Apple's shrunken 6th-gen iPod nano to retain 30-pin dock connector

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    I think it is both the nano and the shuffle. I think it will look just like iPhone 4 except small and square. So the line up will be new nano, iPod touch, and maybe the classic.

I am more interested in a new version of iWeb. I love and use the current version of iWeb to maintain my simple business site and also a blog. However I am starting a new project that will need a few more features. I would also like an ios version of iWeb for updating my blog while on the road.

But the best thing they could introduce is iTunes cloud. (which I feel will be called iMedia). I want to be done with iTunes. Yes, it works but I want something that I never have to think about again. This means all my media safely stored offsite and available wherever I am. It is coming but I would be suppressed if it happens next week.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Yawn...
  • Reply 43 of 74
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What has happened to Apple rumor mongerers? why you have all completely lost all forms of common sense?

1. there will be no 3G equipped iPod touch and anyone who even pretends to think so is a moron. you don't understand a damn thing about Apple or any of their product lines if you even slightly think this is is possible.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

What's in a name?

If Apple effectively brings out a touchscreen shuffle and calls it the Nano, does it not smell as sweet?

If the replacement, in essence, for the current Nano is called a Touch, is it not a Nano replacement just the same?

And if a new top end iPod comes with more screen real estate, do we get a new name and the one more thing Jobs needs for his presentation on Wednesday?

There does appear to be a lot of repositioing going on and that suggests to me that something like a 5" Touch is about to see the light of day. One can always hope.

This is not how it works. They either refresh a product with something similar, or they replace it with something altogether new.

try to keep up.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Now that I've seen that mockup, it seems to make way more sense. A tiny device with a small screen, the entire device is the screen, and you can navigate using gestures so that "Back" and "Menu" buttons don't take up extra space. Maybe it could even have some basic Apps, and play video too. I can't imagine having a browser in there though, or any other internet connected app. I doubt they could fit a WiFi chip in there, though anything is possible... We could have a timer, a clock, some simple games and anything the App store developers can come up with for this size though!
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What has happened to Apple rumor mongerers? why you have all completely lost all forms of common sense?

1. there will be no 3G equipped iPod touch and anyone who even pretends to think so is a moron. you don't understand a damn thing about Apple or any of their product lines if you even slightly think this is is possible.

? - why not?

And if you are going to use the iphone cannibalization argument - I disagree. Most people thought that when the original ipod touch was released - all that did was drive sales of total ios devices, and in no way slowed down iphone sales.

Most teenagers & students, people on lower incomes etc can't afford the hugely costful 2 year iPhone contract, a 3G iPod touch would be perfect for a lot of people.

Apple doesn't care whether someone buys a ipod touch 3G equipped or an Phone, they are making a decent margin on both products. And if someone can't afford the iphone contract, then apple would rather they bought a 3G equipped iPod touch than a.device from Dell or samsung.

Look at it this way - final cut express has 95% of the features of final cut pro, yet apple sells it for a fraction of the cost, do you think that is hurting final cut pro sales? No, it's simply extending the market for the final cut product line - and a lot of people who use the express version eventually go on to buy the pro version when they can afford it. Lol - its like a gateway drug....

I think an ipod touch mini is more likely to be the surprise device on Wednesday though....
  • Reply 47 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Interesting stuff, but are we sure this isn't a replacement for the shuffle instead of the nano?

Certainly a possibility. On the other hand i don't think Apple ever found a firmula for the shuffle taht sold well. The shuffle could be dead.

In any event a 3 x 3 cm screen is very small, if the device is only marginally larger than the screen it can't have a lot of capability. So maybe the shuffle is alive. I tendcto agree this isn't a Nano replacement.

Quote:

Also, why the heck would anyone want to buy a "case" for something that small? What a total waste of plastic.

Because they are influenced by marketing or like the pretty colors or they are a woman. Not to be sexist but woman seem to like dressing up their cell phones.

In any event i don't see enough capability going into this small device to replace the Nano. Rather i could see Apple taking the Nano in a different direction. For example keep the same general outling but super charge the video section. In other words it would become a MP3 player with a respectable video camera
  • Reply 48 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yup. I think HP is doing this now so you can tell where your HP and grab directions pretty accurately, without the need for wifi. All you need is offline maps.

Cool. I had no idea anyone was doing this yet. It?s something I expect to eventually be standard (as well as removing of optical drives from notebooks). But with the GPS I figured Apple would be first because they have plenty of knowledge of integrating GPS with the OS and supplying a service to go along wit it.

Obicule?s Undercover offers a solution but I think their business mode is less effective than it could be. They charge a flat rate for the app and service, which means the user has to be proactive by spending money upfront for it and think they could be victim. I think Orbicule could increase knowledge of the app, it?s install base and it?s revenue and profit per search by allowing users to pay after the fact for the service. How many people don?t have this app installed because they think it can?t happen to them? How many people don?t think its worth it until after it happens? Hell, if Orbicle doesn?t want to do it then a crafty developer could use that business model themselves.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

To the first paragraph, no. They are not going to be changing the screen size of any ipod touch. Bet on it.

