Alleged next-gen iPod touch, nano cases show major revisions

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

What's missing is a bigger iPod Touch. An 5" screen that would be perfect for gaming and $.99 TV episode on the go.

Something similar to this?
  • Reply 42 of 53
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

ok, here is my tought and I'm curious how exact my "nostradamus" prediction was when we hear what apple is going to show on 1st of september:

- first: apple is going to scrap the ipod classic! it doesn't make any sense anymore, apple can not sell apps with it and if they double the touch's ram to 128 GB the ipod touch is a good (but expensive) replacement.

Rubbish. iPod classic is a niche product that always sells well to the top end. There are people who still want more than 120 GB, and I have my doubts whether if we have reached the point where 120 GB is affordable in flash.

Quote:

- many people will be sad about this, but the ipod classic will re-appear as a limited "10 years ipod" edition in october 2012. to remove the classic from the product line makes this "limited edition" classic even more interesting in 2 years. a clever move!

... ahah.

Quote:

- from now on, the ipod touch is going to be the main ipod. it will get a fresh new design and will have 16, 64 and 128 GB of ram and will cost 199 / 299 and 399 US$. it will get a camera and a higher resolution retina display and a gyroscope sensor.

.... and toilets, etc. No, big boy. The amazing retina display, etc. will only exist in the 299+ range, while it is possible for the iPod touch 3 cost 199. But you still need a nano, unless you can downgrade touch to the 140 dollars range.

Quote:

- the target market will be music, games and the video filmers that used the nano to film. to different the ipod touch from the iphone it will NOT have a frontfacing camera and therefore NO facetime. it will also have a weaker camera compared to the iphone (3mp) but be a bit thinner.

We'll see, this is the biggest unknown, but I agree it has to differentiate somewhat from the 600+ dollars iPhone.

Quote:

- big changes to the nano: it is going to loose the camera and the clickwheel but will come in a very fresh and small square-formfactor. the device will be controlled via a squared multitouch display and a new user interface that will be based on cd covers but also lists like on the old nano. it will be shipped with the remote control headphones like the shuffle with volume and middle click button to skip, forward and start/stop the music. you will also be able to use the nano without looking at the display in a way like the ipod shuffle with voice output.

I seriously doubt they will try again the squared form factor. It was their ugliest version to date.

Quote:

- a 4 GB nano will be sold at 99 US$, the 8 GB at 139 and the 16 GB one at 179 us$. to save money, apple might remove the dock connector and the dock. instead the nano will be powered with a tiny cable that is plugged into the audio-connector. there will also be a little clip on the backside to clip the nano onto a shirt. the nano will come in black and white as well as red, pink, blue, yellow and green.

Do you have any insight whatsoever? Why pretend you are right on the money with the effin colors, for chrissakes? Of course they will have lots of colors.

Quote:

- as the nano is so small now and agressively priced, they might scrap the ipod shuffle completely. remember: the nano can now be used like a shuffle and when the nano is in your pocket, it will behave similar like a shuffle, it will have the same remote control and the same voice output.

Nice idea, we'll see. Another idea is to minimize even further the shuffle and make it 50$ again.

Quote:

to clear up the product line has many advantages for apple. the removal of the ipod classic means the end of harddisks and its moving parts in the ipods. it also forces the people to buy an ipod touch which will broaden the customer base for the app store and apps mean money. the faster chip and the higher resolution will seduce old touch users to upgrade to the new touch and developers can focus on one resolution rather than two (actually 3 if you also count the ipad). apple is also playing the "want more...?" game with 16 GB ram for the entry touch but 64 for "only" 100 us$ more or another 100 us$ if you want to have the same space like in the old classic ipod.

even removing the shuffle has some advantages for apple: 99 us$ is a very seductive price for "ipod beginners", but still more than the 59 us$ they charged for the old shuffle. they will get 40 us$ more per beginner that would have bought a shuffle and is now forced to buy the tiny nano.

You'll lose the high end of the market and the low end. It's a possibility, but why do it when you are winning the game? It's the kind of culling you do when you are trying to get inside the game.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

The whole tiny square touch screen is the control. Tap once to pause, once again to resume, twice for next song, three times for previous song. Completely usable without looking.

