Alleged next-gen iPod touch, nano cases show major revisions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

If there really is going to be a touch-screen iPod that small, the amount of accidental inputs from fingers trying to select one tiny option on a tiny screen is going to drive consumers nuts.

I'm pretty sure that the interface for that device will be pretty big and easy to use. We are talking about Apple here, you know? Customer satisfaction +90%.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    it's possible this is just a smokescreen story but if they size are dimensions are correct and the ipod touch has the same tapered back as last year, i hope it's at least brushed aluminum like the iPad. i was hoping for a slim version of the iphone 4 case but if it matches the ipad, that could be cool too. i just hope it isn't same shiny chrome look or black plastic.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    I'm thinking right now that, if that little thing does have a clock app, an alarm, timer, stopwatch, weather and some kind of calendar sync, that could be the big surprise of the day. Because, if you put that little thing in a watch-like cover, most sport-watches will have a big trouble from september 1 on.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

That tiny one has to be for the shuffle.. A redesigned touchscreen shuffle perhaps..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

shuffle needs to die. thing sucks big time. i have one and i hate it. battery sucks. the controls on the headphones cant get even a little wet (sweaty) or they completely short it out which is to say that this device fails at its only real purpose in life. its too small to keep track of (i've lost it dozens of times). about the only thing thats good about it is its got a sturdy little shell you can smack around. great, so its a sturdy little useless device that costs almost 100 bucks. wtf.

the nano could shrink if it ditched the garbage headphone controls and drop in price to a near shuffle level. if it gets to that size, say goodbye to the camera. theres no way they're putting an HD camera in a device that small meant for a gym.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Yeah, no point in Apple trying to get it right. You hear this sort of thing in most motivational materials.

Agree with the camera, that is really the only way you can get it into a gym anyway.

The Shuffle was never meant to have a screen or camera. It was designed for those active people on the go who didn't want to fiddle with a screen while jogging or working out at a gym.

Instead of a screen and headphones without controls, perhaps there can be a design of headphones that are less likely to have problems with people who sweat a lot. Personally I have not had any such problems. Love the size and carry mine in s small pouch when I travel. Haven't had any problems of loosing it, when not in use or charging keep it in a pouch clipped either to my computer bag or to my pants.

The Nano was designed for people who wanted something smaller than the Classic or later the Touch, but wanted a camera and video. Don't see deleting the camera option on the Nano. Could be that there can be a separate screen to replace the click wheel or for scrolling and one screen for video and display?

Think that the Shuffle will be redesigned (perhaps the smaller case), unfortunately, and will have some type of touch screen. I didn't like the 2nd G Shuffle, but loved the 3rd G Shuffle for its sheer and elegant simplicity. Suits my life style just fine. No matter what becomes of the Shuffle, there will be those who aren't happy?just as with any of Apple's products--can't please every body.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

I'm thinking right now that, if that little thing does have a clock app, an alarm, timer, stopwatch, weather and some kind of calendar sync, that could be the big surprise of the day. Because, if you put that little thing in a watch-like cover, most sport-watches will have a big trouble from september 1 on.

You mean like this?

• Reply 26 of 53
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    That 1.6 x 1.6 inch screen that made the rounds a few weeks ago is for a new Apple remote that will control the new iTV. You'll also be able to use your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, if you want.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

The Shuffle was never meant to have a screen or camera. It was designed for those active people on the go who didn't want to fiddle with a screen while jogging or working out at a gym.

Instead of a screen and headphones without controls, perhaps there can be a design of headphones that are less likely to have problems with people who sweat a lot. Personally I have not had any such problems. Love the size and carry mine in s small pouch when I travel. Haven't had any problems of loosing it, when not in use or charging keep it in a pouch clipped either to my computer bag or to my pants.

The Nano was designed for people who wanted something smaller than the Classic or later the Touch, but wanted a camera and video. Don't see deleting the camera option on the Nano. Could be that there can be a separate screen to replace the click wheel or for scrolling and one screen for video and display?

