Smaller iPod nano without click wheel could be unveiled at Apple event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Rumors of a "significant redesign" of Apple's iPod nano have surfaced, suggesting the company could introduce a smaller device with no click wheel at its event next week.



Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors Thursday in which he said one potential surprise from Apple could be a redesigned iPod nano with a smaller form factor and no click wheel. Wu said sources have indicated that Apple has procurement plans for a redesigned iPod nano.



"We frankly are not sure if this model will see the light of day," Wu said. "But this would be a big departure from the design it has had since 2005 when it replaced the iPod mini. From our take, a radical refresh may make sense to jumpstart what was once its top-selling iPod."



He also noted that the image of an acoustic guitar in Apple's invitation to its Sept. 1 event may suggest that the rumored Apple TV update will not be a part of the event. Wu does not believe a new Apple TV will be announced, though he added that the Cupertino, Calif., company "may surprise." But the guitar image in the invitation, coupled with the timing of the event earlier in September than usual, seem to indicate otherwise.



"We find the timing somewhat curious and a little earlier than usual," Wu said. "Historically, AAPL has held these events after Labor Day and sometimes as late as October. Because of the timing and the image on the invite, we would be surprised if a new Apple TV is announced at this event."



He continued: "But then again, AAPL is known to surprise."







The analyst has also heard from sources that Apple will introduce a new iPod touch with most of the features found in the iPhone 4, including a faster processor, high-resolution retina display, video recording, and a forward facing camera for FaceTime video chat.



Apple is also expected to offer a new low-end $199 model with limited storage and the same feature set as last year's iPod touch. This would replace the current entry level model, he said.



Apple sent out invitations on Wednesday for its "special event" on Sept. 1 in San Francisco, Calif. The Wednesday event will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, and will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. AppleInsider will have full live coverage.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 61
    Sweet, I can see my album artwork even clearer now with retina display! And of course they'll introduce a camera for Face Time on the Touch, that would have been great last year, but then you'd cannibalize the iPhone 4 (since it only works over Wi-Fi)! I love the Apple innovation cycle!
  • Reply 2 of 61
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member
    I think Apple needs to combine the click wheel and touch screen, and draw a virtual click wheel on the screen only when it's needed. It would allow for a smaller overall package with the same (or bigger) screen size.



    And I don't think there will be a new Apple TV device. Maybe existing devices will get a software update, but probably just an incremental improvement. Nothing as radical as iOS on Apple TV. Not yet. That would be important enough to require its own media event.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Ahhhh, so that's what that tiny 2" touch screen shown a couple months ago is for.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    Anything smaller than 3" diagonal is waaaay to small

    For a touch screen.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


    I think Apple needs to combine the click wheel and touch screen, and draw a virtual click wheel on the screen only when it's needed. It would allow for a smaller overall package with the same (or bigger) screen size.



    Although an interesting idea, I think that if you had a virtual wheel drawn on the screen, your finger on the screen would block parts of it making selection and menus harder to use. If it were to go click wheel-less (I don't see it happening, as it has been such an Apple icon, and they have had a fun time defending that patent) I'm sure they could do something interesting.



    BTW, people are asking to go back to the square "Fatty" iPod Nano? I remember back in the day when the square iPod nano came out and most people hated the idea of the design.



    My guess, Apple includes buttons/touch on the sides or back of the device (I remember seeing a patent fly though here once about that) and keeps a long candy bar shape.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Please don't be real touchscreen nano . We need the iWatch!



    Seriously, if Apple made a watch that ran little widgets I could flick through that would pull information from my phone, as well as give me all my notifications on my wrist that my phone was getting, I would totally buy it.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    It could let me know things that my iPad or MacBook want to tell me - email alerts, iOS notifications, etc. I know all this is done via iPhone, but still don't have an iPhone because cellular voice service is almost nonexistant at home and office, so what's the point, but data slips through just fine.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post


    Please don't be real touchscreen non . We need the iWatch!



    Seriously, if Apple made a watch that ran little widgets I could flick through that would pull information from my phone, as well as give me all my notifications on my wrist that my phone was getting, I would totally buy it.



    Touchscreen watch which pulls notifications and widget data from your phone? Patent that. Or I will.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

    Anything smaller than 3" diagonal is waaaay to small

    For a touch screen.



    The size of a touchscreen is tied to it's uses. nanos are about music, pictures, and video. To say a touchscreen is "too small" (to be a touchscreen) is meaningless. A 2" touchscreen is too small to play some giant game, but then one doesn't play World of warcraft or car racing on a nano.



