than creation, making it rather pointless as some sort of distinguishing feature.

Sheff said, "It has basically been common knowledge that the iPad is more for content consumption then creation"

You then called that a false dichotomy, implying that there is a misconception that the iPad is somehow only for content creation. (I agree that the iPad is for both creation and consumption).

My clarification was that Sheff never implied that the iPad is ONLY for consumption, as per his words "more for" consumption than creation, not exclusively for consumption.

Therefore, nobody implied a dichotomy. If they did, then yes, i agree it would be a false dichotomy. But no such dichotomy was posited.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    ...Never really thought about the iPad, but with the keyboard add on and the 64GB model, that would really raise its value to me in terms of real world versatility.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "the product dubbed "BL-BKB76"

Must have been named by Dell's marketing department.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

"the product dubbed "BL-BKB76"

Must have been named by Dell's marketing department.

• Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It has basically been common knowledge that the iPad is more for content consumption then creation though,.

This is interesting, wrong but interesting, there is a nice article on PC World about corporate IT depts and how fast iPads are gaining recognition and approval.

Quote:

A report from the Wall Street Journal states "The company's tablet-style device seems to be sidestepping the resistance that the iPhone and other consumer-oriented devices have faced in the corporate environment. Indeed, many businesses have raced to snap up iPads."

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._invasion.html
  • Reply 37 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Sheff said, "It has basically been common knowledge that the iPad is more for content consumption then creation"

You then called that a false dichotomy, implying that there is a misconception that the iPad is somehow only for content creation. (I agree that the iPad is for both creation and consumption).

My clarification was that Sheff never implied that the iPad is ONLY for consumption, as per his words "more for" consumption than creation, not exclusively for consumption.

Therefore, nobody implied a dichotomy. If they did, then yes, i agree it would be a false dichotomy. But no such dichotomy was posited.

The dichotomy posited is consumption vs. creation, otherwise, why discuss it as a point. One must consume or create, not both. My point is that the two are not mutually exclusive even in a single activity.

I also disagree that it's "common knowledge". It may be commonly said, or commonly thought, or commonly repeated, but 'knowledge' grants it a status I don't think the assertion merits. It's an entirely mistaken notion that consumption is necessarily the primary activity on an iPad. And, as I pointed out, meaningless as any sort of distinguishing characteristic of the device. So, why go about saying it, especially when most people spend considerable amounts of time on PCs consuming, and often very little creating?
  • Reply 38 of 84
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Why can't the iPad just be different?
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Note: I already have several netbooks/ultra-portables anyway, it's nice to have choices... Next Up = Samsung Galaxy Tab 7!

Must carry a bulky bag with you or don't you use them?

Buy just one, a decent Mac, save your strength and your wallet. That's the Apple Tax (hint: it's negative).
  • Reply 40 of 84
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

Must carry a bulky bag with you or don't you use them?

Buy just one, a decent Mac, save your strength and your wallet. That's the Apple Tax (hint: it's negative).

We love gadgets... can't have just one.