Apple's shrunken 6th-gen iPod nano to retain 30-pin dock connector

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Um yeah they did..back in 2007 it's called the iPhone duh

Why the hell would apple put a 3G radio chip in the iPod touch!?

Get a iPad

Because voice is just an app, not an overpriced, monopolistic service that arose due to historical accident. The 3G iPod touch, if it is a reality, could be a crucial step toward more rationally priced voice service. More like $15 per month, free text messaging, innovative new communication options created by third parties with no long term commitment rather than $100 per month. Of course if you prefer to prop up anachronistic but politically connected companies, feel free.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

That would be an update to iWeb. Html5 isn't a new technology, it's a language for developing web sites, the next standard in line to be ratified, after html4.

If you want to create html5 open text edit and type away...

I think what most people mean when they say Html5 editor they mean canvas editor, or motion svg editor. That is something that is very difficult to do in iWeb and would need a new interface.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

Because voice is just an app, not an overpriced, monopolistic service that arose due to historical accident. The 3G iPod touch, if it is a reality, could be a crucial step toward more rationally priced voice service. More like $15 per month, free text messaging, innovative new communication options created by third parties with no long term commitment rather than $100 per month. Of course if you prefer to prop up anachronistic but politically connected companies, feel free.

I agree, Voice-Facetime over 3g would be the end of voice service, if rolled out right.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg View Post

I think what most people mean when they say Html5 editor they mean canvas editor, or motion svg editor. That is something that is very difficult to do in iWeb and would need a new interface.

Canvas editor? hmm. I think this would be a professional app, not something to be found in iWeb or the iLife suite.

Is Canvas even HW accelerated in any browser yet, stable releases or nightlies?
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

IPhone 4 isn't a clue to anything. The flash makers announced new higher density chips about a month and a half ago that would go into production in September. The amount of Flash to be found in the devices could go up. I say could because Apple could try to save space for a bigger battery. Or they could use the space for additional features. Technology wise though they could expand flash storage by double easy.

I'm actually wondering where the Classic is going. 1.8" SSDs are available now that could make for a vastly improved Classic with 128GB of reliable storage right now. Yeah a little expensive but it is the last magnetic iPod on the market.

Dave

I think you are underestimating the price of 2x64GB flash modules, especially compared to 2x32GB that they have now. I think they will skip til next year when they will be way cheaper.

A 128GB 1,8" SSD? That alone would be $300, If you want a $400 iPod classic, you are welcome! If you want, you can always hack your old one with one of those..
  • Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is not how it works. They either refresh a product with something similar, or they replace it with something altogether new.

try to keep up.

You seem to have all the bases covered there, Sport.

And your point is?
  • Reply 67 of 74
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is Canvas even HW accelerated in any browser yet, stable releases or nightlies?

It is, in Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview 4 (read IEBlog announcement). Feels surreal, but Microsoft has leapfrogged others on this one (not a stable release, though).
  • Reply 69 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yakovlev View Post

It is, in Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview 4 (read IEBlog announcement). Feels surreal, but Microsoft has leapfrogged others on this one (not a stable release, though).

Thanks. I posted about this almost 2 months ago. They say the mind is the first to go? or do they, I can?t remember.
    I find it funny that a single accolade toward MS for being ahead of the browser curve, for once, ended up with the reply I received about ?my IE victory? and the defense of the other browsers on the market. LOL
  • Reply 70 of 74
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

Apple doesn't care whether someone buys a ipod touch 3G equipped or an Phone, they are making a decent margin on both products.

The unlocked 32 GB iPhone 4 sells for $900, the 32 GB iPod touch sells for $400. With the iPad the 3G markup is $150. Assuming a $150 margin on the iPod touch and a $50 margin on the 3G add-on, an assumed iPod touch 3G would cost $550 and have a margin of thus $200 or 36%. With the iPhone they would make a margin of $550 or 61%.

Yes, both are decent margins, but the iPhone one is much more decent and almost three times as high in absolute terms.

Quote:

And if someone can't afford the iphone contract, then apple would rather they bought a 3G equipped iPod touch than a.device from Dell or samsung.

If someone cannot afford an iPhone contract, they just get an unlocked phone with a cheap data-only contract (and cheap voice contract with a separate cheap phone).

