Another next-gen iPod nano case shows smaller form factor

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dambuster View Post

That would be a win, the current shuffle is disappointing, still have previous gen. They can call it nano or shuffle or whatever, that size is prefect and a touch screen + controls on headphones = win.

ACK!

Moving the controls off the device and onto the headphones would be great if Apple headphones were worth using, but they aren't.

Since I'm going to have to buy third party headphones don't force me to pick one of only a handful that are compatible with the iPod controls.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The shuffle will gain a screen, and the nano will be dropped.

No. The classic will be dropped and the capacity of the nano will be increased to fill the void as the high-capacity iPod. In other words, the nano becomes the new old-school iPod while the rest of the lineup marches on.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    It better not be

• Reply 84 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Something else folks aren't thinking about is that if it has an IPod dock connector, and it has a touch screen of any kind, then it can both have apps (of some kind), and also connect to other devices.

A tiny 2" "controller" that plugs into other gear and gives you a few buttons to control it, or a display of what the doohicky you plugged into is doing, has a great deal of possibilities for device integration moving forward.

Most of Apple's hardware partners in this regard are dullards that haven't had a cool idea for years, but the *possibilities* are still fantastic for all the iOS devices.

Nice! Adding an iPod Dock Connector so it can be use with all the other iPod accessories be hte best way to boost sales that I?ve heard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Besides the Nike+. Granted, apple can add the receiver inside the nano, and that would be the only way to have controls of the nano via dock. But it'd have to work so a runner could still use their own headphones. I'd say 1 out of 10 sets of headphones will stay in my ears while running.

Imagine a simple Nike+ arm band with a pedometer and heart rate monitor that is activated when you plug the SuperShuffle into the wristband docking station. The app activates and you are good to go. And with that Bluetooth headphones option you can have a nice metered run without this cord flapping around.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They are already saturated, if they limit their limit they limit their market potential even more. Typically we see a shrinking of a product line when a impact is restructuring due to negative profit.

For those reasons I'd think it's an additional iPod over a deduction of iPods in the line up. If they remove the Classic then it could maintain the same number, though I think the Classic will likely have life left at a reduced price after they stopping up the capacity of the 1.8" HDD platters it uses.

All very true up till now, but consider that this is the first major iPod refresh since the historic shift away from dedicated music players (brought on in large part by Apple's own efforts with more sophisticated mobile devices) has begun in earnest. Apple isn't going to be introducing new products into a growing market that it needs to keep ahead of to dominate. They're introducing products into a shrinking market that will probably never see another viable competator introduced.

So it seems to me all bets are off. Apple could well radically shake up the iPod lineup, with the Touch taking its place as "the" iPod, and all other models replaced by something novel and quite different. Really, they don't have a lot to lose-- it's not like there's a great many people who are going to run out and get Zunes or Creative players just because there's not a sub-$100 iPod or nothing larger than 128GB.

Now, granted, shrinking market or no Apple still sells a lot of iPods, so they're not going to just throw some crazy thing out there with a take it or leave it attitutde. But Apple famously skates to were the puck is going to be, and the writing is on the wall for "simple" iPods.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    I can?t believe I wrote ??if they limit their limit they limit?? I need to stop commenting from my iPhone when doing a half dozen other things.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Agreed. iOS is basically a stripped down OSX, in 07 Jobs even stated the iPhone runs OSX. Essentially they can put any new UI on top of the Core OS and Core Services and they are good to go. You won't even know that it's iOS inside there.

I think it was WWDC in 2008 that had banners displaying ?OS X Mac? and ?OS X iPhone?. You can even find press releases stating the iPhone as such. Apple clearly wanted everyone to know they built this from Mac OS X but for ARM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

All very true up till now, but consider that this is the first major iPod refresh since the historic shift away from dedicated music players (brought on in large part by Apple's own efforts with more sophisticated mobile devices) has begun in earnest. Apple isn't going to be introducing new products into a growing market that it needs to keep ahead of to dominate. They're introducing products into a shrinking market that will probably never see another viable competator introduced.

So it seems to me all bets are off. Apple could well radically shake up the iPod lineup, with the Touch taking its place as "the" iPod, and all other models replaced by something novel and quite different. Really, they don't have a lot to lose-- it's not like there's a great many people who are going to run out and get Zunes or Creative players just because there's not a sub-$100 iPod or nothing larger than 128GB.

Now, granted, shrinking market or no Apple still sells a lot of iPods, so they're not going to just throw some crazy thing out there with a take it or leave it attitutde. But Apple famously skates to were the puck is going to be, and the writing is on the wall for "simple" iPods.

As usual that is a well thought out and stated counter argument, but I have a feeling that Apple is not ready to weaken the Nano when the Nano was given an FM radio and video camera and the Classic is still active and was updated with a denser platter just last year. Also, looking at the revenue and profits I think the iPod division has plenty of life left in it for the non-Touch iPods to still thrive even if the smartphone market is chipping away at their market.