Slide finger up or down for volume. Yeah. I like it.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:

The whole tiny square touch screen is the control. Tap once to pause, once again to resume, twice for next song, three times for previous song. Completely usable without looking.

And I also believe this device will replace both the current nano and shuffle, probably keeping the nano branding. The iPod Classic will also be discontinued. Dedicated MP3 players are so 2003 and Apple has no need to carry three different models. One small nano/shuffle hybrid with built in Nike + for working out and the iPod Touch in 16/64/128 GB capacities for everyone else.

personally, i see that as annoying, not innovative. Apple may think this is the next generation, but I just see it as messing with a good thing. Look what happened to the shuffle. They should have stopped with Gen 2 (IMO the best shuffle they made). I'd better by another Classic before they discontinue them.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Slide finger up or down for volume. Yeah. I like it.

ok, how do you get to a menu...tap four times, up up down down left right left right tap? ANNOYING!
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

ok, how do you get to a menu...tap four times, up up down down left right left right tap? ANNOYING!

Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? The screen is both a touch sensitive control mechanism and traditional, yet tiny, screen. It accepts no look, touch-based commands for audio controls and very simple menu navigation via swipes and taps when viewed directly.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Are you guys being intentionally obtuse? The screen is both a touch sensitive control mechanism and traditional, yet tiny, screen. It accepts no look, touch-based commands for audio controls and very simple menu navigation via swipes and taps when viewed directly.

My earlier speculation re merging the Shuffle and Nano aside, this sounds like a better candidate for a Shuffle replacement. In fact, if that's what it is it probably doesn't have a screen at all, just a blank touch sensitive surface on a thin wafer with a clip. Even at that it's more functionality that the current Shuffle.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My earlier speculation re merging the Shuffle and Nano aside, this sounds like a better candidate for a Shuffle replacement. In fact, if that's what it is it probably doesn't have a screen at all, just a blank touch sensitive surface on a thin wafer with a clip. Even at that it's more functionality that the current Shuffle.

I?m with SpamSandwich on this one. I don?t see how an evolved Nano that plays video and is, as of last year, a video camera to compete with Flip, is going to have to those same basic functions but at a much smaller size.

I was thinking it would be larger due to the screen, battery and Nike+ (which is apparently a propriety radio frequency based off of 802.11), but Bluetooth also sounds plausible to me if they offer some good BT sport headphones.

I love my Shuffle. It?s the only iPod I?d ever consider re-buying even though my 2G still works great. I charge it (maybe) once a month. It?s simple and utilitarian. I want a new one so I can control my music from the headphone cord (like I do with my iPhone), have playlists and tracks played back to be, and load Apple Lossless files, but that wasn?t enough to make me go for the new one last year. I am hoping for new one that has one more new feature so I can upgrade.

PS: So far I?ve seen no BT headphones that were worth the money so if anyone knows of any please post some links. Thanks.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

If it's the new shuffle, then... what menu?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If it's the new shuffle, then... what menu?

What do you mean? If this is a new Shuffle with a display then it would have a visual menu. Since they allowed playlists in the last build (which are known by the audio feedback reading off the playlist names) then I would think that a more complex menu would require a display -or- if they decided to add a display because they also added BT or Nike+ or some other feature that requires some setup, then the display would allow them to make the audio features of a new Shuffle more complex.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What do you mean? If this is a new Shuffle with a display then it would have a visual menu. Since they allowed playlists in the last build (which are known by the audio feedback reading off the playlist names) then I would think that a more complex menu would require a display -or- if they decided to add a display because they also added BT or Nike+ or some other feature that requires some setup, then the display would allow them to make the audio features of a new Shuffle more complex.

http://www.9to5mac.com/22979/are-we-...-at-1-19-34-am

http://www.9to5mac.com/22979/are-we-...e-vision_small
  • Reply 52 of 53

That 2nd image in more inline with what I am envisioning. I think that the iPhone-like frame/antenna makes little sense on this product and the thickness would be excessive for such a small device. I?d think they would use a beveled backing, perhaps similar to iPad?s milled aluminum casing.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't put it past Apple to put no visual menu system on a device with a screen. Whatever it is, complex, it won't be.