The Touch itself no. A smaller touch based device however could be huge. Especislly if it was a hybrid with a click wheel.

That is without the midsize iPad everyone is talking about. If that comes Apple could shrink the Touch itself some.

Quote:

To the second paragraph, if the iPhone 4 storage gives us any clue, the capacity is going to stay the same maxed out a 64gig. I'm betting on 128gig next year.

IPhone 4 isn't a clue to anything. The flash makers announced new higher density chips about a month and a half ago that would go into production in September. The amount of Flash to be found in the devices could go up. I say could because Apple could try to save space for a bigger battery. Or they could use the space for additional features. Technology wise though they could expand flash storage by double easy.

I'm actually wondering where the Classic is going. 1.8" SSDs are available now that could make for a vastly improved Classic with 128GB of reliable storage right now. Yeah a little expensive but it is the last magnetic iPod on the market.

Dave
  • Reply 50 of 74
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Why the hell would apple put a 3G radio chip in the iPod touch!?

Streaming music. Think about it, and why they're sinking a billion into that North Carolina server farm. Listen to your choice of practically any music on the planet, anytime and almost anywhere you want. Unless you can transfer your iPad SIM card, though, another wireless connection fee will be part of the equation. Maybe a comprehensive subscription plan - 3G and X amount of music streaming, paid monthly.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I'm still calling that mystery app to be a HTML-5 content creator.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    but wouldn't this mean a lot regarding weight and battery usage? The iPhone 4 weighs 20% more than the iPod Touch. Can't be celluar all of it, or? The reason why I would prefer a iPod Touch over an iPhone is pure size. The lighter and thinner the better, and I consider i iPhone 4 pretty clunky.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rune66 View Post

but wouldn't this mean a lot regarding weight and battery usage? The iPhone 4 weighs 20% more than the iPod Touch. Can't be celluar all of it, or? The reason why I would prefer a iPod Touch over an iPhone is pure size. The lighter and thinner the better, and I consider i iPhone 4 pretty clunky.

Check out iFixit?s break down of the iPhone 3GS and G3 iPod Touch. All the additional weight and sizes comes from what is needed to include the cellular hardware, which includes the larger and heavier battery.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So will the shrunken nano still have a camera?

You are hitting the nail on the head, this is exactly the point, Apple would not downgrade the current nano and lose the camera. If only, they would want to add some wi-fi in a potential Nano in order to allow for some FaceTime. My $ is on a new shuffle with a touch screen...
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think it's something like that also. Either that or an iAd tool, or tools that combine both.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

That would be an update to iWeb. Html5 isn't a new technology, it's a language for developing web sites, the next standard in line to be ratified, after html4.

If you want to create html5 open text edit and type away...
  • Reply 57 of 74
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think it's something like that also. Either that or an iAd tool, or tools that combine both.

Nope. IAds are created by professional studios, iLife is a consumer level suite of software. Joe public don't want to create iAds, nor do they have the budget to place them.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is not how it works. They either refresh a product with something similar, or they replace it with something altogether new.

try to keep up.

It works any way Apple wants it to work. They can use whatever naming hiearchy they please. They can put whatever features they want into a product, sell whatever products they feel like selling etc.

To think there is a way how it works is ridiculous. Apple trhives on innovation on being hard to figure out in advance. Whatever Apple unveils Wednesday, it will not be telegraphed.

I do know one thing, though. Whatever Apple does, if it doesn't seem to make sense immediately, it will in time. Apple has been very good at laying the groundwork for future success, releasing product with impeccable timing.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

God I hope so. Did Apple learn nothing with the "stubby" nano in the past? Everyone hated it.

( as you can see by how quickly it was replaced )

if that's a new shuffle, that would be awesome.

a new Nano simply must keep the candybar formfactor. It's just too darn small if it doesn't.

I personally will miss the clickwheel... I can't stand having to look at my screen ever time i want to go to the next song... now if we had haptic feed back that might be different!

I love the fat-boy nanos. I didn't at first, but when I held it in my hand, it fit perfectly. I have 3 of them - I just wish Apple had made some with more storage than 8GB.

I'm hoping now for a 240GB Classic - I could put it on album shuffle, hook it up to my car stereo, and drive forever. Perfect for car trips. (I use a 160GB Classic now, lossless music).
  • Reply 60 of 74
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Um yeah they did..back in 2007 it's called the iPhone duh

Why the hell would apple put a 3G radio chip in the iPod touch!?

Get a iPad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Skype.

I've got an iPad and I'd buy a 3G Touch, especially if I could use the same SIM card in each. There are times when the iPad is too big.

I don't need a cell phone any more so a 3G touch would be perfect.

But that 3G module would half the Touch's capacity. I'd rather have a 128 GB iPod Touch. But I carry all 3 iPod Touch, iPhone 4 & iPad 3G with me all the time. So I'm not you.