Think that the Shuffle will be redesigned (perhaps the smaller case), unfortunately, and will have some type of touch screen. I didn't like the 2nd G Shuffle, but loved the 3rd G Shuffle for its sheer and elegant simplicity. Suits my life style just fine. No matter what becomes of the Shuffle, there will be those who aren't happy—just as with any of Apple's products--can't please every body.

Could be the square shape gives the shuffle a bigger battery to power Bluetooth communication with wireless headphones... this could enable the iPod shuffle completely sealed to be kept free of moisture. And the clip on the back could make it work as a clip on your watch band, arm band, shirt collar, pants or sleeve. Power could be wireless or inductive.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Could be the square shape gives the shuffle a bigger battery to power Bluetooth communication with wireless headphones... this could enable the iPod shuffle completely sealed to be kept free of moisture. And the clip on the back could make it work as a clip on your watch band, arm band, shirt collar, pants or sleeve.

Good Idea
  • Reply 29 of 53
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    I hope they get rid of the chrome backplate. Besides rims and tailpipes, chrome is a useless material.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Good Idea

Thank you. I was just thinking of the way Apple has been heading with their larger batteries and advanced power management and wondered if some headphones that would be more suited to sports and fitness (Bluetooth wireless) could be integrated without the usual tangle of wires. It's a direction I personally would want to see the shuffle and nano heading toward.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Yes! Say 'hello' to the iPod sport.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    making a 3x3 iPod nano touch goes against the notion of using it for working out. Eyes-free function goes out the door and totally useless when you're working out. I can see how the UI might work and be an easy transition for people, but think about how you use it first. when you're working out (jogging lifting or god forbid biking) or driving in the car, you don't want to have to look down at the device to change the song or scroll through menus. I have a 60 Gb classic and I only use it for the car and work. I use it in conditions where eyes-free design of the clickwheel is perfect.

Don't mess with a good thing, the ipod design to date is perfect, save for a camera and wi-fi access to the itunes store. I know everyone on the forums have been screaming for a nano touch, but i just don't get why. I can think of at least 10 reasons why the clickwheel design trumps the touch-screen for a music player.

@Ividal: The current iPods already have a clock/alarm/stop watch functions and notes and calendar. and how would you sync wirelessly without any active 3G access while jogging? Perhaps at a gym maybe...

Secondly, the Touch is great how it its, just update it to the current iPhone 4 standards and leave it be. It's super thin, light and everyone seems to the think the screen needs to be bigger anyway. What possible reason could there be for a nano version of one? My thumbs are already aching thinking about a virtual keyboard on a 3x3 screen!
  • Reply 33 of 53
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

I can't see them keeping last years iPod touch model around in the low end either - they will have to at least add a camera to it, or more likely the 8 gb low end model will simply be the new mini version.

It's pretty much all but confirmed by all the leaks of new cases and parts pics that the new iPod Touch WILL have a camera or two and that it will be able to do facetime calls...
  • Reply 34 of 53
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

It's pretty much all but confirmed by all the leaks of new cases and parts pics that the new iPod Touch WILL have a camera or two and that it will be able to do facetime calls...

No company is going to manufacture cases unless they have a good source of info. Perhaps the Apple Mgr. passed the info to them so the info should be accurate.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    ok, here is my tought and I'm curious how exact my "nostradamus" prediction was when we hear what apple is going to show on 1st of september:

- first: apple is going to scrap the ipod classic! it doesn't make any sense anymore, apple can not sell apps with it and if they double the touch's ram to 128 GB the ipod touch is a good (but expensive) replacement.

- many people will be sad about this, but the ipod classic will re-appear as a limited "10 years ipod" edition in october 2012. to remove the classic from the product line makes this "limited edition" classic even more interesting in 2 years. a clever move!

- from now on, the ipod touch is going to be the main ipod. it will get a fresh new design and will have 16, 64 and 128 GB of ram and will cost 199 / 299 and 399 US$. it will get a camera and a higher resolution retina display and a gyroscope sensor.

- the target market will be music, games and the video filmers that used the nano to film. to different the ipod touch from the iphone it will NOT have a frontfacing camera and therefore NO facetime. it will also have a weaker camera compared to the iphone (3mp) but be a bit thinner.