    Almost the entire iTunes mobile interface is set to work on a small square layout already. For accessing music and displaying cover art, that 2" screen might be very good indeed. The only real question is how they deal with the aspect ratio when taking/watching videos.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


    Although an interesting idea, I think that if you had a virtual wheel drawn on the screen, your finger on the screen would block parts of it making selection and menus harder to use. If it were to go click wheel-less (I don't see it happening, as it has been such an Apple icon, and they have had a fun time defending that patent) I'm sure they could do something interesting.



    BTW, people are asking to go back to the square "Fatty" iPod Nano? I remember back in the day when the square iPod nano came out and most people hated the idea of the design.



    My guess, Apple includes buttons/touch on the sides or back of the device (I remember seeing a patent fly though here once about that) and keeps a long candy bar shape.



    Think iPod touch controlls for fat fingers. No Click wheel. Swipe scrolling and big buttons for fat fingers. I can picture it now.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Rumors of a "significant redesign" of Apple's iPod nano have surfaced, suggesting the company could introduce a device a smaller form and no click wheel at its event next week.




    Yeah, I've been pretty cheesed out at how huge the current Nano is. It takes up tons of luggage space when I travel and just barely fits in a pocket. What a monster. And how unhandy to have a dedicated control that doesn't insist I obscure the screen when making adjustments.



    And that camera! Geez, they make me lug that brick around whether I want to use it or not. What WERE they thinking?!.



    I'm sure looking forward to a paper-thin Nano with thought-projection control interface so I don't have to touch it to make it select the next tune. And if it doesn't have on-board video editing in 720p30 video at minimum, I'm going Zune.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post


    Please don't be real touchscreen non . We need the iWatch!



    Seriously, if Apple made a watch that ran little widgets I could flick through that would pull information from my phone, as well as give me all my notifications on my wrist that my phone was getting, I would totally buy it.



    Who wears a watch anymore? The time is on your phone (and everywhere else). Watches are so last century.



    This just sounds silly to me. You're basically saying that you can't be bothered to pull your phone out of your pocket, so you want a thingie on your wrist to control the phone in your pocket?? WTF?



    Just tie your iPhone to your wrist.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    my professional analysis?

    well, there's a picture of a guitar, so it's going to be a music announcement.

    since it's not a picture of a TV, it is unlikely there will be a TV related announcement.



    as for the touchscreen nano: http://bit.ly/9tzQfR
  • Reply 14 of 61
    The click wheel is what makes iPods so great. You can operate one without looking at it. Touch screens are a pain for playing music.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post


    Touchscreen watch which pulls notifications and widget data from your phone? Patent that. Or I will.



    I'd buy an Apple designed heart rate monitor + iPod + maybe even GPS... in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    ivladivlad Posts: 739member
    If Nano becomes that small I feel like there should be no more need for Shuffle. I can see Apple lowering the price to $99 and $139 and drop shuffle.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Who wears a watch anymore? The time is on your phone (and everywhere else). Watches are so last century.



    This just sounds silly to me. You're basically saying that you can't be bothered to pull your phone out of your pocket, so you want a thingie on your wrist to control the phone in your pocket?? WTF?



    Just tie your iPhone to your wrist.



    I know lots of kids don't wear watches anymore, but they're idiots.



    A watch can tell you the time or enter stopwatch/timer mode far faster than an iPod/iPhone. If you don't need those functions, or if timing is not important to you, you may not need a watch.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Who wears a watch anymore? The time is on your phone (and everywhere else). Watches are so last century.



    I still like to carry my Hamilton 992B or Ball 999B railroad pocket watch--both keep excellent time and sometimes analog time viewing is more pleasing.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post


    The click wheel is what makes iPods so great. You can operate one without looking at it. Touch screens are a pain for playing music.



    Absolutely right. That's why, for my money, the best small iPod was the little clip-on iPod shuffle. Very compact, and you could still operate it by touch only, even under a sleeve or shirt.



  • Reply 20 of 61
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I know lots of kids don't wear watches anymore, but they're idiots.



    A watch can tell you the time or enter stopwatch/timer mode far faster than an iPod/iPhone. If you don't need those functions, or if timing is not important to you, you may not need a watch.



    With a watch I constanlt find my self adjusting it to my current time zone. not impressed.
Sign In or Register to comment.