Apple's iPad order shipping times improve to 24 hours

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Maybe it's because the product is already over half a year old (counting from the announcement) and rumors about a new version are growing? It's just recently released here in the Netherlands. If it was released in April (or if I could get one (16GB 3G) at the store the first weekend :P) I would have bought it, now I'd rather wait for the next generation...

Me too. If it were released in May in HK, I would definitely have bought one. Now I'll definitely wait.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, as much as I would love to see a smaller iPad, I don't see how it's in the works if they aren't testing it yet, and they are still trying to ramp up production on the first model.

If they don't get out some decent software for the thing soon you can have mine.

I bought it because I wanted to be productive "on the go" sort of speak. iPad is a fantastic slouchy-type device for using around the house, but it ain't no mobile computer (unless you are talking the mobility needed to get from the living room to the kitchen).

I also disagree. I am a lawyer working in academia. I use the iPad for classroom presentations, email, Skype phoning, taking notes in meetings, reading case law, reading books, shopping, playing crosswords and scrabble whenever I have five minutes. I'm getting real value out of the thing. And my wife now wants one.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

I would say the demand has dried up. Not that my experience is hard data, but I have an iPad and four other people I know have iPads. We all bought them in the first month...I have yet to meet anyone else who has bought an iPad since...

Utter rubbish. In the UK Apple Stores people are still queuing up to buy iPad, in fact they can't get them in to customers hands fast enough.
  • Reply 44 of 103
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

If you want to be productive on the go, get a macbook.

but I CAN work with an ipad :

- omnigraffle

- projector

- iwork

- things

- issh

- jump

- others..

it's not a lie. I use the ipad in my paid job to create and manage documents and tasks. and even some networks monitoring.

of course, I still have a mac pro on my desk. but I do not use a macbook anymore.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Maybe it's because the product is already over half a year old (counting from the announcement) and rumors about a new version are growing? It's just recently released here in the Netherlands. If it was released in April (or if I could get one (16GB 3G) at the store the first weekend :P) I would have bought it, now I'd rather wait for the next generation...

no more new ipad before, at least, spring 2011.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

I would love to scour the archives of this site for the usual names denigrating the ipad. Those same people who said it would crash and burn, had no place in the market and would struggle to sell are now those same people complaining about the perceived lack of functionality based on their interpretation of what the product should be.

I think it goes both ways though. Before the iPad announcement, I remember several Apple fans here were telling us that nobody wants a tablet, that it's a solution in search of a problem and that Apple shouldn't waste time on such a project.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it goes both ways though. Before the iPad announcement, I remember several Apple fans here were telling us that nobody wants a tablet, that it's a solution in search of a problem and that Apple shouldn't waste time on such a project.

That is a broad statement. I was clearly in the camp that said a tablet using a desktop OS would not work and therefore would not exist. For years before the iPad came out this was the common mockup. I can?t even recall any mockup that tried to remain the UI to fit the device?s display. It was just Mac OS X, or later, a virtually unchanged iPhone OS.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

You're reiterating my point, not making a counter argument.

Apple release a new product, the usual faces tell us it will fail, then when it doesn't fail they tell us why we're wrong to like it. Even the 'hobby' that Is apple tv has sold over six million units. Apple know the market place and understand what the average consumer wants. They produce attractive products that people like, and people buy them. There is overwhelming hard data to back this up.

The imac revolutionised home computing, the ipod revolutionised the music industry, the iPhone revolutionised smartphones, the app store created a brand new eco system which revolutionised app distribution and purchase, including price point expectation, and the Ipad will revolutionise media consumption and our perception of what a computer is. That isn't fanboy-ism, it's a statement of fact.

Anyone referring to the ipad as a failure at any level is, frankly, talking out of the wrong hole.
  • Reply 49 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a broad statement. I was clearly in the camp that said a tablet using a desktop OS would not work and therefore would not exist. For years before the iPad came out this was the common mockup. I can’t even recall any mockup that tried to remain the UI to fit the device’s display. It was just Mac OS X, or later, a virtually unchanged iPhone OS.