What you really mean is that Apple could sell a lot more devices if it reduced the price of the iPhone (as in true price = price of the unlocked phone) by a substantial margin because more people could then afford it.

Quote:

Look at it this way - final cut express has 95% of the features of final cut pro, yet apple sells it for a fraction of the cost, do you think that is hurting final cut pro sales? .

Now, what would be the difference between an iPhone and an iPod touch 3G? The built-in microphone and the Phone app. Does this sound like 95% or not rather like 99%? And if Apple wants to enable FaceTime on the iPod touch, the microphone will be there already.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    I remember getting totally jumped on a few months back for even suggesting that the iPhone was overpriced (comparing it to the Touch). Bigger battery+microphone+3G+GPS+camera costs money, but an extra $500 at retail? I don't think so, and I don't think Apple gets anywhere near that price from AT&T.

If (really big if) Apple decided to circumvent the cell carriers with a 3G Touch, they could make a very nice margin at $500. Will it happen? Not likely this year, but if anyone could unstrangle us from the cell companies it would be Apple.

I totally agree with sdbryan. Voice is just an app, and to me it's the least important feature of an iPhone. Most of the cell phone universe of users rely on text messaging at least as much as voice.

5" iPod Touch 3G 32GB for $399 with an iPad-style data plan on your choice of any major carrier - I can dream can't I?
  • Reply 72 of 74
    rune66rune66 Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Now, what would be the difference between an iPhone and an iPod touch 3G? The built-in microphone and the Phone app. Does this sound like 95% or not rather like 99%? And if Apple wants to enable FaceTime on the iPod touch, the microphone will be there already.

I don't think the average user would agree with you. First of all 3g coverage definetely isn't the same as full normal mobile phone coverage. A 3g iPod touch wouldn't have near the same coverage the same way cell's do. Also you would have to use Skype or the equivalent which all things equal ain't nearly as user friendly as the iPhone phone app.

So in the end a lot of people would still be buying the iPhone even though there were to be such a thing as an 3g iPod Touch.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

God I hope so. Did Apple learn nothing with the "stubby" nano in the past? Everyone hated it.

( as you can see by how quickly it was replaced )

if that's a new shuffle, that would be awesome.

a new Nano simply must keep the candybar formfactor. It's just too darn small if it doesn't.

I personally will miss the clickwheel... I can't stand having to look at my screen ever time i want to go to the next song... now if we had haptic feed back that might be different!

I'm with you on this.

It would be way to small for the Nano (in my opinion).

The trend to making all devices tinier is not necessarily a good one.

To paraphrase the Einstein quotation, things should be as small as practical, but no smaller.

As it is, I have never found the Shuffle 3Gen compelling and it even seems a step backwards in usability from my matchbook size Shuffle 2Gen with click wheel.

I am not sure where the Apple usability team has disappeared to - used to be that Apple considered that more. Now shinyness and tinyness seem, unfortunately, to be king.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The unlocked 32 GB iPhone 4 sells for $900, the 32 GB iPod touch sells for $400. With the iPad the 3G markup is $150. Assuming a $150 margin on the iPod touch and a $50 margin on the 3G add-on, an assumed iPod touch 3G would cost $550 and have a margin of thus $200 or 36%. With the iPhone they would make a margin of $550 or 61%.

Yes, both are decent margins, but the iPhone one is much more decent and almost three times as high in absolute terms.

If someone cannot afford an iPhone contract, they just get an unlocked phone with a cheap data-only contract (and cheap voice contract with a separate cheap phone).

What you really mean is that Apple could sell a lot more devices if it reduced the price of the iPhone (as in true price = price of the unlocked phone) by a substantial margin because more people could then afford it.

$900? Nah, sucker money right there, there is no way thats what AT&T pays apple - it'll be closer to the 2007 launch unsubsidized prices. The iPhone goes for as low as $650 USD unlocked in some countries, so AT&T would be paying less than that.

Edit: checked the apple financials - they confirm the iPhone average selling price (ASP) is $620 - so that's probably $499 for 8gb and 599/699 for 16/32 gb models, with the average pushed up slightly by some consumers buying the much higher priced unlocked phones.

On another note, if lower income people can't afford a iphone plan - I doubt they are are going to pay the absurdly high unlocked price and then still pay for a data only plan.