- big changes to the nano: it is going to loose the camera and the clickwheel but will come in a very fresh and small square-formfactor. the device will be controlled via a squared multitouch display and a new user interface that will be based on cd covers but also lists like on the old nano. it will be shipped with the remote control headphones like the shuffle with volume and middle click button to skip, forward and start/stop the music. you will also be able to use the nano without looking at the display in a way like the ipod shuffle with voice output.

- a 4 GB nano will be sold at 99 US$, the 8 GB at 139 and the 16 GB one at 179 us$. to save money, apple might remove the dock connector and the dock. instead the nano will be powered with a tiny cable that is plugged into the audio-connector. there will also be a little clip on the backside to clip the nano onto a shirt. the nano will come in black and white as well as red, pink, blue, yellow and green.

- as the nano is so small now and agressively priced, they might scrap the ipod shuffle completely. remember: the nano can now be used like a shuffle and when the nano is in your pocket, it will behave similar like a shuffle, it will have the same remote control and the same voice output.

to clear up the product line has many advantages for apple. the removal of the ipod classic means the end of harddisks and its moving parts in the ipods. it also forces the people to buy an ipod touch which will broaden the customer base for the app store and apps mean money. the faster chip and the higher resolution will seduce old touch users to upgrade to the new touch and developers can focus on one resolution rather than two (actually 3 if you also count the ipad). apple is also playing the "want more...?" game with 16 GB ram for the entry touch but 64 for "only" 100 us$ more or another 100 us$ if you want to have the same space like in the old classic ipod.

even removing the shuffle has some advantages for apple: 99 us$ is a very seductive price for "ipod beginners", but still more than the 59 us$ they charged for the old shuffle. they will get 40 us$ more per beginner that would have bought a shuffle and is now forced to buy the tiny nano.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

making a 3x3 iPod nano touch goes against the notion of using it for working out. Eyes-free function goes out the door and totally useless when you're working out.

The whole tiny square touch screen is the control. Tap once to pause, once again to resume, twice for next song, three times for previous song. Completely usable without looking.

And I also believe this device will replace both the current nano and shuffle, probably keeping the nano branding. The iPod Classic will also be discontinued. Dedicated MP3 players are so 2003 and Apple has no need to carry three different models. One small nano/shuffle hybrid with built in Nike + for working out and the iPod Touch in 16/64/128 GB capacities for everyone else.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

I can't see them keeping last years iPod touch model around in the low end either - they will have to at least add a camera to it, or more likely the 8 gb low end model will simply be the new mini version.

Except that the old design has room for a camera so I can see the 2nd generation shape retained at the low end (like they keep the iPhone 3GS around at a lower price than the 4) with a FaceTime camera added. The higher end touches can get two cameras and updated design.

Apple tried making a squarish looking nano and it crashed and burned. One year later they were back to a tall slender design. I don't believe the square case will fit any product on September 1.

Flash prices have remained solid for two years now so the iPod Classic cannot die. Apple cannot sell any iPod with 128GB of flash at Classic prices without sacrificing their all-important margin.

The best shuffle design was the second generation with physical buttons on a small clip, but I found syncing through the headphone jack was flakey. I'd like to see that design return, but with micro USB for syncing and charging.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

I think the new 3cm x 3cm touch screen device will be announced as a "merging" of the nano and shuffle lines - leaving plenty of room for the iPod touch "mini"

I think the classic gets killed too.

Agreed. The 3cm square one is really an upsell from the previous gen shuffle but will probably be named a "nano" because the screen allows you to have more control over playlists. Previous nano owners who don't want the size downgrade of the new nano will get upsold to a cheaper entry price iPod touch.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    What's missing is a bigger iPod Touch. An 5" screen that would be perfect for gaming and $.99 TV episode on the go.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

If there really is going to be a touch-screen iPod that small, the amount of accidental inputs from fingers trying to select one tiny option on a tiny screen is going to drive consumers nuts.

What makes you think they would put a screen on it? why not just a touch surface of a small glass that you can slide over with finger to go to next song etc.