I didn't mean it as a broad statement, I tried to make it clear there wasn't a consensus. I'm just saying that that it wasn't just the Apple haters (TM) or whatever other invective people like to throw. And the invectives are thrown from both sides too, don't get me wrong on that.

There were a few different "camps", I think a significant one said that the UI would need to be changed, if it wasn't clear beforehand, it should be clear now that a quick & dirty UI scaling probably wouldn't do the job.

Over time, I think I had several different opinions, but one major one was that if anyone could figure out how to make a tablet popular, it was Apple. I don't remember trying to make any prediction as to how it would happen or how it would work, though for some of my uses, a less expensive Axiotron would have been fine. For more popular use, it probably wouldn't do.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    Quote:

You're reiterating my point, not making a counter argument.

Apple release a new product, the usual faces tell us it will fail, then when it doesn't fail they tell us why we're wrong to like it.

I got the impression that you were only talking about the Apple "haters", not including the "faithful". This response really doesn't change that impression.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is a broad statement. I was clearly in the camp that said a tablet using a desktop OS would not work and therefore would not exist. For years before the iPad came out this was the common mockup. I can?t even recall any mockup that tried to remain the UI to fit the device?s display. It was just Mac OS X, or later, a virtually unchanged iPhone OS.

But we're not talking broadly. we're talking about specific users with a very definite response to the ipad keynote, when we saw there would be no full desktop os and had seen the device demonstrated. The same users who now deny the massive success of the device while making futile attempts at telling us why it is so flawed and that people are wrong to buy and enjoy the product, that happy ipad users are somehow deluding themselves. The five million consumers are somehow wrong to be happy with ipad, and these angry little people continue to stamp their feet. No flash? No Camera? No onboard usb/esata/sd ports..?

Apple are doomed! Lmao.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:

I didn't mean it as a broad statement, I tried to make it clear there wasn't a consensus.

Quote:

But we're not talking broadly. we're talking about specific users with a very definite response to the ipad keynote, when we saw there would be no full desktop os and had seen the device demonstrated.

Mea culpa, guys. I came into this conversation on Jeff?s post without reading the preceding comments.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    Quote:

I got the impression that you were only talking about the Apple "haters", not including the "faithful". This response really doesn't change that impression.

Nah, I'm talking about those who make nothing other than negative posts. The users of this site who would complain even if apple gave away free money.
  • Reply 54 of 103
    Quote:

Nah, I'm talking about those who make nothing other than negative posts. The users of this site who would complain even if apple gave away free money.

OK, I understand now.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    How about market experts who stated this would struggle to sell a million units, then upped that estimate when apple sold a million, then upped it again when Apple hit three million?

That isn't analysis or prediction, it's reaction to facts after the event. Utterly pointless stock manipulation. Why do these guys still have any credence? They should be embarrassed by how wrong they are time and time again.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oomu View Post

but I CAN work with an ipad :

- omnigraffle

- projector

- iwork

- things

- issh

- jump

- others..

it's not a lie. I use the ipad in my paid job to create and manage documents and tasks. and even some networks monitoring.

of course, I still have a mac pro on my desk. but I do not use a macbook anymore.

Yup, I use mine for work too, it's great and can't imagine going on a shoot without it. But my point is that it's not a laptop/desktop replacement and those who criticise it for not being such are clearly misunderstanding the ipad's place in the grand scheme of things.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    Quote:

But my point is that it's not a laptop/desktop replacement and those who criticise it for not being such are clearly misunderstanding the ipad's place in the grand scheme of things.

Apple seems to have gone out of their way to show that the iPad is a auxiliary computing device, not a PC replacement. You can?t even activate it without first connecting it to a machine running iTunes. Apple could have easily made the initial screen a splash screen with an iTunes login and resignation, or simply had you access it with no iTunes login, but they didn?t, and I?d think it?s crystal clear why not.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If they don't get out some decent software for the thing soon you can have mine.

I would hope you will find what you want (software that is) but if not, I would be more than happy to except your kind offer!

• Reply 59 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    All my local electronics stores have iPad in stock now, it is not hard to get. I have had mine since May, currently really liking the Kindle app, since they updated it to support search. Just yesterday I found a passage in a paperback I had read years ago, would have been impossible (or at least slow) with a paper book.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    --Duplicate removed--