For those reasons and others I am going all in as this being an evolution of the Shuffle, maybe replacing it or being an addition to the simple Shuffle design, and the Nano continuing to take on Flip cameras with improved video, with possibly a still camera and WiFi for quick uploads via 802.11b/g? something I hear the next Flip cameras will have, along with YouTube player and FaceTime.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfpseller View Post

Who would like a browser on that tiny screen?

I love the 2nd generation Shuffle. Upgrade is not always good

I agree... I thought the 2nd gen shuffle was perfect. I hope the postage stamp thing is not a replacement for the nano.
  • Reply 89 of 100
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

There would be no redevelopment required from ipad to iTV. Similar ratio and resolution. Apple are not about to add a third developer route. It's osx or iOS. And, eventually, these two will integrate.

So there are touch screen TVs out there. Can you give model numbers?
  • Reply 90 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it was WWDC in 2008 that had banners displaying “OS X Mac” and “OS X iPhone”. You can even find press releases stating the iPhone as such. Apple clearly wanted everyone to know they built this from Mac OS X but for ARM.

As usual that is a well thought out and stated counter argument, but I have a feeling that Apple is not ready to weaken the Nano when the Nano was given an FM radio and video camera and the Classic is still active and was updated with a denser platter just last year. Also, looking at the revenue and profits I think the iPod division has plenty of life left in it for the non-Touch iPods to still thrive even if the smartphone market is chipping away at their market.

For those reasons and others I am going all in as this being an evolution of the Shuffle, maybe replacing it or being an addition to the simple Shuffle design, and the Nano continuing to take on Flip cameras with improved video, with possibly a still camera and WiFi for quick uploads via 802.11b/g… something I hear the next Flip cameras will have, along with YouTube player and FaceTime.

I have to admit that you're probably right-- but I wouldn't entirely discount Apple's capacity to just do something slightly crazy that pisses a bunch of people off, in service to their vision of the future. Sometimes the timing on these big shifts seems premature, but they generally pan out in the long run.

The complicating factor, IMO, is that there's simply no way to replicate the Touch/iPhone experience in anything much smaller than the current hardware. I've always maintained that an iPhone "Nano" is unlikely, because Apple made the original iPhone as small as they could while still delivering the UI they felt they wanted. If they could just scale it down, I have no doubt that Apple would love to unify its mobile offerings across the board. Given that that's not possible, stand alone music players are increasingly going to be the odd man out in Apple's lineup. That's why I think that at some point (even if it's not this time) Apple will choose to treat "everything that's not a Touch" as one category, and give it some kind of distinguishing, "touch lite" UI.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

So there are touch screen TVs out there. Can you give model numbers?

Oh yeah! You can touch the screen on every TV. It won?t do anything, but you can touch it.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

you're either stupid, blinded by arrogance, have no technical understanding of scaling interfaces. Or you're a complete dick. You decide.

ROFL What a pathetic ignorant.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, who says? The September iPod event is a given, but Apple doesn't have a tradition of doing two "fall events". The October laptop event happened because the chips had come out. There's nothing that says anywhere that Apple will do two events...

November will see a second Apple Event when they unveil iOS4 for iPad... plus whatever... 7" mini-pad? (ok ok just kidding on the name!!)
  • Reply 94 of 100
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

i have to say the iPod pico sounds nice!

I'm thinking this will be an iPod Shuffle Plus. Unless I'm wrong, I believe the Nano is still selling well enough and this iPod will be too small for a still/video camera.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    plaiplai Posts: 8member
    Here's an accessory concept we did for the (perhaps) new iPod shuffle:

cheers!
  • Reply 96 of 100
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can't let this topic stay at 99 comments. Here's to 100.

Can't leave a reply with no substance so I'm gonna say that that pressure sensor is cool, but won't make it to the new iPod Square or iTV Remote or whatever this turns out to be because it does not look very comfortable.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Plai View Post

Here's an accessory concept we did for the (perhaps) new iPod shuffle:

cheers!

Wow, that's pretty sick. I could dig that.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    As long as we're cross-posting...

• Reply 99 of 100
    I think the train of thought that the click wheeled nano is gone is wrong. There could be 2 models the nano and the nano touch just like the ipod classic and ipod touch one is always going to have more space then the other. My fingures are crossed that they at least bump the base model from 8 to 16gb especially if it has video capabilities!
  • Reply 100 of 100
    jaqlenejaqlene Posts: 1member
    I also have the same issue with my current skin,the water get entered even when the skin is on so i am thinking to change it and look forward here http://decalskin.com/ for the new skins as i have heard that the qualtiy and durability is great here.